A quick update - November 24th

All news and changes to the Eldemore website will be posted here.

A quick update - November 24th

Postby Zayin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 am

Hey everyone, I'm here to post a quick update. Trading is probably 95% done now. You can successfully create, send, accept, modify, and manage trades. All the rules are in place like we had before for locking trade groups, friends only, and all that. You can also create a trade from the Trading Post by searching out a user right there.

I've also been building some admin tools for managing the site, had to fix bad data issues with the currency transactions, and had to update the forums to the latest version. The latest version was actually not compatible with my php version, so I had to fix a few bugs in there to make it work.

Currently I'm still trying to finish up things with trading, man it's been one of the most complex part of all this. I still need to add those "Pets on my wishlist" groups. Then there's a bug with the login system. The login logic is a bit janky since it's tied to the phpBB forum login, so I'm going to try and find a more stable solution for that that doesn't require everyone to sign in to both the forums and Eldemore.

I'm also working on a better design of our event cinematic system, something that will hopefully be a lot more manageable than our last. The current event cinematic system is great, but it was a big pain to get those stories coded in. Trying to make something that's easier to work with and will allow users to replay scenes later. Can't promise this will be available on launch day, but it's a big part of our site.

For now, just know that work is always ongoing. Thanks for the continued words of encouragement, it is nice to see others holding out hope. I'll keep updating as more gets completed.

Forevermore wrote:

-Site Help Corner-

Report Site Glitches Here

Rarity Updates

Site & Forum Rules

Eldemore Lore & Info

"To Watch and Protect"

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Zayin
Code Wizard

Re: A quick update - November 24th

Postby Sphye » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:18 am

Glad to hear how the site work is going! Wishing you the best of luck in figuring out how to get around that login issue.
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Dwemeri » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:01 am

Glad to hear about all the progress!
<3
Image Image
Dwemeri

Postby Uspar » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks for the update <3
I came back after over a year and there is still 0 commuication. Disgraceful behaviour
Uspar

Postby Sany » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Thank you for the update, and good luck with current (and probably future) big fixing!

F O L L O W lalaY O U R lala D R E A M S

My Hoards
♥ Jackalopes
♥ Stage 1 Otterlings
♥ Cuttlefish
♥ Stage 1 Foo Dogs
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
lalalalalala
Haiia, I'm your average Eldemore addict!
I love all sorts of art, such as music,
crochet, photography and painting!
In real life, I'm a busy PhD student
and teaching assistent in medical sciences.
Oh, did I mention I'm a total Eld addict? ♥

lalalalalalalalalaT H E Y lala K N O W lala T H E lala W A Y
Sany

Postby Startedraining » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Good luck with the bug fixes Zayin!

Can you explain better the forum login problem? Is eldemore straying from the phpbb that much that they’re not compatible? 0:
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Zayin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 am

Startedraining wrote:

Can you explain better the forum login problem? Is eldemore straying from the phpbb that much that they’re not compatible? 0:

They are two separate systems at this point. You've probably seen some other sites where they have the site, and the forums look different, and you perhaps have to log in to the forums separately. It's like that here, but I'm trying to keep them very similar looking, and not require you to log in to both.

So far, I've been logging in to the forums and having that trigger a login on Eldemore, but the code for that is a little janky, and I've been having problems where I'm still logged on in Eldemore but not in the forums, and I'm not 100% sure this is all secure yet.

So I need to take a second look at this and see if there's a better way to address it, like maybe moving login to Eldemore and setting up the forums to be automatic.

Forevermore wrote:

-Site Help Corner-

Rarity Updates

Site & Forum Rules

Eldemore Lore & Info

"To Watch and Protect"

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Zayin
Code Wizard

Postby Startedraining » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Zayin wrote:
Startedraining wrote:

They are two separate systems at this point. You've probably seen some other sites where they have the site, and the forums look different, and you perhaps have to log in to the forums separately. It's like that here, but I'm trying to keep them very similar looking, and not require you to log in to both.

So far, I've been logging in to the forums and having that trigger a login on Eldemore, but the code for that is a little janky, and I've been having problems where I'm still logged on in Eldemore but not in the forums, and I'm not 100% sure this is all secure yet.

So I need to take a second look at this and see if there's a better way to address it, like maybe moving login to Eldemore and setting up the forums to be automatic.

Thanks Zayin! that does seem >:/ irksome to say the least. I suppose it would be MUCH too difficult to create your own forum & keep all of the original data intact, so that'll have to work. I believe in your amazing skills! you have worked so hard and we're all very proud and excited to see how it comes along.

Was the custom-coding you had to do for the codex, trading, and homestead initially non-communicable to phpbb? were they [the new features] just too complex for phpbb, and was the shift a planned thing? o: what has changed from the way it runs now to the new changes? (if its not too detailed for you to delve into that is ,,, we love you but i dont want to waste your time!)

i dont know if i phrased these questions well ;w;
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Kiinotasha » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:50 pm

I would like to hear this as well if you have the time, I find all of it really fascinating and the work that you put into this site continues to amaze me. Please keep up the amazing work and I wish your health and codes go smoothly!
"It has been said that 'Time heals all wounds', I do not agree. The wounds remain in time the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." -Rose Kenady
ImageBy Skelisteri
ImageImageImage
Kiinotasha

Postby Zayin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:22 am

Startedraining wrote:
Thanks Zayin! that does seem >:/ irksome to say the least. I suppose it would be MUCH too difficult to create your own forum & keep all of the original data intact, so that'll have to work. I believe in your amazing skills! you have worked so hard and we're all very proud and excited to see how it comes along.

Was the custom-coding you had to do for the codex, trading, and homestead initially non-communicable to phpbb? were they [the new features] just too complex for phpbb, and was the shift a planned thing? o: what has changed from the way it runs now to the new changes? (if its not too detailed for you to delve into that is ,,, we love you but i dont want to waste your time!)

i dont know if i phrased these questions well ;w;

Thanks! Yeah, in a perfect world, I'd build forums for Eldemore, but that would be a whole lot of extra work, and there would be a lot of missing features. Phpbb is very mature, well supported, and is what we're all used to.

All of the custom code for Eldemore is written in the php language, just plain php. Phpbb serves as a thin framework in that it manages login sessions, user accounts, permissions, database connections, and the main layout. It sets all that stuff up so I can do my custom stuff, and beyond that, I'm on my own. It doesn't really provide any data modeling, pre-built functions, or utilities for automation, which are the type of things you'd get from a fully-fledged framework like I'm using now. If I wanted better tools, I had to build them myself. So there was a lot of manual labor involved in managing this site, I was unable to automate tasks to the extent we needed.

Plus, this version of phpbb was released in 2007. That's like driving around a car from the early 90's. I'm totally unable to update the forums because of all the custom stuff I've done. So all in all, Eldemore development is just really difficult on this current site. Imagine putting together a few hundred pieces of furniture, but you can only use those little allen wrenches that come in the box. No electronic drills!

So was this revamp planned? It's something I had been pushing towards for a while, but it wasn't planned way ahead of time. I knew for years that it needed to be done though.

So the new site is a separate system from the forums. That way I can keep the forums up to date and the Eldemore code won't interfere. I can do whatever I want with Eldemore and it won't break the forums. Eldemore has its own framework, its own layout, code, etc, but I'm also trying to keep the two seamless. Now, Eldemore doesn't have a login page of its own, I'm just sending the user to the forum login page. When you log in to the forums, the first time you go back to Eldemore, I have Eldemore intercept the forum session cookie and say "oh, this person is logged in on the forums, so let's log them in to Eldemore". Because the two don't really talk to each other directly. But whatever rules there are for session expiration in the forums don't affect Eldemore, so the session dies for whatever reason in the forums and Eldemore still has you logged in.

I think that's the best summary I can give, I hope that makes some sense. :)

Forevermore wrote:

-Site Help Corner-

Rarity Updates

Site & Forum Rules

Eldemore Lore & Info

"To Watch and Protect"

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Zayin
Code Wizard

Next