[[ critique needed.

Discuss the creative works of various art forms, or post your artwork for critique.

[[ critique needed.

Postby cheetah » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:41 pm

link

I just recently received a drawing tablet for my birthday so I'm rather new to this magical world of digital art. I've been building my grasp on anatomy but I really want some critique on the first piece I've been working on. I have yet to add in the background and such but the character herself is largely finished.

I would like advice on how to to make her more anatomically correct and any other advice that could be given to improve. Thank you for any help!

★★★
      previously acinonyx/vyvara

cheetah

Re: [[ critique needed.

Postby Miku » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:13 am

I love the face! The coloring is very interesting.
The belly seems a bit too plain for me. I was thinking about why and I think it could use a hint that it is furry but also it's maybe too light, especially on the bottom, since when sitting like this probably not so much light would fall on it.

I cannot offer lots of advice though, but looking at that face really catches me :)
Miku

Postby Khalissa » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:42 pm

The colors are really nice and the anatomy is pretty good too (her face and expression are awesome <3)
I think you could improve the shadowing, define a light source to have a better idea of where it should be darker or brighter. Use looooooooooots of reference images. Always. Really, refs are your best friends :D
Last edited by Khalissa on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamies!
ImageImageImage
Khalissa

Postby cheetah » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:01 am

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I went back and fixed the stomach since it really did pop out and I wasn't quite too sure how to make it more furry. I added in a background and shading/highlights as well. I still feel as if I'm missing something?

I'll try and use more references, Khal! I'm just usually afraid that I'll somehow end up copying it.

★★★
      previously acinonyx/vyvara

cheetah

Postby Khalissa » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:20 pm

It's ok, I know it feels like cheating but it's the best way to improve your art!
You don't need to trace the image you're using as ref, just study and analyze it to get a better grasp of angles, poses, etc
http://artist-refs.tumblr.com/taglistlist <---I'ts a great blog and the source of all my references hehe
Dreamies!
ImageImageImage
Khalissa

Return to Art Discussion