In the Dark

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

In the Dark

Postby DragonDream » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 pm

In the Dark

I had my dragon story here, but decided to try something else. I wanted to practice things in first person perspective and do something different with the story. So, here we go. Questions and comments welcome.

Never knowing anything but confinement all your life leaves you sheltered. None of us knew what the world would be like after all this time. We were a civilization living in the dark, in ignorance of the world above us. Nobody alive today remembers what everything was like before. However history and stories seem to be shoved down everyone's throats if the past was ever mentioned. Before everything went sour the world above was a wreck. Or so I've heard. War, sickness, nature choosing to hate human kind too, it was all inevitably leading to destruction. So civilization was moved underground. Well, at least what was left. They say its been about a century or so since we were hiding in the dirt. Some say it was longer. I guess we waited too long, because none of us were ready for what was on the surface.

I was about eight when the decision was made to send people out. We were running out of supplies and basically would have died of starvation if we stayed down there. So we really didn't have a choice. When the scouts came back alive everyone was far too eager to leave causing pandemonium and a uncontrolled exodus that left everyone unprepared. Sheltered people flocked to the outside world, and that got most of them killed. Thankfully some had enough sense to take what little supplies there was left and begin to establish "camps", if you can even call it that. Anyone left alive today have been through a lot to stay that way. I will be the first to tell you that the outside world is nothing like it was in the stories.

DragonDream wrote:So, I am starting from scratch in a more straightforward manner. This is a short intro just to give some background.
Last edited by DragonDream on Sat May 28, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DragonDream

Re: Shadows of the Dragons

Postby cippisweet » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 pm

This is a great story so far, and so descriptive! Keep them coming!
cippisweet

Return to Creative Writing