Plants!

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Plants!

Postby Polly44 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:40 am

Hiya,

So this is the Eldemore topic for anything and everything to do with plants. :) Feel free to post anything you want about plants, facts, questions.....etc.

(WIP)
Last edited by Polly44 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Re: Plants!

Postby Jendalie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:21 am

It looks like you might have a little mushroom there?

It resembles the early stages of an urban mushroom called 'Japanese Parasol/Umbrella'. (:
.: Eldemore Facebook Page : DA Page : Knobs and Bobs Blog :.
My Free Group is: OPEN (One per person)
Jendalie
Administrator

Postby Polly44 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:22 am

Jendalie wrote:It looks like you might have a little mushroom there?

It resembles the early stages of an urban mushroom called 'Japanese Parasol/Umbrella'. (:

Oh, cool. I just googled them and it does indeed look like one of those, i would never have got that. Mum said we should pull it up, but i just wikipediaed? it and it says they only last a few hours anyway. So not sure what we are going to do with it yet.

Thanks very much for your help! :D
ImageImageImage

Polly44
Account:

ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Polly44 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:20 am

Just fell out with my parents over the fact that chopping the top off a plant seems stupid to me. I don't understand why you would do that. My parents say it makes the plant have more flowers and that it's a great idea basically. But we planted a load of sweet peas earlier this year and i nabbed one and have refused to cut the top off it. And it is growing amazingly it's massive and lovely. (And isn't that the point?) The others are tiny in comparison, though yes, mine is on my windowsill and the others are elsewhere.

Dad also said the point of chopping the top off is to stop it growing up and make it grow outwards, but that's a load of rubbish too, as mine has got a lovely pair of stems growing out each side.

I'll try and get a photo later.
ImageImageImage

Polly44
Account:

ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Silverhart » Tue May 19, 2015 11:24 am

Polly44 wrote:Just fell out with my parents over the fact that chopping the top off a plant seems stupid to me. I don't understand why you would do that. My parents say it makes the plant have more flowers and that it's a great idea basically. But we planted a load of sweet peas earlier this year and i nabbed one and have refused to cut the top off it. And it is growing amazingly it's massive and lovely. (And isn't that the point?) The others are tiny in comparison, though yes, mine is on my windowsill and the others are elsewhere.

Dad also said the point of chopping the top off is to stop it growing up and make it grow outwards, but that's a load of rubbish too, as mine has got a lovely pair of stems growing out each side.

Actually that's completely true. Pruning a plant will help it produce more flowers/fruit/branches. Here's an article that can explain why.

You just have to make sure you're cutting it correctly. ^^ There's tons of sites online that can explain it (Like this one), and even done incorrectly it rarely harms the plant in the long run.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Zrcalo » Wed May 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Oh man, I remember taking agriculture courses in highschool. We would get in shipments of baby poinsettias, and while they were growing, we'd get the strangest plants growing beside them. I think, mostly because there were scattered seeds. I'm not sure though. We would get a lot of marigolds though. XD
ImageImageImage
Zrcalo

Postby Polly44 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:52 am

Silverhart wrote:
Polly44 wrote:Just fell out with my parents over the fact that chopping the top off a plant seems stupid to me. I don't understand why you would do that. My parents say it makes the plant have more flowers and that it's a great idea basically. But we planted a load of sweet peas earlier this year and i nabbed one and have refused to cut the top off it. And it is growing amazingly it's massive and lovely. (And isn't that the point?) The others are tiny in comparison, though yes, mine is on my windowsill and the others are elsewhere.

Actually that's completely true. Pruning a plant will help it produce more flowers/fruit/branches. Here's an article that can explain why.

You just have to make sure you're cutting it correctly. ^^ There's tons of sites online that can explain it (Like this one), and even done incorrectly it rarely harms the plant in the long run.

Huh, i suppose it does kinda make sense then. xD

Also does anyone know what this is? We found it in the same pot as a fern i bought off the carboot, we thought it was a baby fern, but now we ain't so sure.
ImageImageImage

Polly44
Account:

ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby rose; » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:49 pm

does anyone know proper care for cacti, and if the kind they would sell at say, walmart, are going to stay small in their pot? i'd like to have one in my room next year when I move to college but i don't want to not properly care for it or get one that's going to grow and I'd have to replant
just gifting out my collection. no longer really have time.
rose;

Postby scmarshtacky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:08 pm

rose; wrote:
does anyone know proper care for cacti, and if the kind they would sell at say, walmart, are going to stay small in their pot? i'd like to have one in my room next year when I move to college but i don't want to not properly care for it or get one that's going to grow and I'd have to replant

I have no idea what kind of cacti Walmart has, and I won't pretend to be any sort of expert on the matter, but my neighbor is obsessed with plants. She has a good many cacti that look like this: Scientific name: Echinopsis calochlora
The ones that she had, didn't require very much water, and though they grew, they did so very slowly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am your friendly Eld moderator,
here to assist all Eldemorians with
their general needs. Feel free to
send me a message at any time
to ask questions or chat. ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
scmarshtacky

Postby rose; » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:29 pm

I don't know what kind they have either, but I suppose they're just the really common ones. They're small and they're usually sold in a pot, and I do think I've seen ones like that before.
just gifting out my collection. no longer really have time.
rose;

Next

Return to General Discussion