Books!

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Books!

Postby Sarill » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Hello all Eldemorians! This is a thread to talk about books of every kind. Come here to share a cool new book you just read, get recommendations, or simply chat about your favorites.

Rules:
Please, use good grammar. It doesn't have to be perfect, just make an effort.
Be courteous. Everyone has their own opinions, one person's taste in books is not necessarily better then another's. Feel free to discuss what you like and don't like about a book but no bashing.
Keep it PG. If you are recommending a book, please mention if it is not appropriate for all users. (Game of Thrones, Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, ect.) Feel free to discuss these books as long as you keep it appropriate.
Avoid troublesome topics. Please stay away from discussing books such as Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey, and others where discussion can become controversial and hurtful.
Last edited by Sarill on Thu May 21, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deo <3
Sarill

Re: Books!

Postby Metallic Dragon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Has anyone ever read the Chronicles of Nick books by Sherrilyn Kenyon? I'm re-reading the first three so I can remember what was happening before I read the fourth one that I bought a few months ago and I forgot how much I enjoyed the sarcastic humor in them.
Metallic Dragon

Postby Sphye » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Has anyone read Gregor the Overlander? It was written by Suzanne Collins.
It's a great series until the last book, which is sad as heck and contradicts several main points of the series.
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Distortionist » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Wings of Fire is the best dragon series. End of story XD
***Offering FR treasure/stuff, artwork, or older trades for this month's outcomes, token, and event pets***
Birthday Nov. 30

Watch Me Grow! wrote:ImageImage
Trading Guidelines wrote:
Some things you should know before you hit trade C:
- Mass accumulating ligers is my ultimate goal -
- Nothing I only have one of is for trade unless overpay -
- Baubles are appreciated, but not needed -
Distortionist

Postby Silverhart » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Books! ^^ I love books. All kinds of books! Right now I am very slowly making my way through an English translation of Cervantes' 'Don Quixote', the first ever modern novel as it is called, and it's pretty funny. I find it amazing that something written five hundred years ago still has the ability to make me laugh out loud. Anyway, it's a good book. Very entertaining, although a bit hard to read because of the old language (Cervantes needs to watch those run-on sentences).

Let's see, I haven't really been keeping on top of my series lately, but being that I love adventure-on-the-high-seas stories, some of my favorite series are The Bloody Jack adventures, the Temerarie books, and The Lord Ramage novels, which are all aimed toward teen/adult audiences.
For children's/teen series I am stuck in all the drama of Chris D'Lacey's Dragon Chronicles (My gosh, the drama!), Percy Jackson (haven't actually gotten around to reading the last book yet), Avalon: Web of Magic (it's for like ten year olds, but it's brilliant and I love it. I've read the whole series like, three times), The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, and all of Tamora Pierce's Tortall books, although I'm really behind and haven't read Mastiff yet. There's probably a lot more, but those are just some of my favorites I can think of off my head. I enjoy reading both adult, teen, and children's literature.

My favorite genre is historical fiction/historical fantasy, with general all around fantasy as a close second. I love adventure stories above all. I love reading classics too, like 'Don Quixote', 'The Jungle Book', 'Treasure Island', and mythology, 'The Illiad', 'The Mabinogion', etc. I'm currently trying to read more Sci-Fi right now, like H.G. Wells and Jules Verne. My least favorite 'genre' is paranormal romance. I'm sorry to those who like it but 'paranormal romance' should not be a genre. And it should not take up 75% of the bookstore. Yuck! I really avoid romance novels of any kind due to bad expirences. Some of those books, I just don't see how they ever got published.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby rose; » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Anyone read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King? [little graphic, but mostly appropriate... although I would recommend it for young adults+ simply for some of the content and to be able to fully udnerstand it and keep up with the whole story line]
I haven't been able to find anyone who's read it ><
just gifting out my collection. no longer really have time.
rose;

Postby Sarill » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:39 pm

I read Gregor the Overlander books, but it was years ago, so I don't remember much about it. I haven't read Wings of Fire, nor Chronicles of Nick though.
I haven't read the Dark Tower, is it good?

Silver, you seem to like quite a lot of the same types of books that I do XD. The Tamora Pierce series was my childhood, and I love them all so much. I read a much-abridged version of Don Quixote in Spanish in Spanish class at school. That was difficult to get through then, but I've always been meaning to get it in English. I'm a big fan of the Temerire books, and I can't wait until the next one comes out! On the topic of dragons I also love the Dragonriders of Pern, a series that has been going for a long time now. Well, more of a world then a series. They are quite good, and my first introduction to them was the Dragon singer, Dragon Song, Dragon Drums trilogy. Has anyone else heard of them?

Some of my favorite books are the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelly Armstrong, The Dresden series by Jim Butcher, and the Iron Druid Chronicles that I can't remember the author of right now >< Those are all good urban fantasy ones. I also really enjoy things by Neil Gaiman like American Gods, and I just re-read Good Omens for the hilarity of it.

Yeah, I kind of went on a bit of a rant there, sorry about that.
Deo <3
Sarill

Postby Bast-et » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm a huge reader- love books. I'm currently flying through all of Mercedes Lackey's work ^^
I've read the Gregor the Overlander series; I actually own most of them, and they inspired me to try my hand at echolocation which I'm worthless at. I do have to say that overall I enjoyed them more than the hunger games series, although The Hunger Games remains my favorite individual piece by her.
Also read the Chronicles of Nick, but I have yet to read the newest one. Really funny and well written.
And Web of Avalon! Gosh, I haven't read those in forever! I have the whole collection in one book. Kinda wish I'd find a magic stone and portal weaving dragons XD But without all the stress and whatnot haha.
I've read ever single Tamora Pierce book, including the horrible Circle of Magic series. I don't know why, but those never clicked. My favorite of them was either Protector of the Small series, or the Immortal series. But Bloodhound and Mastiff are pretty cool as well.
Dragon Riders of Pern are the best! I found them in middle school, and pick up the next one any time I want an easy, enjoyable read. She does a really good job with her characters and creating the world, although the contractions in everyone's name gets confusing after a bit what with F'lar and F'nor and whatnot XD

Other books that I really enjoyed that I can remember at the moment are Timeline- Micheal Criton (So good), Sword of Truth series- Terry Goodkind (I reread the entire series every year. Not for kids, lots of gore/war/violence/mature themes. But wonderful fantasy world with great characters). The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand (Brilliant themes, great characters, long and thick. It takes some love to read XD) City of Ashes/Bones/Glass/etc- Cassandra Clare (funny, awesome characters, relatable despite angel/demon plot line) Anything by Orson Scott Card, except The Memory/Ships/etc of Earth series. That one's a tad bland.
ImageShivali
Bast-et

Postby Silverhart » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Sarill wrote:Silver, you seem to like quite a lot of the same types of books that I do XD. The Tamora Pierce series was my childhood, and I love them all so much.

Ahh yes. Tamora Pierce's books got me through a good deal of awkward pre-teen/teenager phases. XP Thank you Tamora Pierce! :D I've never read the 'Circle of Mages' books - I don't know why, they just never appealed to me. The Alanna books were the first of her books I read, and they've just seemed to get better as time goes on. 'Protector of the Small' might be my favorite of the Tortall books.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new Avalon series, Shadow Warrior. But it is taking forever! XP Glad to know I'm not the only one who's read them though. They are just such fun, nice, quick reads.

I've never read Dragon Riders of Pern. I think I read one book, and found it really boring and hard to follow and I never continued reading them.

Another favorite author of mine that I forgot to mention is Dianna Wynne Jones. I love her books. I don't know what it is, but her style is just so great.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Skeseth » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:26 am

This is my kind of subject... and surprising to see some familiar series on here! Sarill, I never knew you read Pern :D I had a strong love for the series but some bad experiences over the last two years has put me off of them mostly... Regardless, I miss the world and loving it and knowing everything there is to know about Pern. Not to mention I doubt you ever noticed that Skeseth is a Pernese dragon name XD

And Silver, I always thought I was the ONLY person that bought Bloody Jack books XD I never did read the last one. They started dragging on for me... but they were always fun to read and look forward to every year! I had been following since the Jolly Roger book, and it became a personal favorite because of that~

I have about 4 bookcases of books, some read and some I haven't. Frank Beddor's Wonderland series is pretty different and interesting. I absolutely love Neil Gaiman (I own and still haven't read all his Sandman comics though). His latest book was a quick read but hard to put down. Pern, of course, the Mortal Instrument series but I hadn't been able to read the last books... Including the last one of Infernal Devices. I am pretty interested in going to see the movie this Wednesday, regardless of bad experiences with young adult-turned-movies. Fan of Percy Jackson, adore Temeraire, and many more.

My childhood, however, was all about Animorphs. I was an expert in everything about Animorphs lol Anyone else read these? ^^
Please PM if you have questions or need help
Skeseth
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Entertainment