Any Aquarium Owners?

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: Any Aquarium Owners?

Postby HornedDragon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:29 pm

You wanna talk about fish? I can tell you alvot about fish....

I've owned fish since i Was about 8. Started like any other budding aquarist, with a simple goldfish with the classic name "Goldy" Now Goldy was a very large fish, so much that i always suspected he was not actually a "goldfish" as we know the basic feeder but instead a Shubunkin also referred do as the poor mans Koi. Sadly Goldy died after around 3 years when my young nephew, he was around 5 at the time, came over and knocked his full food container into Goldy's bowl. By some sick twist of fate I had not sealed the container properly the food all spilled out, and poor old Goldy literally ate himself to death. -.-

I got my next fish, after a lot of begging. She was a silvery-blue female Betta. I named her Samoan. She lived with me until I was 15. That was an almost 4 year old fish. She lived in the 'classic' betta habitat of a simple vase with some pretty rocks and a plant. Looking back I'm surprised she lived that long, its a terrible place to keep a betta. The poor fish is swimming in its own waist and there is no way you have enough room in one to actually keep the poor dear happy and healthy.

After her death, I got a 2nd betta Maxwell. He was just a generic blue. He developed seem sort of swim bladder problem and ended up dieing one night the 2nd year we had him. At 17 I developed a fascination for "Live bearing" fish. If you don't know what these are they are fish that give birth to live young, hence the name. Popular fish such as mollies and platies fall into this category. I had about 5 of them 2 males 3 females, they had a pretty nice setup a 20 gallon tank half sand half gravel substrate. I had a fascination for coral reefs at the time so all of my ceramics inside looked like coral. I was always pretty proud of that tank. I had them until I went to collage, Though the tank was very large, i never got a chance to really see the babies, the parents and other fish were sadly very good at hunting them down and eating them. -.-

When I got into collage, My fascination with fish was in full swing. I had an apartment to myself and I took up actually breeding fish for a profit. I bred 3 betta pairs. about 20 mollies and 10 platies and sold their babies to the local fish shops. It was good money I wasn't complaining. I'd get about 40 to 50 bucks per a batch of babies per a pair. Now I've been scolded about this, I've been told that "They weren't your pets you just used them, You looked at them and saw dollar signs not something to love and care for." You see, this is wrong. would you tell a dog or cat breeder that their pet is nothing more than a money maker to them? If you would then you are pretty close minded.
You dont know how many sleepless nights I'd stay up with my mollies in labor just to make sure that they were ok. How long I cried the night one of my little "dalmatian" girls died because she was young and the stress of her first birth was too much. No they were my pets, I loved each of them and I took good care of them, I made sure the babies I sold were good quality so that the fish lovers that eventually got them would have a good stock.

Eventually I didn't have the time to devote to the breeding of my mollies. It had been a few years my original stock was growing old so I stopped actively breeding them and just let them live out their lives in my tank. Now don't think that all the fish I had were breeders at that time. I also had a 45 gallon tank stocked with an array of Tropical fish. I had 4 Angel fish, Neons, 2 Plecos, (one albino, one regular), 2 bala sharks, 2 iridescent sharks, A shubunkin, and 2 loaches. My breeding stock also ended up in this tank as well as any babies I wanted to keep for myself.

As time went on I found myself wanting to get Piranhas. this never happened, I suppose its for the best lol I just wanted them because they were cool looking. Instead I found myself with not one but 2 baby oscars. Now I did a bad thing getting these 2 I had done no research and got them merely because "They looked cute" little did i know these little 2 inch long cuties would eventually become the 18 inch long behemoths I had until recently. Yeah lads and lasses, do your research, that cute little fishy you see at the pet store could become a huge fish one day. their names were Big boss and Big mamma. One was a black tiger, the other was albino. They were so hard to take care of, water changes are a beast when your fish is almost as big as you are across. Not to mention the fact that they lived in a 125 gallon tank I picked up from the local tropics shop for about 100 bucks because they were retiring it.

Now I've said before that I used to breed fish, well My oscars just happened to be male and female. So as the course of nature goes they had babies. And they ate their babies. Aside from the 2 little guys i was lucky enough to grab the next morning. I kept these 2 till they were around 6 inches long then gave them to my friends.

Sadly, Boss and mamma passed away about half a year ago. Mama Contracted Cancer and had a tumor growing on the side of her head so bad that I got her put down instead of watching her suffer. And Boss was never right after she passed, he stopped eating and moving really and just kind of faded away.

they experience with those 2 was so gut wrenching in the end. Their bond was so strong they were a mated pair that I mean I'll probably never be able to own big fish like that again.

right now i own a single male betta. I used to have 2 they lived in a split 5 gallon tank on my desk. Meow & Dandy. Dandy was this big green crown tail, the looked a lot like another one of my bettas N. Who got half eaten by a my roommates frog when he got out. Meow Is this big red-purple brute who hates everything. Dandy passed one night about a month ago. Meow is still living he like biting at my rats when they pass by his tank lol.

So that's.. most, of my fish story. I can answer most questions about fish, I know so much since i was once a breeder lol.
Life Asked death
" Why do people love me, but hate you? "
Death responded,
" Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth. "

Even when Earless
Remember, always stay Fearless

||||
HornedDragon

Postby Vlad » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:40 am

Well, it started when I was 5 or 6.
Yes, 5 or 6.

After lots-I mean lots- I finally got to get some fish!
I chose 3.
One was some kind of algae eater called Speedy, because she was very fast when the lady at the pet store tried to get her out of the tank.
The largest was a big spotty shubunkin called, never would have guessed, Spotty.
And then the other one was a silver shubunkin called Silver. She was my favourite.
I was very imaginative when it came to names, wasn't I?

Let me say that I assume Speedy is a she, because the other two were females.

So, I kept them for two years and then we moved house.

I came back from school one day to see Speedy-wait for it- on the floor. I was amazed, as the lid was pretty tight and the cats had actually left him alone. Yes, that's right, our cats left Speedy alone on the floor. Immediately I picked him up and Speedy moved, so I quickly put him in the tank and he was ALIVE. He was perfectly fine and swam around as normal.
A few months later, Speedy died from, well, we don't know. RIP Speedy the invincible, as I called him..

So, perhaps a few weeks later, I came back from school and Silver had gone. In her place, was a fish that was not remotely like Silver in my opinion. So of course I told my Mum that it wasn't Silver.
She told me that Silver had dissapeared so she got that one in the hope I wouldn't notice. I called her Silver 2.

A few weeks later my Mum was cleaning the tank as usual and Silver turned up! She was stuck behind the filter, I think.

Then another few weeks, we went on holiday and came back to Spotty dead. She'd swallowed a stone.
Maybe another year, and then Silver..Well, something was wrong with her. Her tail had kind of twisted around. But she fine.
Eventually it got worse.

So, a few years later and we got the biggest tank we've ever had. We put large pieces of gravel rock things at the bottom (so they wouldn't swallow one!). We added a few live plants and one or two plastic ones, a large rock formation and a bunch of rocks.

At this point, Silver could hardly swim. She just sat at the bottom. Silver 2 always cuddled up next to her.

A few months later, Silver died.
I cried for hours that day.

So then we went to the pet shop and we had to get a fish from the ponds. You see, the others were tiny compared to ours in their huge tank. We got a large shubunkin called Tiger.

It was happy for a few weeks, until Tiger gave a disease to Silver 2 and they both died.
RIP.

I still haven't got any other fish.
he/him
signatures are for people that have motivation

Vlad

Postby TurtlezSoup » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:49 pm

I own a (about) 2 foot tank (used to be four foot but downgraded as it was like huge and I didn't own that many fish). We've been trough a lot of drama. Lately, I've had a lot of fish die on my because of ammonia etc. I've had like 3 surprise pregnancies xD 2 mollies got pregnant and gave birth through the night, ad then I believe open of platy's gave birth rather recently.

Sadly, a lot of my mollie' children died because they never made it and were eaten or simply died. The only survivor, Hannibal Lector, is now growing big and strong (probably because he ate most of his brothers and sisters >.>)

My favourite fish, by far, is Brisket McBriskerton (a name which no one else but myself can pronounce) my bristle nose Plec!
TurtlezSoup

Postby HornedDragon » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:33 am

I'ver owned mollies, Live birthing fish are actually one of my favorite types. I used to go to the stores like Walmart and specifically purchase the very pregnant females, and ask if I could also have the babies in the bottom of the tank because places like that are not equipped to handle spawning fish. Sadly it is the cycle of life that not many of the babies survived for me as well, they were not selectively bread so i mean, it is to be expected.

And plecos are fun, I had a large albino bristle nose who one night just, poofed into nothingness. We still don't know what happened to him. o-o

you ever get yours out and play with him? Alby would settle on my arm when i was cleaning the tank and just suck away lol.
Life Asked death
" Why do people love me, but hate you? "
Death responded,
" Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth. "

Even when Earless
Remember, always stay Fearless

||||
HornedDragon

Postby TurtlezSoup » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Horneddragon wrote:
I'ver owned mollies, Live birthing fish are actually one of my favorite types. I used to go to the stores like Walmart and specifically purchase the very pregnant females, and ask if I could also have the babies in the bottom of the tank because places like that are not equipped to handle spawning fish. Sadly it is the cycle of life that not many of the babies survived for me as well, they were not selectively bread so i mean, it is to be expected.

And plecos are fun, I had a large albino bristle nose who one night just, poofed into nothingness. We still don't know what happened to him. o-o

you ever get yours out and play with him? Alby would settle on my arm when i was cleaning the tank and just suck away lol.

We were first time fish owners, and when we got our mollies one was pregnant for about a week or so, and gave birth through night so we were quite surprised. Hannibal lector survived, but none of the others did, and none in the second 'batch' either.

That's the shame about your albino, I've had a a few fish go *poof* too, one of my mossy/green Tiger Barbs defiantly disappeared (I only have two now ;3; But they are quite peaceful, surprisingly, (and goes against what the local pet shop said too, they said they could become very aggressive.). I think its because I've had them since they were very, very young and were raised with most of the other fish in the tank. I have one male and one female now (mossy/green tiger barbs, I mean xD).

Brisket is quite shy, and likes to hide away in 'his' (fake) log. He loves it in there, it's so dark in there I can barely see in it xD He tends to take a rota on when he's active though, sometimes you can see him all the time in the day time, and then only active at night XD. He seems to like my black kus (snake things, not sure if that's exactly what they are called.) though. He'll just kind of sit there when they swim over him and stuff, while he moves away when my other fish come near him. My kus also like to hide underneath this air pump turtle thing, but the turtle isn't hooked up to anything it is just decor. But underneath the body there is like a hollow bit so they just stay in there. I checked before to make sure that it wasn't too small but them. I'm pretty sure they dug a little passage into it. They just poke their head's out a lot, it's so adorable xD

My plec tends to stay away when I feed them and only comes out when I've put the lid back down. All of my mollies and barbs and stuff though come up to and 'kiss' my arm/hand when I put my hand in just to have a little play.
TurtlezSoup

Postby Polly44 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Earlier this year me and my mum decided to buy a fish tank and a couple of fish. We don't have room for anything huge, so we have a 28 Litre one. It was a nightmare to cycle. The first time we did it, we did everything correct apart from giving the tank some food to provide a bit of ammonia for it to buid up the bacteria. So it didn't work very well, but we thought it had, so we went and got 6 fish. Four Platies of varying genders (I didn't know how to tell then, so i have no idea) and we got two Swordtails. (A male and a female.....well she was supposed to be.....but, ah wasn't so very female as time went on. And i am sure they were gay, as when she was very obviously a male they swam next to each other all the time, lol.)

At fist things were okay, then the Ammonia problems started. We lost one Platy to ammonia i think. But managed to keep all the others alive, then one of the other Platies had a gimpy fin and died. So then we got two Guppies, which both died i think. So we got two more Guppies, one died, but the other lived and we got two Shrimp. We sorta solved the Ammonia, then they all got White spot and died. And the medication we tried (too late) killed the Shrimp. xD So that was a bit of a disaster, which was a huge shame, as they were all lovely fish. The two Swordtails were gorgeous, they were called Spike and Amber, but i later had to change Amber to Tyke, when she became a male.

So we emptied/cleaned and re-cycled the tank (properly this time) and got two more Platies and two more Swords (who are definately male and female) and everything was going fine until a few weeks ago, when white spot showed up again. But we spotted it quick this time and saved them all (touch wood) but we had to take all the decorations out as the medicine stains it and now one of the Platies is really clamped and sulky, cuz she was getting bullied. She came out a bit earlier though, so hopefully she is feeling better now. :) But i think i overfed them a bit, as i gave them a treat earlier, but i think it was a bit too big, as the one Platy and Sword are looking quite fat. xD Hopefully they will be okay though, the Sword seems okay, but the Platy is just hanging out at the top now, so i think he might be a little bloated. Will fast them for a couple of days, though i'm a bit worried about the other (really clamped) Platy as she hardly ate anything.

(Yes, i know now that the tank is too small for the fish, but we cannot get a bigger one as we don't have the room. The fish store told us several times that it was fine for the fish we wanted, but apparently not. So not sure what we are going to do, as the other three seem really happy.)
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby boston » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Hello everyone!
I love fish and have many tanks. My biggest being an 80 gallon cichlids tank and smallest being a 3 gallon for a betta. But my favorite has to be my 40 gallon which houses a pair of axolotls. Does anyone else have axolotls or are interested?
boston

Postby Lilac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:01 am

My guppy (one of like 500 XD) committed suacide by jumping out of the bowl overnight XD

I'm Lilac! I've been on the site for a while but just came back from a long break. I love all 90's grunge and alternative rock as well as 80's hair rock. I also love the San Antonio Spurs and the Golden State Warriors
so feel free to PM me about any of these topics! I love trades and wont let them rot! If you are a newbie (under 2 months on the site) PM me for a gift! Have a wonderful day!
Lilac

Postby juice » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi! I have five aquariums. c:
1 gallon - Baby Betta
5.5 gallon - Betta, a pregnant guppy, and a snail.
6.6 gallon - Betta
20 gallon - African Clawed frog.
40 gallon - 3 fancy goldfish.
~ He/him or they/them ~
juice

Postby ParisIsBurning » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:36 pm

I own a beta fish, does that count? Actually at least i own a fish, so I'm assuming that counts.
PaRis ~
ParisIsBurning

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion