Watcher [Eldemore Fanfiction]

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

Watcher [Eldemore Fanfiction]

Postby Sarill » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:16 pm

I wrote a bit of a fanfic that goes along with the end of the event, so I figured I'd post it here. Feel free to read and comment on it. The two runes mentioned are my customs, so no touching. Anyway, here's the story!

I cradled the egg in my cupped hands, feeling the faint pulse of life within. My finger throbbed slightly, and I could feel my heartbeat in the slice in my finger, but those things were all secondary to the new life that I now held. The egg had been cold and dead when Sorren brought it out, I was sure of that, but now it had regained warmth. The warmth of my blood and a piece of my soul, but life nonetheless.

The assassin stood in front of me, waiting patiently as I got my bearing back. I felt different, somehow, after the ritual. Like a piece of me was in my hands, and that piece was connected to my heart as well.

The rune dragon on my shoulder chirped curiously, peering down at the egg with yellow eyes. I could sense his curiosity that mirrored my own. Deo looked at Muzu and chirped a question, to which the crow replied with a caw.

“So, what do I do now?” I asked Sorren, still at a loss. Five minutes ago I thought I was going to be dead. Now I’m a member of a shadowy organization with part of my soul inside a crow egg. That had not turned out how I had expected it to.

“You can get that purple rune out of my aviary, to start with,” he said irately, gesturing at Lila who was looking into one of the nests, wings out to steady herself and tail lashing. “She’s upsetting the crows, and going to break something.”

“Lila, come over here,” I called to her, and she broke off her exploration. Bits of straw and twigs were stuck to her muzzle, and I sighed as I brushed them off. She rubbed her soft head against my hand in gratitude from her perch on my other shoulder. I kept the egg carefully cradled against my stomach throughout this process. The drop of blood seemed to have merged with the egg, creating a pattern that wouldn't smear.

“Go out and wait with Aka,” I instructed the rune, and she flew out to wait with the guardian dire. “What’s after that?”

“Well, I’m not sure what the council was thinking, but they made you Willie and my apprentice. So I get to teach you. Oh joy,” he said flatly.

My eyes grew huge. “You’re going to teach me? Thank you so much!” I said, and flung myself forward into a hug, after carefully setting down the egg. I felt something sharp poke into my side as he stiffened.

“Don’t do that,” he growled. “I could have killed you.” I looked over to find him sliding a long, sharp knife back up his sleeve. Before he pried me off, I could feel the hard metal of several other knives hidden along his body.

“What don’t you understand about the fact that I’m an assassin? I have reflexes that could kill you if you aren’t careful. And don’t try to wake me up, either. If you do, you might wind up with a knife in you. I’m not as picky where I throw knives when I’m not awake, and can’t see my target.”

“Alright, be careful. Noted,” I said from a safer distance away. “Wait, does this mean you’ll teach me how to fight?”

Sorren looked as though he wanted nothing more than to just walk away, but he sighed and stayed where he was. “If you really want to know how to fight, go bother Willie. Leave me out of those shenanigans. How did you survive this long if you don’t know how to fight, anyway?”

“I can fight a little bit. And my companions help, since I can use some of their powers.”

Sorren looked at the rune on my shoulder with something akin to longing for a brief second before petting Muzu, who had alighted on his shoulder.

“Why did I even agree to do this in the first place?” he muttered under his breath.

“Would you teach me how to throw knives at least?” I asked.

“…Maybe,” he said reluctantly. “If you behave. And don’t bother me too much. In the meantime, we should get you a carrier for that egg of yours. Just follow me, and I’ll teach you as I go. And try not to break anything.”

I followed the man into the back of the Aviary, cradling my egg that I had retrieved after the attempt at a hug. Sorren was grumpy, but he did care. Maybe this wouldn’t be as bad as I had hoped.

“Hurry up!” he called from further in the room, and I rushed to keep up with him and not step on anything important. Maybe this would be a good learning experience, if I kept my life through it. Maybe.
Deo <3
Sarill

Return to Creative Writing