Books!

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Re: Books!

Postby Silverhart » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:57 am

Skeseth wrote:
Silver: I think I stopped liking Bloody Jack quite as much after Lorelei Lee. I know another is coming out in a month or two and I have yet to even touch the last one! Though I did buy it... I think. It's sitting somewhere. How about them Phantom books? ;)

Now there's a big love of mine, Phantom of the Opera and my personal favorite fan fiction by Susan Kay, Phantom. The rest are usually awful, but I still try to read anything Phantom or Phantom-related.

Oh yes! 'Phantom of the Opera' is the best! :D I definitely have to reread it one day. I have not read anything else by Gaston Leroux (but I did see a movie that was based on his story 'Chéri-Bibi' called 'The Phantom of Paris' - it has nothing to do with 'Phantom of the Opera' though). I'll have to check out that fanfiction. I haven't bothered looking up any Phantom fanfiction - it seems like there would be a lot of really bad lovey-dovey fanfiction written about it, and I don't want to read that. XP

Actually I'm excited to read the next Bloody Jack book I have, 'Mark of the Golden Dragon', just haven't gotten around to it. 'Lorelei Lee' was not my favorite though, so I can understand that.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Skeseth » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 am

Silverhart wrote:
Skeseth wrote:
Silver: I think I stopped liking Bloody Jack quite as much after Lorelei Lee. I know another is coming out in a month or two and I have yet to even touch the last one! Though I did buy it... I think. It's sitting somewhere. How about them Phantom books? ;)

Now there's a big love of mine, Phantom of the Opera and my personal favorite fan fiction by Susan Kay, Phantom. The rest are usually awful, but I still try to read anything Phantom or Phantom-related.

Oh yes! 'Phantom of the Opera' is the best! :D I definitely have to reread it one day. I have not read anything else by Gaston Leroux (but I did see a movie that was based on his story 'Chéri-Bibi' called 'The Phantom of Paris' - it has nothing to do with 'Phantom of the Opera' though). I'll have to check out that fanfiction. I haven't bothered looking up any Phantom fanfiction - it seems like there would be a lot of really bad lovey-dovey fanfiction written about it, and I don't want to read that. XP

Actually I'm excited to read the next Bloody Jack book I have, 'Mark of the Golden Dragon', just haven't gotten around to it. 'Lorelei Lee' was not my favorite though, so I can understand that.

Phantom by Susan Kay may be a bit hard to find... I remember I could never find it in bookstores but then later found it reprinted on Amazon. By then I had already gotten it off of ebay. XD I sent my first copy to someone I knew in Canada, and bought myself a hardcover. I love Leroux's book, but something about Kay's just makes you more attached to the Phantom. Goes through his life from birth to end, how he meets the Persian, etc. All in different viewpoints. I always recommend it! Not really lovey-dovey, I think, but I always end up re-reading the first half of the book and then forget it when it comes down to Christine's portions. But it is better than any of the others out there :3
Please PM if you have questions or need help
Skeseth
Global Moderator

Postby Silverhart » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 am

Skeseth wrote:Phantom by Susan Kay may be a bit hard to find... I remember I could never find it in bookstores but then later found it reprinted on Amazon. By then I had already gotten it off of ebay. XD I sent my first copy to someone I knew in Canada, and bought myself a hardcover. I love Leroux's book, but something about Kay's just makes you more attached to the Phantom. Goes through his life from birth to end, how he meets the Persian, etc. All in different viewpoints. I always recommend it! Not really lovey-dovey, I think, but I always end up re-reading the first half of the book and then forget it when it comes down to Christine's portions. But it is better than any of the others out there :3

That sounds very interesting! Okay, it's going on my list of books to get, and I'll keep an eye out for it. It looks like it is on Amazon, so when I run out of books to read I'll have to order it. As it is, my house is full of books waiting to be read, so I want to get through those before I go getting a ton more. XD
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Metallic Dragon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Skyline wrote:
Metallic Dragon wrote:Some of my favorites are the Door Within Trilogy and the Spider King Trilogy both by Wayne Thomas Batson

I looked both of them up and they seem pretty interesting. I'll have to check 'em out. c: Where did you find them in the first place?

I picked them up in my highschool library. Well, at least the Spider King ones. The Door Within Trilogy came home with my dad one day. He gave the first one to my older sister for her birthday and I ended up hunting down the other two soon after. They're really really good!
Metallic Dragon

Postby Sarill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:53 pm

I'm still re-reading the last dragon chronicles, just starting on the fourth. There are quite good, which is always a pleasant surprise to find when you go back and read a book from your childhood. They do get very different, but in an interesting way. I'm having an urge to make clay dragons now though. Lots and lots of clay dragons. The only problem is that I don't have any design ideas >< And I just got the new Neil Gaiman book which I am very excited to read! This is kind of belated, but yeah, Skee, I love the Pern books. I went through a time where I read all of them that I could find, and so have read most of them up to about the point where Todd McCaffery started co-writing.

I'm reading Crime and Punishment for school right now, but we get to read the Night Circus next, which has me really excited. I actually read that book before and it is quite good. I would definitely recommended it to anyone, although I'm not sure of the content. I found it in the fiction section of Barns and Noble (it is a fantasy book, not realistic fiction) for a gauge of difficultly and appropriateness.
Deo <3
Sarill

Re: FABLEHAVEN /dies

Postby Distortionist » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Glassea wrote:
@ sphie
oh. my. gosh.
fablehaven & the candy shop war = epicness.
brandon mull for the win.

@ diem
why yes, yes i do.

YESYESYES BRANDON MULL FOREVER <333
***Offering FR treasure/stuff, artwork, or older trades for this month's outcomes, token, and event pets***
Birthday Nov. 30

Watch Me Grow! wrote:ImageImage
Trading Guidelines wrote:
Some things you should know before you hit trade C:
- Mass accumulating ligers is my ultimate goal -
- Nothing I only have one of is for trade unless overpay -
- Baubles are appreciated, but not needed -
Distortionist

Postby queen of leopards » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:50 pm

I recently read city of ember (because i am lazy and didn't read it sooner). So, any fans?
queen of leopards

Postby SkieNight » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 pm

queen of leopards wrote:I recently read city of ember (because i am lazy and didn't read it sooner). So, any fans?

Oh I really liked that book. I only read the first one, but it was really, really good. What did you think about it?

Hiding under sheets with the news on repeat
'Cause the screams and cries are hard to delete
While I'm trying to sleep, oh how could I sleep?
Laying in bed, trying to empty my head
All these acts of violence ripping this world to shreds

Wish there were words to say to make a change
Oh, the words to sing to end this suffering

Let's start a revolution where we all stand as one
Cause we need to make a change for a new day
We need to be the generation that’ll awaken a solution
Cause we need to make a change
Make a change, make a change for a new day

~MisterWives

______________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SkieNight

Postby queen of leopards » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:49 am

SkieNight wrote:
queen of leopards wrote:I recently read city of ember (because i am lazy and didn't read it sooner). So, any fans?

Oh I really liked that book. I only read the first one, but it was really, really good. What did you think about it?

I enjoyed it a lot. I kind of want to read the second one, but the same person that recommended it to me said that the second and third books weren't nearly as good as the first one, so maybe I will and maybe I won't.
queen of leopards

Postby SkieNight » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I remeber starting to read the seconed one but for some reason I never finished it...

Hiding under sheets with the news on repeat
'Cause the screams and cries are hard to delete
Laying in bed, trying to empty my head
All these acts of violence ripping this world to shreds

Wish there were words to say to make a change
Oh, the words to sing to end this suffering

Let's start a revolution where we all stand as one
Cause we need to make a change for a new day
We need to be the generation that’ll awaken a solution
Cause we need to make a change
Make a change, make a change for a new day

~MisterWives

______________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SkieNight

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment