NaNoWriMo

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: NaNoWriMo

Postby Silverhart » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:04 pm

cjr09 wrote:I said I'd do it, so here I am!

Day 1 on NaEldWriMo

ccccccccccccccjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj! This story speaks to my soul...bird. Speaks to my soulbird. I need more!

Cabe wrote:I went to see if there a thread for this here, and it turns out there is!
I made an on the whim decision today to write those 50,000 words, so we'll see how I do. It's not exactly a question of whether I can do it or not (I will write 50,000 words no matter what, I can't give up on this endeavor as well), but more of a question whether the writing will be decent. I have yet to plan anything, so the next few days will be spent doing that, and then I'll start writing. I'll probably have to write a large part of it over thanksgiving break, because school likes to steal my time, but hopefully I'll be able to write around 1k-2k words a day and it won't come to that.
Is anyone else doing it this year, or is everyone just going to do a short story a day? (Which is a challenge as well, I might try that one month.)

Oh, I can assure you from experience it will not be decent. XD Don't even try to make it decent because you'll never hit your goal if you do. It's gonna be a mess, so just accept it and enjoy process. X3 The first half might turn out decent, but after that it's all down hill when you're running on nothing but sleepless adrenaline and caffeine.

Best of luck to you and everyone else doing it! I'm just cheering from the sidelines this year. Hopefully I can get the motivation to do more editing/writing throughout the month, but it won't be on one single project.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Cabe » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Silverhart wrote:Oh, I can assure you from experience it will not be decent. XD Don't even try to make it decent because you'll never hit your goal if you do. It's gonna be a mess, so just accept it and enjoy process. X3 The first half might turn out decent, but after that it's all down hill when you're running on nothing but sleepless adrenaline and caffeine.

Best of luck to you and everyone else doing it! I'm just cheering from the sidelines this year. Hopefully I can get the motivation to do more editing/writing throughout the month, but it won't be on one single project.

Ah, I think I knew that deep down, I just didn't want to accept the reality. XD That'll mean a lot of editing afterwords then.
XD That's probably what's going to happen, between school, projects, and trying to money before Christmas so I can get people actual presents. I'll most likely have a few sleepless nights on the weekends or thanksgiving break to reach the goal or get a bit ahead. I guess I'm doing this more for the experience though, since I've always liked writing. I've always written a lot of short beginnings of stories, but I always lose the motivation to continue after a few thousand words, and I feel like pushing myself to write this much in one month will really help. Part of my problem is that I don't do a lot of planning before I start a story though, so I never know really where I'm going, what I'm going to do, or who the characters really are. I'm going to try to change that this time, and really plan things before starting to write. They have a lot of good reference materials on their site.
Hoarding:
I hoard all Otterlings. I love any and all, and would love to get a trade with them in it. I also have a hoard goal of 20 for the fairy jackalopes.

Trades:
I adore trades, and am always happy to work something out with someone, so feel free to send me one anytime! If you're unsure about something, please PM me or check out my trade thread.
I am currently looking for baubles and Otterlings on my wishlist!

Other:
Need help or want to chat? Feel free to PM me! I may not seem like it but I'm always happy to chat with someone or help someone out.

Cabe

Postby Silverhart » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Cabe wrote:Ah, I think I knew that deep down, I just didn't want to accept the reality. XD That'll mean a lot of editing afterwords then.
XD That's probably what's going to happen, between school, projects, and trying to money before Christmas so I can get people actual presents. I'll most likely have a few sleepless nights on the weekends or thanksgiving break to reach the goal or get a bit ahead. I guess I'm doing this more for the experience though, since I've always liked writing. I've always written a lot of short beginnings of stories, but I always lose the motivation to continue after a few thousand words, and I feel like pushing myself to write this much in one month will really help. Part of my problem is that I don't do a lot of planning before I start a story though, so I never know really where I'm going, what I'm going to do, or who the characters really are. I'm going to try to change that this time, and really plan things before starting to write. They have a lot of good reference materials on their site.

Planning is good - I'm a heavy planner myself, but make sure you don't over-plan. It's easy to get bogged down in planning process. When I did it last year I only had a rough idea of the plot. Instead I focused on developing my characters - figured if I had interesting enough characters that would keep me going even if the plot was pretty bare-bones, and it did work for me. XP But other people are different.

Just remember, the goal is to get words down. I know it's called 'National Novel Writing Month', but writing an actual novel takes a whole lot longer. XD I'm still editing my novel from last year, but even though it's drastically different from what I did during NaNo, I'm so thankful to have those 50,000 words to fall back on. I got to know my characters, I got to figure out what I wanted to say with my story, I got some awesome scenes planned out, and I figured out a lot of stuff I should do, and even more I shouldn't. So just get words down. It's less about writing a publishable novel, and more of a learning process really. ^^
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Silverhart

Postby Cabe » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Silverhart wrote:Planning is good - I'm a heavy planner myself, but make sure you don't over-plan. It's easy to get bogged down in planning process. When I did it last year I only had a rough idea of the plot. Instead I focused on developing my characters - figured if I had interesting enough characters that would keep me going even if the plot was pretty bare-bones, and it did work for me. XP But other people are different.

Just remember, the goal is to get words down. I know it's called 'National Novel Writing Month', but writing an actual novel takes a whole lot longer. XD I'm still editing my novel from last year, but even though it's drastically different from what I did during NaNo, I'm so thankful to have those 50,000 words to fall back on. I got to know my characters, I got to figure out what I wanted to say with my story, I got some awesome scenes planned out, and I figured out a lot of stuff I should do, and even more I shouldn't. So just get words down. It's less about writing a publishable novel, and more of a learning process really. ^^

Yeah, I'm just going to try to get the basics down. I'm giving myself tonight and tomorrow to plan, and then my day off (I'm not sure why it's a Tuesday, it's going to feel really weird) I'll start writing. I know if I spend too much time on planning, I won't be able to write all those words.
Yeah, character development is one of the most important things of a book, because without characters, it's hard to write a good book. They're the lifeblood of stories, probably the most important part.
I agree. I think I just like to think I'm writing a novel. XD I know one person who did it a few years back, and they're still editing theirs and won't let anyone read it. Not that that's a really long time, a good book almost always takes a few years. A harsh lesson taught from reading too many unfinished series.
I hope my writing improves this month, because writing this much is will definitely be a learning process for me, as I'm not an incredible writer, and there's so many things I'm unsure of how to write. Perhaps I'll re-write the short story I wrote today after I finish all of this. I'm also really excited for writing my characters - I've had a few characters that I've really wanted to develop more, but I've never really had the time and/or motivation to do.
Hoarding:
I hoard all Otterlings. I love any and all, and would love to get a trade with them in it. I also have a hoard goal of 20 for the fairy jackalopes.

Trades:
I adore trades, and am always happy to work something out with someone, so feel free to send me one anytime! If you're unsure about something, please PM me or check out my trade thread.
I am currently looking for baubles and Otterlings on my wishlist!

Other:
Need help or want to chat? Feel free to PM me! I may not seem like it but I'm always happy to chat with someone or help someone out.

Cabe

Postby Sany » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:28 am

I tried this last year and only got one chapter done before Schoolwork catched up with me haha.

F O L L O W lalaY O U R lala D R E A M S

My Hoards
♥ Jackalopes
♥ Stage 1 Otterlings
♥ Cuttlefish
♥ Stage 1 Foo Dogs
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
lalalalalala
Haiia, I'm your average Eldemore addict!
I love all sorts of art, such as music,
crochet, photography and painting!
In real life, I'm a busy PhD student
and teaching assistent in medical sciences.
Oh, did I mention I'm a total Eld addict? ♥

lalalalalalalalalaT H E Y lala K N O W lala T H E lala W A Y
Sany

Postby cjr09 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:23 pm

alright doing better than I hoped completed day 2's prompt!
cjr09

Postby BBkat » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:34 am

Despite having started work on an outline(since I'm doing an au fanfic that's been bouncing around my head for a few months now, which basically involves a rewrite from episode one, so I had to decide which episodes could be cut/glossed over and what should be kept to be rewritten, I don't usually plan but I had to in this case) I am way behind OTL
I hope to use this weekend to get a move on but, I need to stop getting distracted by everything and write.
I am determined to do this though. I may be juggling a job at the same time as this, but it hasn't stopped me before and I've gotten it done.
Image My UNGROUPED tab is not for trade!
BBkat

Postby Silverhart » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:49 am

Getting to be that time of year again! ^^

Anyone else doing Nano this year?
Hellooo!
Silverhart

Postby NMarra » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:59 am

I had planned to, but I don't think it's gonna happen this year. xP
NMarra

Postby Sphye » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm hoping to write a concept of mine for NaNo! I still have so much to develop, though.
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion