Ridiculous Things You Thought As a Kid

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: Ridiculous Things You Thought As a Kid

Postby Zeno » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:38 am

Oh jeez...weird things I thought as a kid. Well...I have some interesting ones.

I fully 100% believed that there was this GIANT chasm under the ground. Like, the ground under you would break and you would fall into this endless chasm full of water and crocodiles and alligators, and it would be pitch black, and you would be doomed. All caves were pre-made, holes were pre-made and you HAD to be careful or else you would break the ground and be doomed.

I ALSO believed there was this thing called "Adultville" Where once you turned about...19/20ish you would go to this big town full of only adults like you. Parents weren't allowed because they lived with kids, and kids weren't allowed in Adultville and even in non-adultville stores and everything existed, and parents weren't allowed to talk about adultville. In Adultville all of the houses looked the same, except for their colors, everyone was responsible, had good jobs they loved, woke up early to get to said jobs. But once they got kids they had to leave adultville and live where the parents and kids lived.

....I was a very sheltered child. Didn't leave the house much except to go to school and occasionally the store.
Hiya! I'm just a weird, awkward excitable nerd
who just loves to make friends out of anyone and everyone~
So feel free to send me a PM about anything~
DA --- CS --- FelisFire --- FR --- CharaHub --- PokeFarmQ
Zeno

Postby ToyaKazaki » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:01 pm

I think mine's a pretty common one actually, or at least I've met a good amount of people who thought the same as a child.

And that was that the moon was following me.

I remember walking back home from a friends house after my dad had come to pick me, and looking up at the full moon and thinking, why does it follow me? Am I special? I also remember the slightly ominous, and curious feeling whenever I'd look to the moon and see it 'following' me.

I thought I was so cool, and unique because of it, and though I wanted to celebrate my uniqueness with others, and to boast about it, I also felt this weird possessive thing over it, so of course I never told anyone that the moon 'followed' me.

It wasn't until years later after I'd forgotten those notions that I'd found out how truly silly those thoughts were.

Click the button above.
ToyaKazaki

Postby Percifrax » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:03 pm

I believed that turkey was a plant and that wild turkeys were just some weird type of wild chicken. There's a turkey farm between my town and the nearest city, so my family drove by it a lot and my dad would always comment on them "growing turkeys" and I guess I interpreted that weirdly or something and filled in the holes with my imagination. I'm not sure how I realized that turkeys are animals, but it took me quite a long time.

ADDED: I also thought that a vegetarian was a profession in which you got paid not to eat meat
Flight RisingChickenSmoothie
He/him • ENFP • Team Mystic • Hufflepuff
Percifrax

Postby Startedraining » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:50 pm

When people said Sin City I always thought they were talking about Cincinati
╔═════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Helpful links!

Site and Forum Rules
Eldemore Lore & Info
Eldemore Trading Rules
Site Help
Report Glitches

The greatest thing you will
ever learn is to love and
to be loved in return

he/him please

╚═════════════╝
╔═════════════╗

Hey there! I have many nicknames.
Call me Star, Gargoyle, or Bones!
Find me elsewhere as Startedraining

╚═════════════╝
Startedraining

Postby Sphye » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:19 pm

I thought that the Nintendo 64 system had been invented in 1964, since my family had had one for as long as I could remember and since it didn't use disks like new systems did.
Pretty much anything that had been around for as long as I could remember had to be old, right? I didn't understand that the movies that I grew up with were only about as old as me, if not slightly younger, either.
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Giant Talking Banana » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:11 pm

I used to think that Amsterdam was in Turkey for some reason.

╔════════════╗

Hello! I'm Giant Talking Banana.
I'm not active anymore, but I like
to keep some stuff on my account
around just for memories' sake.
xxxxxxxx<- Sadgati
--------signature made by me--------

╚════════════╝
Giant Talking Banana

Postby Sphye » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:51 am

I used to pronounce "serpent", usually in the context of "sea serpent", as "serfent".
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Lucikan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:10 pm

I used to think when people said: "We'll play it by ear." when planning something, they said: "We'll play it by year."
So when we ended up getting together the next day, I was highly confused. XD
Lucikan

Postby kloppo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:42 pm

Giant Talking Banana wrote:I used to think that Amsterdam was in Turkey for some reason.

I thought that too!! weird

Also that earwigs would crawl and live in your ears :3
ImageImageImage
kloppo

Postby Silverhart » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:32 pm

As a kid I had a habit of pronouncing non-English names in ways that made zero sense but with complete and utter confidence, owing probably to how fast I read things. I don't like to disrupt the rhythm while reading, so I would grab some of the letters of a name and make a pronunciation up that fit the flow, sometimes ignoring or replacing certain letters or syllables. In fact, I still do this, but it's less obvious since I've learned a lot more pronunciations, especially foreign pronunciations. But regardless, these strange pronunciations still stuck.

And so, with that in mind, let me relate to you, the story of Fudgeo.

So do you guys remember 'Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron'? Of course you all do. I loved that movie when it came out, and one Christmas I got the PC game. In it you meet various horses who join Spirit's herd, and one of those horses is named Fuego, which is Spanish for 'fire'. But when I played the game I was just a young kid and didn't know a lick of Spanish, and most of the other horses names were things I recognized like Shadow and Clara. So when I first met Fuego and was trying to decipher his name I was like "Fu - Fug... Fudge! Fudgeo!" (Pronounced like "fudge", but with an "oh" at the end. Originally I think I pronounced it Fudge-EE-oh, but it rapidly devolved into Fudge-oh because I thought it sounded funnier.)

And so, Fudgeo came to be. And I thought "fuego" was pronounced like fudge, but with an "oh".

While I was looking it up to confirm the spelling, it seems people apparently think Fudgeo is a mare, but I always though Fudgeo was a stallion, specifically I thought he was the grey stallion with the blue circle around his eye in the movie. I say 'thought', but to me he is 100% my Fudgeo always and forever more, and he's my favorite character. And I'm telling you all this because I was watching 'Spirit' today and shouted, "It's Fudgeo!" at the screen, to the odd looks of all around me, but they're just not as cool as me. Or not as bad at pronouncing Spanish as I am. One or the other.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion