The Drive Home - Short story

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

The Drive Home - Short story

Postby muriel » Mon May 23, 2016 10:28 pm

Author's note:
        Posting is okay. I was narrating my drive home Saturday night. Enjoy!

The Drive Home
        A short story by pianissimo

xxxxxxxxAs we drive home, I am filled with a small sense of happiness, the darkness of the night time sky beautiful. It was a night like no other. Tonight was a blue moon. The second full moon this month, and I, along with millions of others, got to see it. An even like this only happens once every year and a half or so, and I've seen it before, but it's always so fun to see. As we turn the corner, I feel myself slide a bit. Perhaps my seat belt was too loose?

xxxxxxxxI adjust my seat belt, and as I lift my blue and grey eyes, their it was. The beautiful moon in it's array of beauty, the clouds surrounding it, and the trees in their silhouetted beauty. I smile as the 7-11 bag shakes lightly at my feet, it's crinkling almost a satisfactory sound. I let my mind wander at the thought of this night and it's beauty. What made the night so beautiful, I wonder?

xxxxxxxxOur white car slowly and quietly makes its way up our hill, nearing closer and closer to home. My eyes scan a larger silhouetted tree through my thick long lashes. The tree's shape reminded me just the slightest of a wolf howling. Perhaps it was howling at the blue moon. But who knows. That tale was not for me to tell, for it is the tree's tale, not mine. Maybe it was trying to reach out to the trees around it. Maybe it just wanted company in the darkness of the night.

xxxxxxxxI haven't brought my phone, but that's okay. I enjoy the simple scenery near my home on the way back from our short journey to 7-11. My Uncle, who is driving, and I are silent on the way back, but it's a nice, calming silence. Again, the bag at my feet rustles, with what sounds like a fwsh fwsh. I smile at the sound of the bag. It almost reminds me of my childhood when I would take a bag just like this one, tossing it into the air and attempting to catch it as if drifted down to the ground.

xxxxxxxx Finally, our small white car turns onto our three house road, my Uncle's foot barely hitting the break as we do. The silence we've shared continues as we roll down the street, into the darkness that surrounds and ensnares our drive way. Slowly he comes to a stop, pulling the keys from the ignition. I take a moment to pause and sit, thinking back on the beautiful night sky and the stars that illuminate the fabric of the sky like rhinestones on a dress.

xxxxxxxx I unbuckle my seatbelt, grabbing the bag at my feet and opening the door. I step out into the cool night air, taking a deep breath. The cool night air felt almost like electricity as it entered my lungs, and warm steam as it left, as if the electricity had been used up. The only thing protecting me from the cool night air was my Living Free Animal Sanctuary sweatshirt, and even that was thin. A small, lightly weighted shiver is sent down my spine from the cold, but I ignore it.

xxxxxxxx I allow myself to walk slowly and admire the bejewled sky, taking in every breathtaking inch of it. Tonight Mars, Saturn, and one other planet was visible. It was beautiful. Mars appeared the closest to the moon, while Saturn was far out of reach of the Moon's light. But to Saturn that didn't seem to matter. It had it's own small shining light.

xxxxxxxx Again I take another breath of electrifying, cool night air. Again as it leaves my lungs it feels as though it's energy had been drained. The car beeped as it was locked, and I jumped lightly. The car's beeping interrupted the calm and relaxing silence of the night, but that was okay.

xxxxxxxxAnother electrifying breath is drawn in as I walk towards our brown with dark brown trim home. The bag in my hand once again flutters, this time with the soft, cool breeze that blew my dark ivory hair into my face.

xxxxxxxx As we reach the front door, my uncle prepares his keys, their soft jingle almost sounding like a gentle tune in my ears. The sound makes me think of my piano, and the beautiful sounds it makes when played. From their my mind wanders from the sound to the keys of ivory which produce the sounds. Then, almost too quickly, Clair de Lune comes to mind. I can hear each heart felt, warm note in my head.

xxxxxxxx The tale of Clair de Lune is unknown. Only Claud DeBussy knows that. He wrote it. But I can tell you that this is merely a phrase of my tale. For my tale is as long as my life shall go, and my tale still continues. Where this tale shall go... I do not know. But my tale shall be told like that of Clair de Lune and the tree shaped like a howling. One day. One day.

xxxxxxxx The sound of the front door opening shakes me from my thoughts, and I step inside, the warmth of my home enveloping me. The familiarity of my home is kind, gentle, and warm. As I make my way down the hall past the living room to the kitchen, I look to see what the rest of my family has been watching. 60 Minutes is on. Scott Pelley is on the screen, the usual magazine article his background.

xxxxxxxx My gaze at the television is short lived, as I enter the lowly lit kitchen. Me and my Uncle dont bother to turn on any lights. But that's okay. As we sit and take out the contents of out bag I turn on our television and we enjoy what is being broadcast on the TV's current station, beginning our night together.

The End

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed this! Feel free to post and comment! More stories like this one will be posted on this thread!
    yeet
    I still check in once in a while. Feel free to trade or pm me.
muriel

Return to Creative Writing