Books!

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Re: Books!

Postby Bast-et » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:03 am

Yes, all the animorphs! I never did get to read them all, because our library only had the first twenty or so. Def need to find the rest and finish them to see if we get the slugs outta our heads XD
Who hasn't dreamed of being able to transform into any animal you want?

(I think of them every time I see a rerun of Young and Restless on the TV guide XD)
ImageShivali
Bast-et

Postby Commander Shepard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:28 am

I saw someone mentioned the Last Dragon Chronicles series :) I read up to the fourth book-- I haven't been able to get any of the others, and honestly, it went in... kind of a weird direction xD Not a /bad/ one, mind you; but I was kind of wanting to stick with my cute clay dragons :C (On that note: Would anyone here be interested in a roleplay semi-inspired by that? Maybe even include Rune dragons or something, they're little sculptures *instead of just drawings online xD* that come to life and... I dunno, maybe Nyarlathotep's trying to take over the world or something xD)

I'm also a very big fan of Jessica Day George-- if you ever want to see (sapient-sentient) dragon-human interaction as it should work, go read her books. It's the only time I've ever been able to stomach first-person perspective, and she has a real art for creating likable characters <3 I've also read the Mass Effect novels (... well, okay, 3 out of 4, but if you consider 4 canon, you need to go sit in the corner and think about what you've just said), and oh man they are awesome :D

Most recently though, I've been reading the Game of Thrones series. Definitely not kid-friendly, but man they are fantastic. ... though I've kinda lost the urge to read anything lately and am still stuck on A Dance with Dragons D:
(They/he/she)
Call me Shepard or Paine!

...art|| trade
.Shep || -
...You can fight
...like a krogan
run like a leopard
but you'll never be better
than Commander Shepard!

...by viddi
...Image
Commander Shepard

Postby Vlad » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:32 am

Oh wow, books.. -drools-

Ahem, anyway, anybody else read Eragon, or the Inheritance Cycle? -Fangirls- It's a great book for fantasy lovers!
he/him
signatures are for people that have motivation

Vlad

Postby Silverhart » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:10 am

I've never met someone who's read the Bloody Jack Adventures before either! Yeah, I love them - Jacky's always getting herself into the craziest situations. 'Under the Jolly Roger' is a really good one. I read up to 'Lorelei Lee' and I have the next one, but I haven't started it yet, because I have a long list of books to get through that I'm just as excited to read.

Animorphs I have not read. My childhood consisted of a lot of 'Hank the Cowdog' which was about a dog who lived on a ranch in Texas and was always up to some shenanigans. They were quite entertaining and funny. I still have like the first forty of them. They were my first big book series growing up. ^^ Ooh, and I used to read 'Guardians of Ga'hoole'. Those were always fun to read. But after the first series it just got kind of boring for me.

Commander Shepard wrote:

I saw someone mentioned the Last Dragon Chronicles series :) I read up to the fourth book-- I haven't been able to get any of the others, and honestly, it went in... kind of a weird direction xD Not a /bad/ one, mind you; but I was kind of wanting to stick with my cute clay dragons :C (On that note: Would anyone here be interested in a roleplay semi-inspired by that? Maybe even include Rune dragons or something, they're little sculptures *instead of just drawings online xD* that come to life and... I dunno, maybe Nyarlathotep's trying to take over the world or something xD)

I totally agree! They started off so good and just got so bizarre. They are just all over the place now. But I'm so invested in the characters now I can't stop reading them. Nor can I remember what the first book was even about at this point. XP As for a roleplay, I have not the read the first book in a long time, so I don't know if I'd join, but it's a great idea!

Urgh. 'Eragon'. I loved that book when it first came out. It was so great. I still have a ton of nostalgia for the first book. 'Eldest' wasn't half bad either, but as the series progressed it just got... I don't know. It lost some of it's charm. And then the last book - not to spoil it for anyone reading the series - but the last book was pretty awful. It felt unfinished, even rushed, and there were all these loose ends.
But the first book was good. I really enjoyed it. I personally find Eragon himself to be really pathetic to the point of it being silly. Like he blacks out every five chapters or so, which I find utterly hilarious for some reason. ^^ But the other characters are great. Except Arya - my gosh she annoys me so much. Even moreso in that dumb movie they made... with the feathers... oh, those feathers.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Commander Shepard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 am

I got halfway thorough Eragon (I dropped the first book at the 'diamond tomb' bit) and skimmed through Eldest until I saw Eragon's 'epic poem'.

I sold the books after that.

I just... ugh, talk about some possibly cool ideas, but awful execution << It almost turned me off the dragon rider genre entirely, and thank god for Game of Thrones or 'Arya' might have been a name that would annoy me forever xD

On the plus side, I was 15 when I read it and I had the immediate reaction of 'oh my god I can do better than this', and it helped me work on learning just /what/ made a bad story, so... guess I've got to give it that xD

Oooh, but Guardians of Ga'Hoole! I LOVE those books :D Followed them right up to the very end, including companion books; and I even somehow got ahold of a copy of book 9 like two months before it was meant to come out xD Thank you, Half-Price books :>
(They/he/she)
Call me Shepard or Paine!

...art|| trade
.Shep || -
...You can fight
...like a krogan
run like a leopard
but you'll never be better
than Commander Shepard!

...by viddi
...Image
Commander Shepard

Postby Sphye » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:17 pm

My favorite author is Vivian Vande Velde; for most of her books, the endings are very well done, tying everything up possibly in an unexpected way.

I also really like Lemony Snicket's writing style, although I felt the last book of A Series Of Unfortunate Events lacked a satisfactory finish.
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Azure23 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:03 pm

I love the Pendragon Series by D.J. MacHale. I read that series all through High School. <3

I also read Sarah Dessen books and the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. It's such a shame he died. ;-;
For Trade!

[Only missing one more page of WL! I have FR Kickstarter stuff and CS Rares/VR for Trade!

Also, I have a pretty much a full time job, so it might take a bit for me to respond!

I use they/them pronouns. Thank you!
]
[My DeviantArt]
Azure23

Postby gїzмо. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:19 pm

i love the keatyn chronicles by jillian dodd
    i also love any books by emily evans - she's a genius c:
gїzмо.

Postby Skyline » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Bast-et wrote:I'm a huge reader- love books. I'm currently flying through all of Mercedes Lackey's work ^^
I've read the Gregor the Overlander series; I actually own most of them, and they inspired me to try my hand at echolocation which I'm worthless at. I do have to say that overall I enjoyed them more than the hunger games series, although The Hunger Games remains my favorite individual piece by her.
Also read the Chronicles of Nick, but I have yet to read the newest one. Really funny and well written.
And Web of Avalon! Gosh, I haven't read those in forever! I have the whole collection in one book. Kinda wish I'd find a magic stone and portal weaving dragons XD But without all the stress and whatnot haha.
I've read ever single Tamora Pierce book, including the horrible Circle of Magic series. I don't know why, but those never clicked. My favorite of them was either Protector of the Small series, or the Immortal series. But Bloodhound and Mastiff are pretty cool as well.
Dragon Riders of Pern are the best! I found them in middle school, and pick up the next one any time I want an easy, enjoyable read. She does a really good job with her characters and creating the world, although the contractions in everyone's name gets confusing after a bit what with F'lar and F'nor and whatnot XD

Other books that I really enjoyed that I can remember at the moment are Timeline- Micheal Criton (So good), Sword of Truth series- Terry Goodkind (I reread the entire series every year. Not for kids, lots of gore/war/violence/mature themes. But wonderful fantasy world with great characters). The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand (Brilliant themes, great characters, long and thick. It takes some love to read XD) City of Ashes/Bones/Glass/etc- Cassandra Clare (funny, awesome characters, relatable despite angel/demon plot line) Anything by Orson Scott Card, except The Memory/Ships/etc of Earth series. That one's a tad bland.

I've finally found someone else who's read Mercedes Lackey! ;u;
Though I've only really read some of her stories based in Valdemar, her Elemental Masters, the Dragon Jouster's series and a couple of her stand alone works. I go back and reread my favorites of hers all the time. <3

Anyways, I usually stay in the fantasy/sci-fi genre when looking for books, but I sometimes do venture out of my bubble.
Some books I can name off the top of my head that I enjoyed were the Dragon and Theif series written by Timothy Zhan, a series that starts with a book called The Theif, the Secret Garden, Little Lord Fauntleroy, the Little Princess, Ella Enchanted, Fairest, Hidden Talents (still need to read the book after it!), the Chaos Walking series that starts with The Knife of Never Letting Go, I think nearly all of Temora Pierce's books, the Fablehaven series and the Lost Conspiracy. Being a student helper in my high school library helped me find a lot of these, plus more that I can't remember the names of at the moment. Best school year of my life. ;u;

EDIT:Oh, oh! I glanced over someone mentioning Animorphs here too. I read some of the books on and off in my elementary years, but it was a pretty cool concept, especially considering I love animals. c:
My custom is not for trade. No suggestions for it either please. Thank you.
Skyline

Postby Sphye » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Skyline wrote:
Bast-et wrote:I'm a huge reader- love books. I'm currently flying through all of Mercedes Lackey's work ^^
I've read the Gregor the Overlander series; I actually own most of them, and they inspired me to try my hand at echolocation which I'm worthless at. I do have to say that overall I enjoyed them more than the hunger games series, although The Hunger Games remains my favorite individual piece by her.
Also read the Chronicles of Nick, but I have yet to read the newest one. Really funny and well written.
And Web of Avalon! Gosh, I haven't read those in forever! I have the whole collection in one book. Kinda wish I'd find a magic stone and portal weaving dragons XD But without all the stress and whatnot haha.
I've read ever single Tamora Pierce book, including the horrible Circle of Magic series. I don't know why, but those never clicked. My favorite of them was either Protector of the Small series, or the Immortal series. But Bloodhound and Mastiff are pretty cool as well.
Dragon Riders of Pern are the best! I found them in middle school, and pick up the next one any time I want an easy, enjoyable read. She does a really good job with her characters and creating the world, although the contractions in everyone's name gets confusing after a bit what with F'lar and F'nor and whatnot XD

Other books that I really enjoyed that I can remember at the moment are Timeline- Micheal Criton (So good), Sword of Truth series- Terry Goodkind (I reread the entire series every year. Not for kids, lots of gore/war/violence/mature themes. But wonderful fantasy world with great characters). The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand (Brilliant themes, great characters, long and thick. It takes some love to read XD) City of Ashes/Bones/Glass/etc- Cassandra Clare (funny, awesome characters, relatable despite angel/demon plot line) Anything by Orson Scott Card, except The Memory/Ships/etc of Earth series. That one's a tad bland.

I've finally found someone else who's read Mercedes Lackey! ;u;
Though I've only really read some of her stories based in Valdemar, her Elemental Masters, the Dragon Jouster's series and a couple of her stand alone works. I go back and reread my favorites of hers all the time. <3

Anyways, I usually stay in the fantasy/sci-fi genre when looking for books, but I sometimes do venture out of my bubble.
Some books I can name off the top of my head that I enjoyed were the Dragon and Theif series written by Timothy Zhan, a series that starts with a book called The Theif, the Secret Garden, Little Lord Fauntleroy, the Little Princess, Ella Enchanted, Fairest, Hidden Talents (still need to read the book after it!), the Chaos Walking series that starts with The Knife of Never Letting Go, I think nearly all of Temora Pierce's books, the Fablehaven series and the Lost Conspiracy. Being a student helper in my high school library helped me find a lot of these, plus more that I can't remember the names of at the moment. Best school year of my life. ;u;

EDIT:Oh, oh! I glanced over someone mentioning Animorphs here too. I read some of the books on and off in my elementary years, but it was a pretty cool concept, especially considering I love animals. c:

Aah, someone else who has read Fablehaven^^ I really loved how well everything progressed from book to book. I intend to read another book/series(?) by the same author soon. It's called Beyonders, and if anyone else has already read it I'd love to hear if it's good.

On another note, has anyone read Bones of Faerie, or the other two books in the trilogy, Faerie Winter and Faerie After?
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment