Critique?

Discuss the creative works of various art forms, or post your artwork for critique.

Critique?

Postby Sarill » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm fairly proud of this thing that I just made, a headshot of an Elvian for my new avatar. I seen to have issues with lips, however. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or critique on the rest of the piece? Thanks!

Deo <3
Sarill

Re: Critique?

Postby Sphye » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:01 pm

How pretty, Sarill! I love the colors, and the shape of their eyes!

My first piece of advice is this: When in doubt, look up references. There are plentiful stock photos online that you can study and break down into simple shapes. If something looks off to you, compare it to real photos and try to figure out why, and how you can change it to be more like you envision.
Here's a tutorial for lips that I've found helpful in the past, and another one that I found just now.
Also, the space between the eyes is fairly comparable to the width of one eye. Placement can potentially make a huge difference for an otherwise perfect drawing, so don't be afraid to move things around. ^u^

I hope that this is helpful!
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Re: Critique?

Postby Sarill » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Thank you so much! That will really help!

Edit: I'm still going to have to play around with the lips, since I'm trying for a more natural look than the first, and the second doesn't deal with color. I tried to move some stuff around on the drawing, but it really didn't work so I went back to my sketch and poked at it. I now have a very quick, very sloppy flat color version of this, with the eyes fixed and the whole thing looking slightly different, if anyone actually wants to see it.
Deo <3
Sarill

Return to Art Discussion