Friends and Foals - A C C E P T I N G!

Post role plays centered around the realistic world of animals from books, movies, and games.

Friends and Foals - A C C E P T I N G!

Postby starrystarrynight » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:32 am

Friends and Foals

Quiet is the forest, still
A hoof print near my bank.
Cautious eyes, brown and bold
Steady movement in their flank.

And yonder valleys bask in red
As my horizon holds the sun.
A white tail flicks through thickets quick,
Still, the ground knows where it’s run.

My grass, it grows, at burning rates
That so my deer can graze with ease.
The sun-struck land watches all and all,
Save the sighing in the breeze.

Quick upon my starred sky night,
Two gold reflections emerge of brush.
Antlers crash and prancers dash,
But my land lulls in a hush.

A trampled patch of meadow’s grass,
The moon turns a darker cheek.
A splash across the rocky brook,
A wind too numb to speak.

Muscles flex and hooves dig in
My drunken soil shore.
Broken roots flee down the stream
To be forgotten by the morn’

Bark stripped limbs, my fleshy core,
Bend and buckle to their need.
Blinded ‘til the rise of light,
When the grass grows without heed.

^^^A herd of deer try to survive out in the woods^^^ Dangers lie ahead of them, wolves, wildcats, dogs, humans, cars, everything. Will they survive?
══════════════.•♥•.══════════════════════════════════════════╗

Image Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Quiet is the forest, still, a hoof print near my bank. Cautious eyes, brown and bold, steady movement in their flank. Quick upon my starred sky night, two gold reflections emerge of brush. Antlers crash and prancers dash, but my land lulls in a hush.
So, you think you know me? So be it.

═══════════════════════════════════════════.•♥•.═════════════╝
starrystarrynight

Re: Friends and Foals - A C C E P T I N G!

Deer (singular and plural) are the ruminant mammals that comprise the family Cervidae. Species therein include white-tailed deer, such mule deer as black-tailed deer, elk, moose, red deer, reindeer (caribou) fallow deer, roe deer, pudú and chital. Male deer of all species (except the Chinese water deer) and female reindeer grow and shed new antlers each year, thereby differing from such permanently horned animals as antelope, which are in the same order as deer and may be superficially similar. The musk deer of Asia and water chevrotain (or mouse deer) of tropical African and Asian forests are not usually regarded to be deer and form their own families: Moschidae and Tragulidae, respectively.

For most types of deer in modern English usage, the male is called a "buck" and the female is termed a "doe", but the terms vary with dialect, and especially according to the size of the species. For many larger deer the male is termed a "stag", while for other larger deer the same words are used as for cattle: "bull" and "cow". The male red deer is a "hart", especially if more than five years old, and the female is a "hind", especially if three or more years old; both terms can also be used for any species of deer, and were widely so used in the past.[3] Terms for young deer vary similarly, with that of most smaller species being called a "fawn" and that of most larger species "calf"; young of the smallest kinds may be a kid. A castrated male deer is a "havier".[4] A group of deer of any kind is a "herd". The adjective of relation pertaining to deer is cervine; like the family name "Cervidae", this is from Latin: cervus, "deer".

(also, as it says, babies are called "fawns", but the title had to be interesing, y'know? Foes = foals, haha)

Image Image

Quiet is the forest, still, a hoof print near my bank. Cautious eyes, brown and bold, steady movement in their flank. Quick upon my starred sky night, two gold reflections emerge of brush. Antlers crash and prancers dash, but my land lulls in a hush.

starrystarrynight

Deer live in a variety of biomes ranging from tundra to the tropical rainforest. While often associated with forests, many deer are ecotone species that live in transitional areas between forests and thickets (for cover) and prairie and savanna (open space). The majority of large deer species inhabit temperate mixed deciduous forest, mountain mixed coniferous forest, tropical seasonal/dry forest, and savanna habitats around the world. Clearing open areas within forests to some extent may actually benefit deer populations by exposing the understory and allowing the types of grasses, weeds, and herbs to grow that deer like to eat. Additionally, access to adjacent croplands may also benefit deer. However, adequate forest or brush cover must still be provided for populations to grow and thrive.

The highest concentration of large deer species in temperate North America lies in the Canadian Rocky Mountain and Columbia Mountain regions between Alberta and British Columbia where all five North American deer species (white-tailed deer, mule deer, caribou, elk, and moose) can be found. This region has several clusters of national parks including Mount Revelstoke National Park, Glacier National Park (Canada), Yoho National Park, and Kootenay National Park on the British Columbia side, and Banff National Park, Jasper National Park, and Glacier National Park (U.S.) on the Alberta and Montana sides. Mountain slope habitats vary from moist coniferous/mixed forested habitats to dry subalpine/pine forests with alpine meadows higher up. The foothills and river valleys between the mountain ranges provide a mosaic of cropland and deciduous parklands. The rare woodland caribou have the most restricted range living at higher altitudes in the subalpine meadows and alpine tundra areas of some of the mountain ranges. Elk and mule deer both migrate between the alpine meadows and lower coniferous forests and tend to be most common in this region. Elk also inhabit river valley bottomlands, which they share with White-tailed deer. The White-tailed deer have recently expanded their range within the foothills and river valley bottoms of the Canadian Rockies owing to conversion of land to cropland and the clearing of coniferous forests allowing more deciduous vegetation to grow up the mountain slopes. They also live in the aspen parklands north of Calgary and Edmonton, where they share habitat with the moose. The adjacent Great Plains grassland habitats are left to herds of elk, American bison, and pronghorn antelope.

THE WEATHER! ([x] means the current weather)

Seasons:
Spring
Summer
Autumn[x]
Winter

Time of day:
Sunrise[x]
Morning
Noon
Afternoon
Evening
Sunset
Night

Weather:
Sunny[x]
Partly Cloudy
Cloudy
Drizzling
Raining
Pouring
Nothing
Light Snow[x]
Heavy Snow
Blizzard
Hail
Stormy
Windy

Image Image

starrystarrynight

Postby starrystarrynight » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 am

With the exception of the Chinese water deer, which have tusks, all male deer have antlers. Sometimes a female will have a small stub. The only female deer with antlers are reindeer (caribou). Antlers grow as highly vascular spongy tissue covered in a skin called velvet. Before the beginning of a species' mating season, the antlers calcify under the velvet and become hard bone. The velvet is then rubbed off leaving dead bone which forms the hard antlers. After the mating season, the pedicle and the antler base are separated by a layer of softer tissue, and the antler falls off.

During the mating season, bucks use their antlers to fight one another for the opportunity to attract mates in a given herd. The two bucks circle each other, bend back their legs, lower their heads, and charge. The tines on the antlers create grooves that allow another male's weapon to lock into place. This allows the males to wrestle without risking injury to the face.

Image Image

starrystarrynight

Postby starrystarrynight » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 am

Ready to join the Friends and Foals RP? I'm ready to accept forms!

Code: Select all
[b]~Friends and Foals~[/b]
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Type of Deer:[/b]
[b]Buck or Doe?:[/b]
[b]Fawn Or Adult?:[/b]
[b]Living area: (forest, North America, etc.)[/b]
[b]About the deer(s): (personality, antler size, weight, agility, etc.)[/b]

Image Image

starrystarrynight

Postby starrystarrynight » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:46 am

ARCHIVES!

Starrystarrynight's Deer:
Adult or fawn: Fawn
Habitat: West Virginia, USA
species: White tailed Deer
Name: Bambi, I have a name so people know who I'm RP'ing
About: Bambi never knew his father, because he had died in a car accident, and Bambi's mother died about a month after he was born. He is gentle, friendly, and wants to get to know every living creature in the forest. But, as they always say, curiosity killed the cat!

Name: georgie
Adult or fawn: adult
Habitat: North American forests
species: White tailed deer
About: Independent, quiet, and cautious.

Rainy.'s Deer:

Name: Thunder
Species: White-tailed Deer
Fawn Or Adult?: Fawn
Living area: Forest
About: Silent, risk-taking, and gentle. Thunder is in the process of growing his antlers and becoming an adult, and is often uncomfortable by the new sensation of his antlers growing, always finding a tree to rub his head against.
Last edited by starrystarrynight on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

starrystarrynight

Postby Rainy. » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:47 am

~Friends and Foals~
Username: Rainy.
Name of Deer: Thunder
Type of Deer: White-tailed Deer
Buck or Doe?: Buck
Living area: (forest, North America, etc.) Forest
About the deer(s): (personality, antler size, weight, agility, etc.) Silent, risk-taking, gentle. Thunder is in the process of growing his antlers and becoming an adult, and is often uncomfortable by the new sensation of his antlers growing, always finding a tree to rub his head against.
Rainy.

Postby starrystarrynight » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:24 am

Rainy. wrote:~Friends and Foals~
Username: Rainy.
Name of Deer: Thunder
Type of Deer: White-tailed Deer
Buck or Doe?: Buck
Living area: (forest, North America, etc.) Forest
About the deer(s): (personality, antler size, weight, agility, etc.) Silent, risk-taking, gentle. Thunder is in the process of growing his antlers and becoming an adult, and is often uncomfortable by the new sensation of his antlers growing, always finding a tree to rub his head against.

Accepted! You are welcome to begin whenever you'd like, people can add on ;)

Image Image

starrystarrynight

Postby mkairalla1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:53 pm

CODE: SELECT ALL
~Friends and Foals~
Username:mkairalla1
Type of Deer:white tailed deer
Buck or Doe?:doe
Fawn Or Adult?:fawn
Living area: (forest, North America, etc.)west Virginia
About the deer(s): (personality, antler size, weight, agility, etc.)her name is bell and she is quite small, standing 1'7" she is over careful and really sweet, but is also extremely shy. She is 18 pounds and even if she is small, she is very quick.

CODE: SELECT ALL
~Friends and Foals~
Username:mkairalla1
Type of Deer:white tailed deer
Buck or Doe?:doe
Fawn Or Adult?:fawn
Living area: (forest, North America, etc.)forest in North America
About the deer(s): (personality, antler size, weight, agility, etc.)chellyis mighty and not afraid to show it. Little scares her. She is brave as well as stuborn but can be sweet.she is very loyal to friends and she can also be mean to all those that torment her friends

( mind if she lives in the area with thunder?:3)
x
╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗
Interestingword is my parabatai!

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

"All the beauty in
the world was made within
the oppressive limitations of time,
death, and impermanence"
-Cecil, Welcome to Nightvale

╚═════════════╝
mkairalla1

Postby MissShadowHunter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 pm

~Friends and Foals~
Username: MissShadowHunter
Type of Deer: Fallow deer
Buck or Doe?: Doe
Fawn Or Adult?: Adult
Living area: (forest, North America, etc.) North America
About the deer(s): (personality, antler size, weight, agility, etc.) Agile doe, escaped from a game farm and now is struggling in the wilderness looking for a herd. She's wary, but less afraid of humans then most deer and not as good at browsing in these harder seasons.
MissShadowHunter

Return to Realistic Animal RP's