Books!

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Re: Books!

Postby Silverhart » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:39 am

To answer your question Polly:
Sergil and Alec - Nightrunner Series
The best thing about their relationship - the author skipped over most of the mushy, awkward getting-used-to-this-new-romantic-part-of-our-relationship parts, and went straight to 'yeah, we're together now - let's go adventuring!' That was a very pleasant change. Startling at first, but pleasant. To be fair though - I'm only three books into the series. XP
Cimorene and Mendenbar - the Enchanted Forest Chronicles
Like with Sergil and Alec they learn to work together and become friends first, without too much attraction or romantic feelings distracting them, and then when they're out of danger they're both very... straightforward about it I guess. XP Plus I like that the Chronicles actually don't end with them getting together, as many series do. There are two books and a story that follow their wedding if I remember correctly, and they show that they can still work very together and apart.

Can I also say Cally and Fenrir? XP They're not from a book, it's true, but I don't have many romances I enjoy. There's some romances in books I like, but that aren't very well developed. Like I enjoyed the bit of attraction between Murtagh and Nasuada in the Inheritance Cycle (they were two of my favorite characters), but it went... nowhere. Others I might enjoy both the characters, but the romance parts made me roll my eyes, or I just wasn't overly invested in a romantic relationship between the two.

Apparently I'm not into very romancy romances. XP

Need to read these dragon books now, as well as 'Uprooted'. I've read 'His Dark Materials' - loved the themes, not so much the characters, but the books are interesting enough that I would be very interested in checking out this new series...
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Death&Ruin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:48 am

To be honest, I really, really don't like His Dark Materials. If there's one book series that I can't stand, than it's gotta be this one :<
I really enjoyed the Golden Compass, it was amazing, refreshing and the characters were really well written in my opinion. I loved the whole having your demon thing and that Lyra's world was kind of a parallel world to ours. Iorek was my favourite character out of the whole bunch, and thought that having a society of polar bears was really cool (I just really like fantasy with talking animals, I can't help it.) I remember borrowing The Golden Compass from my school's library when I was around 10 or 11 years old, but they unfortunately didn't have the other two books of the series. Two years ago, however, one of my friends gave me the whole trilogy as a gift, and I was super excited! I really wanted to re-read The Golden Compass and know what would happen next.

The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass , however, just disappointed me a lot. The Subtle Knife was okay, but The Amber Spyglass ... I think I've never been so dissapointed by a book before. I thought the whole Mulefa story arch was completely unnecessary and only served as filler (not to mention that I didn't like the creatures themselves at all, because, seriously, rectangular animals? How are they supposed to work? They simply don't make any sense), to make the whole story longer. And to be quite frank, I really disliked the ending, too. It was just too ridiculous for my taste. Overall, I felt like the author didn't know where he wanted to go with the story, and just wrote whatever, so that he'd have a trilogy in the end. The writing ended up being horrible with tons of plotholes and unanswered questions, the characters felt really shallow, and the romance between Lyra and Will just felt ... wrong. I don't have a problem with romance in novels, but I just never had the feeling that the two were interested in each other romantically, and it honestly wasn't written in a convincing way, either :/
Death&Ruin

Postby Sarill » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:25 pm

@Skee

I'm pretty sure they're considered YA, I think that's where I found the book. I could be wrong, but it reads like a YA book to me at least. I love it and Temeraire, but differently. Uprooted is good for a quick, fun read, and I really enjoy the magic system in it. Temeraire is a good series, with the character growth and development and reoccurring characters. I think I re-read the series when the last book came out, and I love learning about things like history through that fantasy lense. I also love Temeraire, the dragon. He is smart and ridiculous and amazing, and so much fun to watch grow.

I did read "His Dark Materials" years and years ago, back when I was in middle school I think? A long time ago. I remember liking them at the time, but not enough to go back and re-read them. I remember being annoyed that the main character's daemons stuck to the forms when they kissed, instead of being the personality. I also remember hearing later that it was very biblical, so meh.

What's the Age of Fire about? It sounds interesting.

@Silver-

I love the Enchanted Forest chronicles! It takes all of the great things about fairytales and makes them hilarious. I especially like the witch whose name I can't remember (something with a m like morgan? idk) And the whole mess with Killer the rabbit turned floating blue donkey was great XD

In terms of fairytale based books and werewolves, that reminds me of a book by Mercedes Lackey called "Beauty and the Werewolf." It's a combination of beauty and the beast, and werewolves, as you might expect. It also pulls in different fairytale tropes like the evil stepmother, and stuff like that. It winds up kind of predictable if you know beauty and the beast, but it's still quite good.

I don't mind romance in books, but love triangles annoy me. They are unnecessary and add drama that doesn't need to be there. Go fight a dragon or something, don't swoon over which person you want to date. Cute romances with communication, on the other hand, I definitely enjoy.
Deo <3
Sarill

Postby Silverhart » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:44 pm

I believe that was Morwen! Yes! She's the best. I want to be her when I grow up, but with tons of dogs instead of cats. XP

Ah - I need to reread that series like right now.

I personally don't like any romance that is unessicary, love triangle or no. To be honest... I don't even know if I've read a story that dedicated time to a love triangle. If I have it was a long time ago, or else so inconsequential that I didn't pay any attention to it. XP I have a tendency to block out romance in books if it feels forced, and just pretend it's not happening.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Silverhart

Postby Polly44 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Also, I recommend Age of Fire for fellow Dragon lovers! They are fantasy books told in first person from the dragon's point of view. They switch up in characters (6 total books, I believe), but there are only 3 main dragons that are followed. I remember I was hesitant at first cause it followed a different dragon than book 1 in book 2, but well worth it! :) Great world, awesome dragons!

Edit: okay... anyone ever read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials? (If you haven't, GO READ THEM! Classics!) Anyway, I JUST LEARNED THE MAN IS WRITING ANOTHER TRILOGY. AND the first is being released this October! O.O *hype intensifies*

@Skeseth-
Ooooo, now that is getting bought ASAP!! Sounds good. Thanks. :)
I have read them. I liked them at the time, but haven't re-read them, as i just am not that interested in them anymore. But i shall have to keep an eye on this new trilogy.

@Silverhart-
Never read either of those, so can't much comment, heh.
Now i don't actually like the Murtagh/Nasuda thing. But then i never liked them as characters either. And the romance was kinda.....pointless i felt, as not much actually happened. But then i can't decide if i like the whole Eragon/Arya thing either. xD
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Silverhart » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:55 pm

@Polly
Oh, it was completely pointless - I agree! XP To the point where I wonder why it was even alluded to in the first place. But the potential drama it might have caused excited me. Both characters had very different ideals, goals, and beliefs, and neither of them would be willing to give those up easily and I was deeply interested in how a relationship between them (romantic or otherwise) would go. But we got like... what? One or two scenes of them interacting at the end, and a few throw away lines.

I wonder if it maybe was because both characters were so singleminded on achieving their separate goals, and the author just didn't have enough time to give to the relationship in order to pull it off. If that is the case, then I'm glad he dropped it instead of forcing the characters to potentially go back on all they stood for just for a silly, forbidden romance subplot, but I do mourn the lost potential.

Urgh - don't get me started on Arya and Eragon. All I'll say is: Nope, nope, and double nope. Nope infinity.

But I dearly loved Nasuada - loved all her scenes. If 'Eldest' was just from her point of view I'd have loved it even more. I liked where Murtagh was going too, but after the first book we didn't see much of him. By far my absolute favorite character of the series was Jeod. XP Does anyone besides me remember Jeod? Brom's old merchant buddy from the old days? He was just... this normal old guy always trying to do the right thing, for his friends, his wife, and his allies. He had a comfortable life, but was willing to risk it all to help his cause, and to fight (albeit quietly) for his beliefs.
Actually, giving it thought Jeod and his wife Helen (I believe was her name), are my favorite couple in that series. And again - they only have like three scenes together, and I think one of them is Helen glaring at him over a dinner table? Weird that I remember that, but can't recall a single scene between Roran and Katrina. XD

Again, I like very unromantic romances it seems... XP
Hellooo!
Silverhart

Postby Polly44 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:17 pm

@Silverhart
I know right! Though i agree there, it could have had some interesting potential and the future consequences and the differences could have been so much more. Yup, we got so little really. And then too much Eragon/Arya half the time.

And in that case i can see why he dropped it, as i don't think there relationship could have gone anywhere significant in such a short time-frame.

Haha, lol! I do know the feeling.

I also like Murtagh, but after the first book he was kinda just an irritating bad guy who was just annoying until the last book, then he did important stuff and left. xD How unfulfilling. I do remember Jeod actually! He was Brom's old friend- i liked him! He was so.....normal in a world full of the abnormal. I think your correct with Helen actually. Oh, that dinner table scene was amusing. I never liked Roran/Katrina very much either. I likewise remember very little with those two.

@Skeseth-
I bought the first three Age Of Fire books and am nearly halfway through the first one and i am loving them so far!

Bump and edit!
I read that first Age Of Fire book and i thought it was excellent, however i haven't got round to reading the next one yet. I have started it, but other things have been taking my attention for a while now.
I also bought three books by "Robin Hobb" the other week. Two are on my bookshelf and i can't recall the names of them, nor see them to check. But the third was very good- it held my attention for three days, heh. It's called "Dragon Keeper" and yeah, bout Dragons! I am going to order the other three in that particular series ASAP as i really want to see where it goes.

I also just started reading "Runemarks" by "Joanne M Harris" but haven't got far enough to give an opinion yet.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Dragonfirespinner » Thu May 18, 2017 11:22 pm

The Lord of the Rings is the trilogy by which I judge other books. So far everything has come up a little short! When I have time to read, I usually go for easy reading, entertainment, so Mercedes Lackey, Sharon Shinn, and Robin McKinley are writers I enjoy. But what do I know - I read Dickens and Shakespeare for fun...
"Real names tell you the story of the things they belong to."
JRR Tolkien
Dragonfirespinner

Postby carmel » Tue May 23, 2017 3:59 am

Wow, threader is actually such an amazing book! If you're looking for a good read, please go check that out! It's kind of like Divergent x Harry Potter, but not really. Minus the wizardry of HP and fighting (etc.)
of the Divergent series.

Also, My Sister Rosa is a really good read for those of you that like psychopaths and mystery! It's very unique,
unlike other stories that feature psychopaths and twisted tales.

I'm also looking for some good book recommendations ^-^ I like any genre. Please let me know if you have any! I've been scrolling through pages of this thread! xD
carmel

Postby WhistPendragon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 am

Wow.

I just finished Adam, by Ted Dekker. Highly recommend to anyone over 13 (and without any major anxiety) who is willing to have their atheism/agnosticism challenged. It's a thriller-and, although I haven't read many, it was the most terrifying thing I've ever read. Serial killer, demons, etc. DON'T read it at night.

I will put a small warning label- it's written from a Christian worldview. No major political issues are tackled, but it might still read as offensive to some (you never know).

Another slight disclaimer. DON'T read it if you have major anxiety, are under or at the age of 13, or if you are easily offended by the Christian faith or worldviews that don't perfectly align with your own.
WhistPendragon

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment