"Last Night at 4 in the Morning..." An Eld Yuletide Story

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

"Last Night at 4 in the Morning..." An Eld Yuletide Story

Postby Silverhart » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:51 am

Here's some Eldemore Yuletide fanfiction for you all. XP I wrote this at like four in the morning last night, and it seemed extremely amusing to my sleep deprived brain at the time. Not sure if it holds up as amusing to saner minds, but hey, it made me smile. Figured I'd share.

Came about from talking in a chat with some others about me sending my character Sterling to get the shards from Azara (my Rune Bearer Sachie is far too smart to fall for Willy's tricks again), and how he manages to mess this up, and only brings me stuff I don't need. XD He has since been fired from this position, and Eidolon my kelpie Rune has taken over token snatching. But for anyone curious as to how last night went for Sterling and Moritz, here you go.

Should note this is not complete. It stops at the point where I passed out. XP (Actually, I just updated it with a bit more) May or may not finish it - since I do have some funny dialogue planned out for Sterling and Sachie upon his victorious return. Just too lazy right now to write it. Also it has no set title at this point, other then "The Eld Story I Wrote at 4 in the Morning Last Night", since I have no idea where it is going. XD

But for now, enjoy Sterling's ditzy incompetence, and his Dire Wolf Moritz!

“Why am I doing this again?” Sterling Roscoe asked as the young lady flicked a bit of snow off his lapel.

The two young people stood at the base of the great Silverport Lighthouse, whose lights were dancing intermittently across the sea. Out at sea Roscoe could see a line of ships, vying for position out of the corner of his eye, each trying to figure out what the lighthouse keeper was doing. At the young Naval officer's side sat a large blue-black Dire Wolf, her two tails coiled neatly around her, and a small pile of snow forming on her head.

“You don't expect a delicate, invalid young thing like myself to go, do you?” The woman, Sacheverell put a hand to her breast and feigned indignation at the mere thought.

“Delicate?” Sterling's eyes wandered above her head to the massive green Rune Drake that sat behind her. It's red eyes glared at him, as a scaly lip curled over the sharp teeth, and it snorted threateningly. Sacheverell always said the Drake was extremely easy-going, but for some reason it seemed to have a very poor opinion of Roscoe. Along with the Drake, a small clan of Runes followed Sachie – right now the red eyed, blue one was eyeing him like a cat eyes a canary from it's master's shoulder.

“You know I'd love to cross paths with that horrible little beast again. I'd give her such a piece of my mind.” The lady scowled at the memory. “ But I have that little issue with heights, and well... I shouldn't really strain myself after... recent incidents.” She looked off, as Sterling gave her a puzzled look. “So it's all up to you Lieutenant!”

Roscoe wanted to point out that she rode a large, winged Drake, and how could she possibly have any issue with heights - when a large bang scattered his thoughts. A large man came barreling out of the lighthouse door like a pack of Hellhounds were behind him, waving his arms and screaming.

“Don't go in there! She's mad! Absolutely mad! Call out the army!” Sterling and his wolf watched in silence as the man fled across the rocks, still screaming.

The lady gave a soft sniff of disdain. “You'll be fine. You're a military man after all.”

“Umm...”

“It's either help me, or go home to your family for Yuletide.”

The Warden and his wolf exchanged panicked glances. They seemed to agree as one that facing the creature in the lighthouse was a far better option then going back to that house.

After all, how much trouble could one Rune Dragon be?

“Alright, fine. But remind me why I'm doing this again.”

“Because you're a gentleman and I asked you nicely.”

The Dire wolf snorted.

“Moritz!” Sterling shot a look at his bonded companion. The Dire pretended to be interested in the snow clouds drifting lazily above their heads.

“Look,” Sachie told him gently. “It's all very complicated, but it's for a good cause.”

“Does this have something to do with that shady glassworker who's always skulking around town?”

“What? Noooo... Possibly... Wait- what answer is going to get you to do this for me?”

The officer heaved a sigh. “I hope you know what you're getting into.”

“I do.” The lady started shooing him toward the lighthouse. “Now go take care of that overblown, blue magpie and bring me back those glass shards.”

The Naval Warden pushed past the door that the screaming man had left ajar, and entered the lighthouse keeper's shack. It was dark and unfurnished, but Sterling could see the stairway to the lantern room silhouetted beneath the lantern's dim light. He made his way to the stairs, with Moritz following two steps behind.

Upon reaching the base of the creaky iron staircase, Sterling gazed up at the top. Through the chinks in the metal steps, he could barely make out the lantern a hundred steps above his head.

He quickly started the ascent... and just as quickly, slowed the ascent. These stairs were ridiculously steep. About thirty in, he was panting, and Moritz was giving him strange looks. Or she would if Sterling could see her. The stairs were too narrow to allow more then one at a time.

Fifty. Almost halfway. Sterling took a short break, breathing heavily. “Who built these bloody steps? A mountain goat?” The Dire wolf headbutted him in the back impatiently. “I'm going! I'm going!” He added under his breath, “Going to have heart attack. Sheesh.”

Up they climbed to the very top of the lighthouse. Past the watch room with it's view of the entire harbor and city of Silverport glowing like a Yuletide candle in the coming night – all the way to the lantern room. Upon gaining the flat walkway of the open-aired lantern room, the Navy man crashed against the railing, gasping for each icy breath.

“The air must be thinner up here,” he told Moritz as the Dire slipped out onto the balcony next to him. She shook her head. Pacing around the lantern, the wolf gazed out across the brilliantly lit up harbor, as the cold wind bit at her ears and nose like an unruly pup, drowning away scents and sounds. She didn't see any glass, other then that of the lantern itself, and certainly no Rune Dragon.

“Now then -” Sterling spoke up, mostly to himself - “where is this -”

“Grrraaaaaah!”

Moritz spun in alarm at the sound of an ambush, just in time to see a blur of blue and pink swoop down on her warden.

“Ah!” Sterling threw up his hands and slapped at the Rune Dragon. For her own part, the Rune began to scratch and claw at the lieutenant's exposed arms, relentlessly trying to rip them away, and tear a new set of nose-holes in his face. “Git – off! You great – dumb-!” Sterling snatched one of the little bird-like dragon's legs, and the creature let out a cry like a she-cat, buffeting the Navyman with her wings.

Moritz rushed to her bonded's side, snarling and snapping, and ready to deal out a beating. But the catwalk was too narrow for her to come to his aid. She could only gruff and hop around in frustration, biting at the air, and jumping out the way of Sterling's backwards stumblings. The wolf glanced around for some way to get at the attacker. Above them, atop the great lantern that glowed out dimly, Moritz was stunned to see an enormous pile of sparkling glass shards. The dimness of the area beneath the lantern's cuploa, exaggerated by the bright light of the giant lamp itself, had blinded her to the pile's presence at first, but now she saw it. Thousands of shards, many of which caught the reflected light off the cupola's top, and played out a dim kaleidoscope effect across the ceiling above her.

Moritz jumped up on her hind legs and sprang at the pile, but she came up short, banging into the lantern. There just wasn't enough room to get in a good jump, and the pile was out of reach to the big wolf, even standing on her hind legs. Giving up however, was not in the wolf's nature. While Sterling was grappling with the crazed Rune, Moritz leaped again, and again slammed into the lantern. This time though, she'd managed to dislodge a shard. It clattered to the metal catwalk.

The sound seemed too loud to Moritz for some reason, and she soon realized why. The Rune Dragon had halted her attack. The little feathery head snapped around at the sound of glass against metal. Two bright eyes fixed themselves on the Black Forest Dire, freezing the big wold in place.

Sterling took advantage of the short lull to snatch his sword from it's scabbard at his side, as if he had just remembered he still had it.

'Sterling! No!'

Moritz cried out as the man drew back and aimed to slice the Rune in two. The alarm in the wolf's eyes alerted the Rune Dragon who hissed, and spun out of the way just as the man swung his sword.

The blade smashed against the lamp, shattering into three neat pieces, and prompting the young man to curse darkly. As the Rune returned to her hoard and cackled, Moritz sent out a telepathic scolding to Sterling. Although just seeing her pinned back ears, and flared nostrils was enough for him to judge her meaning.

“Don't get your tails in a knot! I wasn't going to hurt it – terribly.” He waved the broken hilt in the Dire's nose. “It's just a dress sword. At least – it was.” He stared mournfully at the gilded hilt sheared from it's silver blade. “Do you know how expensive these are?”

There was a hiss from above, and Sterling backed up in sudden alarm. Moritz swooped down to grab the piece of glass she'd knocked free, before bolting down the stairs, her Warden in hot pursuit.

Sachie was waiting for them when they came bursting out the lighthouse, pulling her shawl tighter around her against the chill. Several others had gathered on the shore, and were making their way toward the lighthouse, only to have a big black wolf dash past them, with the man streaking after her.

Moritz and Sterling skidded to a stop in front of the young lady and her Runes. The man bent over double while he caught his breath.

“Well?”

“Is she after us?”

Sachie suppressed the impolite urge to roll her eyes. “Are you telling me Warden-Lieutenant Sterling Roscoe, of the great Eldemorian Navy, and his Dire Wolf partner Moritz, couldn't handle an uppity, little Rune Dragon?”

Sterling glared up at her, and huffed angrily. She cocked an eyebrow at the sight of him. He looked like he'd been trampled by a Sleipnir. His face and arms were covered in bloody scratches – one particularly nasty gash was bleeding profusely, and his beautiful grey jacket was missing a button, and sported a new tear in the sleeve. He was also still clutching the broken hilt of his sword.

She pursed her lips when he said nothing – just glared accusingly at her. “Well, did you at least get some shards?”

She held out a hand, and Moritz gently place the glowing red shard in her palm. “One? You got... one shard?”

“One shard – and I lost my best dress sword.”

'It was your only dress sword.'

“Shut up!” Sterling snapped at his Dire. The wolf flicked and ear, and ignored him.

“Well, that's pathetic Roscoe. I can't use one shard. Go back and get me some more.”

“Are you joking with me?”

“No. Now go and try again.”

Sterling was about to protest when she went on. “I collected nearly three hundred last year – took me a few days, but I managed all on my own, and you bring me.. one?”

Sterling gaped at her. “D-days? L-last year? You've done stuff like this before..? What are you -”

She shook her head, seemingly having heard none of his complaints. “No, no, no! I won't allow you to disgrace yourself like this. You get back in there, and get back on the horse -” she was pushing him toward the lighthouse again, which was quickly filling up with other people - “I don't want to have to tell your superior officers about this Sterling... but, you know I will.”

He fumed. “That's low, even for you.”

'It's better then her telling your brothers though,' Moritz told him silently. Sterling pursed his lips. 'Oh. She meant your brothers, didn't she? I forgot Cyrano made Post-Captain last year.'

“I'm not going back in there.” Sterling dug his feet in, and resisted. The big green Drake at Sachie's side growled. “Get one of them to do it.” He waved a hand at the small crowd that had gathered to watch the poor souls who dared the Rune Dragon's wrath come screaming out the door. “I won't be made a fool of!”

'Too late.'

“What was that?”

'Nothing.' Moritz sat and scratched an ear. Sterling looked at his broken sword hilt, and torn sleeve. He threw the hilt away angrily, and glared at the wolf.

“I didn't say anything,” Sachie was saying. “Lest of all that you were a fool. A quitter maybe -”

“That's right. A quitter. I can live with that.” He started to walk back toward the boat, spinning around to throw her a mock salute. “See you around, Avalbane.”

A flush of hot anger rose in her cheeks – she hated being called by her first name, and he knew it. There was a loud thud behind him, and Sterling froze. Slowly he turned around to see the big green Rune Drake standing behind him, teeth bared menacingly.

He glanced at Sachie, and instantly regretted using her name.

“Do not call me Avalbane, Sterling.” The lieutenant gritted his teeth. Oh, how he hated when other people called him by his first name. It felt so... disrespectful. Only his family and closet friends were allowed to do that, and even Moritz only used it when she was especially upset with him. “Now you get back up there, and you get me those shards, or so help me, every port from here to the Oriental Islands will know you ran away from a tiny little Rune Dragon.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“I can't believe we're doing this again.” Sterling grumbled, as he once more hiked up the iron staircase, this time with Moritz in the lead. She was already a dozen steps ahead of him, and widening the distance. She paused when she saw he'd fallen behind. “These stairs will be the death of me, “ he groaned.

At least his scratches had been bandaged up by a helpful Rune dragon and her bearer, but they still stung.

'You've had worse,' Moritz told him.

“You're really enjoying this, aren't you?”

She swished her tails at him. 'It beats dinner with your family.'

“You're right about that,” Sterling muttered darkly, as he hauled himself up the steps one at a time. It felt like his muscles were on fire. But he much preferred Sachie's bluntness to his father's silent sneering, and his brothers' equivocations; and the sting of a Rune Dragon's claws were far softer then the verbal blows swung by people who knew your every fallacy. He knew also that Moritz didn't much care for the battle-hardened Dire Wolves of his brothers – they were always too polite and stand-offish, like they thought less of her, but were afraid to offend her by saying anything that would seem to imply it.

To be continued...?
Last edited by Silverhart on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Re: "Last Night at 4 in the Morning..." An Eld Yuletide Stor

Postby Silverhart » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:52 am

Aaaaand, just 'cause I like this picture X3:
Aaaaand, also to reserve this post X3:
Last edited by Silverhart on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Silverhart

Postby Silverhart » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:52 am

Reserved. Just in case. ^^

Oh yes, and feel free to comment, and critique.
Hellooo!
Silverhart

Postby Mira » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:44 am

Oh thet's a really funny story! :3 It amused me very much at some points. But I also have to say that there are some points which are a bit hard to understand. I didn't get who is who and which geneder everyone has. (Have the same problem at german books too so don't mind xD)
But all in all a very good story! I hope there will be something related to Oblivion too. :)

Mira

Postby Silverhart » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Thank you for the comments! ^^

I'll keep that in mind about the genders and whatnot. I wasn't really thinking about it when I wrote it, and I didn't notice it in editing it. It can be difficult for me to keep characters straight while maintaining the flow of the action and dialogue.

Is Moritz the confusing one? XD Because she's a female Direwolf, despite the fact that Moritz is a male name (because backstory stuff XP).
Silverhart

Postby Mira » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:59 am

Yeah Moritz confuses me! :D So Moritz was the female ... and ... the Dire Wolf? ... Okay I guess I get it now. xD
All in all I love the flow of your story! Just the gender stuff was a bit hard to understand (For silly me xD).

Mira

Return to Creative Writing