A strange thing happened to my son...

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

A strange thing happened to my son...

Postby Margaret_tucker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 am

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I live in Canada with my family. I am here to share a strange experience which I had two days back. My younger son and I were sitting in a park near our house. We were enjoying a walk in the park when my son reached out to feed a squirrel. Literally, I could see only one squirrel there and my son fed him as usual. At the time, five more squirrels suddenly burst out of the hedge and all of a sudden I remember is him screaming. I was really shocked to see my son's hand which was covered with blood. The squirrels ran away with the food that my son was holding. I suddenly took him to the hospital and the doctors spent an hour to treat his wounds. Now, my son is recovering slowly but still frightened after that incident.

So my request for you people is that please don't feed wild squirrels. The squirrels are so greedy that they have started attacking children for their food. I would like to share some tips to get rid of such creatures:
1) Prepare a spray with mixtures of hot pepper, garlic and cloves.
2) Use naphthalene flakes which help repel the squirrels.
3) Aspirin and peanut butter work well as a natural squirrel repellent.

Once these squirrels get access to your house, then it is very difficult to get rid of them. Last day, I found a squirrel clan in my attic and I took the help from one of the squirrel removal services to chase them. Hope you guys find it useful and be careful while handling such creatures. Have a nice time.
Last edited by Archer on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: For safety reasons, please don't identify the city you live in. Advertisement link was also removed.
Margaret_tucker

Re: A strange thing happened to my son...

Postby Marras » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:47 am

That is pretty common thing to be honest. It sometimes may be more scarier for the mother than the other involved. I understand how your own childs blood may seem shocking at the time, because the child is so important to you and you have this feeling to protect the child. Some children may get traumatic memories from these things, but it can be fixed when teaching the child about it that what may have been the cause of it.

I must ask that did you see if your son tried to grab the squirrel from tail or body when feeding them? (I'm not sure how old your son is so that's why i ask.) That may cause the incident back there. Or the squirrel just is careless and gluttonus how you said it and the wild thing didn't know which part of the human hand was the food vs. skin. Third explanation may be that the first squirrel propably got paniced too when there were more squirrels competiting for the food around and just grabbed "something/anything" in a rush from the hand before the other foes come to fight for the food.

Every animals around the particular invironment are acting differently. It is good you told other people about this, but i think you should talk to your son about it so he doesn't get scared wild animals in the future. Maybe go to another place where the feeding is allowed (i got a hinch that you were on a normal park where some other folks may have tamed these squirrels and the animals were too curious and hungry to you guys, because you asked people to stop feeding freely the animals) and there is no so harsh food source competition going around within the animals. Breeding season may also be a bit risky.

I hope this incident won't affect much to you or your son, so you can together enjoy the beautiful animals that we still have around us.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
ImageImage
Marras

Return to General Discussion