Closed, needs deleted or locked.

A place to chat and discuss anything outside of Eldemore.

Re: Reptile discussion thread v.1

Postby Grifforik » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:28 pm

OwnedByCats wrote:I just went outside and the place is crawling in five-lined skinks (or, as I tend to call them blue tailed skinks). They are all over the place. We always have some around, but, I have never seen so many at one time. Was kinda cool though, I saw one with a huge bug in it's mouth. I even took one out of the filter basket in the pool. Fortunately it hadn't drowned yet, but, it did kinda freak out with me trying to get it out of basket and it dropped his tail. At least it is still alive and the tail will always grow back. I didn't feel near as bad about that as I felt when I found a baby box turtle in the filter. Luckily for him I got him before he drowned too.

Yeah, we had the same problem at my dads with animals getting into the pool. I think we ended up having to check it like 4 times a day just in case XD
Also... d'awe! Baby box turtles are really rare here, and sooo cute! Also.. I love skinks XD
Grifforik

Postby OwnedByCats » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Griff, we have box turtles all over the place...you can come visit them anytime you wish to. :-) The only thing I really worry about around here is stumbling over a copper head. My daughter got badly bitten by one a year or so ago and it was pretty grim.
ImageImageImage
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?” ~ Stephen Wright
OwnedByCats

Postby Hyensa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:52 pm

OwnedByCats wrote:I just went outside and the place is crawling in five-lined skinks (or, as I tend to call them blue tailed skinks). They are all over the place. We always have some around, but, I have never seen so many at one time. Was kinda cool though, I saw one with a huge bug in it's mouth. I even took one out of the filter basket in the pool. Fortunately it hadn't drowned yet, but, it did kinda freak out with me trying to get it out of basket and it dropped his tail. At least it is still alive and the tail will always grow back. I didn't feel near as bad about that as I felt when I found a baby box turtle in the filter. Luckily for him I got him before he drowned too.

That's so nice of you to help them! Most people wouldn't so you should be proud of yourself. Box turtles are really fun to run into. Copperheads though... No thank you.
Hyensa

Postby interestingword » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:54 pm

OwnedByCats wrote:Griff, we have box turtles all over the place...you can come visit them anytime you wish to. :-) The only thing I really worry about around here is stumbling over a copper head. My daughter got badly bitten by one a year or so ago and it was pretty grim.

Q.Q
I wish to visit. Definitely.

ooh, I've met rattlesnakes (charming little fellows, not at all aggressive to us until provoked), but being bitten by a Timber rattler or a copperhead isn't anything I'd like, or anything I'd want anyone to go through.
still here, still here

howdy! my name is Sting
podcast fiend, dungeon master
and wildlife ecology major~
my fave pronouns are he/??

ask me about snakes!

mkairalla1 is my parabatai!
Gwen is my argent buddy!
interestingword

Postby Hyensa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:58 pm

I was planning on owning venomous reptiles, but never snakes that could inject me with anything.
Hyensa

Postby interestingword » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:00 pm

mm. Not many other venomous ones, are there? I mean, I've heard the theory that all snakes produce venom but not all can inject it, but then any snake you own could be called venomous.
what I really want is a poisonous snake, so I could use it for educational purposes. But getting a specimen of that species may prove to be very hard.
still here, still here

howdy! my name is Sting

ask me about snakes!

Gwen is my argent buddy!
interestingword

Postby Hyensa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:11 pm

In some places, you have to own a license to have venomous reptiles.

It isn't as hard as you think to obtain a legal venomous / poisonous snake, they are for sale almost everywhere.
    You'd have to check and see if your area allows them, however.

In this group on facebook 11,000+ people post pictures and discuss their venomous & poisonous collections.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/34273208781/
Hyensa

Postby interestingword » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:19 pm

well, according to the local herp society, poisonous snakes are banned. They meant venomous if course, the group organizer knows that, but being silly little people they banned the wrong kind of toxin. I don't wish to have a venomous snake, no, too dangerous considering I am a mere teenager with other pets to look after, but a truly poisonous snake would be wonderful to have.
my problem isn't the laws and regulations and such, it's actually GETTING one of those darn things.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdophis
still here, still here

howdy! my name is Sting

ask me about snakes!

Gwen is my argent buddy!
interestingword

Postby Hyensa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:24 pm

That snake is gorgeous. ;n;
Hyensa

Postby OwnedByCats » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:10 pm

That snake IS stunning! Copperheads are just plain mean. They will bite just so they can laugh about it. When my daughter got bit the ER docs made her take a pair of crutches and she told them she couldn't use them as she had just had a C-section two days before. She asked for a wheel chair and they blew it off as though she ought to be fine with crutches. Grrrrr. Well, I don't want to get off topic but, that is just something that STILL makes me mad.

I will always look out for little critters. Always have, always will. I am a one person turtle rescue unit too. I have been known to stop my car and block traffic until a turtle makes it across the road too. If its a box turtle I will pick it up and help it along...a snapper just gets traffic blocked and it has to make the trip on its own. lol
ImageImageImage
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?” ~ Stephen Wright
OwnedByCats

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion