Pet Parrots

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: Pet Parrots

Postby Sneky » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:15 pm

I am so sorry to hear of your birds' passing. It's always hard when animals die suddenly, but I hope your two new birds live long, happy lives. I love the name Quark, it sounds absolutely perfect for a little parakeet!

Hey, I'm a Musician/Artist
that's up for chatting about pretty much anything.

~I'm up at unusual hours, so sorry if I don't see
trades/messages 'till late at night.

~Regarding trades, I only really trade for wish list pets,
and I don't trade anything I don't have a double of.

~I used to be the.Marshmallow.Owl

~Shiny new chatacter thread (yum yum)

Trades: Open
PM's: Open
Sneky

Postby Polly44 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Startedraining wrote:
its been a little rough lately, sorry for the reply that is a few days late

my birds passed away from some kind of toxin i couldn't identify :< i cleared away everything and hunted down all possible sources, and after making sure my home was secure, I bought 2 more parakeets. eventually, i will get another cockatiel, but for now, I have Quark and Odo.

Quark is a very dark gray parakeet and I have no idea what kind of morph he is! Odo is all yellow and I think his eyes are tinted red, so he's maybe an albino green. I'll have to take a better look to be sure. :>

Oh, i am so sorry to hear that! Losing any pet is always heartbreaking. So don't worry about replying late- it's fair enough.

They sound lovely though and Quark is an excellent name indeed.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Startedraining » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Thank you! Quark is the character in my avatar as well! Cx

Quark and Odo are frienemies in the show together
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby TricksterGabriel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:37 pm

I find it really upsetting when an animal passes on, especially parrots (and other bird types) I currently have a rescue parrot that I adopted from our local animal shelter that found him laying on the side of the road with some sort of bite in its wing (most likely attacked by a cat) They are unsure whether it has an owner so we are taking care of it until that is confirmed. The parrot is quite loud and happy most of the time (apart from when I go to sleep, then he gets really loud) I would give him a name but if he does happen to have an owner, I don't want to confuse the parrot with another name so for now I just say simple things such as "Hi!" if you have any tips for taking care of him for now? Thankies :D

~Forever Dreamie~
TricksterGabriel

Postby Startedraining » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:35 pm

TricksterGabriel wrote:I find it really upsetting when an animal passes on, especially parrots (and other bird types) I currently have a rescue parrot that I adopted from our local animal shelter that found him laying on the side of the road with some sort of bite in its wing (most likely attacked by a cat) They are unsure whether it has an owner so we are taking care of it until that is confirmed. The parrot is quite loud and happy most of the time (apart from when I go to sleep, then he gets really loud) I would give him a name but if he does happen to have an owner, I don't want to confuse the parrot with another name so for now I just say simple things such as "Hi!" if you have any tips for taking care of him for now? Thankies :D

Oh wow! What kind of bird is he? :>
I think you're taking care of him just fine. I would buy him lots of different toys but that's just me. I can't control myself. I have too many toys.
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Sorenovum » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Is there a type/breed of parrot you can recommend for anybody who lives in a suburban area? Preferably something that doesn't live to long.
Sorenovum

Postby Startedraining » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Emufasa wrote:Is there a type/breed of parrot you can recommend for anybody who lives in a suburban area? Preferably something that doesn't live to long.

Zebra finches are nice little birds, they live 5-9 years and up to 12 years in rare cases. They're pretty neat, I think, you can have a few of them at a time, but make sure you have the cage space for them if you do. I'd just get a pair if you wanted a smaller cage.

You can get just one but it will require more attention, talking and interacting, and stuff like that. ^w^

I'm sure Mira could give you more information about them, I've never owned them~
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Sneky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm

I am absolutely beside myself. My little budgie Kiwi is pretty sick, he's losing his feathers, throwing up his food and won't fly anymore. I brought him to the vet and they gave him some baytril, but they can't pinpoint what exactly is causing this. This happened about two months ago and the baytril made him get better for a while, but this time he seems worse. There's the possibility that he has a tumor in his crop, in which case there's nothing that can be done to heal him. We have to take him back in about a week for x-rays and bloodwork to really see what's going on, but I don't know if he'll make it. He's only 2, I was hoping he'd have a better life than this. I'm so worried, I don't know what to do other than let him rest and cry. I'm just hoping he'll make it long enough so that we can take x-rays, and we can go from there, whether it's a different type of treatment of letting him die in peace.

Hey, I'm a Musician/Artist
that's up for chatting about pretty much anything.

~I'm up at unusual hours, so sorry if I don't see
trades/messages 'till late at night.

~Regarding trades, I only really trade for wish list pets,
and I don't trade anything I don't have a double of.

~I used to be the.Marshmallow.Owl

~Shiny new chatacter thread (yum yum)

Trades: Open
PM's: Open
Sneky

Postby AuraDragoness » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm

I got multiple parrots (or at least in the parrot family)

A Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure named Cuddles
A Senegal Parrot naned Emmy (she has a birth defect in the form of a missing toenail on her left foot which can be seen in the pic)
A Sun Conure named Scooter (picture of her as a baby so she still has green flecks among her orange feathers)
A Dusky Conure named Rascal
A Lutino Cockatiel (the yellow ones) named Sunny
And a Gallah Cockatoo named Luna

I used to have a pearl-pied Lutino Cockatiel named Rainbow who died.

Sneky wrote:
I am absolutely beside myself. My little budgie Kiwi is pretty sick, he's losing his feathers, throwing up his food and won't fly anymore. I brought him to the vet and they gave him some baytril, but they can't pinpoint what exactly is causing this. This happened about two months ago and the baytril made him get better for a while, but this time he seems worse. There's the possibility that he has a tumor in his crop, in which case there's nothing that can be done to heal him. We have to take him back in about a week for x-rays and bloodwork to really see what's going on, but I don't know if he'll make it. He's only 2, I was hoping he'd have a better life than this. I'm so worried, I don't know what to do other than let him rest and cry. I'm just hoping he'll make it long enough so that we can take x-rays, and we can go from there, whether it's a different type of treatment of letting him die in peace.

Small parrots like budgies and Cockatiels are such fragile little things, especially when it comes to health. My little Rainbow, while he didn't die to a tumor or anything, died to lung collapse since we didn't realize that he'd had respiratory issues since birth.

I hope Kiwi gets to recover, it's sad when pets die but either way, he'll always be with you <3

Also, did he come from a store or breeder? While its not very often, some birds that I see come from pet stores have had some health problems compared to those from breeders, may just be where I live though.
Emufasa wrote:Is there a type/breed of parrot you can recommend for anybody who lives in a suburban area? Preferably something that doesn't live to long.

I'd recommend a Budgie if you're looking for a short lifespan parrot. Cockatiels are also nice and depending on the breed they can live long or short. These are rough estimates of pet 'tiel lifespans I found online:

Grey: 20-25 years
Lutino/Yellow: 10-15 years
White/Albino: 5-8 years
Naesala♥ImageImage♥Solveig
AuraDragoness

Postby Coyote » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Hey, everyone! I don't have any type of bird at the moment, but I'm a fan and I hope to add a feathery friend to my home soon. I just wanted to pop by and introduce myself. I'll probably be stalking for a bit.

@AuraDragoness: I loved looking at the pictures of your flock! They are all so cute and colorful! In particular, I think "Cuddles" and "Scooter" are some absolutely adorable names! <3

@Sneky: Oh my, that sounds devastating! Poor Kiwi. I wish there was something I could do help you two out in this difficult time. Hopefully your vet will be able to find a way to help Kiwi feel better.

@Startedraining: The way you talk about zebra finches, they sound like they have the potential to be a lot more hands-on-fun than their reputation as cage birds would lead one to believe. They sure are cute, either way! Too bad they aren't available in my region. ^^;

@All: Is there anyone here who has experience with both budgies and lovebirds? They seem fairly similar in behavior and care requirements, but it would be cool to hear a comparison from someone who has actually owned them. I'm strongly considering those two species as my first bird(s).
x《▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃》
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

▀▄▅
▀▄▅
▀▄▅
▀▄▅
▀▄▅

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
▅▄▀
▅▄▀