The Artists Help Thread

Discuss the creative works of various art forms, or post your artwork for critique.

The Artists Help Thread

Postby RainbowFinch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:56 pm

The Artists Help Thread

Who We Are

This thread is a place for artists, no matter the skill level, to help each other improve their art. We give advice, critique, and red-lines for those who are requesting it. All art is welcome here, not just visual.

Rules

1. Be respectful of everyone here.
2. Stay on topic. The topic can have anything to do with art, not just critiquing of images.
3. Art theft will not be tolerated. No stealing or tracing.
4. If you use a reference you have to link to that reference you used.
5. This thread is not a place to advertise commissions, art shops, or anything of that sort. If you wish to have your art shop advertised please PM me and I will place a link to it on the front page for those searching for someone to commission.
6. You must have permission to red-line art! If the poster didn't state that you are allowed to in their original post; ask.
7. No linking or posting to pirated software and no encouraging a user to use pirated software.
8. Critique is constructive. You must explain what is wrong and how to fix it. Also critique should be both positive and negative; what are the good points and what are the points that need work. Sandwich.
9. When posting art you must comment or give advice to the people who posted before you on that page. You must post to at least 3 users. This rule must be followed.
10. No inappropriate drawings. This includes sexual material, heavy gore, or anything else not suitable for children. If there is any nudity in your art, it must be censored and linked with a warning.
11. These rules are subject to change, please check back if unsure of anything or PM me (RainbowFinch)
Last edited by RainbowFinch on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
- He/Him or They/Them Pronouns Please -
RainbowFinch

Re: The Artists Help Thread - Please No Posting Yet Setting

Postby RainbowFinch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Art Shops and Artist Commissions

Art Shops

PM Commissions

DA Commissions
ImageImageImageImage
RainbowFinch

Re: The Artists Help Thread

Postby RainbowFinch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Okay opening the thread to posting, also if anyone would like help mod I would appreciate it. Just PM me.
ImageImageImageImage
RainbowFinch

Postby Silverfang » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Hey there there everybody! I'm Fang, and I suck at digital art. I have no idea how to shade or anything, and I can't even make a circle look 3-D. Could someone possibly help me with a step-by-step tutorial?

P.S. This is the extent of my so-called 'drawing' skills. *Gasp* Clickie, made it on CS.
Again, yes, I suck. Deal with it.
Me, for my dreams.

You, for your dreams.
Silverfang

Postby Distortionist » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi, Silver! Let me just ask before I say anything: do you know how to use lock alpha? Shading is a lot easier with it.
***Offering FR treasure/stuff, artwork, or older trades for this month's outcomes, token, and event pets***
Birthday Nov. 30

Watch Me Grow! wrote:ImageImage
Trading Guidelines wrote:
Some things you should know before you hit trade C:
- Mass accumulating ligers is my ultimate goal -
- Nothing I only have one of is for trade unless overpay -
- Baubles are appreciated, but not needed -
Distortionist

Postby Silverhart » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Hello, my name is Silverhart and I'm a starving artist. XP

I love art - my medium of choice being pencil and paper. Occasionally I dabble in charcoal, digital art, oil painting, and pastels. I love learning and sharing new techniques and ideas, so yay for this thread! ^^ I can't wait to see all the art, and maybe help some people and get some help in return.

I'm a huge fan of Aaron Blaise, and I just wanted to share with you all some of his Art Tips videos:

I find these videos amazingly helpful and inspiring, and he covers many different aspects of painting, character design, animation, and art in general. He also has a few tutorials you can purchase on his site. Maybe some of his videos will help some of you guys like they help me. (Not sure if this should be added to the Tutorials section up there or not, but feel free to add it if you wish Rainbow Finch)

Also, Silverfang, that piece is pretty neat. Very stylized. ^^ I wish I knew of a good step-by-step tutorial to help you out. The best way I found to learn is to start off by shading simple shapes - spheres, cubes, rectangles. Let me see if I can go hunt up a good guide for you...
EDIT:
It's a bit technical but this video might help you get a better understanding of light and shadow:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo

Here's a good one for digital art:
http://tamberella.deviantart.com/art/Giant-Shading-Tutorial-251104611

Kind of in-depth, but might be helpful:
http://m.wikihow.com/Shade-Drawings

I can't seem to find a simple/basic step-by-step one... All I seem to be finding are really technical, in depth tutorials. I had such a great little sheet on basic shading an art teacher gave me once, and I just can't find it anywhere. XP
Last edited by Silverhart on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby RainbowFinch » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 am

@Silverfang: What kind of tutorial are you searching for? I am slowly filling up the tutorial and reference section, hopefully that will help you out a lot!!

@Silverhart: Amazing link for tutorials and references, I am going to add it. I have never seen it before, I found something to go through tomorrow when I have time now lol.
ImageImageImageImage
RainbowFinch

Postby Silverfang » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:19 am

Hey guys!

Dissy: The thing where you can't color anything on transparent areas? Yeah. ^^

Finch: I don't really know...how to make a circle look like a sphere, basic shading kinda stuff.

Also: I use GIMP, if it helps. (I use it mainly for coloring lines and donating them to Kingdom Come.)
Me, for my dreams.

You, for your dreams.
Silverfang

Postby RainbowFinch » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:52 am

I hope some of these help, understanding light will also help. Notes on lighting and shading

I searched for some that are basic spheres. One Two
Basic Shading
Basic Shading again
ImageImageImageImage
RainbowFinch

Next

Return to Art Discussion