First Time Drawing *Tips?*

Discuss the creative works of various art forms, or post your artwork for critique.

First Time Drawing *Tips?*

Postby Spookly » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:08 am

Hello so I have recently started drawing random things
I have never been good at art and I just recently saw that if I look at thing and I imagine them then I can be pretty decent
So anyway I drew this girl based off of a Disney character (this is my first time ever drawing a human) and I was just wondering what you guys thought
And yes I know the ends of her hair are horrible I just didn't know how to draw them haha
(Sorry the picture is so big I'm on mobile)
~~~ TBF
Spookly

Re: First Time Drawing *Tips?*

Postby Sphye » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:49 am

I think that that looks awesome! The shading and lighting, particularly near the eyes and nose, looks great!
One tip that I've found to be very useful is to "flip your canvas" while you draw, so that you can view your work without already being accustomed to how it looks. In digital art programs there is usually a feature that allowed you to flip your work, but with traditional art you can accomplish the same by holding your picture up to a mirror and looking at the reflection. ^u^
For being your first drawing of a human, that's really impressive! I hope you'll post more art in the future.
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Spookly » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:08 am

Spookye wrote:
I think that that looks awesome! The shading and lighting, particularly near the eyes and nose, looks great!
One tip that I've found to be very useful is to "flip your canvas" while you draw, so that you can view your work without already being accustomed to how it looks. In digital art programs there is usually a feature that allowed you to flip your work, but with traditional art you can accomplish the same by holding your picture up to a mirror and looking at the reflection. ^u^
For being your first drawing of a human, that's really impressive! I hope you'll post more art in the future.

Thank you!
I will be doing a half face, half newspaper thing in about two weeks and maybe I will post it :)
I really want to start drawing frequently it's so soothing
~~~ TBF
Spookly

Postby Tauress » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Wow, that does look good! She looks like she could be Moana's mom or older sister XD <3

The biggest piece of advice I have is NEVER STOP DRAWING. Literally ever. Even if it's just silly doodles that you think look terrible, your brain picks up on things subconsciously! Don't compare yourself to other artists--everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, and it's important to love your own art for what it is.

Also (something I wish I'd known when I was younger) it's super helpful to learn from realism first, then try to stylize things later. So if you'd like to draw cartoon styles, try your hand at learning the shapes in, for example, a realistic mouth or nose. It'll help you understand perspective and shading, even though it can be a pain and might look a bit wonky on your first few tries ;)

And remember to keep an open mind and be gentle with yourself. You're always learning, so if someone says/acts like your art is "wrong" or "bad" then they don't have to look at it! Drawing is so much fun--best of luck to you!
Image Image
...................c h a r l e y.................
.....female ▵ taurus ▵ INFJ
.............Currently obsessed
..............with Dragon Age.
..It's bad, guys. It's like a sickness.

⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮
.........tumblrflight risingCS
⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮
Tauress

Return to Art Discussion