Verdana and maluruloki 1x1

Post forms specifically made for either 1x1's or private group role plays. Can include anything from animals, humans to fantasy based role plays. These can be based off of movies, books, or games.

Re: Verdana and maluruloki 1x1

Postby maluruloki » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:31 pm

maluruloki wrote:Sophie! Silvanus! We've spotted a house! Excitement in Delyth's mental voice made both of her hunted comrades perk up. Sophie felt the Silvervale stag's muscles bunch for another leap and if she wasn't bluffing herself, the announcement had given Silvanus more spring to his step.

Which way, Delyth? Silvanus called back. Sophie rubbed her face on her shoulder again, trying to wipe the bright twinklings from her view. It was useless despite her persistence; she knew that it would take time for the brightness to fade, but it was still twisting her stomach in painful knots. Left? Left it is. Sophie, I need you to hold on very tightly. We're going to run faster than we ever have.

"They're still following us, aren't they...?" the strawberry-blonde whispered most fearfully. Silvanus didn't reply immediately - it confirmed her terrible suspicions. She was jarred again when he landed, despite his best efforts to shield her, and it forced a squeaky breath from her. "Delyth didn't stop them!?"

I did what I could, Dear One. They are old foes, knowledgeable of my powers, defended against them by magic that I am unfamiliar with. Safety is near though. Sophie wanted nothing else but to be still, to be no longer running, to be wrapped within the warm shadow of Delyth's wings and arms, to be safe...

Hold on. Silvanus warned her. Sophie entwined his lush fur around and between her fingers as she leaned as low as she dared; if she bent forwards too far, the natural movements of the stag's neck would bloody her nose truthfully the next time they collided. Then the wind was whipping past her ears, screaming in them, dragging against her clothing and snarling up her half-undone hair. Her hairband snapped out without further resistance and she felt the sharp wind against her scalp now. She closed her eyes and mumbled some half-prayer to some unknown protector within her head. She trusted the stag with her life - and she had no option in the matter. Dratted BEASTS!!! Silvanus landed oddly and Sophie felt herself pitch forwards as his back legs kicked up beneath her. She heard a meaty thud followed shortly by a pained yelp and knew that the creatures were closing in quickly. Delyth! A little help here?!

BEGONE, FELL BEASTS!!!! Delyth's voice raged through their minds and Sophie was buffeted by the sudden passing of her dragon bulk overhead. Her wing beats filled the air and only partially drowned out the snarlings of the shocked creatures. Multiple cries of pain followed, all different pitches, and grew quieter behind them. Suddenly, Silvanus threw on the brakes and for the last and most fateful time, Sophie was thrown forwards. His neck stopped her and her nose was smashed against her face. She cried out, holding both hands to her throbbing nose, and felt warm liquid begin to drip on the palms of her hands. Silvanus's velvety nose nuzzled at her upper arms as he tried to see if she was okay.

Rider! Oh my gaia, you need a handkerchief. Excuse me, m'am! We need help! Sophie moaned again, trying to pinch her nose shut, but her fingers were slippery. She was beyond worrying at this point. The dull pain consumed her. Wingbeats approaching and a soft thud very nearby announced Delyth's return.

Silvanus, you old goat! She's bleeding! Sophie just sat where she was, wobbling back and forth. Caring about anything seemed unimportant anymore. In fact, the world was getting kind of swirly...

(( I presumed that Delyth dropped Alex off with the woman near the house before going back to attack the Hunters. I can change this if it's too god-moding. ))

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnd....all caught up! Whew. Verdana, you're the next post. :)
ImageCharacter Thread Still putting things in this space.
maluruloki

Postby Verdana » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:34 pm

[I'm so sorry about the delay, Loki! I've been incredibly busy, but I'm ready and keen to post now.]

The canines were gaining ground. Alex could no longer see them, but he could hear them, and that was somehow worse. There was no way that Silvanus could outrun them, burdened as he was by Sophie. He was tiring fast. They needed help. They needed Delyth, in fact.

And Alex was only slowing her down.

"Ma'am!" he screamed urgently against the wind, "Ma'am, y'gotta pu' me down'n go 'elp 'em!"
Delyth showed no sign of having heard him, and Alex was on the verge of gathering breath to yell again when the dragon began to spiral downwards. Alex watched the ground impatiently, and when he judged it close enough, he leapt off of Delyth's back. He hit the ground hard, knocking the breath out of his lungs.
Perhaps it hadn't been so close, after all.

Alexander rolled over, gasping and groaning to re-inflate his lungs. He waved an arm at the womandragon. He was unable to speak, but he hoped that she would understand him.
Go. Go and help them. Help them, for I cannot.
With a gust of wind which ruffled Alex's hair and made his eyes sting, the dragon flew over his head. He watched her go, feeling both frustrated at his uselessness, and terribly relieved. He decided that the riding of dragons was not something he was destined to do. He would be staying on the ground from then on.

A hand descended. It was small and slender and dark, with calluses on the palm. It was a working hand, and Alexander had known and grown up around working hands all his life. He took the hand without thought, and found himself pulled to his feet, by a grip surprising when its owner was considered. The hand belonged to a woman. She was small and robust-looking, with dark skin and green eyes which stood out starkly from it. She was physically young, but Alex found himself wondering whether he was being deceived, for her face was calm and wise, and though she looked concerned, she did not look panic-stricken.

"Your face," she said.
Alex reached up to touch his nose and mouth, and was surprised when they smarted. In all of the madness of pursuit, he had forgotten about his earlier brawl. He shook his head.
"Tha' were 'fore. Th'-"
"The creatures cannot cross the boundary line," the woman told him slowly. However, her eyes roamed restlessly over the dense thicket of trees around them.
"My husband..." she murmured distractedly. There was a growl, to the left of where last Alex had seen Silvanus and Sophie. He jumped as there was a yelp, much nearer.
"Y'r 'usband? Shoul' we -" but the woman was shaking her head.
"No. No, he'll be alright. He knows these woods. He knows."

Something about the way she said it made Alex suddenly fearful, and he scouted even more carefully for his adventure-companions.

"There they are!" he cried, running forwards as Silvanus appeared. The silver stag leapt into the clearing with a clatter, throwing his head back as he skidded to a halt. Sophie (who was still on his back, thank the skies) smacked into Silvanus's neck with a thud. Blood started to pour. Alex gulped. He'd seen his own blood too many times to mind it much, but other people's never failed to unsettle him. Still, he did not falter. His stride did not slow, and as Sophie wobbled and tipped, Alex was there to catch her.

The woman from the cottage was close behind him. Delyth tore into the clearing, and the woman cried out.
"No!" she called, and there was something out of place in her tone. Something was unexpected.
"Do not go back! They cannot cross the boundary. Milady," the woman dipped her head respectfully, and it was then that Alex placed what had unnerved him. The woman was not afraid. Surprised, perhaps, but not frightened by the massive dragon in her space.

"Milady, your summoner is wounded and shocked," the woman continued placatingly. "Will you allow me to tend to her? I mean you no harm. My name is Tessa - "

A growl cracked like a stiff leather whip. Alex turned towards the tree, and tensed in preparation to - what, run? He certainly had no chance at fighting the creatures. The canine did not appear, though. The rumble turned into a whine and a yip, which ended abruptly. Alex turned to look at the strange woman of the cottage, and was not unsurprised to see a thin smile appearing on her lips.
"You will not be harmed here," she repeated, and Alex found that he believed her.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Verdana

Postby maluruloki » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Delyth...fingertips buzzing...can't see anything... These were the last coherent thoughts that flashed feebly through Sophie's mind before the sparkling in her eyes claimed her. Her brain made one brief mental note of the sudden change in posture, but the rest of her body never caught up and limp she went. She didn't feel the impact of the ground, however, and it didn't jar her into consciousness once again, because Alex was there.

I can't believe that you managed to catch her, Silvanus murmured in the manner that allowed Alex to hear him. I couldn't have moved fast enough to keep her weight atop my back. Gravity is a wicked mistress... The Silvervale stag stepped aside rather quickly - well, he had no other option other than be bluntly shoved aside by a very concerned Delyth.

Sophie! Dear One! Oh, I hate this. The Ancient's eyes seemed to glisten for a moment before moving to rest on the oddly-omnipotent woman standing not far from them; it was the only movement in her entire body save for what looked like a faint thrumming of her wings. Then Delyth offered a graceful nod in return. I will gladly stay within your boundaries, Summoner, and yes, I gladly accept your help with Sophie. I know she is young, but I fear for her sanity. She has been through much this day... The Sunset Ancient crooned low in her throat and nuzzled at Sophie's mussed hair, being careful to not put any more weight on Alex's arms. I regret to inform you that she was looking at me when I unleashed a light-based attack on those damned creatures. She has told me multiple times about her vision being obscured and I would rather that she awoke with clear sight than to panicked darkness. Allow me to settle her into true slumber before you share your healing with her. Her hooked nose came to rest on Sophie's forehead, right between her eyes, and again, the touch was feather-light. Delyth wasn't quite sure how she was going to express her gratitude to Alex for his selfless dive, but she would find a way. The Ancient closed her eyes and that timid buzzing of her wings came to a stand-still. Her Rune markings, all in shades of amber-gold to wildest orange, began to glow like the sun behind clouds; the darker colors on her body, in hues of ultramarine and violet, deepened like the shadows of far mountains. It wasn't that time warped or skipped or did anything odd. It was as if the air around Sophie thickened, warmed, and then slid away like draining water from a bath. The blood smeared on her cheeks and lips was clotted and stopped running freely; more color returned to her cheeks and the raspy fearful breathing slowed into a peaceful rhythm. Pulling away with a deep inhale and exhale that seemed to release her own inner tension, Delyth swallowed and looked away for a moment, towards the sudden silence beyond the trees. I hope you can help her, Summoner...and between you and I...I cannot help but be surprised that he chose you... The last thought was personal in nature and shared only with Tessa. There was no negative connotations in the questioning words...only thoughtful interest.

All the while, Silvanus had been standing near Alex, looking rather like a kicked puppy. The stag, normally full of bluster, was taken aback by the proceedings before him and definitely feeling lost. His rubescent eyes flickered out beyond the treeline as well and some primal fear snaked through him. He shuddered and stepped closer to his sleeping Rider as he came to the realization that they were all dealing with magic...Ancient magic.
maluruloki

Postby Verdana » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 am

Alexander may have been wounded, exhausted, shocked and rather frightened, but when another person needed help, he was always on hand to deliver it. He gave a grunt as the unconscious woman plopped into his arms, but adjusted her weight and held her uncomplainingly. She was light, for a woman of her height. Breathlessness saved him from answering the dragon. This was probably rather fortunate, as it was perhaps not the right time for Alex to compare her summoner to the bales of hay he had caught and flung from the wagons of his farm at home. Silvanus was not fond of Alex as things stood. The stag needed no further motive to harm the young man.

The woman was already by the girl's side, looking at her carefully, but not touching. She seemed hesitant to make contact with the girl, as if the act was foreign to her. The dragon stepped closer too. Alex felt constricted, but said nothing about it. When Twila reached down and did some fancy hocusey pocus around Sophie, however, Alex jumped, and almost dropped the girl.
"Whoa whoa whoa!" he cried, shifting his grip and leaning away from the shimmering, thick air forming a halo around Sophie.
"Wassat, huh? What're y' doin'?"
He could not keep the hysteria out of his voice. Soon, though, the shimmering stopped, and when noting untoward had happened to either him or Sophie, he calmed down slightly.

"Din't I arsk y' t' warn a fella 'fore y' did summa y' hocus-pocus?" The question was meant to be light-hearted, but he couldn't quite rid his tone of reproach.

Nobody paid much heed to Alexander, though. The woman from the cottage and the dragon were in conversation.
"I cannot fix her vision, but time should do that. Momentary exposure should not create lasting damage," Tessa soothed.
"The young are resilient. She will bounce back, milady. Any woman worthy of summoning you will be strong enough to stand tall before danger. What I can do is ease her through this, and alleviate some of the shock, fear and pain. The transition she is making, into awareness, is not an easy one, but it can be gentled some."

The next bit of the conversation took place silently, and was private, between two creatures bound to the fate of the world. Tessa smiled slightly, and shook her head.
It surprises me too, even after all these years, she thought, directing her words towards the Ancient with practiced ease.
He will not speak with me about his choice, but I know that he almost rejected me. Tessa winced slightly at the thought. Those who Death rejected, did not survive to describe the experience.
Whether I am worthy or not, he has accepted me, and I must be the best summoner possible. I love him. I love him enough to accept the conditions of being bound to him.

A terrible, furious roar rang into the clearing. It was muffled by distance and concealing leaves, but the power of the sound was unmistakable. As if becoming conscious of the other beings in her company once more, Tessa blinked, and nodded once.
"He shall be back soon, I think," she said out loud.
"You are welcome to wait for him out here, milady, or join us inside. I think it might be better if I take your summoner, and..." for the first time she looked at Alex. Tess frowned, as if thinking back, searching for something within her memory. Alex filled the space.

"'m Alex, ma'am. Alexander von Thrupp. 's a pleasure. I'd give y'r 'and a shake, but I fin' meself rather occyapied."
He smiled dutifully, but it was a weary smile, twisted by pain and uncertainty. Tessa nodded sympathetically.
"The pleasure is mine, young man. Come. You had better bring her inside. The day will soon be turning cool. I have a fire burning, and tea brewing. You look as if you could use it. Milady, I... Oh! Forgive me, Stag" the woman said, after a blank-eyed pause.
"I didn't think. Enver! Meera!" she called out into the forest.
"There are guests."

There was a rustle and a crackle, and two shapes emerged from the undergrowth. They had been watching the gathering quite some time, and had merely waited for the opportunity to investigate more closely. Both shed the leaves and shadow like cloaks and came, glowing faintly, into the light. Both stopped, but for very different reasons. The stag, mature and wise, with long, branch-like antlers stretching towards his back, kept a dignified distance from the newcomers. He was not timid, but he was certainly wary, and showed no desire to be anywhere close to strangers.

The young female stood still, her eyes wide in shock as she took in the unfamiliar band on her familiar lawn. Her stillness did not last long. She skittered once, then, with a prancing rear, leapt towards the group. She disregarded her mistress, the humans, and even the large dragon in her midst. Her attention was on the Elkrin stag.

"There's more!" she yelled in the silent language of the Elkrin. She danced and bucked and leapt as she circled just out of reach of the mature male. " There's more! There are more of us! There's more there's more there's more! Father! Father, do you see him? Do you see him? He's here, and that means there's more!"
"I see him, Meera," the male said, with a long-suffering flick of his ears.
"Be careful, now. He may not want -"

But the young Elkrin, not a fawn but not quite a doe, was not listening.
"Oh, but you do look strong! I think your antlers are awfully dashing! Have you come far? Where is your herd?"
With a brazen forthrightness, the young doe stuck her nose out to exchange breath. Her legs quivered with excitement.
"I am Moonlight-dancing-over-still-deep-waters, but they all call me Meera," she said.

Verdana

Postby maluruloki » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 am

(( OH MY GOSH, I adore how Meera is so bouncy. ^^ ))

Delyth looked back at Tessa with more respect, if it was possible. It wasn't that she had completely underestimated the Summoner, but in a way, she had. This petite woman, lean and wise beyond her years, was deserving of more than simple courtesy if she had indeed fallen in love with the Ancient of Death.

The Sunset Ancient had a flashback of memories cued up by the sudden recalling of his name: Mbarim; they flickered through her mind like a broken projector. She knew him as proud, strong, never to be underestimated but not without weakness...and now he had a true weakness. Her thin dragon lips curled up as she glanced over at Sophie, still nestled in Alex's arms. She knew about true weakness now as well.

I would appreciate if you took my Sophie and her gallant friend inside for that cup of tea, Lady Tessa. I will await your Mbarim and we shall join you once he returns. I feel that it's only polite. After all, it has been a time since we spoke in each other's presence. A bit enigmatic, that last thought, but Delyth knew that Tessa would understand, since she had been bonded to the Ancient of Death for a long number of years. The brightly-colored Ancient settled down into her comfortable lying position, her front paws daintily criss-crossed, to await him. Oh yes, she remembered now. Young Alex. I respect your request for warning before I use my powers and I will do my best to uphold it. I cannot give guarantees, but with practice, I shall make it happen. She sent a peaceful wave of affection to accent her words to him alone, so soften the surprise she often felt when she communicated with him. Her attention shifted briefly to the arrival of Tessa's Elkrin, a stag and young doe, and the slow swish of her lengthy tail was cat-like. She knew that Silvanus might not find the proceedings amusing, but she certainly would.

Meanwhile, the Silvervale Stag had been hanging his head and doing some private wallowing in self-pity. He looked up from staring at Sophie when Tessa spoke in his direction, but he hadn't been paying attention as well as he believed. Poor Silvanus. One moment fearing that he had permanently damaged his Rider with his reckless running and the next, bombarded with youthful curiosity in the form of a young Elkrin doe. At her initial dash, he barely reigned in a startled front-kick and opted instead for locking his knees and rearing back his head; the bells on his antlers chimed sharply in a musical mirror of his reaction. His eyes were rather wide and his mouth moved silently as he tried to keep track of her questions. Something about his antlers and then...coming far? His herd - wait, what?! As her night-blue nose wiggled up at his face, he found himself falling back on Elkrin manners and huffed down at her so that she might attain the information she was looking for. Her name was Meera then and he preferred it over that mish-mashed mouthful that she had shared beforehand.
Yes, yes, Meera, hello. Greetings. His words were short, but he tried still to be respectful. The older stag standing off at a distance, still beneath the shade of the trees, was likely her father (their markings, though different colors, were similar) and though he may have been older than the other male, he didn't feel like a fight today. My name is Silvanus and I'm beholden to the Rider Sophie. I thank you for the compliment. Yes, I would say that we are far from home and my herd no longer exists. There, all her questions answered - now maybe she would back off a bit and give him some breathing room?
maluruloki

Postby Verdana » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:30 pm

The humans hastened into the house. Enver's Rider led the procession, with the Tall Man and the Other's Rider following close behind. Enver did not follow, though he would have stolen any moment alone with his Rider. He hated having to share Tessa's affections with the Reaper, but compromises had to be made. The house was Tessa and Mbarim's den, but the garden belonged to Tessa and Enver. He left his Rider to her house. He trusted her, without qualm.

However, there was a foreign Elkrin on his turf.

This was always a dilemma for Enver. He did not like guests on his terrain. Instinctively, he wanted nothing more than to charge them back into the forest and never see them again. However, after the first time he tried that, Tessa had made it quite clear that, the next time he chased a guest into the forest, he would be following them. Enver had stopped after that, but he still disliked guests. Fortunately, their isolated piece of forest saw few visitors, though the visitors that did arrive were always unusual. The majority were Ancients and their cohorts, but they did occasionally did see Elkrins and their riders. Those weren't so bad.

No, Enver thought, turning a fond, nostalgic eye towards his daughter, who looked so like her mother. They weren't too bad at all.

The new stag... Well. Enver wasn't nearly as pleased to see him as Meera was, but he was curious. Since the cottage was built, Enver's rider had shown little inclination to leave, and he would not, could not leave without her. The outside world had become a mysterious void, filled by snippets and comments from visitors. They had not had visitors for many years, and Enver was thirsty for knowledge of the outside world. Meera was even more so. She did not have a Rider to tie her to their safe but monotonous clearing in the woods. She was bored, and rightly so. It was time for her to leave.

But that would come later.

Enver inclined his head slightly, and in the silent language of the Elkrin, a language of shifts and nods and breath and twitches, said:
"They will be inside for some time, and night is falling. There is shelter and a stream behind the cottage, and plenty to eat. There is a window, too. You will be able to watch her."
Enver knew the distress of being able to feel his Rider, but not see her; to know her discomfort but not the cause. Enver's language was not confrontational, but neither was it friendly. It was clear that his hospitality was only temporary, and that the other stag was not to get comfortable on Enver's turf.

Meera had been silent throughout, temporarily quieted by Silvanus's answers. She was not by nature as loud as she had initially presented herself. She had been excited, and for good reason. She had not met another Elkrin before. She had known her mother for the few years before weaning, but the star-eater had left soon afterwards, and not taken Meera with her. Those memories were distant with infancy, and despite her father's stories, the young doe had sometimes believed herself to be one of the last Elkrin of the world. She was restless in her garden. It had grown too small for her. She longed to escape.

The garden itself was beautiful. It was cultivated, speckled with fruit trees and vegetables, but also strewn with herbs for more arcane purposes, and flowers for aesthetic appeal. Nonetheless, there was wildness in the untamed tangle of roots and leaves. This was a place of power, and a place far removed from civilisation. It was a lonely place, when one did not quite belong. Meera had known plenty of that in her young life:
Not-belonging, and disappointment.

It was she who voiced the question both she and her father dwelt on endlessly, as they came to a stream tearing fiercely over exposed rock.
"Our herds? What news of them? Do they survive, or are - are we the last?"

- - - - -

He appeared soundlessly, always unseen and always behind those he sought. It was tradition. Death could not remember doing it any other way. He supposed that the tactic may have been to intimidate, and sometimes he mused over being slightly less... Mysterious.
Ah, but he was set in his archaic ways, too old to change.
Of course, he had said exactly that about choosing a Summoner. He'd said it about... other things, too. And look how that had ended.

"Sunset. You did not tell me that you were coming in person. Nor that you were bringing... Company."
The dragon's mouth was smeared with thick, dark blood. He did not lick it off, as if the taste was somehow repulsive. Death was not a large dragon, in comparison to some. However, he was certainly no less intimidating for it. His skull glinted in the fading light, and his red eyes throbbed like awakening embers under a probing breeze.
"It has been a while."

As understatements went, this was a particularly fine one.

Death was not one to dither and dally, and he had never entirely understood the concept behind 'small talk'.
"You are far from home. What do you seek?"
The dragon's dry, distant rumble was not threatening, but it was certainly not warm either. It was not quite as curious as it could have been, either. Death knew of the changes taking place in Eld, though his knowledge was limited, fragmented, and came predominantly through the reports of other Ancients.

He knew enough to draw some conclusions, and they were not pleasant thoughts to hold.

Verdana

Postby maluruloki » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Silvanus too had been watching Alex carry off his now-resting Rider and inside, for the first time in a long time, he felt a tightening of his heart. It brought him perilously close to dashing at the door - watching it quietly close almost felt like a slap in the face - but he fell back on previous habits and remained as stoic as possible on the outside. Inside...inside was another matter. It wasn't that he didn't respect his Rider; he did, just not as a true equal. He loved her dearly, with all of her little human flaws like getting cold or choosing to not eat greenery or her inability to run faster than a crippled elder. He felt like she was his, not the other way around. He was her protector and he had momentarily failed. He realized that he had been digging a small trench with a front hoof long after he had started and knew the others had noticed his discomfort. That stubborn facade remained up regardless of the embarrassing realization. Enver's words only confirmed it and Silvanus let out a slow sigh. When it seemed like the other stag and Meera were migrating to the far side of the cottage, he paused only a moment before trailing behind them. Deep inside, the urge to remain with a herd was flaring within him for the first time in a long while. Another deep breath made him realize that the greenery had changed from basic lawn grass and he looked up to see what appeared to be an Eden before him. He thought he saw apple and peach trees in the distance, their little globes of fruit bright against the leaves. To his right, gourds and other ground vegetables nestled up against spiraling stalks that wound up sticks. To his left, more vegetables that hung on their vines: tomatoes mostly, although he thought he saw berries farther back. He snuffled fondly at a small row of peppermint, the crisp scent filling his lungs. Everywhere else, at random, beds of flowers greeted the sun in multi-colored petals. Silvanus had to admit as he gave an appreciative nod to the flora before him: these Elkrin had it good. He saw ahead that a babbling stream cut through the land, watering the garden as it snaked through, and he walked over to sip at it. It made him realize how he still felt somewhat winded and lingered to feel the coolness fill his stomach. Meera's words penetrated his haze of delight and he slowly lifted up his head, licking the drops from his lips. He couldn't keep the wounded look from his eyes as he stared at her. What a question to ask.

You are of the Star-Eater herd, Meera? And you, sir, of the Illuminated clan? Of your herds...I know nothing. He laid his ears back and gave a shrug that conveyed his lack of knowledge. My own clan...my herd... It has been...ahem. He had to clear the knot in his throat and huffed once or twice. He even stamped the ground in order to center his thoughts and push back the memories frantically clawing at his heart. Excuse me. My own herd is gone. I am the last. I have fawns of my own, but no fawn of pure Silvervale blood. Within his mind, he begged them to ask no more of it. He didn't want to subject himself to the peeling back of old scabs, to opening of repressed wounds.

--------*----------*---------

Delyth knew that Silvanus was in good hands - or rather, hooves - as she watched the small herd meander away behind the delightful house. It would heal him a bit to mingle with his own kind. He would be reminded of fond memories and appreciate the uncomplicated and easily-understood language of the Elkrin. No way that words could be misconstrued with their communication. Ears never lied.

Then she felt him.

It was a slow feeling of...not quite dread, but not quite peace; a peace unlike her own, more slothful and cold. It crept up behind her, like a cloak slowly covering her from her tail up, and she didn't repress the shiver as she pushed herself up into a sitting position. She was certain that Mbarim would appreciate the response to his theatrics. She slowly looked over her shoulder at the Ancient of Death and gave a knowing smile.

It has indeed been a while, Mbarim. You are terror-inducing as always. With a graceful turn of her lithe body, she was now sitting facing him. She couldn't say that she was completely comfortable in his presence - the blood on his lips was frankly morbid - but Delyth could at least keep up a polite conversation of sorts. Home...what is home these days? You are lucky to have safety within your grove and with your Summoner. We still do not have a home...not a true home where we are not hunted. You know of the curse stalking our kind, stalking the lesser Runes. It began not long ago. My Summoner has been treating more and more of them at her place of work. You know as well as I do that it must be stopped. Her golden eyes went steely with a surge of emotion. She had always loved the lesser Runes dearly and suffering went against much of her personal belief. I owe you and your Summoner for saving Sophie's life and the life of her Elkrin, Silvanus. How can I share my appreciation with you? She hoped he would ask for information; she had gleaned from the Elkrin that they were rather isolated here in their guarded grove.

((I was channeling Galadriel from Lord of the Rings SO HARD for Delyth when I was writing this. X) ))
maluruloki

Postby Verdana » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Meera was attentive, for her age. She could see that the New Elkrin was subdued. What she couldn't understand was why. Did he dislike their forest? Was it their glade? Was he used to better? Did he resent staying in their presence? Meera had never known the touch of a rider. She had thought herself close, once, but...
In any case, she did not understand the sort of compulsion her father, and this new Elkrin, felt around their riders. How could she? If one has not known the touch of a Rider, how can one possibly know what it is to have it taken away? Baffled though she was, Meera was polite enough not to ask about it. It was Rider Things. She wasn't included in conversations around Rider Things.

However, when New Elkrin finished drinking, and looked up, the conversation turned towards other things, things which Meera could engage with. Herd things. Meera was desperate to hear about the herds. She felt ambivalent towards having a Rider. Her father knew this, and though he said nothing of it, she could tell that he was confused; perhaps a bit let-down,too. However, Meera did feel very strongly about finding a mate, a herd, a life - and that meant leaving her father, the humans, and the garden which had grown too small.

Ah, but the New Elkrin had no news. Meera's ears, which had been perked and alert only moments before, flicked back in disappointment. She held herself back from pressing further. The New Elkrin had more to say. Indeed, he continued, but the news was no better. Both Enver and Meera were silent in grim respect. The demise of the Silvervale clan was grave news to them. It did not bode well for their species. Their respect, and their condolences, was delivered in their silence, as both bent their heads, feigning grazing. They did not ask any more. Meera considered it, but one warning twitch of her father's tail stilled her impertinent tongue.

Time passed. Elkrin are patient creatures. They did not need to fill the air with ceaseless chatter, like Rune Dragons or humans.
Eventually, Meera lifted her head, and said quietly,
"You could always join our herd, if you wanted."
Enver lifted his head, and shot his daughter a mortified look.

But he didn't say no.

- - - - -

Death took little satisfaction from intimidation. It was defensive, but not malicious. He was a small dragon, especially compared to his brothers. He needed to stand out, stand strong, stand above those who would quell him and force him to take a side. Death had no side, besides his own.
No, that wasn't true any more. It had been, once, but now...
Now he had Quintessa. Whether he liked it or not, her interests were his, too.

Sunset faced him. They made a queer contrast, the two of them. The death of days and the death of physical existence, both tangible and yet intangible, both cyclic, both eternal, examined one another. Death and Sunset had... History. Death knew Sunset, her ways and her unspoken speech. He knew when she yearned to share. He would ask the questions she wished him to ask, of course, and not just to please her. He wished to know what she knew.

He dipped his head.
"We have heard the rumours. It does not reach us. I have wards, and we are well-hidden. But it cannot be kept at bay forever. What do you know of this disease, and why, why have you chosen the companions you have? What is the outside world moving towards, Sunset?"
Death's voice was unusually enlivened. He had shut himself off from the world, hidden himself and his summoner so they could mourn their failure, and their loss. This had been unwise. It was time for Death to play his role once again, no matter how painful it may have been. He and Quintessa had hidden too long.

She knew that he was there, and she called to him. She used his human-given nickname, sticking her head out of the window and using her voice to summon him inside, out of the cold. Death knew that this was for the benefit of the guests, for they had been sharing information ceaselessly since the Attackers had first arrived in their space. Quintessa gave another command, this one silent.

If Death had loved his summoner less, he would have scoffed. As it was, he acquiesced. With a shimmer, and a faint blue mist, Death became human. He lifted his mask off of his face, and stowed it in a pocket in his long, black coat, all the while directing a patient look at the Sunset.

After all, he didn't wish to scare the children.

Verdana

Postby maluruloki » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:44 pm

The Silvervale stag was grateful for their respectful silence in response to his rather gloomy news. Surprisingly, there was also a small part of him that begged them to continue their questioning, to continue pressing, because...because...because it felt like ripping out stitches of an old wound and it was both painful and relieving to tell others of his plight. He looked down at the grass and, at odds with his Elkrin species, shuffled his front hooves in a human-like manner. The stems crinkled and bent beneath his pearly-pink hooves as he kneaded the earth, his tail swishing slowly back and forth like a pendulum. Meera spoke to him again and it took Silvanus a moment to completely comprehend her words. It hit him like a thunderbolt. He physically flinched, partly at Enver's quick movement, and took a step back. His ears rotated backwards, forwards, up, down, in coordination and out of sync, all broadcasting his surprise too great for words. The tiny bells on his antlers rang quietly as he tilted his head to one side.
Forgive me, miss Meera, but what you offer is so great that...I cannot answer you at the moment. I mean no disrespect, but...my Rider, Sophie, she has much to say in this decision and she is currently indisposed. His garnet-red eyes caught the sunlight as he looked longingly at the little house. What was the use of hiding his concern for the young woman? Enver understood. In the uncanny way of the Elkrin, especially those blessed with a Rider, he knew that the older woman was bonded closely to the Illuminated stag. Silvanus knew Enver to be the unofficial (and likely uncontested) lead male Elkrin, in control of all the territory within the protection of the wards, and he wasn't exactly speaking against his daughter's suggestion.

But he certainly wasn't supporting it openly.

Silvanus didn't blame him. If his own daughter had invited a strange male into their herd, he would have openly challenged the stag right then and there. The Silvervale herd always turned away those they didn't know well and trust.

Had always turned away...had. Silvanus found that his eyes had wandered to the little patch of peppermint again and a small smile curved up his lips. Sophie always liked peppermint. Forget the past...he couldn't change it. He could appreciate the now though. A human voice broke the silence - no, didn't break, just existed abruptly - and the Silvervale stag realized that it was Enver's Rider. She called a name and he looked over his shoulder in the direction of the open window. He couldn't see exactly what or who she had called, but then the brush of Ancient magic shushed over his fur and left goosebumps in its wake. He shook his skin across his back and grumbled.

I would take better care to control that overflow of magic myself, he muttered in wordless annoyance. Then it occurred to him that Delyth's powers never usually bothered him. His eyes, half-closed in a thoughtful manner, shifted back to Enver and Silvanus directed his words at him. Does this area amplify the natural powers of the Ancients? This gave him hope for his sweet Sophie and that optimism was mirrored in the overall relaxation of his posture.

--------*----------*---------

Delyth was slightly affronted that he chose not to use her Name when she so freely used his own, but it never showed within her words or posturing. He reminded her of the Old Ways, when even the other Ancients offered what she had always considered to be superstitious protection of the priceless appellations. She knew that it was in her base personality to be more relaxed in everything, since the sunset itself was associated with all aspects of lassitude. In respect to the Ancient of Death, she decided to go along. She knew that he would appreciate her silent acknowledgement and unspoken decision. The Sunset Ancient was also deeply glad that her unlikely companion didn't ask for more of a boon in return for their safety and, in turn, held no information from him.
I am envious of your wards, Death, most envious indeed. Your Summoner has become quite powerful and yourself as well. This disease...I have a suspicion that you are more familiar with it than you think. I have already explained what I know of it to my Summoner and her Elkrin as well as the young man you will shortly meet, but...it was too much for them to understand all at once. You must remember the War? She paused, not wanting to insult his knowledge, and in that pregnant moment, his Summoner called for him. Delyth looked over at the woman and found the fondness for Tessa growing further still with every moment. She was beginning to adore the woman who had tamed Death's fickle heart. It was a familiar feeling with a twist, the inward-outward flux of magic, like an underwater pulse, like a musical chord in a different key, when Mbarim shifted to his human form. Delyth agreed - they would keep to their human forms as not to make the true humans any more uncomfortable than they had to be. In an aurora-like swirl of her own brand of magic, Delyth found herself on two feet instead of four paws and sighed, her human voice humming within her throat. "When we fought him originally...the One-of-Belief...he uttered a blood-curse. A death-curse. We were not thorough enough, Death. Someone found the Plagued Scrolls." She said no more, knowing that he would be able to recall that dark time within their own history. Ah yes, he had asked about her companions. That familiar cat-in-the-cream smile creased her human lips. "Sophie and I share a Blessed pact. She offered her heart at the moment of the Green Flash and I accepted. I was the key to the impenetrable within her. I called, she answered. I believe..." And here Delyth paused, weighing the wisdom of her next words. No one on the planet had heard them other than the confines of her own skull. Mbarim would understand more than anyone in existence, so she forged ahead. "I believe that she is Crepusculī, of the Crepusculōrum, those who worshiped me as a goddess. Her blood and soul sing to mine. She bonded with the Silvervale stag not long ago and I do not envy her. His is not a burden to lightly bear. He brings his own worries to our...adventure." Her inhuman eyes in their tattooed face looked beyond Mbarim, out beyond the canopies of the forest, as she contemplated how to answer his final question.

So many things have changed...and who knew when he had last ventured beyond the wards. She decided on a broad approach to the answer and adopted a relaxed stance, weight to one side with hands in the pockets of her fawn-colored pea coat.

"Many humans have long since left behind their mud huts and wooden structures. They conquer with science and industry. Their factories, places of invention, belch ash into the sky as they toil night and day to improve their lives. Alabaster City is no longer a hovel by the riverside. It sprawls for a great distance and harbors so many types of humans that...it boggles me. I consider myself to be well-versed in their odd world, but even I find myself enjoying their novel ideas now and then. Many longer consider our existence no more than fairy-tales, but they have Bonded to the lesser Runes with increasing acceptance." There. That was more than enough to keep him occupied and Delyth was always happy to expand further if Mbarim wanted it. With another easy smile, she nodded towards the house. "But let us go inside as your Summoner suggests. Although the cold is not enough to bother me, we are likely needed for some sort of support." With a graceful sweep of her hand, she gestured towards the door. When not quite sure how another Ancient protected their space, it was always wise to let them take the lead.

(( Apologies for the novel! The muse bug bit me badly! I feel like I need to go write about the Crepusculōrum in the Mythology of Eldemore thread now... I created a cult! XD
And now that I'm thinking...if Mbarim and Tessa were involved in the clash with Commander's leader in Alabaster City, the one who wanted to corrupt the Rune magic, maybe Mbarim is actually all caught up with the information that Delyth shared. I guess I'm not certain about the time that has passed since then.
Also, wouldn't this make Sophie a relative of the Niderus council, since she's somewhat red-haired? Love your myth, by the by.))
maluruloki

Previous

Return to Private, 1x1, or Specific Group RP's