So uh, Hoards. Whats the point?

Post your Eldemore questions and site suggestions here.

So uh, Hoards. Whats the point?

Postby Foullily » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 am

I dont understand what the point of having a pet on a hoard list would be for. I understanding wanting to collect one of every pet, or of your favorite species, but collecting more then one of the same pet, I just don't get.

So I was wondering if anyone can explain to me the main reasoning, or their reasoning as to why it's worth setting up hoard creatures?
When starting a trade with me, please be aware I will not trade creatures I don't have more then one of. Pets I have duplicates of are in the groups Giveaways, and Trades or in other groups if specified in a Forum post~

I also prefer Wishlist pet trades over Hoard pet trades
Foullily

Re: So uh, Hoards. Whats the point?

Postby Archer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Hoarding isn't for everyone, but some users like to collect certain themes or certain pets, designs, or species that they particularly love! Sometimes it just happens, a pet will be released and you have extras but you just can't bring yourself to trade them and end up wanting more of them. It's definitely a personal preference, though, and there are some users who may never be interested in hoarding. For those that do hoard, the hoard list is a great way to keep your collection goals and hoard goals separate. ^^'

Personally, I hoard designs that I particularly loved or that perhaps have special meaning to me. I also hoard humming bumbles because they're one of my favourite species and because I'm a big fan of hummingbirds. :)

Hello! :)
If you have any questions
or concerns, or just
want to chat, feel free to
PM me.

Important Links and
Threads

Guides & Tutorials

To watch and protect.

Image Image Image
Archer
Global Moderator

Postby Silverhart » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm

People have different reasons for hoarding. But I think it boils down to two main things: people really like the design, and they really like a challenge.

For some people they have every pet on the site already, or at least every pet they want, so hoarding a certain outcome adds another extra goal, and keeps them open to trading. Other people simply aren't interested in collecting all pets, and only want to collect their favorites - they may focus on a particular lineart, or a particular outcome, or a certain theme. Other people sometimes hoard for story purposes. And some people just use the hoard list feature to tell traders what pets they're willing to trade for, even if they already have that outcome - it helps them keep track of their trading fodder.

It adds another layer to trading as well. Older members, especially ones that collect all outcomes, typically already have a lot of recent pets crossed off their wishlist, making it difficult for newer members to find what they might be willing to trade when looking for older pets. With a hoard list the newer member can see exactly what sort of pets an older member might be willing to trade for. Sometimes a newer member can trade a lot of recent pets for older ones or baubles, giving them a nice start on their collection, and helping the older member with their hoards.

So from an economic standpoint, it motivates people to keep trading even after they've collected all outcomes, and actually spreads more pets around as a result, especially from older collections, which is a very good thing. From a personal standpoint - it's just fun. XP Hope that helped explain some things! ^^
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Foullily » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 pm

I see, I think I understand the reasoning a bit more now ^^ thank you very much guys for explaining that to me~
When starting a trade with me, please be aware I will not trade creatures I don't have more then one of. Pets I have duplicates of are in the groups Giveaways, and Trades or in other groups if specified in a Forum post~

I also prefer Wishlist pet trades over Hoard pet trades
Foullily

Postby Snowwall » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 am

Well, for me a set is a male+female of each kind. Genders don't exist here, but I still try to build a Noah's Ark of pairs of a kind. Alas, wishlist doesn't account for that, while a hoard aim of two does :) It is still a vast pain in the posterior, though, "one of a kind" is much better supported, so I only do that rarely and for some beasts.
Hoard of 27 means "I like that sprite immensely and would love more of it, but won't go far out of my way". Personal preference indicator that a computer can sort of sort on =)
Snowwall

Postby AuraDragoness » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:02 pm

For me its for fun or because of personal reasons.

(ie: Canadian goose-themed Jakalopes because I have one irl)
Naesala♥ImageImage♥Solveig
AuraDragoness

Return to Site Help, Questions and Suggestions