New Site Development Update - January 25, 2021

All news and changes to the Eldemore website will be posted here.

New Site Development Update - January 25, 2021

Postby Zayin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:45 am

Hello everyone! I’m back, and I’m obviously very bad at posting updates. I want to apologize to all of you who continue to check in, I’m sorry for keeping you waiting and in the dark. I have continued working on the site in my free time throughout the past year while weathering the storm of 2020. We’ve had a great deal of personal and health related issues to work through in the past year. Suffice it to say, we are doing well and are still here. I hope you are all staying safe and healthy, I know it’s been a trying time for everyone.

So how has Eldemore been progressing? A big focus has been the back end administrative tools. I’ve been developing systems that allow us to add new pets, manage users, change site currencies, update rarity, add eldsona items, and manage “shops” for giving stuff away. This involves lots of forms, handling and storing image uploads, having tables that allow for searching information, etc. This admin section is also where we would implement things like re-releases, a pound system, or story-driven events. I know it might be hard to visualize, but this stuff is equally important in maintaining the site to the front end stuff that you can see.

I have had to mirror a lot of the user functionality from phpBB such as logging in, banning, permissions, password resets, and avatars so we’ll have the flexibility we need to be separate from the forum system. It just wouldn’t be practical for us to continue being dependent on the forum system since we have no real control over its development. I’m also including better info and controls for handling cheaters, as well as audit logs for pets and currency transactions. All behind the scenes stuff, so there’s not much I can show in terms of screenshots.

Here’s more detail from the past year:
  • Finished trading. Trades now behave sort of like emails, you can draft a trade which saves automatically, then come back to it later, and send it when you’re ready. Currency and Eldsona items can also be traded. Other than that, it’s what you are all familiar with.
  • Added an authentication system to Eldemore instead of using the forum’s auth system. This included developing logins, registration, and password resets. This stays in sync with your forum account, keeping you logged in and logged out of both. This was a huge hurdle for this project. Also added and updated legal language, privacy policy and terms of use, set up email notifications, and added special account conversion for returning users. Basically, this means that you’ll have one Eldemore account instead of having one for Eldemore and one for the forums.
  • The following is all internal stuff we will use to run the site:
    Created Eldemore admin dashboard, which is still a work in progress. Implemented a “smart table”, which allows for sorting and filtering virtually any remote data set. Very handy for getting through these areas faster.
  • Users: Added visibility on currency usage, notes and warnings, active sessions, and other basic data. When I talk about “currencies”, I’m talking about event tokens and baubles, and any other site currency we might decide to introduce.
  • Permissions: Ability to manage Eldemore related permissions.
  • Currencies: Ability to edit site currencies.
  • Adoptions: Ability to add new pets to release, including outcomes, rarity values, growths, and images.
  • Other tools, including some aspects of the above, are still a work in progress.

So let’s recap where the site is at now. All of these items that say “done” still need testing and polish, meaning there may be small issues and missing pieces, but nothing major.
  • The Homestead is done, you can manage and view pets and groups.
  • Eldsona creation/management has not been started on, this may wait until after launch.
  • Trading is done, you can view, start, receive, and modify trades for pets, eldsona items, and currency.
  • Adoptions and Bazaar are done, you can adopt or buy pets/items/upgrades for free or for baubles or event tokens.
  • Explore and Story Scenes, which you’ll remember as our holiday events, haven't been started on. I haven’t decided yet where this fits on the roadmap, but I feel it’s an important part of our site.
  • Codex is done, you can review past releases for both pets and items, and manage your wishlist.
  • Forums are upgraded, themed, and working, though I will have to make some tweaks so the forum system can’t mess up the Eldemore system.
  • Registration is done, you will be able to sign up, log in, and reset your password.
  • A user settings page and a news page are still needed.
  • Some crucial back-end tools still need to be finished.

Again, I’m sorry that this overhaul has taken so long. We’ve come a long way, and it may be a slow launch even when the site finally does go up. I want to be candid, don’t expect any big day one releases or events, we will have to work our way up to that. When I do roll this out, I will likely need some help testing, which I’ll let everyone know about. I also want to mention that it is always encouraging to see people still posting on here wanting updates. I looked in the “Count until a mod posts” topic and saw they were only at 21 :)

I’ve also been musing about some changes we could make to improve the game and cut down on cheating, but I’ll make a separate post about that later. It would be good to get some feedback.

Anyways, thanks for checking in and reading! I hope you are all staying well, and here’s to a better year!

Zayin

Forevermore wrote:

-Site Help Corner-

Report Site Glitches Here

Rarity Updates

Site & Forum Rules

Eldemore Lore & Info

"To Watch and Protect"

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Zayin
Code Wizard

Re: New Site Development Update - January 25, 2021

Postby Mira » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:24 pm

This is so exciting to read Zayin! Thank you a lot for your work. :D <3
I'm still lurking around everyday and I'm looking forward to the launch of the new site!

Mira

Postby Matreats » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Ahhhhh!!!! Thank you so so so much for the update!! I’m always interested in what goes on behind the scenes and I’m very proud that you’ve been able to overcome some of the bigger problems like the forum/website account merge!
I sincerely hope you’re doing well ^^

╒═══════════════╕
Hello there! My name is Matisse,
and I enjoy drawing, Undertale,
Minecraft, Voltron, Pokemon,
and Eldemore. I'm more active
on Eldemore, so feel free to
send a trade! I don't care much
for pet rarities, just looks.

╘═══════════════╛
╒═══════════════╕
╘═══════════════╛
ᏢᎪᏆᎥᎬᏁᏟᎬ
ᎽᎬᎥᏞᎠs

u

Matreats

Postby Sphye » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:42 pm

I'm delighted to hear what the site progress is looking like! Thank you for the update, and best of luck in continuing!
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby ►Athena◄ » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46 pm

I'm so happy to hear that the site update has made progress! Thank you for this update!
CS Account Link
Eldemore Trade Thread

•No Current Auction•
►Athena◄

Postby Roonie-Roe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:39 pm

Thank you so much for the update and all of the hard work you've been putting into the site, Zayin!

I hope you guys continue to stay well and I'm definitely looking forward to the day the new site is up and running, even if it might be a bumpy start with some kinks to work out, I have no doubt it'll be well worth the wait. Keep up the great work! ^-^ <3
Ö

Ö

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Rest in peace, Daddy...
~ May 26, 1936 - May 20, 2016 ~

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Image Image
[My Hoard List] [Chicken Smoothie]
[Flight Rising] [Dragon Cave] [Furry Paws (join?)]
Roonie-Roe

Postby Silverhart » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:06 pm

It's so great to hear from you guys and to hear that progress is being made! It seems like you got a ton of stuff done. Even if the final site is a long way off, it's awesome to hear you're making progress. Great work Zayin! Keep it up!

Thank you so much for the update. I sincerely hope 2021 is a better year for you guys (and all of us, really).
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Startedraining » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:38 pm

*bounces up and down* im so glad y’all are safe Zayin, and I appreciate all the information! :> cant wait to see what you’ve done!
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return