Fears and Phobias Discussion Thread

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: Fears and Phobias Discussion Thread

Postby Ravenkiss » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:08 pm

I have a very annoying and irrational fear of sharp things and points. My friend shook a butter knife in my direction and I had a panic attack. Over a butter knife. "Aichmophobia".
Ravenkiss

Postby VictorianFlorist » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:17 pm

I have a great difficulty going into large cities and other places with high buildings. I don't have an issue with heights, I'm just really paranoid when it comes to buildings crashing down on top of me. This prevents me from enjoying things like rollercoasters, which I am afraid may break out underneath me.
My therapist told me I have "Catastrophobia", which is the irrational fear of disasters. Though I also have trust issues that contribute to my fear.
VictorianFlorist

Postby Scar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Oh, this looks interesting. ovo

While some of my worst fears is being buried alive or bleeding through my eyes/ears/mouth(I know, graphic), however, I'm not afraid of death or blood itself(I'm actually kind of fascinated by it), just the thought of bleeding through my eyes/ears/mouth really sets me off. XD

I wish I could say I only had those two fears, but I have a few phobias aside from those two. Some I've had most of my life while others are recent.

Starting with the ones I've had primarily all my life.
    Acrophobia, fear of heights. Being a short person, 5'2" in height, heights have always scared me. While I do have a small fascination with seeing things from a bird's eye view, it's hard to ignore the queasy swell of fear in my gut and the dizziness I feel when really high up.
    Aquaphobia, fear of water. Now, I'm not afraid of all water mainly when there is enough water to cover me so think a pool or the ocean. Granted, I don't know how to swim so this could be different but I just can't stand the feel of the water pressure against my chest and neck; it is too smothering.
    Claustrophobia, fear of having no escape and being closed in. This one​ in particular is a real trouble for me, if I have too​ many people around me or I feel a room is too small, I start to panic and some times hyperventilate. Even in my dreams or if I'm trying to imagine instances or I'm watching a movie/video game where going through narrow places and the like can sometimes trigger me to panic.
    One thing for sure is you don't want to be in a elevator with me, while it plays on the claustrophobia, I'm also just really scared of elevators. I'll normally cling to the side of the wall or to someone while closing my eyes and taking deep breaths to try and keep calm in elevators. It helps, but I mostly fear I may embarrass those around me whenever we go in elevators; it's not that I want to be scared of them, I try my best to control it in what helps me feel calm but sometimes that's not enough for people.

Now, the one(s) I've acquired/learned to have in recent years.
    Entonophobia, fear of ticks. I honestly never knew I had this fear until recently (July 4th, 2013 to be very specific) as I've never had to deal with them when I lived in Louisiana but whenever I moved to Kansas, I learned the hard way on the 4th of July when we went to a national park to go fishing and I ended up with three ticks on me, luckily only one was attached but that didn't lessen the state of panic and fear I was in. So yeah, never knew I was scared of them but now just the thought of them makes my skin crawl.

Phobias I've overcome. No easy feat for sure, and on rare occasions I may still have a twinge of fear but nothing I can't force myself past.
    Pupaphobia, fear of puppets. I know, I know. Sounds really silly but I honestly was really terrified of them. The cause of the fear was when I was, maybe 2 or so years old, and my older brother chased me around the house with this big arm puppet we had that had a huge mouth and itty-bitty eyes, since then, I was horrified by hand/arm puppets. Whenever we had VBS at my church, one of the workers would have to sit with me during the puppet shows because I was scared of them.
    It wasn't until I was, like, 10 years old that I got over my fear and oddly enough, it was at VBS during a puppet show but it centered around one of my favorite people, David Livingston and his story, and I really wanted to watch. After that, I wasn't scared of them anymore. I mean, every once in awhile I may feel disturbed or uncomfortable around puppets that I find creepy to look at but that's pretty much it.

v
v
v
v

❝ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴡᴀs ᴀ ᴍᴇʟᴏᴅʏ
LOCKED DEEP INSIDE OF ME

BUT NOW IT'S FREE
ɪᴛ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴀ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ ᴇᴍʙʀᴀᴄᴇᴅ ʙʏ ʜᴀʀᴍᴏɴʏ ❞

ImageImage
text text text text text text t
Have questions?
Feel free to drop a PM! c;
Have an great day!

"Scar- the Ancient of Destroying Evidence"
"I like big men and I cannot lie~"

text text text text text text t
✦ ✦ ママ犬 ✦ ✦

ɴᴏᴡ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ,
very well,
THE LOVE
WITHIN MYSELF

✦ ✦ ✦
ImageImage

❝ ᴏɴʟʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ
BREAK
THE SHELL

Scar

Postby MissyChariot » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:04 pm

This thread looks cool!

I had really bad arachnophobia when I was younger - Like, to the point where I would bawl if I saw one, and I would not go into rooms if I had seen a spider in it, and I would make my dad check my shoes to make sure there weren't any spiders in them. I've kinda grown out of it. I still don't really like spiders, but I don't mind them. It's really only the little jumping/fast spiders that get to me. Cause you can't see where they are, and they can crawl on you without you knowing, uggughghg. Surprisingly, I don't mind the big ones like Tarantulas.

I still call for my dad to get rid of the spiders inside the house though XP
Have lists +more on Chicken Smoothie, will trade for Eld
MissyChariot

Postby valiant-quest » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:07 am

I used to be terrified of any creepy crawly things and I would cry and refuse to go in a room with a bug or spider in it. When I was ten, at recess in school, a tiny spider landed in my hair and I was freaking out. I don't remember when I got over this fear, but I'm fascinated by insects.

I also had a phase in which I would wash my hands after touching anything because I was afraid of getting sick.

I currently have the fear of disasters randomly happening as well as a fear of being bombed by planes.
Not sure where the bombing one came from, but it's not that bad anymore
valiant-quest

Postby Sandstorm814 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:19 pm

bump
Image ImageImage
Sandstorm814

Postby TheTigersDen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:11 am

VictorianFlorist wrote:I have a great difficulty going into large cities and other places with high buildings. I don't have an issue with heights, I'm just really paranoid when it comes to buildings crashing down on top of me. -snip-

Some times when I go downtown and I'm surrounded by tall buildings I get an irrational fear that they will fall on me. It doesn't happen every time, like if I'm distracted talking to someone or I'm not completely surrounded on four sides I'm okay.

Another fear I have is when the floor shakes under me, like when there's very loud music. It might be because it reminds me of an earthquake or because when I was little I freaked out and started crying when I first experienced loud music to that degree. So I've put off going to a concert with my friend because I know I'll absolutely hate it.

Last ones are just spiders and creepy dolls. I can sometimes deal with spiders one my own especially little ones. But if's one of those Florida banana spiders forget it. My mom used to have dolls and I have always found them creepy. I really dislike being in a room with them where they are on display. Thankfully I convinced my mom to put her dolls away so I don't have to see them anymore.
I don't know the value of any pets, so I decline almost all trade sorry.
TheTigersDen

Postby Babypoke » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 am

Nyctophobia- I have always had a fear of darkness since I was little I would have nightmares and wet the bed now when I sleep I atleast have to have the bathroom light on and my cat sleep in bed with me. I always dread going outside in the dark in the fear of something attacking me or getting me even though I know there is nothing there.
I Hoard Chickens and foo dogs! I am active on eldemore I atleast check in daily
Babypoke

Previous

Return to General Discussion