harry potter!!!!

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Re: Harry Potter - Welcome to Hogwarts

Postby scmarshtacky » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:24 am

So, I'm currently enrolled in a college class that studies Harry Potter. Since I'm revisiting all of the books and seeing them in a new light, I figured I go ahead and join here so I can rant about cool things I discover as the class goes on. ;)

Username: scmarshtacky
Favourite character: Sirius Black
Books you've read: All, though it's been a while since I've read most of them. Currently re-reading Goblet of Fire.
Your house: Ravenclaw

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am your friendly Eld moderator,
here to assist all Eldemorians with
their general needs. Feel free to
send me a message at any time
to ask questions or chat. ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

Postby Patch » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:26 am

Yay! ^^

I can't wait to talk Potter with you, Tacky! I've read the books a bunch of times through, but I've also heard them all on audio throughout the year for, like, 8 years? Gah! I just love them so much, and Jim Dale does an outstanding job at reading and doing the characters' voices. (:
Wanna keep in touch with me? You can find me writing and derping around on Advanced Scribes:
[ Click here to view profile. ]
(If you like role playing or just writing overall, I recommend checking it out. ♥)
Patch

Postby carmel » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:02 am

Patch wrote:
I jst thought I'd post in case anyone didn't know... Alan Rickman died this morning battling cancer.

RIP

</3

"Always."

/*

I remember an interview with him in it, where Rupert did a really "scary" drawing of him and Alan wanted to keep him
He's such a beautiful man, he'll be with us in spirit!
carmel

Postby scmarshtacky » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:54 pm

Patch wrote:
    Yay! ^^

I can't wait to talk Potter with you, Tacky! I've read the books a bunch of times through, but I've also heard them all on audio throughout the year for, like, 8 years? Gah! I just love them so much, and Jim Dale does an outstanding job at reading and doing the characters' voices. (:

I've listened to parts of the audio book for Sorcerer's Stone, and I agree. Jim Dale does an amazing job with the audio book. I think there were points with a couple of characters (I seem to remember Hagrid being one) that he sounds exactly like the actor in the films. XD

Oh oh oh, we learned a really cool thing in Harry Potter class the other day. Hopefully I can remember all of the little bits and pieces because I don't have my notes on me at the moment.
So, we all know that the concept of alchemy is fairly present in the books yes?

Well, the alchemist's goal was to be able to turn lead into gold. To do this, they tried to use sulfur and mercury. These two reagents are also known as the "unlikely/quarreling couple."

So, take this and assume Harry is the "lead" that is being transformed into the gold. What quarrelling couple is going to transform him? Ron and Hermione right? It sounds like a little bit of a stretch at first but bear with me. Sulfur (although yellow) is through to represent fire in alchemical terms (mercury is described more like water) and is also thought to have a more masculine quality. Sulfur thus, represents Ron. In contrast, Mercury has more of a calm, cool, collected, feminine quality.

In addition, Mercury of Roman mythology is the messenger god. Hermes is the equivalent in Greek mythology. The female form of Hermes is "Hermione." Also, lets look at initials for a moment. Hermione Granger. HG. Hg > the chemical symbol for mercury. Interesting theory isn't it? But there's more.

In the process of changing lead to gold, you go through three major steps (that I hope I can spell correctly.)
Nigredo (the black stage) > Albedo (the white stage) > Rubedo (the red stage)

From Wikipedia:
      The nigredo of the process of individuation on the other hand is a subjectively experienced process brought about by the subject's painful, growing awareness of his shadow aspects'. It could be described as a moment of maximum despair, that is a prerequisite to personal development. As individuation unfolds, so 'confrontation with the shadow produces at first a dead balance, a standstill that hampers moral decisions and makes convictions ineffective or even impossible

If you had to pick a book that describes Harry like that, which would you pick? Order of the Phoenix when he has a kind of identity crisis perhaps?

Let's assume Order of the Phoenix. At the end of the book, Sirius Black dies. The black stage is over and Harry moves onto the white stage. The white stage is sort of a purification point. In the Half-Blood Prince, Harry dips his head a lot into the pensive, which you can almost think of as an act of purification. At the end of Half-Blood Prince, Albus dies. Albus means white in Latin. The white stage is over.

In the Deathly Hallows, there is a point where we think Hagrid dies. Rubeus, red. (We've already talked at this point that Rowling is very, very good at misdirection.) Hagrid lives though, hooray! Unfortunately, Fred is the one that ends up dying. A red haired individual with 'red' actually in his name. The red stage is over and the process is complete.

Now, you can choose to believe this or not, but just think about it cause it's cool. XP

I am your friendly Eld moderator,
here to assist all Eldemorians with
their general needs. Feel free to
send me a message at any time
to ask questions or chat. ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

Postby shieldmaiden333 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:55 am

shieldmaiden333
Favourite character: Fred and George They totally count as one person!
Books you've read: 1-7 and some of the creatures guide ;)
Your house: Not sure yet I can't wait to find out! and I'll edit this when I do.
530/800 Baubles

Awesome Lucky Pets from Dec18
ImageImage
Chickensmoothie User: Hunith
shieldmaiden333

Postby Midnight » Wed May 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Username Midnight
Favourite character Ron, Sirius Or I don't know, I love All of them (apart from Umbridge)
Books you've read All of the seven, not any of the additional ones yet, though they are definetly on my to read list
Your house Gryffindor
Thank you so much for this beauty <3

For a dreamer, Night is the only time of day.
Midnight

Postby Scyanatha » Mon May 09, 2016 12:00 pm

Might as well... xD

Username: Scyanatha
Favourite character: Sirius Black, with Severus Snape close second.
Books you've read: 1-7 + the Tales of Beedle the Bard - but it's been a while since I last read them.
Your house: Ravenclaw
(at least according to Pottermore; I've also been sorted in Gryffindor before)
ImageImage
♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥
ImageImage
♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥
ImageImage

Scyanatha

Postby Wolverine » Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 am

UsernameWolverine
Favourite character Hermione or Sirius
Books you've read All of 'em (so far)
Your house Gryffindor (according to Pottermore)

A Game of Thrones wrote:What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy. -George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Find me on other sites:
Tumblr(14+) -Deviantart -Chickensmoothie
I'm currently aiming at a complete Eld collection. Any help (i.e.: Offsite trades) is greatly appreciated!
Wolverine

Postby hiraeth. » Sat May 14, 2016 8:03 pm

Username;; hiraeth.
Favorite character;; Luna Lovegood
Books you've read;; All of them. <3
Your house;; Hufflepuff!

❝there will always be people who will
hate us because of nothing,
and for nothing.❞
── hiraeth. ──
hiraeth.