Any Aquarium Owners?

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: Any Aquarium Owners?

Postby Polly44 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:10 pm

I treated him for white spot for about a week, but the white bits on his fins didn't go, so i changed the medication to one that covers more things and that seems to have cleared those white spots up, but now he still looks funny. Got like white patches on him, i thought it was because of the flicking against things and it damaging his scales, but i don't know.
Hmm, i might try and do a proper clean then, maybe that will help him. I did a large water change when i swapped medication a few days ago.

Oh, i didn't know that, will have to keep that in mind, thank you.

The temperature is 28.something when i last checked, normally it's about 26.something, but i turned it up when i read that too lower temperature can cause lethargy and that. Thinking maybe that will help him.

I do see what you mean, a lot of fish in stores are poorly looked after and maybe my tank is much better than that, but i just can't stop thinking that i've done something wrong somewhere and that's why all the fish bar the two Otos keep dying. And especially after just 2 months with me. Makes me think i've really messed up somewhere, as 2 months is not long at all. Ah, impressive. Wish my fish lasted that long. Though the one Oto we have had for more than a year now.

I am trying not to give up on him and i so desperately want him to get better, as i miss watching him flare and chase the algae wafer and all that. But part of me worries i am not doing enough to help him, even though i don't know what else i can do.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Spookly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Today I went to a museum!
They had a fishtank that was done by the Tanked crew from Animal Planet!
It was pretty cool! They had pictures with the cast and everything.
I love fish and fish tanks haha
~~~ TBF
Spookly

Postby Cruellinnet » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:45 pm

I have aquariums..I think the worst part is taking apart canister filters to clean them. So much fish goo...and it seems to go right for your face some times :X

they're good pets tho! more quiet than a cat or dog and with less mess.
Cruellinnet

Postby Silverfox12578 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi everyone. :)

So.. I'm looking for some rather urgent advice..

I brought a small school of glo-fish danio's today and I'm a bit worried about them.. they are extremely hyperactive.. one or two of them looks bloated and they are mostly staying at the top of the tank, they look really stressed (They aren't gasping and I don't think they're showing any other signs of sickness, they even ate a little fish flakes earlier). My water perameters are normal, I have tested it, and my tank is fully cycled. My temperature is at 25-27 degrees celsius.
is it just the stress of bringing them home to a new tank or could they be sick?

Please offer any advice! Even though I've only had them for a few hours, I love these little guys and I don't want to loose them.
Thank you for any help!
~#♢My Homestead Guardians♢#~

Image Image

~#♢ Echo & Eclipse♢#~

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If anyone needs any help or is just looking for someone to talk to, don't hesitate to send me a PM! :)

♢<☆~☆~☆~☆<♢♡♢>☆~☆~☆~☆>♢
Silverfox12578

Postby cjr09 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Silverfox12578 wrote:Hi everyone. :)

So.. I'm looking for some rather urgent advice..

I brought a small school of glo-fish danio's today and I'm a bit worried about them.. they are extremely hyperactive.. one or two of them looks bloated and they are mostly staying at the top of the tank, they look really stressed (They aren't gasping and I don't think they're showing any other signs of sickness, they even ate a little fish flakes earlier). My water perameters are normal, I have tested it, and my tank is fully cycled. My temperature is at 25-27 degrees celsius.
is it just the stress of bringing them home to a new tank or could they be sick?

Please offer any advice! Even though I've only had them for a few hours, I love these little guys and I don't want to loose them.
Thank you for any help!

From personal experience, I can say that glofish in particular are generally just not well when bought from chain petstores like Petco or Petsmart- they seem to me to be more susceptible to stress-related illnesses and PH imbalances and similar changes in the tank- I find that they don't do well at all in the small three-to-five gallon tanks that you can buy simply due to the fact that they are in a plastic tank; though I can't say I've looked after them enough to really know for sure.

Glofish are still dainos- super pretty genetically modified dainos, but dainos nonetheless- so they should exhibit all the same behaviors and have the same needs; how many glofish do you have, and in what size of a tank? Dainos are schooling fish, but in a small enough tank without any other fish- bigger fish, typically- they don't exhibit the same behaviors, and will often simply just not feel the need to school at all. I have a 35 gallon tank that went from five dainos to two over the course of almost nine years now- those dainos about rule the tank, but I don't have any typically aggressive fish in the tank nor have I ever, and so all of my typical 'schooling fish' just don't school at all; different fish have different personalities, and the typical behaviors change depending on those personalities and the conditions they're under. It really just takes time to narrow down what's 'normal' for your fish, and they're figuring it out at the same time themselves.

Moving into a new tank is a really stressful experience for a fish, especially as your tank will be very different from the pet store tank- it will have none of the bacteria and be at a different PH level, as well as being a self-contained system whereas in pet stores the tanks are all hooked up to the one pump- all of the water for all those tanks circulates through all of them and it makes them 'feel bigger' to the fish- there's nothing you can really do about this, and it just takes the fish a little bit to get acclimatized to their new surroundings.

However, feeding them during this time is a bad idea- their bodies are already trying to process the new water, new oxygen levels, new space of movement, and physically processing food and the excess oxygen they take in from gulping the food off the surface can really knock their systems for a loop, and it can cause them a lot of stress if they overeat or take in too much oxygen- that could be why two of your fish look bloated, from taking in too much food or oxygen or both- they'll look and feel a little miserable for a while, but it'll pass. Fish are pretty tough- they don't get sick unless they're stressed out about something and that compromises their immune systems, so give them a little bit to sort themselves out. ^^

I'd recommend just keeping an eye on them for the time being, maybe not feeding them for today and tomorrow if they still seem unwell by then- but they're tough little things, and they'll pull through if you give them time to get used to their new surroundings. :)
cjr09

Postby Silverfox12578 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi Cjr09.
:)
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
They seam to have calmed down today, they look a bit more relaxed than they did yesterday. They are exploring the tank more and they aren't bloated anymore. So I guess it was just the stress. (I didn't know that you shouldn't feed them the first two days.. sorry.. I'm still kinda new to this..:) so thanks for clearing that up.)

I know they are GM Danios. (I always do some research on a fish before I buy them.)
I know quite a bit about them and their needs.
I was just worried I brought some sick fishies or they got hurt when they were trying to catch them at the shop (the guy was a bit rough.. yes I did moan at him :lol:) ..
I didn't want them to die..
Sorry.. I worry about everything.. :roll: :oops:

I have 9 glofish in a 20 gallon tank.
I also have a small 8 gallon tank but it's empty. I was thinking about getting a betta fish to put in the extra tank or just using it as a hospital tank in case some of my fish get sick.
~#♢My Homestead Guardians♢#~

Image Image

~#♢ Echo & Eclipse♢#~

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If anyone needs any help or is just looking for someone to talk to, don't hesitate to send me a PM! :)

♢<☆~☆~☆~☆<♢♡♢>☆~☆~☆~☆>♢
Silverfox12578

Postby Bast-et » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:24 pm

I LOVE fish <3

I've currently got two tanks, a 10gallon and a 55 gallon.
The 10 currently has 5 neon tetras, a pleco, and a white betta named Echo. It's heavily planted and has too many snails XD

The 55 has got 12 tigers barbs, both striped and green, a mated pair of angelfish, and a rather large gourami/kissing fish. It isn't as heavily planted, but also has driftwood and stacked rocks for more structures.
ImageShivali
Bast-et

Postby Spearow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:11 am

I have a few female cambodian crowntail bettas. Maybe I will post some pictures of them soon. ^^ They were in a betta sorority tank but after one of the females died I had to break up the remaining two because bad idea to have too small of a group or they get sassy/try and fight.

Depending on individual temperaments though and a big enough tank, you can keep 4-6+ female bettas together. Interesting I haven't come across many other people that know that or have a sorority tank. My two girls left are pretty funny, you can play with your bettas with laser pointers, they like chasing the little dot around in the tanks and its pretty funny to watch. xD

Oh and their names are Priscilla and Petra. My first betta fish was named Persephone, I made it a personal tradition to name all my bettas with names beginning with 'P'.

lgbt•Insomniac•call me Spearow•
-

Hello! Looking for trades and have over 120 pages of Wishlist. (:
Say it before it is too late wrote:

My DC ScrollMy ChickenSmoothieMy Official Trade Thread
Spearow

Postby Bast-et » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Spearow wrote:
I have a few female cambodian crowntail bettas. Maybe I will post some pictures of them soon. ^^ They were in a betta sorority tank but after one of the females died I had to break up the remaining two because bad idea to have too small of a group or they get sassy/try and fight.

Depending on individual temperaments though and a big enough tank, you can keep 4-6+ female bettas together. Interesting I haven't come across many other people that know that or have a sorority tank. My two girls left are pretty funny, you can play with your bettas with laser pointers, they like chasing the little dot around in the tanks and its pretty funny to watch. xD

Oh and their names are Priscilla and Petra. My first betta fish was named Persephone, I made it a personal tradition to name all my bettas with names beginning with 'P'.

I adore Bettas, and usually have several tanks dedicated to them. While I've never had a sorority tank, I am familiar with them and would love to put one together some day to see all their personalities. I've personally had lots of luck keeping mellow male bettas with dwarf gouramis. Although it's generally not recommended, I've found that bettas aren't good enough swimmers to really hurt the gourami, and the gourami have little interest in picking on the Betta if well fed =]

It's so funny that you have a naming theme for your bettas too! All of mine have been named after the military radio alphabet; I've had an Alpha, Delta, Foxtrot, Echo, and Romeo. I only deviated once for an especially aggressive red Betta I named Matador.

I'd love to see pictures of your two females <3
ImageShivali
Bast-et

Postby Peach » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:27 am

I have a pink colored male betta named Romeo and two yellow platies named Citrus and Sunny. Romeo lives in a 2.5 gallon aquarium and the platies are in a 10 gallon together.
hi! the name's Peach. I like drawing, playing video games, and snuggling my kitty cat <3 I joined in 2013 but completely forgot about this website until very recently so experience-wise I'm a newbie. =)
Peach

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion