Story Time

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

Anyone Actually Reading This?

Yup
No votes
Yup, I like it!
No votes
Clicked the link, didn't read the story.
No votes
I might read it.
67%
Hi!
33%

Total votes : 3

Story Time

Postby Annalynn » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:01 am

A place for me to jot down spur-of-the-moment stories and ideas.
Hopefully this will help me get back into the writing game.

If anyone else wants to post their own writings that would be fine, I'll even link it into the table of contents!
Just put the title, chapter (if there is one), and type of literature.

Not meant to be a multi-person thread, but I like the idea of it turning into one.

☆Introduction
Once Upon a Time - Unfinished
NaNo: Day 1
NaNo: Day 2
NaNo: Day 3
NaNo: Day 4
NaNo: Day 5
NaNo: Day 6
Last edited by Annalynn on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Annalynn

Re: Story Time

Postby Annalynn » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:34 am

(Work in Progress)

Snow crunched underfoot as a young woman walked down an empty street. She frowned at the sidewalk, irritated to see the city had not sent anyone to clear the streets or sidewalks that morning. So, even if her car had been running when she was leaving for work, it still would have been a world of trouble making it through all the white, sloppy mush.

Oh, how she hated winter.

If the cold and the snow wasn't enough to make up her mind, all the holiday music and festive monstrosities decorating every building and store were enough to make her wish she could hibernate through the winter like some of the smarter mammals.

Melanie snorted. This was no fairy tail.
Annalynn

Postby Annalynn » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:22 pm

The baying of hounds sent a shiver down Celina's spine.

(Gotta start somewhere I suppose...either going to update later tonight or put in a lot of extra effort tomorrow.)
Current Word Count: 10
Annalynn

Postby Annalynn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:48 pm

The hair on the back her neck rose as she studied the woods behind her. They were getting closer. Luck had come to her aid in the form of a deer carcase, which had likely run after being fatally wounded. The scent proved a decent distraction and she was able to put another quarter mile between herself and the search party while the dogs' attention remained on the easier target.

Only, their howls and yips told her the hunt had resumed.

Her breath was coming in short bursts, and the screaming of her legs told her she wouldn't be able to continue for much longer. Branches pulled at Celina's hair and tugged at her clothes while briars and thorns left bitter red marks across her skin.

Current Word Count: 136
Annalynn

Postby Annalynn » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:28 pm

The young woman broke through the foliage into a small clearing. Unease crept up her spine as a sweeping glance revealed a smoldering campfire. It had failed to cross her mind that the hunter who had shot the earlier deer might be near. The crunch of dead leaves, sounding from her right, told Celina she would soon regret her absentmindedness.

The first thing she saw was the bow, notched and aimed for her heart. It followed her movements with such startling accuracy that let her know running would not end in her favor. Next to emerge was the man himself, eyes hard and calculating as he studied her. So Celina stood unmoving, breath still fast and harsh as she watched the green eyed man before her. Silently praying he would not shoot. Several tense seconds passed before he broke the silence.

“What have you done?” Celina's jaw clenched at the question.

“Nothing.”

His eyes narrowed. “Then why are they after you?”

“Bad things have been happening in their town.”

“What exactly?”

“Random fires. Crops drying out.”

“There's a spirit nearby?” His eyes left her a moment, searching their surroundings as though almost expecting one to appear.

“They think it's a person. Me.”

“And you say you have nothing to do with it?” His attention returned to her, suspicion, or perhaps curiosity, swimming in his emerald eyes.

“I have neither the desire nor the means.” Despite the truth in her words, Celina could not help but fear his next move. Many would rather take care of one suspected of such actions, rather than chance one of them getting away. To some, even the slightest suspicion was enough to warrant one's death.

A chorus of howls sounded, and they couldn't be more than a hundred yards away. Ice clawed at her heart, as she realized she was done. She couldn't make it past this man and an entire search party. Not with them so close. It was probably going to end, right here and right now. This man was going to shoot her and it would be over.

Indecision rose in his sea green eyes, but Celina only braced herself. It would fade, and he would finish what the others had begun. Better than should she be caught by the dogs, at least. This would be quick. It would be easy.

Despite her effort to calm herself, Celina nearly jumped out of her skin when the man lowered his bow and dashed forward. She nearly screamed when he grabbed her by the arm, jerking her back the way he had come. Together they crashed through the foliage, and she struggled to keep up with the nearly sprinting pace he set for them.

“Where are we going?” The raven haired girl questioned as her panting resumed. They made a sharp turn, and she failed to duck in time to avoid a hanging branch which then raked across her face. She winced but kept moving.

“I have a horse nearby.” He replied curtly as they twisted again into a new direction.

“Why?” Celina questioned, mistrust making it difficult to read into the situation.

“Why what?” He answered almost absentmindedly, as though he had already dismissed her presence.

“You're helping me. You have no reason to.” He glanced at her briefly, before returning his attention to what lay before them without an answer.

“Her huffing had turned to wheezing, worse than before she had run into this man. She wasn't going to last much longer, not like this.

Thankfully she didn't have to. They broke through a final layer of foliage that let into another, even smaller clearing where a small roan stood tethered to a tree. They rushed to the horses' side, and Celina was quickly heaved onto the horse before the young man hurried to untie the reigns before swinging onto the saddle in front of her. With a careful jerk of the reigns he spun them around, stilling the horse long enough to turn in the saddle and level with Celina, calm beryl meeting frightened azure.

“Don't let go, okay?”

Current Word Count: 818
Annalynn

Postby Annalynn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:45 pm

And they were off. She had but a moment to throw her arms around him before they were careening through all manner of greenery at breakneck speed. Breath caught in her throat, Celina listened to angry howls as the dogs realized their prey was getting away.

They continued for several minutes, pushing deeper and deeper into the woods. She listened as the sounds of her pursuers grew faint and then disappeared entirely. Her heart was finally able to calm its racing and her breath came easier. By some blessing of the spirits, she had been granted reprieve from the wrath of those who wished to condemned her.

Satisfied those who had been hunting her were no longer a threat, Celina's attention returned to the one who had made her escape possible. Confident they had eluded the villagers, he slowed them to a much calmer pace. She prepared herself to thank him for his rescue, before years of learned suspicion curbed her tongue.

Why had he decided, seconds after meeting her, she should be saved? She had asked as they began their mad dash from the clearing, but was unable to decipher the answer in his eyes. What she did know, however, was that very few did good for the sake of it. The only question, then, was what he expected to receive in return.

Celina tensed in her contemplations, suddenly unwilling to continue any further with this man. She was away from those who had wished to harm her. Staying any longer would only see her into another unwanted confrontation. Unfortunately, her unease was sensed by her temporary savior. He brought the horse to a stand still before twisting in his seat.

“Everything's alright.” She shook her head.

“I want to leave.”

“I sure, but–”

“Now.” She cut off, “I want to leave right now.”

“Cara can't gallop us all the way to Sherival. She'd go lame.”

“Do what you like,” Celina glowered as she moved to slide from the saddle. “I'm leaving.” Before she could get so far as to place one foot on the ground, she was being hoisted back up onto it. Incredulous emerald eyes stared at her.

“What gives you the idea wandering off alone gives you any chance at all?”

(Couldn't find time to post this yesterday, but it was yesterday's writing! Haven't actually started today's...)
Current Word Count: 1,194
Annalynn

Postby Annalynn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:56 pm

He attempted to step closer, but Celina matched every step.

“What makes me any safer with you than I was with them?” Fists clenched she glared. “What reason have I to trust you?”

His initial reply was only to look on with incredulously. It was a moment before he could find his voice.

“What reason?” Clearly, questioning her sanity – and perhaps wanting to shake a bit of sense into her by the way his fists also seemed to clench at his side. He shook his head. “Was saving you not enough? Taking you away from those people who were trying to kill you?”

“Right, you saved me.” Celina replied with bitter sentiment. “As did the man I met several days ago; kind enough to allow me to stay for several night in his inn when I became sick.” Her eyes grew hard, “And then, tonight I find him at the head of those who planned to kill me, accusing me of things I had no part in. As well as I know, he was the one who initially suggested my guilt.

“So, I’ll ask again. What reason do I have to trust the likes of you?”

“The fact that I’ve done nothing to warrant your mistrust,” He spoke as calmly as he could manage, though there was a clear strain to his voice. “Here, I’ve just saved your life. Rather than thanks I receive scorn and mistreatment? You sound very much like them.” The truth of his words caught her like a physical blow.

“If that’s what it takes, then so be it.”

“I will leave you to do as you please, then.” He shook his head, turning to attach his bow to the saddle and thus dismissing her presence. In the far distance the frantic howls began again. Her heart picked up its pace as she turned away from the sounds of leather and fury and started for the shielding depths of the woods.

Celina ignored the sound of him slipping back into the saddle, and the quiet clunk of hooves against the leave-strewn ground. She tensed, however, as they drew nearer. Just as she twisted, preparing to stand her ground and demand he leave, she was caught by the arm and promptly hauled onto he horse.

“Let. Go.” Celina seethed. “Right now.”

“No.” He finally returned her glare, eyes dark as a midnight forest. “I'm not going to stand by and watch you get yourself killed. You're coming with me, like it or not.” Opening her mouth for a particularly nasty retort, she instead screeched as she began to slide from the saddle as soon as the mare began her jolting trot. Her hands instinctively reached out to steady herself, and she ended up fisting her hands in the back of his shirt.

“Who exactly do you think you are?” She snapped, glancing at her surroundings and wondering if there was any chance of escape that would not result in broken bones or other significant injury. Jumping from horses as they moved at such a fast pace, though she had never tried before, she doubted would end well for her. Celina's mouth twisted into a silent snarl.

“Oh, where are my manners?” He replied with biting sarcasm. “I've forgotten to introduce myself. Please, call me Garrett.” He glanced back at her for a fleeting moment, in which she narrowed her eyes and did her best to convey the depths of her displeasure.

“I don't suppose I'll be learning your name, then?” His tone suggested he cared little whether she replied or not, but – despite a rather strong urge to do so – she would not play petty games with him.

“Celina.” The slight straightening of his posture might have been an indication of his surprise, but she could never be sure.

“Lady Luna, what a lovely name. A fitting one?” Her brow furrowed.

“I don't know what you mean.” He gave no reply, but a slight shrug of the shoulder. She studied the back of his head, silently contemplating the man before her. Although she refused to put all her faith in appearances, he did not seem to house any ill intent. By all measures he seemed a righteous, caring person. Perhaps even too kind, if he honestly sought to help her despite her clear refusal and dismissal.

Current Word Count: 1,913
Annalynn

Postby Annalynn » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:04 am

“Where are we going?” She broke the moment of silence with the reminder that she had, quite literally, just been kidnapped. For her own safety, a voice, sounding oddly similar to her compatriot, remarked irritatingly in the back of her mind.

“The town a couple miles south of these woods.” He replied thoughtfully. “Mobs like you got caught up in are fairly common in these parts; from what I've seen, it's unlikely they're try following you any farther than these woods.” He cocked his head to the side, listening for any sound that might indicate they were still followed. “I wouldn't be surprised if they'd already started for home.”

“We can't go south.” Celina spoke with panicked written in her eyes. “It's not safe!” Garrett raised a brow in mild surprise.

“Are there any more angry mobs I should be aware of?” He questioned skeptically. “Maybe we should teach you how to make friends.”

“It's not that!” She growled, looking around wildly as she attempted to gain her barrings and figure out how close they were to the end of the wood.

“What then?” He shook his head, flicking the reigns to signal the mare resume her brisk walk. “I've heard nothing of any danger in these parts. Nothing I can't take care of, at least.” Celina shook her head furiously, fingers digging into his arm as she spoke earnestly.

“Please, I can't!” The waver in her voice seemed to catch him off guard. “Why not go east? Isn't there a better town in that direction, anyway?”

“Really, Celina.” His hand reached back to grasp hers – in an attempt to both assuage her fear, as well as relieve the growing pain in his shoulder. “There is nothing to be afraid of. On horse we'll be their before dusk, the only thing between us and the town are the trees and river.”

“Won't the horse have trouble crossing the river?” She rushed to counter. “Certainly it would be better–”
“Is that the problem?” He remarked with sudden clarity, followed by good humor. “The river is nothing to trouble over. It only just reaches Cara's calves. The current is hardly enough to whisk you away, let alone her.”

“I won't! You can't make me!” Celina snapped with not quite the venom she had intended. Before them a narrow waterway, not as large as her reaction might have suggested, but this by no means comforted her. In fact, as they continued their way toward the languidly lazing river, her panic doubled.

“No!” She screeched as she clawed her way from his grasp, throwing herself from the horse. The briars she found herself nestled in almost made her regret the decision as new cuts and scrapes irritated the still fresh injuries she had received during her previous escape from a different evil. “Go if you like, but I certainly will not be accompanying yo across that!” With that final snarl Celina pushed herself onto her feet. No sooner had she did a startled screech follow her quick decent back into the armored shrubbery.

The raven haired female clutched her ankle, definitely regretting her narrow minded stupidity. Now, here she was in the middle of a forest with a self righteous lunatic and a sprained ankle, to make this day even better.

How on earth did I manage to get myself into such a terrible mess? She wondered idly as she did her best to ignore the pointless – haughty – babbling of the man who, she was sure, was determined to see them both into an early grave.

“-get yourself killed – and then me too, as I'm forced to try and save your sorry hide!” She no longer found it particularly surprising as he turned the mare around, reaching her (rather sore) side before stepping into the edge of the thistles to haul her once again from the “mess she stupendously had worked herself into”.

“Fine! Before you break your ruddy neck trying to get your way – we'll go around the damned river, alright?” Celina once again found herself speechless. He wouldn't force her across?

“Th-thank you,” She finally managed with eyes downcast, almost ashamed of her behavior. Certainly not expecting any sort of thanks, it was his turn to stare in a momentary shocked silence.

“Forgive me if I truly frightened you so terrible. I was not aware your fear of rivers would be so strong.” He raised a hand to rake through ebony locks, “But please, refrain from throwing yourself of my horse – you're starting to spook poor Cara.” Celina resumed her striking glare, deciding it would be the more appropriate response to most of his remarks.

“I shall try to keep that in mind next time, Garrett.” He nodded, ignoring the twisting of his name as he held out a hand, as though awaiting a ladies accompaniment.

“Celina.” Unimpressed though she was with his apparent antics, she accepted his invitations and rested her hand against his arm as he helped her back onto the mare. She then proceeded to twitch uncomfortably as he resumed his place on the horse, but chose to seat himself behind her; arms reaching around her to grip the reigns.

“Forgive me if I'm hesitant to give you any further attempts to throw yourself to your death.” He explained simply.

“As though such a short fall would cause me any serious harm.” She scoffed, though the rustling of his sleeves across her own, and the resulting rub of the coarse material against her numerous wounds reminded her otherwise.

“Right.” He muttered, unwilling to engage in anymore arguments. “Regardless, I hope you do not mind, but I shall continue with our current arrangement.”

“Why might that be necessary?” Though she did little riding herself, she had learned enough to know it was customary the woman seat herself after the man when they shared a horse – unusual enough even then.

“With this detour around the river it will be midday before we can arrive in town. Cara has rested these past days as I was hunting. I'm sure–”

“You're a hunter?” A sliver of unease crawled down Celina's spine. It was hunters and trappers, so skilled and at ease with the art of tracking, who typically were recruited to hunt down those like her who had–

“Calm yourself, please.” He sighed. “Yes, I am a hunter, though tracking is my specialty.”

“Where are the hides you've come for, then?” Celina countered, knowing very well he had nothing with him.

“At camp.” He replied shortly, clearly losing patience with her mistrustful line of questioning. “I had planned another tree days out here before returning home. Unfortunately,” He gave clear insinuations through the stressing of his last word, “I ran into quite the dilemma, and find I cannot return and retrieve my catches lest I run into your dear friends.”

Celina held her tongue, again almost feeling sorry in light of this newest revelation. Trappers were running short on time as days were quickly growing colder and colder and animals were preparing themselves for hibernation. Soon, most of their prey would be gone and with them so would the rest of the mammals, prepared to wait out the winter season hidden away until spring and warmer weather returned.

(Haha! That's more like it!
Although, I feel like it's serious quantity over quality, but that's the point of NaNo, isn't it?~)
Current Word Count: 3,120
Annalynn

Postby Annalynn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:02 am

Well, my word count has improved...at the loss of story quality, unfortunately. It's kind of embarrassing actually.
So, until I have the chance (after NaNo ends) to revise a little, I'll just be posting word counts here <3

NaNo: Day 7 - Current Word Count: 4,516

NaNo: Day 8 - Current Word Count: 13,362 (Never again!)

NaNo: Day 9 - Current Word Count: 15,037

NaNo: Day 10 - Current Word Count: 16,718

NaNo: Day 11 - Current Word Count: 17,388

NaNo: Day 12 - Current Word Count: 20,000
Annalynn

Return to Creative Writing