Books!

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Re: Books!

Postby Polly44 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Silverhart wrote:I just finished reading "The Scorpio Races" by Maggie Stiefvater. It was fantastic. Of course, I'm a sucker for anything involving waterhorses. XP Definitely going to be giving some of her other books a look.

Ah, you have piqued my interest there. Just looked it up and i must admit i am interested in that one. Might have to get it myself. :)
And i should be getting more room for books, as dad bought home a lovely large bookcase yesterday and my current one is packed with so many books i have had to put some of my lesser liked books in a box in my room and it's a lot smaller too. xD So hopefully will have room for even more with this new bookcase we are sorting out tomorrow! Whoop! :D
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Silverhart » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:55 pm

I have "Raven Boys" on my shelf back home, and that's probably next on my list. I sort of bumped it up a little higher on the list seeing as how good "Scorpio Races" was. XD

For some reason I always confuse "Pillars of the Earth" with "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". Neither of which I have read, or can give my opinion on. I would be interested in reading both.

I'm pretty far behind in the 'Iron Druid' series. I'm reading "Tricked" right now - couldn't remember the name of it when I posted because it was already packed. XP I read it all through the plane ride - it was hilarious taking off, since I was screaming every third word silently in my head and had my eyes fixed on it. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to take offs. XP

"Orlando" on the other hand is... interesting. I only picked it up because it was on a favorite author's reading list, and because who's afraid of Virginia Woolf - not me! XP The back of the book doesn't really tell me much, though I have an inkling of what twist it's about to take...

Oh Star... would that I too could fit all my books in a single bookshelf, or even two. But alas. XP

Speaking of, not sure if I shared this story here, but several months ago I went to a furniture store looking for a new bookshelf and the guy told me "no one reads books anymore". I stared at him, eye twitching, and walked out.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Polly44 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Silverhart wrote:Oh Star... would that I too could fit all my books in a single bookshelf, or even two. But alas. XP

Speaking of, not sure if I shared this story here, but several months ago I went to a furniture store looking for a new bookshelf and the guy told me "no one reads books anymore". I stared at him, eye twitching, and walked out.

Haha, my book hoarding obsession is evidently not that bad then, as i managed to fit them all on my two bookshelves and i have plenty of room for a while anyways! Now to buy even more books, mwhahahahaha!

Ooooooo, it drives me nuts when people say that! Plenty of people read books, not that i know many people who do, but that's beside the point. Or when people say "Get a Kindle" IT'S NOT THE BLASTED SAME!!!!! Sorry, i get a bit crazy about this, lol. But it's seriously not the same. I hate Kindle's and others like that with a passion. I get that they are good and practical in some cases, but it's still not the same. And some of them have a page turning feature thing i believe- well why don't you get an actual book then, huh?
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby Silverhart » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Polly44 wrote:
Ooooooo, it drives me nuts when people say that! Plenty of people read books, not that i know many people who do, but that's beside the point. Or when people say "Get a Kindle" IT'S NOT THE BLASTED SAME!!!!! Sorry, i get a bit crazy about this, lol. But it's seriously not the same. I hate Kindle's and others like that with a passion. I get that they are good and practical in some cases, but it's still not the same. And some of them have a page turning feature thing i believe- well why don't you get an actual book then, huh?

You are preaching to the choir! XD I once wrote a very long rant about "e-readers" when they were first catching on.

It seriously isn't the same by any means. A book is an experience. From the smell of it, to the weight of it in your hands. Personally, I find screens to be very distracting. Unless I'm actively doing something on them my attention wanders. And on big blocks of text my eyes tend to feel the strain. But give me a book and I'll happily read for hours. And there have been studies done that show that lack of focus isn't uncommon with screens.

Also - I just love the way books look. I would enjoy collecting books for no other reason then aesthetics, like how some people collect stamps or figurines. I love how covers look and feel, I like the designs used on books (and trying to decipher what the book is about based on clues, like the cover design, the size, etc.), I like feeling the material it's made out of, feeling the heft of the pages, and smelling the ink and paper. Ah - if heaven has a smell it's probably that of books (or cotton candy - one or the other probably). Looking at a bookshelf you can see physical books have personality to them - there are some that are friendly, others are aloof, some are austere and serious, and other's like to pretend being serious, some are loud and busy, and some are quiet and overlooked, but I love 'em all. XP

I do understand how this technology can potentially enhance a book reading experience - making a story interactive to teach children in a fun way, or to help teach students. But just reading on a screen, when there are perfectly good paper books around. No thanks! Plus - you can't hug an e-book. XP *hugs books*
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby scmarshtacky » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:57 am

I'm currently reading a book called Six of Crows. The title itself caught my attention because, well, anything with the word 'crow' in it piques my interest these days. XD

I'm not finished with it yet, probably about 3/4 of the way through it, but I'm really enjoying it. In short, it centers around a group of outcasts and thieves that are trying to get into an impenetrable fortress called the Ice Court. They're an interesting lot to be sure, with a lot of history that the book is more than eager to explore. I'm actually not used to so much backstory from all characters, but it's woven in quite well and isn't so long winded that I became bored.

The book does change viewpoints every chapter, which I usually absolutely hate, but again, it's actually done well enough that I don't have a problem with it. It stays in third person, and mostly keeps the action and characters all in once place, just describing it from a different viewpoint.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am your friendly Eld moderator,
here to assist all Eldemorians with
their general needs. Feel free to
send me a message at any time
to ask questions or chat. ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

Postby SkieNight » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 pm

scmarshtacky wrote:I'm currently reading a book called Six of Crows. The title itself caught my attention because, well, anything with the word 'crow' in it piques my interest these days. XD

I'm not finished with it yet, probably about 3/4 of the way through it, but I'm really enjoying it. In short, it centers around a group of outcasts and thieves that are trying to get into an impenetrable fortress called the Ice Court. They're an interesting lot to be sure, with a lot of history that the book is more than eager to explore. I'm actually not used to so much backstory from all characters, but it's woven in quite well and isn't so long winded that I became bored.

The book does change viewpoints every chapter, which I usually absolutely hate, but again, it's actually done well enough that I don't have a problem with it. It stays in third person, and mostly keeps the action and characters all in once place, just describing it from a different viewpoint.

Finally!! Someone is reading Six of Crows! It's actually one of my favorite books, I just finished the sequel, Crooked Kingdoms. I have so many feelings about that book, probably because I love Leigh Bardugo, the author, and she's kind of everything I aspire to be as a writer. I'm excited to hear what you think of the end and then the book as a whole.

Hiding under sheets with the news on repeat
'Cause the screams and cries are hard to delete
While I'm trying to sleep, oh how could I sleep?
Laying in bed, trying to empty my head
All these acts of violence ripping this world to shreds
While I'm trying to sleep, oh how could I sleep?

Wish there were words to say to make a change
Oh, the words to sing to end this suffering

Let's start a revolution where we all stand as one
Cause we need to make a change for a new day
We need to be the generation that’ll awaken a solution
Cause we need to make a change
Make a change, make a change for a new day

~MisterWives

______________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SkieNight

Postby Sarill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Ooh, I've read six of crows and really enjoyed it! Kin recommended it to me, and also lent me the second book, which I liked as well. I couldn't really get into the author's first series though. It just didn't hold my attention that well.

The Iron Druid books are so hilarious, while at the same time being engaging and good story telling. They remind me a bit of Good Omens in that way, actually.

And people want to talk about lots of books? Well, I have four bookshelves at home, and all of them are double-stacked and can't fit anything else. Three of them have three shelves, and one has four. Two of the bookshelves are piled with a crooked hill of books, and the bookcase in my room has a stack of books next to it that's about four feet tall. And there's another stack in front of that one that's about 3 1/2 feet. Getting something from the bottom of the back shelf is an adventure. I'd post pictures, but I'm nowhere near home right now, but it's impressive. And slightly terrifying.

I'm also a fan of physical books, but I do use e-readers occasionally, like for those little novellas that are only available that way, or books that I can't find physical copies of. One thing that's nice is that you can type in the title and immediately have the book you are looking for, instead of spending 30 minutes looking for a book only to realize that it was on your dresser the entire time. (That's happened to me too many times.) It's also nice to not have 20 lbs worth of books in your bag when you're traveling, but I bring physical books anyway, because I can.
Deo <3
Sarill

Postby Death&Ruin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:43 pm

I didn't have much time or energy for reading recently - I've been learning non-stop for my exams D: I did manage to finish A Natural History of Dragons and The Tropic of Serpents, though, and only have two chapters left before I finish the third installment, the Voyage of The Basilisk. I'm really enjoying this series; I love how the dragons are portrayed as normal animals who have adapted to a certain environment, and there's just a certain something about the writing that keeps me hooked, though I couldn't say what it is.

As for having a lot of books ... I don't have as much as other people, but I'd say that 130+ books is still a respectable number. Of course I've read more than that! I don't have much room for books, though, so I had to sell or throw some of them out (some were in such a bad shape that selling them would've been impossible). I also own a few e-books, but I do prefer physical ones. I need the smell and texture of a real book to have a full reading experience - plus I'm usually much more focused and concentrated when reading a physical copy of a book than it's e-book counterpart.

I do have to admit, though, that I've been getting more and more e-books recently. I just don't known where to put my books anymore (no room left D:) and e-books don't take up any space in my room, so that's quite convenient. Not to mention that there's a number of classics out there for free ~
Death&Ruin

Postby scmarshtacky » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:28 pm

SkieNight wrote:Finally!! Someone is reading Six of Crows! It's actually one of my favorite books, I just finished the sequel, Crooked Kingdoms. I have so many feelings about that book, probably because I love Leigh Bardugo, the author, and she's kind of everything I aspire to be as a writer. I'm excited to hear what you think of the end and then the book as a whole.

Ahh the ending. *rolls around* I need to get my hands on the sequel now. Like, right now.

Spoilers
Honestly, Van Eck. What the heck are you even thinking? This is definitely going to end so badly for you. So badly. The fact that Kaz went to Rollins of all people has to mean he's desperate and Saints help anyone that crosses his path when he gets desperate. I also hope Nina is going to be just fine. I really ended up liking her character by the end.

I loved the book as a whole! I felt in the middle, it got just a little bit slow with all of the backstories, but they were all relevant, seamlessly woven in, and what better way to pass time on a ship than to explore the characters' pasts. I love the way Kaz puts people into play - like setting up the chess board and playing out the perfect moves. XP Watching all of the pieces move into place is truly enjoyable.

I am your friendly Eld moderator,
here to assist all Eldemorians with
their general needs. Feel free to
send me a message at any time
to ask questions or chat. ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

Postby Skeseth » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Sarill wrote:Ooh, I've read six of crows and really enjoyed it! Kin recommended it to me, and also lent me the second book, which I liked as well. I couldn't really get into the author's first series though. It just didn't hold my attention that well.

I have also recently finished both Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom (got them as Xmas secret santa gifts). I thoroughly enjoyed Six of Crows. Crooked Kingdom was a good sequel but did not feel as exciting for me as the first. I guess the surprise had worn off. However, I have added the author's first trilogy onto my wishlist. Can you give me maybe reasons how it didn't hold your attention, Sarill? Is it switching personalities, slower paced, etc? I was looking forward to buying them sometime but I'm all for putting them on the backburner too lol

I have been subscribed to a YA monthly box, always surprised by the titles, but the last two months have really put me off of books in general. There was the absolutely terrible Ever the Hunted and right now I'm really struggling to finish Frostblood. I suppose I'm just no longer that interested in series that are not finished, for one, and immediately puts me off of a novel.

As for books... I have way too many and they're usually found all over the house outside of my library room. 3.5 bookcases full already and I consistently take old books to my used bookstore for trade credit lol
Please PM if you have questions or need help
Skeseth
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment