How I Learned to Fly (Posting welcome & encouraged!)

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

How I Learned to Fly (Posting welcome & encouraged!)

Postby Commander Shepard » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:57 am

(Partially inspired by this lovely game. Not telling exactly what this whole thing is about, let's see if you can figure it out yourself ;))

I used to think humans couldn't fly. That we were stuck on the ground all our lives.

I was one of Alabaster's urchins. No real memory of my parents, and the only homes I'd ever known were the spaces I could hole up in without annoying a spark or pyro rune. I ate what I could catch, begged when I couldn't catch, stole when no one was looking. I hid from the rain, prayed when it was cold and slept when it was dark...

But when it was bright and warm, I flew.

-------

The streets of Alabaster City were packed as always. Here, an elkrin-drawn wagon drew a huge crowd, there the city patrol and their runes were apprehending a thief. Merchants shouted their wares over the din of the crowd, dogs barked and cats yowled, no doubt from someone carelessly stepping on their tails. But those sounds scarcely reached Altair, where he sat perched on the roof of a shop. The smell rising up from the chimney made his mouth water and his stomach growl, but it was too crowded down below to think of stealing, and no one would notice a ragged boy begging for a few coins.

Altair raised his arm, shielding his eyes from the sun. The sky was a clear, deep blue; the wind soft and warm and absolutely perfect. He stretched out his arms and legs, making sure to roll up the sleeves of his shirt so nothing got caught... and then he ran. His feet had grown hard from over nineteen years without shoes, the hot rooftop registering as little more than a pleasant warmth as he shot forward. He didn't slow down as he approached the edge-- indeed, he increased his speed just before pushing off, easily clearing the small gap between the baker's shop and the tailor's roof. He landed with only a moment's pause to regain his balance, soon leaping to the butcher's roof, and continuing on until there was no roof to leap on to. Altair was panting heavily, his skin soaked with sweat and feeling more than a little light-headed. He sat down on the roof-- where was he now, the apothecary? A jeweler?-- and looked down at the crowd below, simply watching the people pass back and forth. How could they stand it, he wondered. Being confined to the ground, barely ever lifting their heads to so much as glance at the sky.

"Just means more for me," he told himself, closing his eyes and gritting his teeth, trying to ignore the pains that racked his stomach. He wondered if he could run back to the bakery, maybe let himself fall... if he made enough commotion they might think he was hurt, give him a roll or loaf to shut him up.

"You'll have to share it with me!"

Altair's eyes shot open and he scrambled backwards, pressing hard against the stone rim that surrounded the roof. There was someone else there (where had he come from, he hadn't been there before!), sitting there and grinning like he'd just told some great joke. He was dressed in ragged, mossy-green clothes faded to nearly yellow at the end; with unkempt mousy brown hair that went well past his shoulders. He was fairly dark-skinned, about the same as Altair himself (and appeared to be a similar age... though clearly much better well-fed, Altair could already tell the boy had a good six inches on him), but... those eyes. The boy's eyes were green around the outermost edges, but otherwise as golden as the sun.

"W... who are you?" Altair asked, once he found his voice.

The boy just grinned again, getting up and offering Altair his hand.

"Call me Aeolus."
(They/he/she)
Call me Shepard or Paine!

...art|| trade
.Shep || -
...You can fight
...like a krogan
run like a leopard
but you'll never be better
than Commander Shepard!

...by viddi
...Image
Commander Shepard

Re: How I Learned to Fly (Posting welcome & encouraged!)

Postby Commander Shepard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:33 am

Altair hesitated, but after a few moments, he took the boy's-- Aeolus'-- hand. His eyes went slightly wide as Aeolus pulled him up, he seemed to be far stronger than he looked.

"What are you doing up here?" Altair asked. Sometimes he would find others joining him on the rooftops, but it was quite a rare occurrence... and most of the time, they were city guards trying to shoo him off for making a disturbance.

Aeolus shrugged, pacing slowly around the roof. "I like being close to the sky," he said. "Why, what about you?"

Altair gave an embarrassed smile, glancing away. "About the same, really," he said. "Beats being down there and crushed by the crowds."

Aeolus nodded, but he had an... odd look on his face. Like he was studying Altair.

"How old are you?" he asked after a few moments.

"Nineteen? Twenty? Somewhere thereabouts, I... I'm pretty sure, anyway," Altair replied.

"I... but I thought..." Aeolus trailed off, shaking his head. "What do you mean, 'pretty sure'?"

Altair shrugged again, sitting back down. "I don't know exactly when I was born. Comes with being an orphan," he said. After a moment, he frowned, looking up at Aeolus. "What's it matter to you?"

"Y... you just... seem small. Y-younger, I thought... I was wondering what a kid might be doing up here, it is dangerous."

"Uh-huh," Altair said, hardly bothering to hide the suspicion in his tone. "Well. Yeah. Small. Comes with the lifestyle," he muttered, rubbing his forehead and getting to his feet. The commotion in the streets below was growing quieter, and he had to figure out something to eat, or he'd pass out.

"You know, if you're hungry... I can probably get you something to eat."

Altair turned around, gaping at Aeolus. "Y... you what?"

Aeolus nodded, smiling slightly. "I can get you something to eat. M... maybe even a place to rest for the night? Where do you sleep?"

"I... well. That... kind of changes," Altair admitted, glancing away. "Why, though?"

"It's not fair someone should go hungry," Aeolus said. "Besides..." that curious look came over him again, and he smiled. "It's nice seeing someone else who appreciates the sky."

Altair was silent for a few moments. On the one hand... there were so many stories other orphans passed around, someone offering to take you in off of the streets for one night and... well, there were all kinds of horrors that could happen. But Aeolus seemed kind enough, and going to sleep with a full belly, even in the alley, felt worth just about any risk there was.

"Alright. Lead the way," he finally said, nodding to Aeolus.

Aeolus grinned and turned around. "There's an easier way down a few buildings over, come on!" he said, running over the roofs. Altair stood there for a moment, watching the other boy run-- if he was running, his feet barely seemed to touch the shingles below, and it seemed the sudden warm wind carried him higher still.
(They/he/she)
Call me Shepard or Paine!

...art|| trade
.Shep || -
...You can fight
...like a krogan
run like a leopard
but you'll never be better
than Commander Shepard!

...by viddi
...Image
Commander Shepard