Any Aquarium Owners?

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: Any Aquarium Owners?

Postby MUTT » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:10 am

I've kept tropical fish for many years. Bettas are my favorite when it comes to small tanks (I'm talking 10 gallons, not bowls!!) and HUGE personalities. Awhile ago I lost my fish to a total tank crash after spending inconceivable amounts of time and money trying to hospitalize and heal everybody. After a period of grieving, I took everything I learned and set up a wonderful axolotl habitat. It's currently cycling, and I'm on a waitlist for a handsome copper axolotl come next month. They're two, going on three months and ready for homes soon! <3 I've had a lot of fun aquascaping this one! Just made a nano tank out of a jar for the ramshorn snail that hitchhiked home on the driftwood I bought from my favorite LFS. >>' Their name is Vagabond, and I hope they're the only stowaway! The Axolotl's name is Ollin.

Maybe I'll upload some pics of the tank setup and the parent axolotls. I'd LOVE to see photos from others! I'm new to these forums and not totally sure how replies work but here goes some kind of effort:
@Boston Yes! Yes! Axolotls, yes! Talk to me about your axolotls!
@Spearow I want to see these girls so much oh man. My last girl Yolandi didn't live with other bettas, but did keep the company of several corydoras catfish and she got along wonderfully with them!
“Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” - The Old Astronomer to His Pupil ► Who Am I? ◄
MUTT

Postby Polly44 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Polly44 wrote:I treated him for white spot for about a week, but the white bits on his fins didn't go, so i changed the medication to one that covers more things and that seems to have cleared those white spots up, but now he still looks funny. Got like white patches on him, i thought it was because of the flicking against things and it damaging his scales, but i don't know.
Hmm, i might try and do a proper clean then, maybe that will help him. I did a large water change when i swapped medication a few days ago.

Oh, i didn't know that, will have to keep that in mind, thank you.

The temperature is 28.something when i last checked, normally it's about 26.something, but i turned it up when i read that too lower temperature can cause lethargy and that. Thinking maybe that will help him.

I do see what you mean, a lot of fish in stores are poorly looked after and maybe my tank is much better than that, but i just can't stop thinking that i've done something wrong somewhere and that's why all the fish bar the two Otos keep dying. And especially after just 2 months with me. Makes me think i've really messed up somewhere, as 2 months is not long at all. Ah, impressive. Wish my fish lasted that long. Though the one Oto we have had for more than a year now.

I am trying not to give up on him and i so desperately want him to get better, as i miss watching him flare and chase the algae wafer and all that. But part of me worries i am not doing enough to help him, even though i don't know what else i can do.

He recovered from whatever that was and he was lovely for another few months. Then about a month ago I noticed something was up. Started treating him for everything again, but nothing worked. He passed away today and I am heartbroken. Glad he isn't suffering now but maybe I could have done more. I don't know.
R.I.P Obsidian.

The other two are fine as far as I can tell. But will check when I can stand to look at the tank again.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Polly44 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Apologies for the large pictures!

I bought the Bonsai from where i work this week as i just fell in love with it. I am attempting to make the tank more natural, so i'm debating changing the gravel, but i don't have anything else to put the fish in while i do it, so i'm not sure yet. I want another tank, but not sure if i can get one yet. xD
I've got the two Otos i bought last week, as i lost my old ones a while back now. And the Siamese Fighter called Nebula you can see in one of the pictures.

I might get some shrimp or Galaxy Rasboras as well. I haven't decided yet. It's 28 litres so i can't have much in there, but shrimp would be fine as they don't add much/if anything to the bioload if memory serves. And the Rasboras don't get big, so i might be able to have a few in there. But i can't decide. I love the Fighter/Oto combination, heh.

(Oh and yeah i know about the slime stuff on the heater suckers. For some reason i've never had it before, then my old heater died and i got that one and now it keeps appearing on those, but only those ones. I checked with my colleagues at work and they said it just means i have excellent levels of good bacteria(?) i think they said in my tank. Though i do keep meaning to check the water PH/Ammonia/etc.)
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby KenmilltoSky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Ahh fish keepers!

I've got an 18 ft x 14 ft x 3.5ft garden pond, roughly 20,000 litres, with a variety of goldfish. A few of my favourites include a 14"+ white common goldfish called Ghost and a similarly sized gold/white comet called Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I've also got a Fluval Roma 240. I've got 3 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 4 red rainbows and 3 crossing rainbows. I've also got a rescued gold gourami, a rescued synodontis catfish and a rescued 14 year-old weather loach. My pride and joy are my two super red bristlenose pleco females though. I had a male but unfortunately he passed. <3 They bred a lot though and now I've got babies.

Which leads me on to my 60 litre small bristlenose pleco grow-out tank with a variety of babies.

And I've also got a 100 litre tank with a few guppy and platy. I'm going to a fish auction this weekend and I'm hopefully going to get myself some nice female guppy!
Hoarding German Shepherds in memory of my dog Skye <3
KenmilltoSky

Previous

Return to General Discussion