☾ Insomnia and Insomniacs ☾

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Postby Spearow » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Spearow wrote:
I made this thread on Chicken Smoothie, and thought there might be some people who would be interested in discussing here. ^^

Hello, I made this thread to meet some fellow insomniacs here on CS, and to hopefully get some discussion going. You do not have to be an insomniac to post and discuss on here. Anyone is welcome. ^^ I've added some information and discussion questions below.

What is Insomnia?

Insomnia is a sleeping disorder when you often have trouble falling asleep and/or staying asleep through the night.

What is an Insomniac?

An insomniac is simply a person who suffers from Insomnia.

What causes Insomnia?
Primary Insomnia

☾ Long-lasting stress and/or emotional upset. Primary Insomnia is in its own, a distinct disorder. The exact cause is unknown.
Secondary Insomnia

☾ Often caused by family problems, stress at work, or a traumatic event.
☾ Medical conditions, medicines.

Symptoms of Insomnia

There are several symptoms of insomnia. Some more common symptoms are as follows:
☾ Waking up too early in the morning.
☾ Feeling like you haven't slept once you've woken.
☾ Trouble concentrating.
☾ Fatigue.
☾ Trouble falling asleep, and/or staying asleep.
☾ Mood changes, irritability.

Other

☾ Insomnia can be cured, and there are sleep aids you can try that do not require visiting a doctor. Melatonin is an all natural, common sleep-aiding medicine you can get at most stores.
☾ Lack of sleep can cause you to have frequent headaches and sometimes, hallucinations.
☾ Insomnia and anxiety disorders often tend to go hand in hand.

Some questions you can feel free to answer, or post your own. ^^
Feel free to have an open discussion. (:

For Insomniacs
How many hours of sleep do you usually get on an average night?
Have you ever had any hallucinations from lack of sleep?
How long have you suffered from insomnia?

Code: Select all
[b]How many hours of sleep do you usually get on an average night?[/b]
[b]Have you ever had any hallucinations from lack of sleep?[/b]
[b]How long have you suffered from insomnia?[/b]

For Anyone
How many people do you know suffer or have suffered from insomnia?

Code: Select all
[b]How many people do you know suffer or have suffered from insomnia?[/b]
[b]How many hours of sleep do you usually get on an average night?[/b]

Feel free to have any sort of discussion relating to the topic. :)

Also if there is anything you think I should add, post here or pm me. ^^

lgbt•Insomniac•call me Spearow•
-

Hello! Looking for trades and have over 120 pages of Wishlist. (:
Say it before it is too late wrote:

My DC ScrollMy ChickenSmoothieMy Official Trade Thread
Spearow

Re: ☾ Insomnia and Insomniacs ☾

Postby Spearow » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:45 pm

res ^^

feel free to post

-

Spearow

Postby Spearow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:03 am

Recently I've been having even worse luck with sleeping. Currently 4a.m., and I haven't woken up I am still awake. :(
Yes but also debatable because I was also on some medication at the time. I do see black dots and things floating around when I'm really tired.
Since around 4th grade when I started having anxiety attacks, the insomnia just sort of came with it.

-

Spearow

Postby whiskeyandwolves » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 am

Hi! Thanks for making an awesome thread!!!

How many hours of sleep do you usually get on an average night? Anywhere from 3 - 5 hours.
Have you ever had any hallucinations from lack of sleep? Oh heck yes. I've also blacked out and feinted.
How long have you suffered from insomnia? Since I came home from a bad relationship and was diagnosed with PTSD. I've tried just about every sleeping pill (prescription & Non) on the planet :)

Last night I got approx. 2.5 hours of sleep.
whiskeyandwolves

Postby Sphye » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:22 pm

I have a couple of questions for anyone who'd like to answer. ^v^

-Does insomnia have to be a consistent issue with sleep, or can multiple occasions on an infrequent schedule be classified as insomnia?
-Is it fairly easy to tell when stress is contributing?
-In situations with no night-time distractions, is it equally hard to sleep or less so?
-Do you tend to nap more to make up for missed or unrestful sleep?
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Circe » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:55 am

-- I actually sleep a lot, my problem is FALLING asleep. I sometimes don't sleep until 4-6 in the morning, and go to bed at midnight-1 am. I get anywhere from 12 to 2 hours of sleep, it drastically ranges.
-- I get what I call "the booms" which when I'm very tired and wake up in the middle of the night or early morning and hear this loud BANG noise in the house, or a loud thump, or a smack or crash. It only happens after I've already woken up in the middle of the night, and on my 2nd wake up, or 3rd. It scares the HECK out of me. It's like an auditory falling dream. Ugh... I hate these.
-- Since college in 2011, thanks to my fantastic wall-mate in the other apartment who would blast music (it vibrated my walls and my head) at 2 in the morning. Staff didn't do anything about it. How lovely. Now ever since, I lay awake sometimes for HOURS before finally falling asleep, sometimes giving me only 2 hours a whole night. I have my own house by now, the last 4 years, and for some reason I still have this problem now.
I ♥ Pygmies! I'm questing 1 of each type I can!
Circe

Postby Darkcrescendo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:55 pm

How many hours of sleep do you usually get on an average night? 2-3ish. Sometimes.
Have you ever had any hallucinations from lack of sleep? Yes.
How long have you suffered from insomnia? Due to some very personal problems, I've suffered from insomnia since I was 13. >~<

Also, sadly most sleeping pills won't work on me due to a poor decision I made that involved sleeping pills. Unfortunately, I'm immune to their effects now ;-;
If anyone has any suggestions for a nice sleep besides sleeping pills, that'd be nice.
Chamomile tea is nice, though it doesn't help much.

Hello! My name is Darkcrescendo, also known as Seto! I go by he/him, and write mostly horror/tragedy. Feel free to DM me at anytime,
I'm always up for some chatting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Art commissions are currently closed!
Darkcrescendo

Postby furby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:39 pm

I think I have insomnia. It takes me at least 20 minutes to fall asleep. I've tried one thing that was supposed to help me sleep, and it did nothing, and when I take medicine that's supposed to make people drowsy nothing happens. I also feel tired no matter how much sleep I get, and I get a lot of headaches, but I have no other symptoms.
Just like half the people on this website, I'm trying to get all of the pets. I have 184 pages left. I'm always looking for trades!
furby

Postby whiskeyandwolves » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:30 pm

@Sphye
I have a couple of questions for anyone who'd like to answer. ^v^

-Does insomnia have to be a consistent issue with sleep, or can multiple occasions on an infrequent schedule be classified as insomnia? It really depends, I've had different doctors say different things. I guess its the severity of the symptoms more than the actual time missed sleeping???

-Is it fairly easy to tell when stress is contributing?
Personally, for me because I have PTSD I'm very disconnected from myself, but it is still fairly easy for me to realize when it is stress induced. Symptoms are usually aggravated & for me it is noticeable.

-In situations with no night-time distractions, is it equally hard to sleep or less so? It depends on the day, honestly I can have a perfect day, ZERO night time distractions and still not sleep. On the other hand, when I have a s*** day and am distracted I KNOW I'm not going to sleep.

-Do you tend to nap more to make up for missed or unrestful sleep? I find napping makes it worse, for me anyway. I do tend to sleep in if possible on the weekends to catch up. I have my best sleeps from 6AM till Noon :)
whiskeyandwolves

Return to General Discussion