WolfQuest

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

WolfQuest

Postby Silverhart » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Oh gosh, does anyone else remember good ol' WolfQuest? XD

I remember looking forward to this game before it was even released, that's how old I am. XD If you don't know WolfQuest was an educational 3D wildlife simulation game about wolf ecology in Yellowstone, wherein you play as a young grey wolf and learn to hunt, find a mate and raise pups. It was originally available as a free download (which is still available on the site), but the funding for the project ran out and future updates to the game were canceled.

But that's not where the story ends of course! They have since gone ahead with the plan to release an updated version of WolfQuest for Windows and Mac (and eventually iPad), for the price of $10. You can learn more and purchase the new game (or download the old free version) at the site: http://www.wolfquest.org/index.php

I'm sure a lot of you, like me, have rediscovered this wonderful old game and are enjoying roaming around the beautiful landscapes. I've already been sucked into it all over again. XD I'm sure I'll grow bored of it soon enough - as I do with many things, but for a game that is fairly short and simple there is still many hours of enjoyment to be had with it - at least for someone like me, who could easily roam all day and night around the maps (and I must unlock all the new achievements!) XD

So anyone else play the game? Want to share your wolves' stories, or any fun challenges you're doing? Or gush over adorable puppies and silly screenshots? ^^ Or maybe you want to learn more about the game. If so, post here! I'd love to talk about the game with others who enjoy it.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Re: WolfQuest

Postby Banshie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:11 am

Gahhhh, I'm so happy you brought this up! I loved that game to bits!
I remember back a loooong time ago that someone was making a reboot of sorts but they weren't a part of the team that originally made the game and not were they employed by the website you get the old version from, I haven't played WolfQuest and therefore haven't heard a bit of news about the game in well over two years now, so I guess I'm a bit behind.

Oh but I loved that game so much, I'm supposed to be getting a computer June 9th and I just knew one of the first things I was going to do was get WolfQuest and rediscover that!
I was majorly obsessed with wolves when I was young, I cannot even begin to tell how how infatuated I was with them, and there is no other game like wolf quest out there, some are close but nothing struck my fancy just like WolfQuest, I'm glad to hear new things are happening with it!
Banshie

Postby Silverhart » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Yay! More WolfQuest fans! ^^ I've been having lots of fun playing through it again. I love the new difficulty settings of the game. I'm working my way up to trying to complete the Pup Mission on the Bring It On! setting.

EDIT:

Alright I need some advice on this darn Golden Eagle, because I just cannot figure out how to beat it! Does anyone know what I'm suppose to do when it shows up? I've tried watching the puppies after the game shows me it's attacking to see when it shows up, but my puppy just drops dead for no reason, no eagle in sight while I'm standing right next to it. I've tried picking up the puppy it's going after but the pup just dies instantly as soon as I do.

I have no idea what I'm suppose to be doing to prevent these eagles from taking a puppy. Is it a glitch or am I doing something wrong? Because there's no way I can get any pups to the rendezvous point if every time an eagle shows up I can't do anything to prevent a puppy from dying.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Silverhart

Postby Polly44 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Ahhhhhhhh! More WolfQuest fans. I love this game so much I paid full price the second it was released on Steam. When I found out it had been greenlit on Steam I practically fanboyed and could not stop freaking out over it. I played it years ago when I downloaded the old version, then I found out it had been updated with a paid version, however i can't buy stuff like that, hence the freaking out on Steam. But then I bought a Cougar game that is very similar and got rather distracted by that and then my laptop decided to stop functioning, so I can't play ANYTHING now and it's driving me insane. I miss my laptop so much.

Eagles are a pain in the rear. I can't figure out how to kill them, so I lost at least one pup on my first play-through when I bought it. Actually I might have drowned two others and only got one to the rendezvous point. I tried so many times to get them over the river, but they just kept dying!

But yeah. I love animal simulation games and I would kill for a decent horse one. There is also a Dragon one I am keeping an eye on, on Steam. But I can't justify it's price yet.....that and I am too tight to buy most things full price and so I wait for sales.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Silverhart » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Sorry to hear it's not working for you Polly44!

But Holy Dolos, has anyone else seen the new update?! It's grogeous! I've just been running all over Amethyst Mountain nonstop geeking out over all the vegetation and birdsong and ravens - it's fantastic! XD Haven't spotted a cougar or fox yet, but I'm still looking! There's so many extra little details too - like birds flying from sagebrush when you run past, and flies gathering over a carcass after some time has past, ravens flying not just over carcasses but the actual elk herd - ah! They're such wonderful little touches, and I love it! XP

And the Eagle was apparently fixed so yay!

It's nice that multiplayer now has text chat too, that will make it a lot easier. I might check that out again soon.
Hellooo!
Silverhart

Postby Akronite » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 pm

Ohmygod WolfQuest! I remember spending hours on that game when I was younger, i'm pretty sure I still have my saves somewhere...

Would you say that the new release is worth buying? Is it drastically different or have there just been minor changes?
Akronite

Postby Silverhart » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Akronite wrote:
Ohmygod WolfQuest! I remember spending hours on that game when I was younger, i'm pretty sure I still have my saves somewhere...

Would you say that the new release is worth buying? Is it drastically different or have there just been minor changes?

There's a thread about just that over on the WolfQuest website, here! If you want to browse through that to see different opinions, although in general WolfQuest fans seem to be saying 'Yes, it is.'

Personally, I think it depends entirely on the type of games you enjoy. The gameplay is basically the exact same. You explore Amethyst Mountain, find a mate, hunt elk, and then go to Slough Creek, raise pups, and then take them to the Summer Hunting Grounds. And that's it - nothing really new in that regard other then bug fixes. If you're the type of person who can play a game like WolfQuest over and over again and aren't bored by just hunting elk and exploring and raising pups, then I'd say it's worth it. If you're the type of person who'll only like playing through it once or twice, then maybe it isn't worth it to you.

Most of the changes don't effect the gameplay, but do a lot for the overall ambiance. Their latest updates include foxes, cougars, ravens that feed on carcasses (and you can chase them off which I really enjoy! XD), various bird song that change depending on the area, and more vegetation. 2.7 also just looks better. Then you also have the whole new area 'Lost River' to explore and hunt in, and you can customize your wolf a bit more. Also the nice thing about the paid version is the potential for even more updates in the future.

But if none of those things really matter to you, then it might not be worth it for you. For me at least, I felt it was worth the price.

If you're still on the fence the old game without any of the updates is still available on their site for free, and you can also download the demo of the new version there which only has the Amethyst Mountain map, and you can compare the two. ^^
Hellooo!
Silverhart

Postby Akronite » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:31 am

I downloaded the demo yesterday, and I must say, I am impressed! I love the extra detail they've added to the game, and the new customization options are pretty much everything 12 year-old me dreamed of, the nostalgia is real.

I'll definitely be buying a copy of the full game when I actually have some time in which to be able to play it, thanks so much for answering my questions, I hadn't seen the thread on the website >.<
Akronite

Postby Silvereil » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:50 pm

Ah, WolfQuest! I played it a few years back and absolutely loved it. Stuff came up and then my laptop broke, so I stopped playing it for quite a while.

Recently, I found it again and got addicted once more. I tried the demo, loved it, and now have the full version. I must say, it's quite nice going back and seeing all the ways they've updated and improved it. x
Silvereil

Postby Silverhart » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Whoo! WolfQuest for iPhone and iPad is finally out! I was genuinely wondering if it would even happen, but it has! It's here at last!

So I downloaded it to test it out on the family iPad and it seems pretty awesome and easy to use. So, for anyone who has one of those devices and are on a budget you can purchase the full game on your device for about 4 dollars I think it was. I personally don't use the iPad for much except on vacation, so it wasn't worth it to me to purchase the full version, but like the demo you can play through the Amethyst Mountain location for free, and it's really neat seeing WolfQuest on an iPad like that. It actually still looks really good. I hope it does well. ^^
Hellooo!
Silverhart

Next

Return to Entertainment