Candies and Sweets

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Candies and Sweets

Postby Shinwanée » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:17 am

Just a general topic of any sugary snacks, desserts, and beverages you have liked and/or tried and would like to share. I'm also interested to read about non-US sweets and brands. You can also post images of your confectionery creations and recipes.

Yesterday, I've bought a 5oz. bag of Red Vines since they were on sale. I've never tried them before and I'm curious. There is a hot debate over which "licorice" candy is better: Red Vines vs Twizzlers. I'm a fan of Twizzlers and have always brought them, especially when my local grocer would seasonally have them on sale in large stock with many flavor varieties. Alas, poor Red Vines have been outshined and rarely caught my eye since I could just get Twizzlers cheaply. (I also have the option to buy 2.5 oz or a 12 oz in those 2 for 1 deals that occurs every Halloween/July 4th)
I cannot sleep, so I decided to have a light snack while reading and grab the twist. Turns out I don't really like them. It's strangely more soft and chewy than Twizzlers but also has stiffer ridges that gets stuck between my teeth. I noticed that it's more hollow which would make a nice straw if only the flavor wasn't bad. I can't tell what it's supposed to be! The classic red Twizzlers are stated to be strawberry. (Maybe if you really stretch your mind but it's some kind "fruit") Those Red Vines have this tingly feeling, like weak mint that overpowered whatever the red flavor is. A quick search said they originally were raspberry but changed the formula to "Original Red" that is only listed as artificial flavor on the ingredient list. I keep thinking maybe it has imitation licorice or anise extract. To me, that is even worse than real licorice/anise!
Now I'm just going have to reluctantly bare it until the candy gets too stale before throwing out the leftovers. It's such a same because I love the Spangler companie's Dum Dum Pops and their mints. (I should buy some candy canes for the tree next month.) Just as with the circus peanuts, these are going to be the lowest tier of my candy list. And that's saying a lot since the fruity candies almost always wins over chocolates for me.
If you like Red Vines then that's good, but I'll pass. Now it's been awhile since I had cola soda, so a re-evaluation of Coca-Cola Vs Pepsi needs to be done, along with Icee Vs Slurpee.

Extra note related to topic: I really missed those discontinued Starburst Fruit Twists. They really taste like the Starburst fruit chews. I wished for them to return. I've still seen those Starburst flavored jellybeans, gummies, candy corn, candy canes, gum and even lip gloss(!?) around.
[*needs to be more social*] Hopelessly addicted to virtual adopdables.

Happy New Year Eldemore!
Image Image
This calls for pancakes!
(Work in Progress as Always)

......................................................................................................................................
Shinwanée

Re: Candies and Sweets

Postby Sphye » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Shinwanée wrote:Yesterday, I've bought a 5oz. bag of Red Vines since they were on sale. I've never tried them before and I'm curious. There is a hot debate over which "licorice" candy is better: Red Vines vs Twizzlers. I'm a fan of Twizzlers and have always brought them, especially when my local grocer would seasonally have them on sale in large stock with many flavor varieties. Alas, poor Red Vines have been outshined and rarely caught my eye since I could just get Twizzlers cheaply. (I also have the option to buy 2.5 oz or a 12 oz in those 2 for 1 deals that occurs every Halloween/July 4th)
I cannot sleep, so I decided to have a light snack while reading and grab the twist. Turns out I don't really like them. It's strangely more soft and chewy than Twizzlers but also has stiffer ridges that gets stuck between my teeth. I noticed that it's more hollow which would make a nice straw if only the flavor wasn't bad. I can't tell what it's supposed to be! The classic red Twizzlers are stated to be strawberry. (Maybe if you really stretch your mind but it's some kind "fruit") Those Red Vines have this tingly feeling, like weak mint that overpowered whatever the red flavor is. A quick search said they originally were raspberry but changed the formula to "Original Red" that is only listed as artificial flavor on the ingredient list. I keep thinking maybe it has imitation licorice or anise extract. To me, that is even worse than real licorice/anise!
Now I'm just going have to reluctantly bare it until the candy gets too stale before throwing out the leftovers. It's such a same because I love the Spangler companie's Dum Dum Pops and their mints. (I should buy some candy canes for the tree next month.) Just as with the circus peanuts, these are going to be the lowest tier of my candy list. And that's saying a lot since the fruity candies almost always wins over chocolates for me.
If you like Red Vines then that's good, but I'll pass. Now it's been awhile since I had cola soda, so a re-evaluation of Coca-Cola Vs Pepsi needs to be done, along with Icee Vs Slurpee.

Twizzlers are some of my favorite candies! The sweet and sour twizzlers ropes, with the tangy gel in the center, are a nice treat. Pull-n-peel twizzlers were easily one of the foundational blocks of my childhood! They remind me of my grandma, who would often spoil me with candy or drinks from the gas station.
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Re: Candies and Sweets

Postby Shinwanée » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am

^ My childhood candy would be Jolly Ranchers! Specifically green apple flavor. My brother would have cherry. (Sort of like when we played as Mario and Luigi. What were we thinking back then?) And these were shaped like flat rulers instead of the regular bite-sized minis nowadays.

I also remembered having a thing for Hostess Snoballs and Tastykake honey buns. Now I find any sweet made by Hostess, Little Debbie, and Tastykake to be too sweet. I only go back to try any of the new limited edition flavors they offer. So now I'm just happy to replace those baked goods with one's from little convenience store like 7-Eleven or Walgreens, the grocery or even better, local bakeries.

One thing I missed back then. Was this little shop that used to be part of a strip mall. I forgot the name and I guess it's more like a luncheon. They serve sandwiches and fries, but it's most popular for it's ice cream. People would line up staring at the counter to order. My mom would treat us to ice cream and I always like the Rainbow one. It's not rainbow sherbet, it's just ordinary vanilla flavor that's a pastel rainbow color. I loved it! Nobody sells rainbow vanilla ice cream anymore.
Too bad it closed down and pretty much everything did that the mall became abandoned. Everything in my old neighborhood was gone, not only the stores at the mall but also the Chinese carryout three blocks down. Only the Safeway (and surprisingly the laundromat across that 4 lane street) has been alive but a few years recently, the place has a few stores opening up. I still wonder if vanilla rainbow ice cream is even made in a parlor somewhere.
[*needs to be more social*] Hopelessly addicted to virtual adopdables.

Happy New Year Eldemore!
Image Image
This calls for pancakes!
(Work in Progress as Always)

......................................................................................................................................
Shinwanée

Return to General Discussion