Pet Parrots

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: Pet Parrots

Postby Sneky » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Hey everyone. Unfortunately, Kiwi passed away about a month ago. He suffered a stroke a day before he died and had irreversible brain damage, so we decided to put him down to end the pain he was in. He's in a better place now, but I still miss him dearly.
On the other hand, one of neighbors was surrendering their parakeet about a week ago, so we adopted him. His name is Dusty, he's 4 years old, and he's very friendly. Obviously, no bird will ever fully replace Kiwi, but it's nice to have a bird in the house again.
And AuraDragoness, your birds are absolutely adorable! Conures are such pretty birds.

Hey, I'm a Musician/Artist
that's up for chatting about pretty much anything.

~I'm up at unusual hours, so sorry if I don't see
trades/messages 'till late at night.

~Regarding trades, I only really trade for wish list pets,
and I don't trade anything I don't have a double of.

~I used to be the.Marshmallow.Owl

~Shiny new chatacter thread (yum yum)

Trades: Open
PM's: Open
Sneky

Postby Polly44 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 am

Coyote wrote:
    Hey, everyone! I don't have any type of bird at the moment, but I'm a fan and I hope to add a feathery friend to my home soon. I just wanted to pop by and introduce myself. I'll probably be stalking for a bit.

@AuraDragoness: I loved looking at the pictures of your flock! They are all so cute and colorful! In particular, I think "Cuddles" and "Scooter" are some absolutely adorable names! <3

@Sneky: Oh my, that sounds devastating! Poor Kiwi. I wish there was something I could do help you two out in this difficult time. Hopefully your vet will be able to find a way to help Kiwi feel better.

@Startedraining: The way you talk about zebra finches, they sound like they have the potential to be a lot more hands-on-fun than their reputation as cage birds would lead one to believe. They sure are cute, either way! Too bad they aren't available in my region. ^^;

@All: Is there anyone here who has experience with both budgies and lovebirds? They seem fairly similar in behavior and care requirements, but it would be cool to hear a comparison from someone who has actually owned them. I'm strongly considering those two species as my first bird(s).

While I have never owned Budgies or Lovebirds myself, I worked in a pet shop that often had both in. Care requirements are very similar though Budgies can be kept alone if handled enough, while I wouldn't recommend that with Lovebirds. You could probably do it, as I have heard of it, but I myself would not. Behaviour wise they are quite similar, though I often found Budgies to be the easier of the two. Lovebirds I found could be quite distant and skittish compared with Budgies. A budgie would probably be easier to tame as well. I've heard of people taming Budgies in days, whereas Lovebirds not so quickly.

I would recommend Budgies to any beginner though. Purely because while they are not exactly a spectacular bird and are very common, I think they can often hold the qualities most valued in birds- friendship/companionship and interest. Some of them are hilarious! And you can find some very pretty ones sometimes as well.

But that's just my experience at the shop. I would quite like to get a Budgie one day.

Oh and I am so sorry to hear about Kiwi. :( One of the worst things in the world.

Oh and totally separate, but my mum's pair of Crimson Rosellas have come into breeding season again. So wondering if we will get any chicks this year. He still has green on his chest, indicating he is not fully mature yet, so I'm leaning towards maybe next year. But we shall see.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby AuraDragoness » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:40 pm

@Coyote Ahh, thank you^^ And while I've never owned Lovebirds or budgies myself, I do know that with lovebirds (from what I've seen) either need a mate, buddy, or your attention as if you were their mate.

@Sneky: So sorry to hear about Kiwi :( Loosing a pet you love is hard but now he no longer has to live in pain. I hope that Dusty lives a happy life with you^^

Also, Luna is terrified of Cuddles, which is hilarious since she's a large cockatoo and he's a very tiny conure XD Then again, he is older than her by 12 years. Oh, and Sunny is fearless. Emmy and Luna always try and chase him off what they have claimed is theirs but he's always like "LOL nope; I can out-fly you so you don't scare me nyeh~ ;P" such a sassy little bird.

Rascal is so spazzgasmic and weird, always under his paper rustling about and making indistinguishable grumbles and mutters to the point where he passes out from using so much energy. Scooter's your stereotypical moody teenager, and Luna is like taking care of a 3-year-old for the rest of our lives XD
Naesala♥ImageImage♥Solveig
AuraDragoness

Postby Startedraining » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:18 pm

I can provide credentials to the "budgies can be tamed in days" comment: one of my parakeets was never handled before I obtained him and he was very easy to tame. My other one though, through the same circumstances, never handled well to being outside of his flight. Picking a flight budgie instead of a handfed one is more of a grab-bag of personalities. Handfed budgies are already used to humans and can be easier to adjust. :>

I'm very sorry to hear about Kiwi! What a poor baby :C
I know you did what was best for him and I'm sorry for your loss.
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return