Trivia Lovers!

Form clubs, armies, and have discussions centered around your favorite subjects.

Re: Trivia Lovers!

Postby Sphye » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:52 pm

scmarshtacky wrote:
Silverhart wrote:Fun fact I just learned: The Eiffel Tower is 6 inches taller in summer. How wonderfully weird! XD

That's really cool! Must be due to the expansion of the materials they built it with in the heat. Neat~

I think I've read or heard that before, and I'm pretty sure that's exactly the reason. ^u^
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby scmarshtacky » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:18 pm

A fun little tidbit about contraction/expansion:
Water behaves normally - contracting when cooled, expanding when heated - between 0-4 degrees Celsius, but outside of that temperature range, subtracting heat makes it expand and adding heat causes it to contract. This is why pipes will bust in the winter.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am your friendly Eld moderator,
here to assist all Eldemorians with
their general needs. Feel free to
send me a message at any time
to ask questions or chat. ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
scmarshtacky

Postby sergio. » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Username: thunderpetal
What is one of your favorite facts? I like the fact where a day is actually 23 hours and 56 minutes long!
Do you like to play trivia games, or merely stash away information for yourself? Hm, not sure.
Other? Uh, hi!

Codeword so I can find them if things get a little busy.

I know I need more stuff in my signature

dA | instagram | pf| CS| friendo | tumblr
5/8/15 Goodbye my lovely little kitty, rest in piece and may you walk in StarClan. <3
you can call me Sergio, I really like horses and cats
Image Image Image Image
omg rafinha everywhere

hi welcome to chilli's
sergio.

Postby Pen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:20 am

Username:
What is one of your favorite facts? You can be badly poisoned by potatoes. The whole potato plant is laced with solanine, although the sprouts and green tubers contain the most. This is the reason you don't leave potatoes in the sun, as it will sprout and the amount of solanine is concentrated to ward off insects.

You may be aware of the deadly European black nightshade (Solanum nigrum) part of the Solanaceae family, of which potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) and tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum) are also a member of.

Your mash and ketchup are both examples of poisonous foods we eat regularly.

Do you like to play trivia games, or merely stash away information for yourself? I mostly like to stash it away
Other? hi
ImageImage
-PEN-

|Any pronouns|
|Asexual|
|Questioning Romanticism|

I like to draw things on occasion.

"Illuminaughty"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pen

Postby Poppy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:41 am

Username:
Verdandi

What is one of your favorite facts?
The largest known object in the universe is a black hole that is approximately 1.8 billion light years across. I'm very scared.

Do you like to play trivia games, or merely stash away information for yourself?
Both! ^-^

Other?
Bibbeliboop ovo
Looking for:

| he/him or she/her pronouns pls | xenogender |
| infp | klipspringer dæmon | bison therian |
| gnoll otherkin | ben 10 fictionkind |
• • •
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Poppy

Postby Secret » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Username:
Secret

What is one of your favourite facts?
MOST natural poisons (such as deadly nightshade, wolfsbane and belladonna - to name a few well known ones) usually have to be taken in absurdly large doses or regularly to harm you. Deadly nightshade is the poison found in potatoes, carrots and other plants that form underground (albeit in small quantities). Belladonna is fairly famous considering how it was used as make up in Victorian times due to it's affect on the pupils of our eyes. Wolfsbane is also known as Aconitum, and is probably my 'favourite.'

I would like to mention that different sub-species of plants have different toxicities, and that generally poisoning yourself isn't the greatest way to go. It's slow, and you'll spend months in pain.

Do you like to play trivia games, or merely stash away information for yourself?
My guild on World of Warcraft regurlarly does trivia games based off random things. Apart from that I just stash away information.

Other?
Currently have roughly 50 pages of information on dragon mythology, some pages on poisonous plants (a lot of which - surprisingly - are found in my garden O_o which is a little spooky)

ImageImage
Secret

Previous

Return to Fans, Clubs, and Armies