Books!

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Re: Books!

Postby Sarill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Skeseth wrote:
Sarill wrote:Ooh, I've read six of crows and really enjoyed it! Kin recommended it to me, and also lent me the second book, which I liked as well. I couldn't really get into the author's first series though. It just didn't hold my attention that well.

I have also recently finished both Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom (got them as Xmas secret santa gifts). I thoroughly enjoyed Six of Crows. Crooked Kingdom was a good sequel but did not feel as exciting for me as the first. I guess the surprise had worn off. However, I have added the author's first trilogy onto my wishlist. Can you give me maybe reasons how it didn't hold your attention, Sarill? Is it switching personalities, slower paced, etc? I was looking forward to buying them sometime but I'm all for putting them on the backburner too lol

I don't remember the other series that well, which is probably an indication that it wasn't great. I do remember some things though, like how the main character was kind of bland, while also "the chosen one," which I tend to get bored of unless they do it well. I think I've just read too many "chosen one" books. I do also remember not liking the antagonist guy either. He seemed evil, and then there was a hint that there might be more beneath his mask, which would have been interesting, but he just turned out to be even more evil. It was disappointing, honestly. I think that the author has gotten better, and that it shows in the newer books.

On the topic of Six of Crows, there was another series that had a similar feel and is also really good. The first book is called "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch. It's definitely a more "adult" book, as you can tell from the name of the series which I'm not sure I'm allowed to put on here, but the series is very, very good. It is dark and gritty sometimes, and the story is told interestingly. Every few chapters (every other chapter? I can't remember, it's been a while) is essentially a flashback to when the main characters were younger, so you have two different stories going on at the same time. The main characters are thieves with elaborate plots, sort of like "Six of Crows," but it winds up much deeper and more involved. There's a little bit of magic, but it comes into play later. But overall, if you liked "Six of Crows" and want to try something more intense, give "The Lies of Locke Lamora" a try.
Deo <3
Sarill

Postby Startedraining » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm a bit late to reply but if someone tells me that 'no one reads books anymore' they're wrong and they'd have to pry books and the papery feeling out of my cold, dead, possibly ink stained hands.
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Skeseth » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Sarill wrote:
Skeseth wrote:
Sarill wrote:Ooh, I've read six of crows and really enjoyed it! Kin recommended it to me, and also lent me the second book, which I liked as well. I couldn't really get into the author's first series though. It just didn't hold my attention that well.

I have also recently finished both Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom (got them as Xmas secret santa gifts). I thoroughly enjoyed Six of Crows. Crooked Kingdom was a good sequel but did not feel as exciting for me as the first. I guess the surprise had worn off. However, I have added the author's first trilogy onto my wishlist. Can you give me maybe reasons how it didn't hold your attention, Sarill? Is it switching personalities, slower paced, etc? I was looking forward to buying them sometime but I'm all for putting them on the backburner too lol

I don't remember the other series that well, which is probably an indication that it wasn't great. I do remember some things though, like how the main character was kind of bland, while also "the chosen one," which I tend to get bored of unless they do it well. I think I've just read too many "chosen one" books. I do also remember not liking the antagonist guy either. He seemed evil, and then there was a hint that there might be more beneath his mask, which would have been interesting, but he just turned out to be even more evil. It was disappointing, honestly. I think that the author has gotten better, and that it shows in the newer books.

The reason I have trouble getting through the book I'm reading now is because the protagonist is totally the chosen one and savior and whatnot. >.< Shame, because I really enjoyed with how much of a jerk Kaz was as a protagonist and everyone else wasn't the healthiest person to be around. Six of Crows was definitely a refreshing change. Ah well. I'll definitely be putting it off. I'll be starting A Court of Thorns and Roses next.

And thanks for the recommendation! Gonna go put it on the good ol' Goodreads list. I need more adult books in my life. :D
Please PM if you have questions or need help
Skeseth
Global Moderator

Postby Sarill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Skee, I know the feeling about the adult books. YA books are a ton of fun, but sometimes you need something more solid that will take you some time to get through. I also like fantasy stuff, and so much of the YA fantasy is super heavily tied to romance, which gets frustrating after a while. And the chosen one stuff is everywhere. But yeah, that was my mini rant. It's a shame that I don't read more YA books, but the issue is that I'm too fast of a reader and I finish them within a few days, less if I really like them, and I can't justify spending money on a book that I read in a day. Unless it's a series that I've been following for a while, I splurge on those. I really need to get better at going to my library...
Deo <3
Sarill

Postby Silverhart » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:42 pm

OooOo! I'll have to check out this "Six of Crows" - pretty sure I've seen it floating around just haven't picked it up yet.

If I like it, I might have to give "The Lies of Locke Lamora" a chance as well. But... ahh - just so many books to read. XD

*high fives all the physical book lovers*

And I totally agree with you Sarill. I love children's, YA, and adult books, but my mood effects what I feel like reading. Lately I find I don't buy YA novels unless they've been recommended to me or are written by an author I love, since finding good YA seems harder and harder nowadays, unless maybe I've gotten pickier. XP The good stuff is out there though, just might take a little extra digging through all the paranormal romances and dystopias floating around (which to be fair can be written well, I just don't care for them).
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Polly44 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Death&Ruin wrote:I didn't have much time or energy for reading recently - I've been learning non-stop for my exams D: I did manage to finish A Natural History of Dragons and The Tropic of Serpents, though, and only have two chapters left before I finish the third installment, the Voyage of The Basilisk. I'm really enjoying this series; I love how the dragons are portrayed as normal animals who have adapted to a certain environment, and there's just a certain something about the writing that keeps me hooked, though I couldn't say what it is.

Did i hear Dragons?? That sounds interesting, would you recommend it??
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Death&Ruin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Polly44 wrote:
Death&Ruin wrote:I didn't have much time or energy for reading recently - I've been learning non-stop for my exams D: I did manage to finish A Natural History of Dragons and The Tropic of Serpents, though, and only have two chapters left before I finish the third installment, the Voyage of The Basilisk. I'm really enjoying this series; I love how the dragons are portrayed as normal animals who have adapted to a certain environment, and there's just a certain something about the writing that keeps me hooked, though I couldn't say what it is.

Did i hear Dragons?? That sounds interesting, would you recommend it??

Yes, definitely! Though only if you're interested in reading about the biology of dragons, how they behave, how they might be related, etc., and don't mind reading about political issues, because that's the main stuff that happens in the books. If you're looking more for books with a lot of action in them, then these books aren't for you. Don't expect awesome battles or stuff (though the third book actually has some awesome scenes, like riding sea serpents and fighting ships with them!)

They're really well written and I love the protagonist - as someone studying biology and interested in studying animals, I can relate to Isabella and her passion quite well. The story is set in a fantasy Victorian world, there are a lot of cultures displayed that are based on real world cultures, and I really like the characters. Also, like I said, the dragons are treated as animals, not as magical, all-mighty beings, and I had a lot of fun reading (and speculating) about why they look the way they do. I also just enjoy the world-building overall! It's also quite refreshing that the male best friend isn't a love interest at any time in the books, haha. I actually really enjoy the friendship between Isabella and Tom, it's one of my favourite things in the books, especially because the two start off bascially being worst enemies.
Death&Ruin

Postby Sarill » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:56 am

Death and Polly, if you guys want some dragon book recommendations, I have a few. Well, I have more than a few, but in terms of dragons as animals instead of magical beings, I have a handful.

One is a book that I finished fairly recently called "The Waking Fire" by Anthony Ryan. It's very interesting, although dragons aren't the main focus, they are a large part of the story. In the book, there are people who are "blood-blessed," aka people who can use "product," which is diluted dragon's blood. There are four colors, and each does different things. The problem is that the dragon stocks are weakening, and the blood is not as potent. There was a story of a powerful white dragon, and some characters go to find it in the hopes that its blood will be able to keep the Corporation (read: government) in power. There are three main characters who are all in different places, and the chapters switch between them. I wasn't sure at first, but I ended up really liking it. I have another book by the author on my shelf to read, so that's always a good sign. It's an adult book, in terms of reading level, because I don't want to assume ages/reading levels and accidentally recommend someone a book that's out of their range.

The other dragon book that comes to mind is a series that I'm almost certain has been discussed on here before. It's "The Temeraire Chronicles" by Naomi Novik, and those books are amazing. The first book is "His Majesty's Dragon," and it's what I call historical fantasy. Basically, it's the Napoleonic War, but with dragons as airships. It's told from the English perspective, and the main character is someone who was a naval captain until his ship captured a dragon egg and he wound up as a dragon captain instead. The series is beyond amazing, and it's completed, which is always nice.The style it's written in is interesting too, in that it has a touch of that time period's feel to it (I'm not a historian, don't quote me on that XD) The books are thick, but definitely worth the read in my opinion. Dragons are intelligent in this, at a similar level to humans, but there is no "because magic" in it. Everything is based in (pseudo)biology, and there are logs at the back of some of the books talking about the biology of different dragons. This is also an adult series.

Not based on dragons, but has anyone else read "Uprooted" by Naomi Novik? It's her YA book, and I love it to death. Well, there is a character who's mage name is "The Dragon" (if I'm remembering correctly), so I guess there is a little bit about dragons. It's YA romance and fantasy, but I'm happy with this romance (no love triangles). It also has the 'sad immortal' trope (he's not actually immortal, but close enough) that I love for some reason. I don't know why, but I tend to like powerful characters with extended lifespans that are sad, as long as something happens that makes them happy eventually. -shrug- It's probably not the weirdest trope that I like, especially when it comes to werewolves, but that's a story for an entirely different post.

Anyway, I hope that helps somewhat (:
Deo <3
Sarill

Postby Polly44 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:56 pm

@Death&Ruin
Hmmm, still sounds interesting despite the lack of battles, especially as it sounds like a considerably unusual take on Dragons in books. And it certainly is refreshing that the male best friend isn't a love interest at any point, as that's a frequent thing these days. I happen to love a good best friend romance, but i do get that it's a bit meh and not done well a lot of the time.

Speaking of which, what are everyones favourite romances in books?? I love a few, off the top of my head:
Jyn Erso & Cassian Andor- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Moist Von Lipwig & Adora Belle Dearheart- Terry Pratchet: Going Postal, Making Money and the third one i can't recall the name of.
Remus Lupin & Nymphadora Tonks- Harry Potter.
Aragorn & Arwen- Lord Of The Rings
Percy & Annabeth- Percy Jackson.

@Sarill
Oooo, that first one definately sounds interesting. I might just have to get that! The second sounds different. I can't decide if i like the idea of dragons as airships or not. But certainly sounds like something i might get at some point. Thanks! :D
especially when it comes to werewolves

Interest has again been spiked! Werewolves are one of my favourite creatures? ever! (Mostly because Remus Lupin from HP is one of my all time favourite characters ever) But i have to admit i don't have very many books involving them. Though my favourite, aside from HP would be Wereworld: Rise Of The Wolf (And the rest of the series.)
Have you read them? I thought they were fantastic! (Fantasy/Horror genre, though the first five weren't very horrifying, the last one was a tad disturbing in some areas. But an excellent series, especially if you like therianthropes- Humans who can shapeshift into animals, like werewolves, though it's by choice and not by the moon i believe, though i think the moon has some impact.)
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Skeseth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:26 pm

@Sarill I've read Uptooed! Funny that you recommended the Temeraire novels first, cause the reason I read Uprooted stems from my aggravation over the series final book. Naomi Novik was at the local Comic Con and at the time it was when she just released Uprooted (like that week). I just wanted Temeraire's final book! DX but she put off writing it because she had a writing itch to get Uprooted out first. When I listened to her and spoke to her, she was really excited and happy at how different Uprooted was. I was worried because of how historic and dense her Temeraire books can be (in characters, way too many to remember after so many years between books). Anyway, I do love it more than Temeraire (all but the first book that is). It's absolutely gorgeous. My question is... Is it really considered YA? I guess cause the protagonist is teenage in age is the only reason why? I don't remember it marketed to me as a YA, but then again I also just heard it directly from the author and publisher lol

Also, I recommend Age of Fire for fellow Dragon lovers! They are fantasy books told in first person from the dragon's point of view. They switch up in characters (6 total books, I believe), but there are only 3 main dragons that are followed. I remember I was hesitant at first cause it followed a different dragon than book 1 in book 2, but well worth it! :) Great world, awesome dragons!

Edit: okay... anyone ever read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials? (If you haven't, GO READ THEM! Classics!) Anyway, I JUST LEARNED THE MAN IS WRITING ANOTHER TRILOGY. AND the first is being released this October! O.O *hype intensifies*
Please PM if you have questions or need help
Skeseth
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment