Books!

Talk about movies, books, games, comics, anime, TV, or any other fandoms.

Re: Books!

Postby Silverhart » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Danafox wrote:Oh no I never said the reading level is below me....it's just a bit embarrassing to be caught reading those things as an adult...People give you weird looks....other times they think I'm looking at them for kids of my own and it's funny when they try to fish for conversation about such and then I have to say...I don't have kids...lol....Yeah I hate those awkward situations. :mrgreen: I dunno...I just always find myself asking...what am I suppose to be reading for fun...so many books...so much unknowns...so then I ask for suggestions hoping to find something that will interest me in books again.

I can relate to that awkward feeling. I always sort of have to psych myself up before I plunge into the children's section. I've never had anyone approach me about it however - and it's usually the kids who give me the curious looks, not adults - who unless they have very young kids seem to avoid the place like the plague. XD You could always tell them you're looking for a book for a younger relative - such as a cousin. XP
Personally I just like how the children's section looks in my book stores and libraries. They're always so colorful and light - not that I don't also like the dark musty bookshelves as well, but there's so many nice displays in the children's section, and the books are in all different sizes, styles, and bindings. It's fun to browse shelves with so much variety, and it's easy to find the most popular or newest releases.

I've also gone browsing the children's section with a graphic designer friend and just gathering piles of picture books and ogling over all the pretty art - so you could also use the excuse of looking for inspiration. XP

Startedraining wrote:
I never got into the Eragon books. What have I been missing out on? :/

Dragons. Pretty much dragons. XP Your typical fantasy, but with dragons, and a few other fun little things. Oh, and riding the dragons. You get to ride the dragons. Outside of dragons, I guess the great side characters and world building are what personally drew me in - like I never cared much for Eragon himself, but I adored near about every other human character in that series - Brom, Murtagh, Nasuada, Roran, Jeod, Angela, Orrin. That one guy in that one town, who said that one thing - yeah, he was great. And Saphira the dragon, of course. I always found their stories far more interesting to be honest. XP

Polly44 wrote:
I found the last Eragon book very lacking as well. Not quite sure in what, but it just felt........rather meh and it left half the questions unanswered as well which i found very disappointing.

I completely agree! I couldn't tell you either what exactly was missing without rereading it. The ending was just completely unsatisfying - I feel like the author maybe took on too much plot-wise, and was not quite prepared to tie it all together in a conclusion that left a reader fully satisfied.

Also, I think I've read that 'Fire-bringer' book, and did not enjoy it. A review said it was like 'Watership Down', but with deer, so I had gotten my hopes up, only to find that was a gross exaggeration. I don't even know what happened in that book, I remember so little except disliking it. If I went in with lower expectations maybe I would've enjoyed it more.

'Watership Down' is another great recommendation, now that I think about it. I've been yearning to reread it, but my copy appears to be lost. It is an animal fantasy - but even if you dislike animal fantasy, it's definitely worth a read. It is by far my favorite animal story, and certainly up there on my list of favorites. Nowadays if you read a lot of animal stories they seem to follow a lot of trends that were set by 'Watership Down'. You might find it in the classics section, as I did, but occasionally I believe it's labeled as a children's book - being about rabbits it seems to automatically be thrown into the children's section, but I can assure you it is not for kids, and the author never meant it as a story specifically for children. Certainly, you could read and enjoy it as a child, but there's a lot more you can get out of it when you're older. Plus - it's just an awesome adventure story. XP
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Polly44 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:55 pm

@Startedraining-
Yeah, Dragons are pretty much it to be honest. I've not found very many books with a decent focus on Dragons. At least not in the way the Inheritance Cycle does anyways. The characters are alright. Brom is the best, with Saphira second and Angela a close third. Personally i find most of the others rather meh. xD I think it's the world that interested me the most. Alagasia does sound like an epic place.

@Silverhart-
Same here- i think i've only read it once, but i've read Eragon and Brisingr a few times each and as such i can't really recall Inheritance very well. xD I don't actually know if it's anything like Watership Down, as i have never read the latter and so cannot compare. However i would be interested in reading it. Might have to see if i can get my hands on a copy. I don't remember seeing the film for it either, so would be interesting to read it.
Edit- And yup, i think the author did take too much on and didn't tie off the loose ends at all/very well. Which is supremely irritating when one waits like 3 years for the book "with all the answers" to come out. I was hoping for another book...well part of me was, but not so much anymore. While i would like to know, i just don't care as much as i used to.

I've got another book to recommend as well. Been trying to think of it's name for the past 20 minutes, lol.
Dragonriders of Pern.
I've only read it once and i can't really remember what happened, but i was hooked for a few days, so it must have been pretty decent.
ImageImageImage

My Chicken Smoothie Account:
Polly44
My UK & International Howrse
Account:

Polly4 (UK) Polly4 (International)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Polly44

Postby LaurelLeaf » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:47 pm

If any of you like fantasy worldbuilding boks with realistic werewolves I can recomend the series Wariwulf by Bryan Perro. It's a bit graphic though... and in french (I haven't found an english copy online, but I think that's because I'm in a french region)
LaurelLeaf

Postby rose; » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:25 pm

Speaking of fire-bringer, which I read and remember really liking?, the same author wrote The Sight, and Fell which were wolf fantasy and really good, I remember anyway. I've never read watership down, I've never gotten a straight explanation of it so I've never felt the pull towards it.
I also remember reading a book that I can't remember the name of, and its been bothering me for some time. I remember reading the book and then watching it as a cartoon like movie on youtube in separate videos and it was two dogs as the main characters, and they had escaped from a facility where they illegally tested on dogs and so one had a metal plate in its skull? and they were traveling and yeah, that's all I remember. does it sound familiar to anyone else? I need to know the name of it
just gifting out my collection. no longer really have time.
rose;

Postby Silverhart » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:23 pm

rose; wrote:Speaking of fire-bringer, which I read and remember really liking?, the same author wrote The Sight, and Fell which were wolf fantasy and really good, I remember anyway. I've never read watership down, I've never gotten a straight explanation of it so I've never felt the pull towards it.
I also remember reading a book that I can't remember the name of, and its been bothering me for some time. I remember reading the book and then watching it as a cartoon like movie on youtube in separate videos and it was two dogs as the main characters, and they had escaped from a facility where they illegally tested on dogs and so one had a metal plate in its skull? and they were traveling and yeah, that's all I remember. does it sound familiar to anyone else? I need to know the name of it

That would be 'The Plague Dogs'. Very disturbing, but beautiful film in my opinion. The book is by the same author of 'Watership Down', and I believe the same production company behind the 'Watership Down' film did the animation for that film. I've never been able to bring myself to read the book, though I have seen the film. The film shatters me to pieces, so the book, though I do want to read it, I am dreading for that reason.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Aliria » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Has anyone read Because You'll Never Meet Me? Because if you haven't, go out and find it right now. That book is too amazing for anybody not to read.

It's about two teenage boys who are pen pals, and both have very strange medical problems. It starts out seeming mostly like realistic fiction, but it's definitely not.

The writing is beautiful, the characters are incredible, and it's so hard to put down I had to stay up later than I ever have before to finish it. Even the romance isn't painful to read. The ending is a bit lacking, but with how great the rest of the book is, it hardly matters.
If you want to contact me for some reason, I'm much more active on CS than Eld. Here's a link to my CS account.
Aliria

Postby rose; » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Silverhart wrote:
rose; wrote:Speaking of fire-bringer, which I read and remember really liking?, the same author wrote The Sight, and Fell which were wolf fantasy and really good, I remember anyway. I've never read watership down, I've never gotten a straight explanation of it so I've never felt the pull towards it.

That would be 'The Plague Dogs'. Very disturbing, but beautiful film in my opinion. The book is by the same author of 'Watership Down', and I believe the same production company behind the 'Watership Down' film did the animation for that film. I've never been able to bring myself to read the book, though I have seen the film. The film shatters me to pieces, so the book, though I do want to read it, I am dreading for that reason.

Oh my god I could kiss you right now because hallelujah I finally have a name for that book and I just kind of want to dance around because it's no longer just eating at me
I don't remember the movie, really, other than what I posted but I need to go read the book like right now
just gifting out my collection. no longer really have time.
rose;

Postby RainbowFinch » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:22 am

I have decided to try reading Raven Boys again, and finish the series because I found out something about a character and I need to support fantasy novels including this. But the author isn't a fave of mine, I only really liked Scorpio Races, but I will try again!!! Now that it is finished, it might be better as I go through the series. Sometimes first books are just set ups.
ImageImageImageImage
- He/Him or They/Them Pronouns Please -
RainbowFinch

Postby RebelliousWinter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:08 pm

This thread is amazing! Just what I needed! Thank you @Sarill, for this wondrous thread, to talk about my favorite thing - Books!

Anyway, I'm a really avid reader. Total bookworm. I'll read nearly every genre, but my particular favorites are Historical Romances, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Adventure novels! Unfortunately what I lack is material to read. We have alot of books in our house (Unfortunately I've read the majority of them) however I plow through them so fast, there's never enough to go around. I personally despise re-reading. Sometime's it's fun to do, but for the most part I avoid it. I already know what happens (I have a keen memory for these things) so re-reading what I already know is a bit boring. It also take's away all the surprise and anticipation that was there when reading a shocking to suspenseful scene for the first time.

So while I can't always have physical books around to read. I've come across an amazing website where author's can write their stories, publish them, and have reader's comment and vote on the stories, for FREE!

It's called
    Wattpad. It's a really good site. (Although it's recommended your of an older age, as some stories can have more mature content. Must be 13+ to join.) I've been there since 2015.
    Wattpad's been an amazing site for me to go to, when I don't have any physical reading material to read.
    Some of my favorites on there are:

Paladin - By @SallySlater (PG13, there's some gore in it as it's about fighting waves of demons. And slightly mature scenes.)
    Zara's Wolf - By @JoFlower (Fairly safe book, the ones that follow it are PG13 though)
    Myths In Finding Love Series - By @AerithSage (This is a more mature book)
    Bad Luck - By @liliancarmine (This is a very safe book to read!)

When I'm not on Wattpad some of my favorite books/series to read are:

Warrior Cat Series - By Erin Hunter
    Wings Of Fire - By Tui T. Sutherland
    Canterwood Crest - By Jessica Burkhart

And many more!
RebelliousWinter

Postby Sany » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:33 am

Silverhart wrote:

I was absolutely obsessed with the tv-show Watership Down as a kid! Hence the name of my jackalope hoard haha. I didn't know it was based off a book though, really tempted to read the book now!

I also really recommend the Odd Thomas books. It's a great fantasy/crime series with a great amount of humor (the kind that makes you laugh out loud on the train). The first book is made into a film too, which was a really impressive adaptation in my opinion!

F O L L O W lalaY O U R lala D R E A M S

My Hoards
♥ Jackalopes
♥ Stage 1 Otterlings
♥ Cuttlefish
♥ Stage 1 Foo Dogs
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
lalalalalala
Haiia, I'm your average Eldemore addict!
I love all sorts of art, such as music,
crochet, photography and painting!
In real life, I'm a busy PhD student
and teaching assistent in medical sciences.
Oh, did I mention I'm a total Eld addict? ♥

lalalalalalalalalaT H E Y lala K N O W lala T H E lala W A Y
Sany

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment