Battle of the Prides - Lion - Semi-lit

Post role plays centered around the realistic world of animals from books, movies, and games.

Battle of the Prides - Lion - Semi-lit

Postby Lion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:42 am

This photo belongs to Chris McLennan, from here.

Two prides. One territory. A battle to remember.

Once there was a female lion. She was born and raised in the Isaiya pride. Later she had two cubs of her own, males who spent every second together. The pride was happy, calm, well-fed, and thriving. Everything was going great. Until one day, when that all changed. The Lead male was shot and killed by a trophy hunter, and mounted on the man's wall. The female lions were left with no protector, and one by one, eventually died out from age. With no males to mate with, there were no cubs except for those two brothers.
They were forced to move on. They kept their home turf, so they wouldn't have to take over a pride through a gruesome fight. They decided they would wait for their muscles to grow, their spirits to rise, their strength to unite. The brothers lived alone on this land, living off small mammals and by chasing off small groups of hyenas from old carcasses.
One day a lone female came.
The brothers thought that this was great, finally they could make a pride of their own which would grow and flourish. They didn't know that this female would unwillingly end their friendship.

Bearing cubs in the lion world is an honour. Every male lion's goal in life is to father as many cubs as possible, and pass on their own bloodline. So, which brother would father the first cubs of the pride?
They fought, argued, reasoned, and nothing worked. They couldn't decide, so they just thought that they'll think of something eventually. But one of the brothers was eager to have the pride be of his own bloodline, so he wandered off with the female and the other lion didn't know.
Until he noticed her swelling belly.
In blind rage, he killed the female before she could have her litter and confronted his brother. They battled each other, be neither won or lost, for they had lived together their whole lives, one was no stronger than the other.
Angry, they decided they can each make their own prides. They split up without so much as a last glance, and moved on.
Today they are adults with their own lions in their prides, neighbours and with only a line of scarce dried trees marked as the borderline.
Will the prides be forever at each other's throats? Will they join the two prides together? Will they just ignore each other until the end of time? Whichever way, it will certainly be a battle to remember.
Last edited by Lion on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lion

The Kumba Pride and the Amalaya Pride

Postby Lion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:42 am

x

The Kumba pride, named after the killed Lead male, is led by the brother, Archer who mated with the female. The Kumba lions don't hold much of a grudge against the opposing pride. When it comes the the conflict, they are generally laid-back and don't take it personally. Although stronger than the Amalaya pride, they are fairly lazy, and think Why tear off a limb when a scratch will do?
So they usually don't fight too rough with the other pride, but that of course depends on the Amalaya lion. If they want a fight, the Kumba lions will give them a fight. A bloody one, too.
The Kumba pride doesn't hate the Amalaya pride too much, instead they just find them fairly annoying. They mostly avoid going near the other pride, apart from remarking the territory and enforcing the boundaries.
These lions may be strong, but they're slower, and less agile than the rival pride. They hunt big animals, mostly cape buffalo and sometimes a small elephant, if the opportunity comes. They've also been known to wrestle alligators when the creatures happen to be sunbathing, and unaware.
Of the two prides, the Kumba lions are killed more often due to tackling large animals. A zebra's strong kick to the head, a giraffe's stomping legs, an angry bull's horns. Sometimes one is even killed by fighting or challenging the Lead male, or a rogue male mating with a female. The Kumba pride is reluctant to accept young males into the pride, but always welcome females.
The Kumba lions are also very well-fed. By bringing down large prey, they can eat as much as they want. The pride doesn't eat in order, instead they rip and tear and whatever meat you can get, is yours. Unless of course another lion comes and tears it from your jaws.

x

The Amalaya pride, named after the brothers' mother, is led by the brother, Kratos who killed the female when she and his brother mated without his agreement. The Amalaya lions hate the Kumba lions more than the Kumba lions hate them. They feel like he was a traitor, not worth his own pelt. At any chance they get, they'll pick a fight with the other lions. This pride relies more on wits and cleverly thought-out plans, and tends to have sly comebacks. They are fast, agile, and skilled in the art of chasing down prey. They go for impala, and can easily avoid their sharp horns since they are very flexible. However, they struggle with thick-skinned animals such as cape buffalo, for they do not have the muscle to bring one down. The only exception is a weak, old, dying, or young animal. Zebra can be brought down, but with difficulty. Though these lions can dodge their flinging hooves, it's hard to overpower one without the strength to haul it down, which is the only way you can deliver the killing bite.
If you're a rogue male, this is the pack to join. The Amalaya lions are always eager for the extra strength, whether it be from a female or male.
The Amalaya pride is more sophisticated than the other group of lions. When they eat, they have manners. They eat quietly and the Lead male and his mate always eat first. Then all the others may gather round and chat while they eat, and the Lead couple usually naps. They have order to themselves, respect for each other, and tend to be more friendly and open for a nice conversation.

Though the Kumba pride is physically stronger than the Amalaya pride, the Amalaya lions can mess with their heads, and dodge their fighting blows. The playing field is even, with each pride lacking what the other has.

If only they were brought together, they'd be one huge, powerful pride.
Last edited by Lion on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lion

Rules

Postby Lion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:43 am

x

Breaking any and/or all of these rules can lead to a permanent ban from this RP

Always be respectful to other users. Your lions can fight, but I don't want any user-arguments.

Make your own form. However, it must include their name, gender, rank, pride, whether or not they were born in the pride or not, and all the regular stuff. Please no personalities that say "will RP out". The only rank you can reserve is the Lead male, because all the other ranks are unlimited (with the exception of the Lead female, but she is chosen by the Lead male). Reservations last 48 hours. Also, the Lead males of the two prides are brothers.

The Lead female rank is the Lead male's mate. There can not be a Lead Female if there is no Lead male.

Write a decent amount. I understand you may have writer's block, which is okay once in a while, but please, it's not that difficult to write a small paragraph. The minimum is around six detailed sentences, but it's always fun to do more!

You may never kill or hurt any other user's character without their permission. If they allow you to, be prepared to show proof. PMing me is the best way to let me know (: You may hurt/kill your own character. Same goes for injuring. In fact, you may not even say the other character shed one drop of blood without the user's permission. Powerplaying is not permitted, and not fun.

Remember, lions are not immortal, or invincible. Every lion that gets in a fight will leave with atleast a few scars. Also, most hunts are unsuccessful, but the more lions hunting, the more likely the pride will succeed.

Please stay active. I do not mind if you are going on vacation, have work/school etc, and I understand your life does not and should not revolve around the internet, but be reasonable. If you're gone for a month without notice, you're likely to be banned, unless you agree that you will be active again. If you are unable to post for a very long time because of personal reasons, let me know beforehand. You can tell me by PMing me, posting here, or even just mentioning it in your signature. Note, I will always PM you if you haven't been active enough before I ban you. If you do not reply to that PM or post here when I've seen you've been online, you will be banned. If you have not seen the PM or been online, I will not ban you for the time being, until you see the PM. Please know that the PM is mostly a reminder/warning, so pretty much you just let me know if you'll be more active, or if you're quitting the RP. If you quit your characters will be killed, whether it be from hunting or in a fight. If you quit we have the right to powerplay your character slightly. This means we can say they were killed during a zebra hunt or someone from the opposing pride killed it when they got in a fight/ventured too far into the others' territory. Only this specific rule is where you will get a PM, I will not give warnings for other rules being broken, you'll just be banned, and informed so through PM.

If you have a lion from a pride that wants to join the other pride, they can if they are accepted into the new pride, but can never return to their old pride. They can't switch back and forth through the prides. Also, just because you (as a user) are accepted into the RP, doesn't mean your lion will be accepted into a pride. For example, if you're a rogue (lion without a pride) male, you will most likely be rejected from the Kumba pride. To add on to that, you can not start your own pride.

Remember that this RP is always changing. This means that eventually, at some time, the prides will contact each other, whether it be in a fight or joining forces. Be prepared for the prides to be at war or to become friendly with each other again.

If your lion has cubs, think logically. A lion doesn't usually have six cubs. Have a reasonable amount, and keep in mind the colour of their coats. For example, a white lion, if mated to a tawny lion, can not have a white cub.

x

These rules are the prides' rules, and can be broken. Your lion may be punished, but you, as a user, will never be punished/banned for your character breaking these rules.

Never mate with a lion from the other pride. Doing so can result in being rejected by the pride. Same with mating with a rogue.

Never challenge the Lead male for his throne.

Never mate without the Lead male's permission.

Cubs are not allowed to go anywhere near the border, at the risk of it being killed by the rival pride.

Never venture into the other pride's territory unless we are at war. If you are in the other prides' territory, they have a right to kill you.

Only hunt in your pride's territory.
Last edited by Lion on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lion

Prey and Rivals

Postby Lion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:43 am

x

Prey thrive on these lands, and the weaker are singled out. Chased down and attacked head-on, the lions risk losing their lives on every hunt, whether it be by a sharp kick or being flung into the air by large horns. Hunting is dangerous, even once the lions start eating. There are rivals of different species to guard the kill from, too.

x
Zebra
Fast and strong, all it takes in one powerful kick and a lion can be knocked out. Zebra calves are easy to kill, since they tend to flee rather than fight back and stand their ground. But beware, an angry mother could come rampaging towards you at any moment, even though it is not likely since the whole herd will flee. Because of this, it's important to choose the target carefully, for if you fail, the herd will be long gone.

x
Wildebeest
Fast and agile, you expect them to flee but they have long horns capable of poking right through a lion. They're fairly easy to take down if you do so correctly, drag it down and hold it while another lion grabs hold of the head, and covers the mouth and nose with it's own jaws, and wait until the prey suffocates. Calves are easy and often stray from the herd to explore.

x
Cape Buffalo
Slow, but hard to take down. They have thick skin, making it hard to bite through and claw them down. They also fight back almost all the time, so many lions are needed if you want to take this big guy down. Circling it is the best option. Hunting the calves is much more dangerous than an old or sick adult. This is because the mother will almost always come charging, and usually the entire herd will follow. However, if you do manage to hunt one down, it's a lot of meat that can last the pride a couple of days.

x
Impala
Very fast, very hard to catch. They can run quickly for longer than a lion can, so the best way to catch one is to sneak up on it. Unfortunately, they are skittish, and the herd always has many eyes watching for predators. The second that one impala calls out a warning, the whole herd will flee, and most likely none will be caught. Calves are just a snack, and not really worth the effort unless you're desperate.

x
Hippopotamus
Slow and difficult to hunt. It may not look like it, but they are very dangerous. They have long teeth hidden in their massive jaws, and can run faster than you'd think. They can easily fight back, but killing one isn't half the problem. Then it's the eating. Their skin is so thick with fat it's hard to slice through it to the real meat. But once you do, you'll have a feast. Baby hippopotamuses aren't an option. They are protected too well for us to attack, and usually wallow in the water, where the adults have the advantage.

x
Elephant
Don't expect to get one. Only with dying elephant do you stand a chance against these massive animals. Healthy adults are almost never killed, and calves hide under their mother for safety. If you do happen to find a lone baby, see what you can do. But like the hippopotamuses their skin is thick, and since you can't suffocate an elephant, you'll have to figure out a way to crush the wind pipe through their thick neck.

x
Cheetah
Rivals. At any chance a lion gets, it will kill a cheetah, or it's cubs if it finds them. Lions steal kills from cheetahs and the fast cats rarely put up a fight, knowing that when it comes to muscle, the lions rule.

x
Hyena
Hyenas and lions have always hated each other. One on one, a lion always wins the fight. But two or three lions surrounding their kill can easily be chased off by a pack of hyenas. Know your limit. Fighting a pack of hyenas on your own can be deadly.

x
Alligator
Found in the watering holes, the Kumba pride is known for hunting alligators. Any lion can, if they know how. However, lions can become food for the alligators just as much as the alligators are food for the lions. Cubs taking a drink, even if supervised, can be snapped up if the lions' eyes aren't watchful enough to the creatures lurking beneath the surface of the water.

x
Other
There are other animals in the ecosystem. Vultures, typically ignored, flock around a carcass once there are no more lions guarding it. Snakes are to be avoided, in case they are poisonous. Leopards can be scared away from a carcass. Every other animal is either prey, a rival, or to be ignored.
Last edited by Lion on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Lion

The Prides

Postby Lion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:44 am

The Kumba Pride
x

Lead male - Archer

Lead female - Reserved for Archer's mate

Females - Temba

Males - Open

Cubs - Open

The Amalaya Pride
x

Lead male - Kratos

Lead female - Reserved for Kratos's mate

Females - Open

Males - Open

Cubs - Open

_

Rogues - Open

The roleplay is now OPEN!
Last edited by Lion on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Lion

Archer

Postby Lion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:44 am

██████████████████████████████

Hey there, I'm Archer. I'm the Lead male in the Kumba pride, brother of the Lead male of the Amalaya pride, Kratos. I was born into the Isaiya pride, which quickly disappeared when my brother and I went separate ways.

If I had to describe myself, I would say I'm overall a laid-back, chill lion. I am lazy and my favourite this to do is nap on a large flat boulder raised only a foot or so off the ground at the edge of camp where the pride usually sleeps, protected in the shade of a large tree with draping branches. I love to lay there, overlooking my pride.
My favourite food is cape buffalo, and I love to wrestle alligators just for the sport of it, and the meat for the pride being a bonus.
One of the things I don't like to do is swim. I don't mind getting wet or standing in water up to my chest, but I don't like it when I'm up to my chin and can't touch the bottom with my paws. It makes me very uncomfortable.

I currently have no crush, mate, or cubs to call my own. There was one female, back when my brother and I were pals, but she was killed before she could bear my cubs. But I'm sure you already know the story of my past.
Last edited by Lion on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image --------------Image
-------A lion doesn't worry itself
---over the insults from a sheep
Lion

Re: Battle of the Prides - Lion - Semi-lit

Postby Copper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:25 pm

ƬΉΣY ᄃΛᄂᄂ MΣ
K R A T O S

Ñ•eÑ… :: "Male of course"

ranĸ :: "I am the Lead Male of the Amalaya Pride"

ғaмιly ::"The pride is my family"

Despite his wild, aggressive and downright highly unpredictable nature Kratos is not a mean fellow to those he cares about. In fact he is actually a quite lighthearted Lion. However, his words and actions are hollow, simply devoid of true feelings because he mentally and emotionally distances himself from everyone. The long ago betrayal of his brother has left him suspicious of others and he refuses to put his faith completely in anyone because of it. Though he is powerful and has a fairly threatening appearance, what is truly frightening about him is that he easily looses control of himself in the heat of battle and will become savage and brutal.

Despite his unpredictable beastly behavior he truly is a very good Lion at heart, but he has hidden his true self so deep inside and he is so consumed by the wild beast that life in a world willed with betrayal and lives has turned him into. Kratos doesn't have much patience for cubs and often ignores and offspring he bears because he is afraid that they too will betray him in the end. Kratos is the Lead Male of the Amalaya Pride and considers all of them more of a family than his vulture-hearted brother Archer ever was. He welcomes roaming males and females into his pride with open paws, glad of the extra strength and power they bring. Though he doesn't particularly trust any of them he finds they will be very useful in his future plans. Kratos has made it his goal to rid the land of his once-brother, Archer. The hatred for him pulsates through his veins with a burning fire.
Want to play a great animal based game with a wonderful community? Then join the Petz Community at Whiskerwick!
Petz lets you collect, raise and breed animals of many different species.
Our community offers unique adoptions, fun challenges, a unique currency system, obedience and pose shows, custom pets and lots more. We are very welcoming of new players of any age, so you are sure to fit right in!

Get The Petz game for free HERE. Join Whiskerwick HERE
Post in the introduction forum saying "Copper sent me" and
I'll send you some free petz & 1,000 site currency to get your started!
Copper

Postby Lion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 pm

[Accepted, thanks for joining!]
Image --------------Image
-------A lion doesn't worry itself
---over the insults from a sheep
Lion

Postby Copper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:49 pm

[[ Thanks so much for accepting me ^.^
Want to play a great animal based game with a wonderful community? Then join the Petz Community at Whiskerwick!
Petz lets you collect, raise and breed animals of many different species.
Our community offers unique adoptions, fun challenges, a unique currency system, obedience and pose shows, custom pets and lots more. We are very welcoming of new players of any age, so you are sure to fit right in!

Get The Petz game for free HERE. Join Whiskerwick HERE
Post in the introduction forum saying "Copper sent me" and
I'll send you some free petz & 1,000 site currency to get your started!
Copper

Postby Glitch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:30 am

kin ::"Only those I wish to forget."

Temba is calm and level headed, a rather lazy lioness just like the pride's reputation says. Preferring to lay back and relax during the hottest part of the day than fight with the other pride. Don't let yourself fall into a false sense of security, calling her naive, Temba is very much aware about the growing hatred the second pride has for them, however, fear is not in her vocabulary. The rather pale lioness is strongly willed, a powerful hunter. Often finding herself chasing the usual coyote or the odd vulture. Using its carcass as a toy for not only herself but any cubs which happen to be around. Spending time with her pride is of up most importance to Temba, bonding makes the pride stronger not only of mind but spirit as well.

Temba is blessed with a well muscled and lean body, powerful jaws and hook like claws which find themselves lodged into the thick hide of many a creature. Mainly Cape Buffalo, a well known favourite of not only the pride but the king. The lioness is in her prime being five years of age. A prime age for bearing strong and healthy litters. Temba has always wanted to have a litter, however, her pride male was killed before hand and so the young lioness was forced to move. Stumbling across the Kumba pride as they welcomed her with open paws. A surprise when she found out about the on going feud between the two brothers. Not that they considered themselves blood related in anyway. The lax approach to the feud surprised her, Temba however, followed the flow eagerly. After sticking with the pride for three years, Temba is happily settled.
Glitch

Next

Return to Realistic Animal RP's