Authors?

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Re: Authors?

Postby Watch Crow » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:35 pm

I am going to post the first chapter of my story soon ^^
ImageLovely
Watch Crow

Postby FreddyCenobite » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:29 pm

I'm currently writing about 3 or 4 stories, but I'm mostly focusing on a Christmas themed story that came to me in a dream. I don't want to really say the plot because I'm paranoid someone would steal my idea (not on this site, but more in general; I have Schizoaffective disorder so paranoia comes pretty naturally ^^')

All I'll say is it involves Santa and his town, enemies, and family. It's either gonna be teen fiction or a children's book, but more than likely a mix of the two.
FreddyCenobite

Postby Silverhart » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Okay - random question, I know, but I'm not sure where else to ask it.

Without consulting a dictionary (this is very important to my question, I will explain why below), what do you think the word 'bemuse' means?

I ask, because I see it used more and more in places where it can have a different meaning then given by the dictionary, by both causal writers, and published authors. Even if you are completely unfamiliar with the word, I'd love to hear your personal unbiased definition. So post here with what you think it means, or the definition you're most familiar with, before checking your dictionary. I'll post mine as well. I'm really curious as to what everyone thinks, because it's a fantastic word that I love to use, and people seem to use it in completely different ways - some of which are not considered 'correct' by a standard dictionary definition, but which are accepted as correct anyway, and I just think that's so cool.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Startedraining » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Since amuse means entertain or to cause entertainment (rip my English) I would think bemuse would be something like puzzlement or confusion. Kinda like bewilder and amuse smushed together
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Scyanatha » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:19 pm

Silverhart wrote:Okay - random question, I know, but I'm not sure where else to ask it.

Without consulting a dictionary (this is very important to my question, I will explain why below), what do you think the word 'bemuse' means?
-snip-

I've always thought that "bemused" referred to something that holds the middle between "amused", "confused" and "intrigued".
I also think it could refer to feeling inspired or being struck with inspiration; but I am more in favor of the first meaning I described.
ImageImage
♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥
ImageImage
♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥
ImageImage

Scyanatha

Postby Sphye » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Silverhart wrote:Okay - random question, I know, but I'm not sure where else to ask it.

I ask, because I see it used more and more in places where it can have a different meaning then given by the dictionary, by both causal writers, and published authors. Even if you are completely unfamiliar with the word, I'd love to hear your personal unbiased definition. So post here with what you think it means, or the definition you're most familiar with, before checking your dictionary. I'll post mine as well. I'm really curious as to what everyone thinks, because it's a fantastic word that I love to use, and people seem to use it in completely different ways - some of which are not considered 'correct' by a standard dictionary definition, but which are accepted as correct anyway, and I just think that's so cool.

It makes me think of a variant of "amuse"/"amused", or at least something with a similar meaning and shared root. In roleplaying I tend to use it similarly to those words, though I couldn't describe exactly what the distinction is. "An amused glance" and "a bemused glance" both sound fairly proper in my mind, and I would read them as having the same or nearly the same meaning. I may merely be mixing the words up for their similar sounds, though.

Edit: After looking it up, I was more than a bit off the mark. Whoops. ^^'
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Silverhart » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:56 pm

Interesting!

My own definition is similar to Startedraining's and Scyanatha's. I always thought 'bemusement' was like pleasant thoughtfulness or puzzlement. For example, I am bemused by how the word 'bemuse' seems to have many various meanings, such as to 'confuse and bewilder', and 'to amuse', and 'to think deeply on'.

I do not like the dictionary's simple definition of 'to confuse', because I would never use the word as a straight synonym of 'confused'. I always though 'to bemuse' was to make think, but pleasantly, like you would when solving a puzzle, or having a discussion and someone says something that gives you pause and you have to think.

Anyway, the reason I brought this up was on account of this book I'm reading which seems to have a lot of people looking and smilingly "bemusingly" at each other, and it felt more like the author meant 'amuse' rather then 'bemuse' in many cases. And I've come across that many times before, and I found it interesting that despite many people thinking it means 'amusement', it still doesn't have that listed as a definition in the dictionary. I'm curious if that will change someday, or if it may even evolve to actually mean a combination of the two (which I would prefer, since other then 'bemuse', I can't think of a word that means 'amusing puzzlement' by itself).

Ah, I just love language - it's so crazy how it evolves. Apparently 'amuse' and 'bemuse' used to both mean 'to puzzle'. And now 'amuse' means something else, and 'bemuse' might be evolving to mean the same thing. XD I find this both amusing and bemusing. X3
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Silverhart

Postby Startedraining » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:20 pm

i think if two people are smiling bemusingly at each other it seems good enough to describe something like
"Trying to figure each other out" or "in an awkward situation"
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Silverhart » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Startedraining wrote:
i think if two people are smiling bemusingly at each other it seems good enough to describe something like
"Trying to figure each other out" or "in an awkward situation"

It could be, but in this particular book it occurred whenever someone said something amusing, and I don't think anyone was puzzled by it. XD To be honest - the book itself is not well written, from a technical standpoint. It's really repetitive in the word choice and sentence structure - but I'm invested enough in the characters that I figure it's worth finishing.
Hellooo!
Silverhart

Postby Startedraining » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:38 pm

You should finish. Is it published or are you writing it?
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

to be loved in return