Trivia Lovers!

Form clubs, armies, and have discussions centered around your favorite subjects.

Trivia Lovers!

Postby Sphye » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Do you love to learn borderline-useless tidbits of information, or to share little fun-facts? Here's a club to share and discuss those trivial pieces of knowledge!

Joining Form wrote:
Code: Select all
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]What is one of your favorite facts?[/b]
[b]Do you like to play trivia games, or merely stash away information for yourself?[/b]
[b]Other?[/b]
[color=transparent][size=50]Codeword so I can find them if things get a little busy.[/size][/color]
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Re: Trivia Lovers!

Postby Sphye » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:56 pm

by ebriose.

♪♪♪

Postby Sphye » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Username: Sphye
What is one of your favorite facts? A gargoyle is technically only a gargoyle if it is connected to the gutters of a structure. It is called a Grotesque otherwise.
Do you like to play trivia games, or merely stash away information for yourself? I typically just hold on to information, and then tell anyone who'll listen.
Other?

Codeword so I can find them if things get a little busy.
by ebriose.

♪♪♪

Postby Silverhart » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Username: Silverhart
What is one of your favorite facts? I have a ton but, one of the more interesting I learned recently: The word 'huh' is universal. All languages have the word 'huh' or an almost identical word that means the same thing. There you go - you can now speak at least one word in every language on earth. XD

Also, did you know dogs (more specifically sled dogs) are the fastest land mammals over distance? ^^

Oh, I'm just choke full of interesting and pointless tidbits and stories. XP Although... you asked for one fact, and I guess I just shared two facts... whoops, now I guess I shared three. XD I'll stop now.
Do you like to play trivia games, or merely stash away information for yourself? Mostly just stash them away, for when they may come in handy. Although I do enjoy a trivia game if it's a subject I'm knowledgeable about. I used to be really good at Disney trivia. XP
Other?
You should always try to learn at least one new thing a day - that's what I live by. Even if it's completely pointless. You never know when pointless information could help you out. Or at the very least impress your friends and random strangers.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Sphye » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Ooh, I like those facts, Silverhart! I've added you to the list. ^u^

I wonder what other words are very similar throughout languages? I know that the word for mother is nearly always something beginning with an "M" sound.
by ebriose.

♪♪♪

Postby Silverhart » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Very true. There's so many interesting facts about language. It's always fascinated me. ^^

So do we just share random bits of trivia we come across in this little club?

I've got one: did you know you have at least 100 trillion neural connections in your brain right now? That's more connections then there are stars in our Milky Way galaxy (which is about 100 billion)!

Expanding on this (and making you feel even awesomer XP) it took 82,944 processors 40 minutes to simulate 1 second of human brain activity. Your brain does more in a single second then the greatest supercomputers can do in 40 minutes. I suggest everyone now point at their computer screen and laugh at it. Ha ha ha! Today's computers are so slow and dumb! Ha ha! (But let's be sure we don't do this in 50 years when artificial intelligence technology grants computers the power of emotion and free thought XD).
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Silverhart

Postby Sphye » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Silverhart wrote:Very true. There's so many interesting facts about language. It's always fascinated me. ^^

So do we just share random bits of trivia we come across in this little club?

I've got one: did you know you have at least 100 trillion neural connections in your brain right now? That's more connections then there are stars in our Milky Way galaxy (which is about 100 billion)!

Expanding on this (and making you feel even awesomer XP) it took 82,944 processors 40 minutes to simulate 1 second of human brain activity. Your brain does more in a single second then the greatest supercomputers can do in 40 minutes. I suggest everyone now point at their computer screen and laugh at it. Ha ha ha! Today's computers are so slow and dumb! Ha ha! (But let's be sure we don't do this in 50 years when artificial intelligence technology grants computers the power of emotion and free thought XD).

Yes indeed, you can share whatever facts you want to, and/or discuss them and add your own thoughts.

That's so fun to know! Did you know that a galaxy exists that is so large that scientists are puzzled at how it can even exist, given the estimated age of the universe? Here's an article about it from the NASA site.

Edit: Another thing I feel like sharing!
Has anyone ever heard the word "callipygian"? It's pronounced as "kal-uh-pij-ee-un", and it is an adjective meaning "having a shapely buttocks". That's right, now you too can have a fancy-and-sophisticated-sounding word for "nice butt"!
by ebriose.

♪♪♪

Postby scmarshtacky » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:18 pm

Username: scmarshtacky
What is one of your favorite facts? Almost everything you think of as a vegetable is actually a fruit. Anything that comes from a flower, including corn, peas, peppers, cucumbers, ect. is a fruit. So when people say, "eat your fruits and vegetables" they really mean, eat your fruits and maybe have a vegetable on the side.

Do you like to play trivia games, or merely stash away information for yourself? I stash it away. Mostly all of it is information I had to know from some test somewhere down the line. But I do enjoy watching Jeopardy if that counts.

Other? Be prepared to be bombarded by random science facts. XD

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am your friendly Eld moderator,
here to assist all Eldemorians with
their general needs. Feel free to
send me a message at any time
to ask questions or chat. ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
scmarshtacky

Postby Sphye » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:23 pm

How funny! I thought that it was "if it contains the seeds of the plant, it's a fruit", but I suppose there's a lot of overlap between that and what you said. What does that leave as a vegetable? Carrots, maybe?
by ebriose.

♪♪♪

Postby Silverhart » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:24 pm

Sphye wrote:Edit: Another thing I feel like sharing!
Has anyone ever heard the word "callipygian"? It's pronounced as "kal-uh-pij-ee-un", and it is an adjective meaning "having a shapely buttocks". That's right, now you too can have a fancy-and-sophisticated-sounding word for "nice butt"

Totally using that word Sphye. XD

Welcome SC! *hands trivia cookie*

Hey! Did you know there's a female ostrich at Disney World that had a male ostrich's feathers?

http://www.jamboeveryone.com/2013/02/sally-ostrich.html

When there are no male ostriches, one female changes color so that it appears there is a male around. Males tend to protect young and territories from predators. They want the predators to think there is a man around the house to fight off potential problems.

Yup. Guess Disney got it right in Fantasia with their black and white female ostriches. XD Isn't nature just awesome?
Hellooo!
Silverhart

Next

Return to Fans, Clubs, and Armies