CHOSEN ⊰ ᴀ ωᴏʟғ's ᴛᴀʟᴇ ⊱ ᶜᵒᵐᵉᶰᵗˢ ʷᵉˡᶜᵒᵐᵉ

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

Chapter 3 ⊰ Part 1 ⊱ ᶜᵒᵐᵉᶰᵗˢ ʷᵉˡᶜᵒᵐᵉ

Postby SkieNight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:56 am

{Gahhh sorry for never posting. I got super busy in school with a musical and sports and everything pretty much happened all at once. But now that it's all over I can spend more time writing, which means that you'll hopefully have more updates. Once again, I am uper sorry this took so long. Hopefully there won't be many of these brakes in the future and they won't be as long.}

The sunrise after Flint had spent the night was as every other mourning was. Ithgar had woken Flint and Kanna early, leaving VÓ•ri resting in her moss bed. The summer sun was bright that mourning even though the sun itself was just rising over the tall peeks.

Ithgar lead the two pups into the woods for a quick hunting trip. They each caught something. Flint, who seemed to be a natural hunter, was able to score a rabbit, much to Ithgar’s praise. Kanna only just managed to catch two mice. Ithgar said that he would eat later, so he let the pups gobble up what they caught before they continued off again. As they where eating, Vӕri woke up and joined them, and once she was there the small group set off.

The walk to Flint’s house was farther then Kanna had originally thought. They had to pass the clearing where they had met the other day, then go up the ‘mountain’ and into the thick woods behind it. The ‘mountain’ Flint had talked about was really only a hill but even when the four had made it over they still has a small gully to go through.

By the time they made it to the mossy hallow that Flint called home the sun was bright and high over the valley and a dry summer breeze raced over the land. The small group waited in the clearing for what seemed like forever. Flint and Kanna were playing tag when the first sounds of voices wafted over the hot wind and into the clearing.

Immediately following their sounds, two other wolves walked in. One was another storm gray wolf that looked like a much larger version of Flint; the other wolf was more of a light tawny color with a creamy muzzle and under belly. The she-wolf stopped and blinked a few times; her eyes were exactly like Flint’s, gray and storm-like. It was quite clear they were siblings.

“Flint!” she cried. Her stormy eyes were sparkling with what looked to be tears. “Oh for the love of The Ancestors where were you!”

The more gray wolf stopped and turned around seeing Flint for the first time. He smiled but stopped, just noticing the other three wolves that where standing near the edge of the clearing. “Where ya the ones who found ‘im?” He asked causing the tawny she-wolf to look up and to Ithgar, Vӕri and Kanna.

Ithgar nodded calmly, taking a step forward witch aloud Kanna to slip back and hide behind his legs. She peeked around him getting a look a Flint and whoever the other wolves where.

The tawny she-wolf stepped forward and dipped her head, “Oh, may The Ancestors bless you for bringing back my little brother. I can’t thank you enough. I’m Fatarie and this is my brother Sacœ.”

Ithgar smiled and dipped his head in a way to show a more formal greeting. “It is a pleaser to meet you Fatarie,” He gaze went from Fatarie to her brother, “Sacœ. Your-”

“Wait!” Kanna said getting the courage to face the strange wolves. She stepped out from behind Ithgar’s legs to speak, but took a step back when all their eyes when on her. “Your his brother and sister? Not his parents?” Vӕri, who hadn’t spoken a word since they had started, shot Kanna a look that sent the pup back behind Ithgar’s legs and tail.

Fatarie and Sacœ on the other hand had rather bemused expressions. “Yes indeed, little one.” she said stepping to the side so she could look past Ithgar’s leg. “Some wolves can’t be raised by their parents.”

A small smile crept on Kanna’s muzzle when she realized that Fatarie would not scold her. She stepped away from behind her Uncle and nodded, “Oh! So like how I’m raised by my Uncle because my mom-”

In one swift movement Vӕri had walked next to Kanna and covered her muzzle with her tail, hushing the pup. “Yes, yes dear we know. However there is no reason to share your history with strangers.” Vӕri’s words her sharp and acidic. She shot a look to Fatarie and Sacœ. Ithgar who merely shook his head.

“Now Vӕri, these wolves are not strangers. They are our neighbors and soon to be friends seeing as our kin is friends with their own.” he looked to Flint. The small pup was looking between wolves trying to follow the conversation. He was not having much luck and was looking pretty lost at the moment.

Vӕri’s lip curled back, exposing her glistening fangs for a brief moment before she stepped back looking away as to avoid eye contact. Fatarie who didn’t seem to be baffled by her guest odd behavior started off again as if nothing at all had happened. “Well,” she said clearing her throat to change the subject. “I- we would be honored if you would share our den and all our fresh kill.”

Ithgar sighed and shook his head, “No, no. We just came to drop off your brother we know you must have been worried, we couldn’t possibly take anything from you.” His eyes glanced around the clearing at the meager supplies they had. One deer lay off in the shad of the tree along with a few mice. The entrance to their den was tangled in the roots of an old oak.

“Oh but you must!” Fatarie said, “It’s the only way we can thank you for bringing back my brother. With out a scratch, might I add.” Sacœ only nodded. He didn’t seem like much of a talker, or he knew his sister would cover it all.

Ithgar looked back over his shoulder to Vӕri trying to catch her gaze. When she finally looked his way she scowled slightly but nodded once and he turned back to the brother and sister. “We would be honored to join you for a sun up meal.”

Fatarie smiled and turned leading them to the shade where the small doe laid. “Oh good, I so hoped you would stay!” she grabbed the leg of the deer and pulled it over so that there was room for all six wolves to sit and eat.

As they gathered around their meal Ithgar asked, “So are Flint and Sacœ your only family?” Fatarie nodded and looked up watching her younger brother and the other pup play around.

“Sorry but what are your names again?” she asked. They had forgotten to tell her; with all that was going on she couldn’t blame them.

“Dear me!” Ithgar said with a small chuckle, “I’m Ithgar, my friend to my right is Vӕri,” he inclined his muzzle to her. All she did was dip her head for only a second. “And the pup is my kin, Kanna.” He said looking over at the cinnamon pup who was chasing Flint around.

“Kanna,” Fatarie said as though she where trying out the name for the first time. She smiled and laughed as her brother tackled the female pup. “If you two want you can run off and play there’s a stream a little ways away. But don’t go past it!” The pups looked to each other then back at Fatarie and nodded before talking off into the forest.

Ithgar sighed and chuckled again before turning back to the siblings. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, but are you Navira’s pups.”

Sacœ eye’s widened and his head snapped to Fatarie as if asking permission to speak. Fatarie nodded once and some unspoken message traveled between the siblings. “Yes we are. Did ya know our mother?” Sacœ spoke his voice soft as if worried some one would over hear.

Ithgar nodded, “Yes, I knew her very well, you probably don’t remember but I visited you one summer when you two where about your brother’s age. What I didn’t know is that she had another littler before-”

“Before she was killed.” Fatarie spoke, finishing Ithgar’s sentence. “Well, yes she had Flint and his sister about a moon cycle before she was... Well, before she died.”

“If Flint had a sister where is she?” Vӕri asked in almost a threatening manner. Sacœ flinched and looked away from her while Fatarie seemed unmoved.

“We lost Sacra about a moon cycle after our mother was killed.” A sudden sadness came over Fatarie’s voice. “Flint was to young and doesn’t remember her, at least, I don’t think he remembers her and I feel that it’s better that way.”

Ithgar sighed and dipped his head in a silent prayer. To everyone’s surprise Vӕri was the first one to speak. “I am sorry to hear that.” She said softly her gaze passing the brother and sister and looking out into the woods. “But let it be known she is in a better place. She’s out of this cruel world and out of this valley.” Vӕri’s last words were dripping with hate and despise.

A small, teasing smile crept onto Fatarie’s muzzle and she chuckled ever so slightly. “So, Vӕri,” she started in a most casual manner, “I see that you’re still a strong member of that rebellion group, aren’t you.”

Vӕri’s head snapped over her eyes locking on Fatarie’s. “Yeah, what’s-it-to-ya?” Vӕri’s voice was challenging, “You should know, by the way, that since your father left, I’ve taken his spot.”

Fatarie seemed unmoved by the challenge and calmly asked, “Oh really what would that be?”

A small smirk crossed Vӕri’s muzzle as the fur on the back of her neck slowly went down, “I’m now the leader of the rebellion, thank you very much.”

Before Fatarie’s muzzle could open to say anything else Ithgar spoke, “Enough you two!” he said sternly looking between the two females, “I am done, with your bickering now if you don’t mind,” he turned his attention to Fatarie, “I would like to eat?” It wasn’t a question so much as it was a silencing method.

“Yes of course.” Fatarie dipped her muzzle to the dear, “It was caught this mourning.”

Vӕri looked at the deer and rose to her paws, “I’m not very hungry I’m just going to go take a walk.” She said walking towards the edge of the clearing. She looked back at the three wolves her gaze sharp challenging anyone to follow her. When no one stood up she turned her gaze back to the forest and vanished from the glade
“Oh dear...” Fatarie muttered as she watched one of her guest storm off into the woods, “I shouldn’t of said anything.” she stood up to fallow the other female and found Ithgar blocking her path.

“Fatarie don’t go after her, she needs time alone.” he said, when Fatarie sat back down he did too. “Vӕri must learn to forgive and forget. She still holds silly grudges that must be forgotten.” He sighed and shook his head.

“What did our mother do to get her so angry?” Sacœ asked, it was the first time he had spoken up but he seemed rather interested in the subject.

Ithgar sighed, “You two might as well eat, it’s a long story that goes back to before your mother even left.”
SkieNight

Previous

Return to Creative Writing