Just Another Eldemore Story *Posting Welcome*

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

Just Another Eldemore Story ~ Part 9

Postby SkieNight » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 am

{So this section took me a while to split up and a few of these parts ended up being shorter than I though, but eh... it'll give me an excuse to post more. Anyway, enjoy!}

“Home!” Araedia cried as she pushed open the door of her shop and stepped in. Her eyes glanced over the store. All the cabinets were in place, and the only thing that seemed to have changed was the amount of dust that covered all the glass and metal wear. She let out a long and exhausted sigh.

The last two days of traveling home were worse than the days they had spent in the woods. Her shoulder had been the main source of the problem. It was still healing, and the wound opened once due to all the moving around and walking. Araedia didn’t know about Forrest, but she was exhausted and blood loss didn’t help. Their one night under the trees hadn’t been the best. Between just not being about to fall sleep and the fact that every movement caused her shoulder to sting and her body to ache, sleep became hard to acquire.

But now they were home, and the young woman couldn’t have been happier. Something darted from around a shelf and the sound of a small animal echoed through the quiet store. The young woman bent down and scooped the tan Otterling up in her arms. “We’re home Lior. It was quite the adventure, I’ll tell you all about it once we’re unpacked.”

The Otterling attempted to scramble up her arm to her shoulder, in order it sit on it, but Araedia let out a hiss of pain and moved Lior to the other side. The small otterling gave the girl a questioning look. “Sorry, it’s still hurts a bit. I’m fine though.” She chuckled rubbing the small creature’s head.

It certainly is nice to be back. Zaetlan fluttered out of Araedia’s pocket and buzzed around the room. If you need me, you know where to find me. A second later the shape vanished around the large clock that hung on the back wall of the store.

Araedia looked at her hair and sighed, it would take more than just a single wash to get all the knots, dirt, and leaves out, but one wash would be a good place to start. She turned back to the boy who had placed the large pack down and was now studying some of her glass pots, as he always did.

Araedia walked up next to him and ruffled Forrest’s hair. “Go upstairs and take a nice long bath. I’ll be down here, unpacking.”

“Are you sure? I mean-”

“Stop dillydallying and just go take your bath!” The young woman pushed him along with a laugh. “Feel free to take your time! Just call down when you’re done.”

“Will do.” Forrest mumbled with a shake of his head as he vanished up the stairs leaving Araedia alone in the shop.
Not that she minded. She was alone in the shop on most days and if anything she enjoyed the time. She picked up the heavy pack and started towards the back of the store, Lior still perched on her shoulder. Her eyes scanned the shelves of glasswork and metal objects. Everything was still there and in its proper place.

Araedia made her was behind the counter and Lior hopped off, sitting on the surface to watch the young woman as she moved around and put things away. Her eyes drooped slightly, though she forced herself to keep moving. It wouldn’t do any good to fall asleep before talking to Forrest about what Seraphina had told her before they left.

The thought had never left her. And while she tried to tell the boy on their way home, but he continuously insisted that she tell him only when they get home. I wonder who this Rose girl is? And just what does she know about the bandits? Will she even be of any assistance? The thoughts had crossed her mind often. Not to mentions that it bothered her that she didn’t even know what the girl looked like. She had even asked Seraphina and yet the fortune telling had said nothing about how they would identify the woman. Is she my age or Forrest’s age? Or is she someone older like Seraphina? She didn’t think it was the latter, after all the Mystic had described Rose as the “young girl” with the dark destiny. Araedia simply hoped that Seraphina had been talking about the same young girl.

With a huff she tossed the backpack under the counter and leaned against the counter top. Her eyes slid shut, though she knew that she’d never be able to fall asleep standing up. She let her mind wander until she heard her name being called.

“Ari! Come on, the bath is ready. I’m filling the tub for you now.” The young woman forced herself to stand up right and started up the stairs, clutching the rail so that if she did trip she could catch herself. “Ari?!”

“I’m coming. Gosh, no need to make such a ruckus.” It was getting dark, that’s what the she noticed as she passed a window, and if anything that just made her more tired.

Forrest stood outside of where the bath was, all he had on was a towel and Araedia rolled her eyes. “Go light the lanterns. Don’t bother with the shop; just the hall and my room there are matches on my desk. And even before that, put some cloths on!” Forrest scoffed as she stepped into the restroom.

“I don’t see why you still haven’t invested in electricity or a Light Rune.” The boy mumbled as he walked towards her room, shaking his head slightly.

“If you’re willing to pay for it, I’ll gladly invest.” She called as she closed the door to the restroom and locked it with a small flick of the latch. A single candle lit up the small room, and she smiled at the sight of the steaming water.

The young woman disrobed and slipped into the tub, a tired sigh escaping her lips. The warm water felt so good around her, like a warm and embracing, almost. Warm water was hard to afford around here, but when she could it was lovely. She leaned back in the tub, submerging her head. There was something about the quietness of being underwater that was so relaxing. The whole bath was a great experience for the tired girl, and afterword her whole body felt much better.

Throwing a towel over herself, she made sure it was tight enough before walking out of the restroom and into the hallway, which was lit up by two lanterns. She could see a third light shining fro her room as she made her way towards it, opening the door.

“And you told me to put something on.” The boy chuckled and Araedia rolled her eyes. “Do as I say, not as I do. Now get out of the room so I can change.” He obeyed silently and quickly.

About a minuet or two later, Araedia opened the door in a short sleeved shirt and some of her more comfortable pants. She watched as Forrest made his way back into the room and plopped on her bed. “Are those a pair of my sweats?”

“Yup. Not like I have any other cloths here.” The girl rolled her eyes and sat down on the bed. “Whatever…” She mumbled, leaning back against the wall. Even just sitting on her bed felt like heaven.

“So what did Seraphina tell you as we were leaving?”

“Right…” It had totally slipped the girl’s mind, as terrible as that was. “She told ma lot of things, about destinies and fates and stuff.” She mumbled trying to decide what to tell him and what not too. “And well… she told me about someone who can help us.”

“Really?” Forrest’s eyes lit up with something that Araedia hadn’t seen in days. A small smile tugged on her lips, this was her chance to get him back to normal, back to the smiling, carefree kid he use to be.

“Yeah. Her name is Rose. I think she’s that girl Seraphina brought up when we were talking about destinies.”
“And when she mentioned how dark our destiny was? Yeah I remember that.” He didn’t seem all to pleased with the memory, not that she could blame him.

Araedia frowned but nodded, she hated thinking about that. “Yeah… that one, I think. She sounds young but Seraphina insisted that the girl could help.”

Forrest nodded. “Okay then, what’s the plan? When do we meet her and how do we know who she is?”

Another sight escaped the girl’s lips, and Araedia leaned back against the wall. “This is where things get… complicated…” She mumbled rubbing the bridge of her nose. “Seraphina never told me what she looks likes, but she said that the place we would meet is Silverport.”

“Okay… so we don’t know who this Rose gal is, but we know she’s in Silverport. Well that isn’t too far from here.” Forrest’s dark eyes were up at the ceiling as ideas flashed through his brain, they were written all over his face. “So we rest here for a few days then just go over there and look around. There can’t be that many people named Rose there, right?”

“That’s the thing, we have to go in the winter, during the Yuletide event.”

“Why?”

“Like I know!” The young woman exclaimed with a wave of her arms. “That’s all that Seraphina told me. Yuletide Festival and someone named Rose.” She groaned and threw and hand over her eyes. “We don’t even know what she looks like!”

“So we have nothing until the winter?”

“Yeah… sorry. I’d offer to look for the bandits with you, but Seraphina said that Rose was our only hope at this point.” Whoever this person is. The more she spoke the worse this whole situation was sounding. “Whatever… let’s just get some sleep we’ll think this over in the morning. I don’t know about you, but I’m exhausted.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Forrest tried to hide a yawn by covering his mouth before sprawling across the bed. “Night, night Ari.”

“Hey brat, you don’t get the entire bed!” Araedia mumbled, trying not to yawn herself. She tried to move him over, but it was no use, she was too tired and he was too heavy and too rock like. Deciding to give up, she curled up between the boy and the wall, her knees to her chest. Even like that she soon fell asleep.
SkieNight

Previous

Return to Creative Writing