Eldemore is Taking a Break

Here you can discuss other virtual pet sites.

Re: Eldemore is Taking a Break

Postby Mira » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:54 pm

I really love the new layout, I must say! Your coding work is really splendid, keep up the good work. :)

But such as stated above, I'm not a big fan of the rarity system as it is now. I like the stars tho, but I would suggest to color the stars for each rarity. e.g. 1 star is green, 2 stars are copper, 3 stars are blue etc etc. I feel like it will be more obvious towards the eye when colors work within the system.
The only big flaw I see so far is the "Hover over and see the rarity". As a frequent mobile user I do not have the ability to hover over something and let it pop up. If its possible, I'd suggest the pop up to come when you click on the rarity stars, or just state the rarity underneath the stars.

Other than that, I don't see a clash between the rarity stars and the pygmy star, as long as the rarity stars do not display any yellow!

Mira

Postby Startedraining » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:18 pm

You're doing amazing work Zayin! I'm really glad it's all coming along!

I really like the new pet displays- especially the litter names piece, sometimes if i go through my homestead i have no idea where some pets came from, so now i'll always know! I also really like the way the homestead is coming along and i like that it looks more like a grid with specific spacing.

i have a question, though, does that mean that there will be a more predictable amount of pets on a page/how long the page will be? if someone has a group of only pygmy ligers, i don't have to scroll down to click to the next page, but if i have a whole page of drakes, i do. will the new homestead have a place for each image to sit in and have a border if it's too small, or will they still jumble together?

i feel as though the crystal rarity system was really effective, i'm not a big fan of the stars, mostly because i'm usually on mobile and i wont be able to count or see them very easily. i also don't know how the custom rarity will be tallied.

if the gemstones looked too similar or didn't load very well, vector icons for them might work better, like the bauble icon or the pygmy star, rather than a rendered image like the way they are. I think you mentioned that vectors work better with the code, which is why you updated the wishlist and hoard list icons. Some more simple and obviously different rocks might fix that problem, while also being recognizable by users~
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Zayin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Your points are all well taken. I'm definitely going to keep tweaking the rarity designs as I didn't really spend much time putting those stars together. For me the two main reasons were switching to vector icons and showing a sense of scale. I think some distinct coloring would make sense, especially when dealing with a page full of pets. I'll keep tweaking the design and post it in the next update.

startedraining wrote:...does that mean that there will be a more predictable amount of pets on a page/how long the page will be? if someone has a group of only pygmy ligers, i don't have to scroll down to click to the next page, but if i have a whole page of drakes, i do. will the new homestead have a place for each image to sit in and have a border if it's too small, or will they still jumble together?

If I understand your question right, then yes... more or less. On pages like the Homestead and Trading, I'm trying to keep pets in a box that's always about the same size to prevent that sort of chaos where scrolling down through 20 otterlings takes forever compared to 20 eggs, or skewing the pets per row because of how wide each pet is. The only problem I'm dealing with now is the height, which still varies and is a lot more difficult to gracefully constrain than width.

Forevermore wrote:

-Site Help Corner-

Report Site Glitches Here

Rarity Updates

Site & Forum Rules

Eldemore Lore & Info

"To Watch and Protect"

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Zayin
Code Wizard

Postby Silverhart » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 pm

I'm actually surprised at people saying they don't want, or can't count the stars - you're not required to actually count them. I don't even see why you would need to. People are able to tell at a momentary glance how many objects there are in a group, for up to around eight objects, without given time to count. There are only seven stars in this system. I was able to figure out which pets were the rarest and most common, without counting a single star.

And because it shows the number of blank stars as well, you don't even need to do that - you simply need to be able to tell greater or less than. I think this will be very helpful to new users who are always asking what the stones mean, as well as to people who can't distinguish between certain colors. This system is so much easier to figure out at a glance. It will take time for us used to the older system to adjust though.

I do like the ideas of different colors for different rarities, though I also wonder if it won't look a bit chaotic with different colored stars all over the place (compared to the current look of the homestead this new one looks so much more streamlined and organized). Perhaps simply giving the colored and blank stars a greater contrast will help, such as pure black and pure white. Taking off my glasses I can see how difficult it is to see them as they are now, as the light yellow doesn't really pop against the light grey of the background.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Polly44 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Silverhart wrote:I'm actually surprised at people saying they don't want, or can't count the stars - you're not required to actually count them. I don't even see why you would need to. People are able to tell at a momentary glance how many objects there are in a group, for up to around eight objects, without given time to count. There are only seven stars in this system. I was able to figure out which pets were the rarest and most common, without counting a single star.

And because it shows the number of blank stars as well, you don't even need to do that - you simply need to be able to tell greater or less than. I think this will be very helpful to new users who are always asking what the stones mean, as well as to people who can't distinguish between certain colors. This system is so much easier to figure out at a glance. It will take time for us used to the older system to adjust though.

It may not be required to count them, but people do everything differently and nobody should expect everyone to be able to do things the same way. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean everyone can. I can tell at a glance up to about 4 stars, but after that i found i had to count them. I suspect it's partly due to the added rarity as well though, which is throwing me off and after a while i might well get used to it. Though i often forget how many rarities there are- many of us play other games as well which could have other rarity systems we could get confused with.

I myself currently just read the word under the pet, as i read quicker. Some people remember colours better and some count better. A combination of all three would be best, though that would of course be harder, but would satisfy the most people i would imagine.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Sandstorm814 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am

Just a small question - for my computer, whenever I open a new trade on Eldemore, it opens in a new tab. ( Don't know if it is just my computer, or the way this site was made.) On the remodeled site, will it still be like that? While it is a minor thing, I just prefer to have it stay on the same tab. Of course, if it just something with my computer, then I understand nothing can be done about it.

The site is looking amazing so far! I really like the star levels to display rarity, and the pet display page is looking really promising. Can't wait till April for the nest update <3
Image ImageImage
Sandstorm814

Postby Startedraining » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Sandstorm814 wrote:Just a small question - for my computer, whenever I open a new trade on Eldemore, it opens in a new tab. ( Don't know if it is just my computer, or the way this site was made.) On the remodeled site, will it still be like that? While it is a minor thing, I just prefer to have it stay on the same tab. Of course, if it just something with my computer, then I understand nothing can be done about it.

The site is looking amazing so far! I really like the star levels to display rarity, and the pet display page is looking really promising. Can't wait till April for the nest update <3

The site is coded for that because of the way the new trades are notified, if you have multiple new trades they’re shown as a list at the top but if you refresh that page they go into your trade history. Opening a trade in a new tab helps you keep track of the trades you opened. ^w^
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Khai Dreams » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Hey is there going to be any releases thus month?
my biggest dreams obtained
Khai Dreams

Postby Skeseth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Flareon! Go! wrote:Hey is there going to be any releases thus month?

There may or may not be surprise releases during any month while Eldemore is on hiatus, though I would suggest to at least check in for major holidays if you cannot check every day. I honestly do not know what releases may or may not happen, that is up to the discretion of the admins. It's up to us as members to check in from time to time :)
Please PM if you have questions or need help
Skeseth
Global Moderator

Postby Sany » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Skeseth wrote:
Flareon! Go! wrote:Hey is there going to be any releases thus month?

There may or may not be surprise releases during any month while Eldemore is on hiatus, though I would suggest to at least check in for major holidays if you cannot check every day. I honestly do not know what releases may or may not happen, that is up to the discretion of the admins. It's up to us as members to check in from time to time :)

I'm hoping there will be an April's fools release, and maybe something for Easter? Or an Easter's fools release for this year haha.

F O L L O W lalaY O U R lala D R E A M S

My Hoards
♥ Jackalopes
♥ Stage 1 Otterlings
♥ Cuttlefish
♥ Stage 1 Foo Dogs
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
lalalalalala
Haiia, I'm your average Eldemore addict!
I love all sorts of art, such as music,
crochet, photography and painting!
In real life, I'm a busy PhD student
and teaching assistent in medical sciences.
Oh, did I mention I'm a total Eld addict? ♥

lalalalalalalalalaT H E Y lala K N O W lala T H E lala W A Y
Sany

PreviousNext

Return to Other Websites