Does anyone enjoy coding?

Form clubs, armies, and have discussions centered around your favorite subjects.

Re: Does anyone enjoy coding?

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Do any of you play cs? c:
IF I LOOSE MYSELF TONIGHT
IT'LL.BE.BY.
your side

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

You.can.feel.the.lights.start.to.tremble.
Washing.what.you.know.out.to.sea.
You.can.see.your.life.out.of.the.window.tonight.

If.I.lose.myself.tonight,
It’ll.be.by.your.side.
I.lose.myself.tonight...
(oh).yeah.yeah.yeah.

If.I.lose.myself.tonight,
It’ll.be.you.and.I.
Lose.myself.tonight...

â—¤....................................................................................................................â—¥
Today I will be organizing my pets-please excuse if I rush through posting.
â—£....................................................................................................................â—¢
Horse

Postby Vazchu » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:45 pm

I started to get interested in coding back in 2005 (because it was around that time I started to use the computer here at home for more than just playing need for speed underground and similar games, lol), way back when quite many still used frames... So HTML was the first thing I learned (lucky me for having a mother who gave me some guidelines and taught me the basic stuff). After that, I think it was sometime during 2007, I decided to learn how CSS worked and spent most of my time trying to figure it out... Again, my mother helped me a little, but since she didn't know all too much about it I spent most of my time trying on my own. And somehow it worked and I actually became better than what my mother was at CSS (lol, guess who was proud?)... And of course, BBcodes are something I've used on every forum that I've ever been active on since 2006 when I was allowed to be on the internet on sites that I could join and such; but in truth I don't really deem that as coding, probably because I see it more as decorating your posts on forums. I guess I think it's much too simple or something, I don't know really...

I've had some classes in coding as well, though, it was mainly because I was forced to due to that the classes I wanted to take didn't start and I had no other choice (so I spent those classes with finishing the stuff I had to do right away (it only took at the most three lessons, aka one and a half week; since I had two lessons each week) and waited about three or four weeks until my classmates had finished their work... In other words I spent my time on forums, youtube or drawing something in Photoshop or Illustrator (or doing homeworks, in case I felt the need to do it), which was a waste of time in my opinion since I could have spent that time to learn something if I had been allowed to have the classes I wanted to take)... And for quite some time I've been thinking about trying to figure out how Java and/or Javascript works as well as I'm curious about PHP... But I've more or less lost my interest for coding for the past few years (I blame it on the classes I had to take...), so I don't really know if I ever will bother with it or not.

Within the darkness two pearls shines bright,
glittering and shimmering in their bluest pride.
Somewhere in the depths there is a silent sound,
a silent song which caused the heart to pound.
It whispers, it tells stories of old, tales of eternity ride,
forgotten within this endless song.
Vazchu

Postby cjr09 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Distortionist wrote:I'm love coding; it's very fun. XD I'm really bad at it, though. cjr09 will pop in here any minute...

It only took me a few months

I almost never look at the General Discussion thread idk why I just don't

But yes let's talk about code
cjr09

Postby Lailic » Sat May 03, 2014 11:09 pm

I enjoy coding although I really can only do some basic stuff. What's the easiest type to get started with? I know a little HTML
Commissions wrote: Currently closed till farther notice

I love you, Avril L. wrote:I like your smile
I like your vibe
I like your style
But that's not why I love you

Lailic wrote:Pronounced: Lay-Lick
Mood: Happy (:
Preferred Pronoun: She/Her

The Sane One The Interesting one The Secretive one The Sassiest One The Quiet one

Lailic

Postby cjr09 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:16 pm

SilverPack wrote:I enjoy coding although I really can only do some basic stuff. What's the easiest type to get started with? I know a little HTML

I started with Python, then moved onto Java. But the first program I used was Alice- a sort of 3D animation studio to get the hang of how everything worked, then Scratch for actually building things. I use JCreator now~

I don't know any HTML- Though I'm trying to learn. I haven't found any good tutorials or things to use.

But I think your best bet would be to start with Java- there's tons of good resources for it, and Java is used really widely for making games and such, and it's fairly easy to understand. Once you have the basics for how a while loop works and where to put if statements it just comes down to syntax- and that's where code differs from one language to another.
cjr09

Postby Lailic » Sat May 03, 2014 11:25 pm

Can you give me a few links to good sites I can use for java? I really have no idea what I would use to practice coding java on XD lol

I like your vibe
I like your style

The Sane One The Interesting one The Secretive one The Sassiest One The Quiet one

Lailic

Postby cjr09 » Sun May 04, 2014 12:21 pm

SilverPack wrote:Can you give me a few links to good sites I can use for java? I really have no idea what I would use to practice coding java on XD lol

Well for starters there's this really wonderful little site called Codingbat that'll give you tons of little problems to work on with varying degrees of difficulty- and it'll give you solutions and more in depth tutorials about how to use the different parameters and stuff.

I have two books that I use for reference- Headfirst Java and Computer Science A Baron's AP Book.

(You can just look those up if you want to have a physical book with you)

Here are a few sites that might be useful-

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/

http://www.learnjavaonline.org/ (This one also does Python, C, Javascript, PHP, Shell, and C#)

http://chortle.ccsu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html (This one's pretty good at written explanations)

And I'll run around trying to find some more, but these are good starters. I would like to point out that coding is hard and it does take a lot of time, but once you get through the starting point of 'What the heck what am I doing' it starts to be really fun~

I've got a goal of learning HTML and Javascript over the summer, so if I find any good tutorials on those I'll be sure to post them here!
cjr09

Postby Lailic » Tue May 06, 2014 3:15 pm

Alright thanks! I'll check them out!

I like your vibe
I like your style

Lailic

Postby Lailic » Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 am

So I started using Coding academy and I'm learning Java script. well I have to make a game for my lesson and while it says I passed I don't like how It shows both answers for the yes response. Can you guys take a look and tell me what im doing wrong its an if/else statement.

confirm("Are you ready to play?");
age = prompt("whats your age?");
if (age < 13)
{
console.log("You are allowed to play but it is discouraged.");
}
else
{
console.log("Get ready to play! You'll do great!");
}
console.log("You are at a Justin Bieber concert, and you hear this lyric 'Lace my shoes off, start racing.'");
console.log("Suddenly, Bieber stops and says, 'Who wants to race me?'");

var userAnswer = prompt("Do you want to race Bieber on stage?");
if
(userAnswer === "yes")
{
console.log("You and Bieber start racing. It's neck and neck! You win by a shoelace!");
}
else
(userAnswer === "no");
{
console.log("Oh no! Bieber shakes his head and sings 'I set a pace, so I can race without pacing.'");
}

var feedback = prompt("How much did you like this game? 1-10");
if
(feedback >= 8)
{
console.log("Thank you! We should race at the next concert!");
}
else
(feedback <=7)
{
console.log("I'll keep practicing coding and racing.");
}

**DISCLAMER I do not like Justin Beiber. I had to use this scenario thing for the game.... When I'm done I'm going to edit the strings so that they say a more likeable celebrity.

I like your vibe
I like your style

Lailic

Postby cjr09 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:20 pm

SilverPack wrote:So I started using Coding academy and I'm learning Java script. well I have to make a game for my lesson and while it says I passed I don't like how It shows both answers for the yes response. Can you guys take a look and tell me what im doing wrong its an if/else statement.

confirm("Are you ready to play?");
age = prompt("whats your age?");
if (age < 13)
{
console.log("You are allowed to play but it is discouraged.");
}
else
{
console.log("Get ready to play! You'll do great!");
}
console.log("You are at a Justin Bieber concert, and you hear this lyric 'Lace my shoes off, start racing.'");
console.log("Suddenly, Bieber stops and says, 'Who wants to race me?'");

var userAnswer = prompt("Do you want to race Bieber on stage?");
if
(userAnswer === "yes")
{
console.log("You and Bieber start racing. It's neck and neck! You win by a shoelace!");
}
else
(userAnswer === "no");
{
console.log("Oh no! Bieber shakes his head and sings 'I set a pace, so I can race without pacing.'");
}

var feedback = prompt("How much did you like this game? 1-10");
if
(feedback >= 8)
{
console.log("Thank you! We should race at the next concert!");
}
else
(feedback <=7)
{
}

**DISCLAMER I do not like Justin Beiber. I had to use this scenario thing for the game.... When I'm done I'm going to edit the strings so that they say a more likeable celebrity.

I'm going to point out that I know Java, but not Javascript, so this might be a little off.

You don't actually need if/else statements here, and using a bunch of if statements should actually make your program run smoother.

Else statements- at least in Java- don't need things after them. As in-

else
(feedback <=7)
{
}

Doesn't need (feedback <= 7) because else covers everything that wasn't in the previous if statement. So you really just need-

else
{
}

- But the other way to make an effective statement like this- at least in Java, still don't know Javascript, I'll look that up after school for you and make sure I'm giving you good information- is to just turn them all into if statements- aside from your very first if statement for determining age.

if(feedback <=7)
{
}

Hope this helped a bit!
cjr09

PreviousNext

Return to Fans, Clubs, and Armies