New Site Development Update - January 25, 2021

All news and changes to the Eldemore website will be posted here.

Re: New Site Development Update - January 25, 2021

Postby Kiinotasha » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:57 pm

Please guys, this community has been nothing but kind and considerate to each other since the site opened. It is okay to not agree with other people's opinions, it is okay that you feel however you do about the site being down, it is okay to come here to talk to everyone to find out where other people stand and to want to get answers, but as Archer said, please do not start fights, or make passive aggressive comments. This site will crumble if we let this revamp start taring apart this community and making it a unhealthy place to be.

I came to this site from CS like so many of you did, and what drew me to this site MORE than the pets was the fact that the user base was friendly, helpful, and down right silly. Where is all that laughter from the Great Gifting War? Where are all the people who reached out in kindness to each other? What happened to them?

This site has beautiful pets, and fun stories and characters, but they were never what kept me here. It was us as a community coming together to make this site a safe space, all of us deciding that we were going to make the choice to keep this site a pleasant one, because we cared about each other. I want THAT site back.
"It has been said that 'Time heals all wounds', I do not agree. The wounds remain in time the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." -Rose Kenady
ImageBy Skelisteri
ImageImageImage
Kiinotasha

Postby RedAutumnLeaf » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:17 pm

I regret ever giving any money to this game. I'm not gonna pretend COVID hasn't hit all of us, some extremely hard. But when you have a website you continue to monetize and a dedicated community still looking for answers (and still able to give you money, funny how they haven't turned off advertisements and bauble purchases) you can at the very least give an update. Even if that update is just to say "hey I can't do this anymore, the site will be up but no more updates." I mean come on.
Hello! I'm RedAutumnLeaf, but you can call me Autumn.
Send over a trade! I would love to trade, no matter the offer.
If you need help with anything, are having trouble on Eldemore, or just need someone to talk to, send me a PM.
I always love helping others and meeting new people, so I'll try to help you as much as I possibly can.
RedAutumnLeaf

Postby Lunarsnow » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:09 pm

...there aren't any ads on this site though? It says on the 'get baubles' page the only way they make any money is through baubles and I find it hard to believe there's much (if even anyone) buying since they stopped the new content there's only a few eldsona items for sale and no pet releases. New registration is off so it's not like they're tricking new people who are unaware into buying baubles. If anyone's buying baubles right now it's because they want to support the admins.

Turned off my adblock to double check and there are zero (0) ads here I could see after clicking around for a few minutes. I don't know what you're seeing but it's not from Eldemore.

I agree that there should be more frequent updates, but to be mad about "monetizing" the site when their only source of site generated income is the equivalent of a rundown, dusty store that everyone knows won't be restocked anytime soon is a little silly. I could get being mad if they only came on to post stuff like, "hey remember you can support us while we're down by buying baubles!" or "bauble purchases will help the site get done faster!" but they aren't. Sure they haven't disabled the bazaar but I don't really think that's particularly shady or anything.

Is it disheartening to be getting radio silence? Yeah, even irritating at times. Being upset about that is understandable.You're not obligated to keep checking in if you're fed up. The way I see it though, is it's not a pay to play or subscription based thing. I'm not being forced to spend money and I don't have to keep checking in to keep my account or pets from being deleted. All they're asking for is patience but if you've run out of it that's also fine. I waited 13 years for a new Half Life game, I'll still be here if/when this site gets back on its feet ;)

But also... is it really that strange to assume everything is the same if there's no update? The site's still up and the last update, even if it was seven months ago, showed progress and willingness to get work done even if it was slow going. I really doubt Zayin would throw his hands up and be like "nah, this is trash, bye" without saying anything. If he hasn't done so in almost four years then I feel like he's gonna keep chugging at it until it get done.
Lunarsnow

Postby Chione » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:24 am

Yeah I've got to agree with the general sentiment here that we don't really have the right to demand anything, nor do I think its fair to assume the site is abandoned.

I only check every few months now since it has seemed to be quite slow-moving, and i cant deny the frustration, sadness and even a little bit of anger that I feel when there are no updates whatsoever, but I only feel those things because I LOVED this site, and I only got the chance to do that because of the time and energy the Devs put into making it. It costs me absolutely nothing to keep waiting, so it hardly seems worth it to be mad. Yeah, in a perfect world we would have more updates, --heck, in a perfect world it would have never gone on hiatus-- but I think the past couple of years are more than enough evidence that the world is far from perfect and crap that we would never predict or imagine can happen at the drop of a hat.

Like LunarSnow said, the devs haven't taken advantage of us in any way. If anything, they are paying for the delay more than we are because they have to keep the site running while making nothing from it. To me, that seems like a decent sign that they are still working on it, and, again, all the more reason for me to patiently await the return rather than add stress to Devs who are clearly juggling a lot already.

On the other side, I, for one, am grateful no matter what happens. In the time the site has been down, my eldsonas have transformed into some of my favorite OCs. Stories that were born here have become entire worlds and inspired so many other characters and tales. This site has given me so much, and while I cant wait to see all of the amazing things it will give me again once it is back up, in the meantime I am more than happy to look at the beautiful pets I accumulated and wait for an update.

I wish nothing but the best for Bena and Zay, and happily await whatever comes next :)
Need lots of Eldemore pets from 2013!
Also need Baubles!
Send Trades Please!
Chione

Postby TheTigersDen » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:04 am

Still checking in for any good news, just keep doing what you can whenever you can, we'll be here when the site is ready :)

Hope all is well for everyone, it's been a wild almost 2 years now
I don't know the value of any pets, so I decline almost all trade sorry.
TheTigersDen

Postby Silverhart » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:06 am

I always saw this site as a passion project. We members were just along for the ride. No one is obligated to update us on the work, or to work on it at all if they don't feel like it.

This isn't just a website. It's a game, it's a story, it's a lot of things, and those things take a long time to create. A few years to make a game in one's spare time is not unreasonable, or even unusual.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby muriel » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:06 pm

I just want to say that I absolutely understand both sides of this.

I am staff on another website where, to a degree, we are doing this same thing: an overhaul of several site aspects. Like here, for us, things are taking a lot longer then expected as well. Lots of unforseen issues that cropped up when we went to implement the changes.

We've also been slow due to our host, as well as those of us working on things, having lives outside of the site. We're all human and busy people who's schedules do not revolve around our userbase's. Like the userbase we have lives outside of site.

The best I can say from a site staff perspective is that things crop up in real life all the time, but it is also justifiable to want even just once sentence updates once in a while. Now, the site I work for has only been down for a little while. Not four years like Eldemore, but I hope my perspective ... I guess helps in some way?

I can see how many consider four years to be excessive. But from a coding, cosmetics, etc standpoint, their is a lot more work to be done then what meets the eye. Website I'm staff on isn't even a game. We're just a community of writers, but everything we're doing is taking a lot longer then we initially planned.

However, you have to remember that Eldemore is a full game, from pet collecting, to trading, adoptions, eldsonas, the forums, etc? That's a lot of work to overhaul, and from a game dev standpoint takes a long time, especially when you are the sole coder for the project.

You have to understand from a developers perspective, their is a lot more work to a game then what meets the eye. From a dev standpoint, it is absolutely understandable it has taken this long for the game to be worked on, on top of the dev's personal life. As far as I know, Zayin is the only one who codes.

I'm with the sentiment that we don't get to demand anything and it's not fair to assume this game is abandoned. But! I do think it's fair that we want a few more "regular" updates, even if it's just one sentence things like "Hi, I'm alive, life keeps me busy but I am working on site when I can".

To me this site has always been a passion project and I'm happy to see even this bigger update. At least he's tellin' us something. I'll be here when site is ready and I'm excited to know, at the very least, something is still happening.

If anyone wants to chat, whether it's regarding what I said here or just in general shoot me a pm! I'll reply when I can.
muriel

Postby RedAutumnLeaf » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:17 am

this may be pedantic but the art design of the pets on here has always been far too complicated for consistent pet/adoptable updates. Having such complex designs and shading still mapped onto low resolution models was never gonna do them any good, and I feel like the stress of having to keep up consistent adoptable updates with the parameters they set for themselves was always going to become an issue eventually.
Hello! I'm RedAutumnLeaf, but you can call me Autumn.
Send over a trade! I would love to trade, no matter the offer.
If you need help with anything, are having trouble on Eldemore, or just need someone to talk to, send me a PM.
I always love helping others and meeting new people, so I'll try to help you as much as I possibly can.
RedAutumnLeaf

Postby FoxFlame » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:42 pm

I understand a lot of yall's frustrtion. I joined this sight back in 2013. Its crazy how much time has passed. I still check in often hoping for an update. I understnd however people have lives outside of this game, this has always been such a fun game and awesome community. While I hope an update comes soon I can understand if one doesnt. Im sure eventually this game wil be back up and running and those of us still hanging around wont regret the time we all spend checking in and waiting patiently.
ImageFoxFlame

I STILL CHECK IN OFTEN, FEEL FREE TO SEND A TRADE OR MESSAGE!
FoxFlame

Postby Roonie-Roe » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:04 pm

RedAutumnLeaf wrote:
this may be pedantic but the art design of the pets on here has always been far too complicated for consistent pet/adoptable updates. Having such complex designs and shading still mapped onto low resolution models was never gonna do them any good, and I feel like the stress of having to keep up consistent adoptable updates with the parameters they set for themselves was always going to become an issue eventually.

Speaking as a past artist, there was never any pressure to do super complicated/overly detailed designs or themes. Simple designs were just as acceptable as really complex ones and it was always completely up to the artists whether or not they wanted to go all out on something. And with the exception of Rune Dragons (which are a special case, as their lineart is not set in stone and is unique to each individual pet/release) all of the species' files were very straightforward with their lineart, shading, and coloring layers and were very easy to color and work with... So I'm a little confused what it is you're referring to here with your statement?
Ö

Ö

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Rest in peace, Daddy...
~ May 26, 1936 - May 20, 2016 ~

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Image Image
[My Hoard List] [Chicken Smoothie]
[Flight Rising] [Dragon Cave] [Furry Paws (join?)]
Roonie-Roe

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements