The Artists Help Thread

Discuss the creative works of various art forms, or post your artwork for critique.

Re: The Artists Help Thread

Postby kiel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:35 pm

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/285/0/a/sunlight_by_silverstarredwall-d82mtrf.png
I was kind of proud about this effect xD But for some reason this is the only one I can do well
kiel

Postby Sphye » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Skye~ wrote:http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/285/0/a/sunlight_by_silverstarredwall-d82mtrf.png
I was kind of proud about this effect xD But for some reason this is the only one I can do well

That's so bright and pretty!

Thistlestar wrote:
Ashenjay wrote:
Thistlestar:
I don't know the character either, but I do think you really concentrated on the hair/headband details well :'D
Although, I think practicing with freer lines and various poses will really improve your drawing :')

thanks for that, i'll definitely try c:
i need to work on poses speaking of which, i'm limited to side and front views,
so i really want to be more flexible with other poses ^^

This is my first fullbody in this new style of coloring i thought i'd give a try [old shading style omg ew lol]
I know my shading is a bit in accurate and I'm trying to work on it but any critiques or comments? ;v;
I really want to improve more haha but mouse is really hard to do it, i need a tablet x.x

Silverhart's suggestion for posing is really good! Other than that, perhaps try more dynamic colours for shading! Trying a dark blue, or perhaps purple, can make a drawing pop. Don't be afraid to play with colours!
The eyes and details that you drew look really nice! Keep up the good work!
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby tharrot » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:02 pm

thank you guys, i will definitely keep that in note for the next time c:

RE&ODDBOX(OLOGY).3
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
V O N : FアL L I N G
.....( t r ! g g e r ) ──────────────

秋季、I N G天

..▌
mind · think · slow down · liar · bonnie & clyde
─────────────────────────
VON // FALLING - TRIGGER ( FALL・ING・ SKY )
i ask, what do you want to do from your birth
to your death ( to your death ) ?

because you smile just like an angel

distorted in the heat ( of summer ) , we fall
through the cracks of the burning buildings

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx—errrrr ! the call has ended.

tharrot

Postby Ashenjay » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:00 am

Okay..I drew a girl from a webcomic. (Just a silly one xD)
There's something just awkward about the shading I can't fix! >:'( Can someone help?

R A Z I M.
"Myth Song Rune"
Ashenjay

Postby kiel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:53 am

Hi everyone! Christmas is coming up, and what I want above everything else at the moment is a drawing tablet owo
NOT SURE IF THIS BELONGS ON THIS THREAD~!
I've never bought stuff like this before so I'm just looking for a bit of input from everyone else before I make my decision...
I've heard of the Bamboo tablet that works pretty well, and searched on amazon for a bit until I came upon this:
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Capt ... let+for+pc

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/suggestions on good drawing tablets? I'm looking for these features:

~Big, but not too big
~Able to connect to the computer to draw(ex. the CS Oekaki)
~Able to use pen pressure and download that as well
~[optional] the computer screen appears on the tablet

Thanks everyone! <3
kiel

Postby Mira » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:18 am

Hello I just started my own adoption on CS and I would like to get any feedback/any help what I could do better.
Here is my first adoptable:

This looks a bit strange because the picture is too large! D: But you can click on it to view the full version! :3

Mira

Postby ιηƒιηιтє. » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:39 am

Hi there! Slightly late to the party, but no matter! cx

Well, I'm Infinite, and I didn't really get into art until I got Paint Tool SAI; honestly, I'm extremely surprised at how much I improved since half a year ago. Just look at this old piece compared to this. Don't mind the irrelevant text. ^^ not exactly the best examples, but the only two that seemed to happen along relatively the same timeline thing. I don't know; it's two in the morning. xP

Umm, let's see, what else; I exclusively use Paint Tool SAI, with occasional dabbling in illustrator and photoshop. I have an incuos tablet, and I love drawing weapons and clothing, as well as hair. I've gotten monumentally better in lines on my artwork, but I'm still having a bit of trouble on coloring; would anyone have a good tutorial on how to make your colors seem less... Flat? ^^"

As for the tutorials I use; I mostly peruse tumblr for that sort of thing. ^^"
ιηƒιηιтє.
Gay and proud.

- - - -
I refuse to submit to
the ridiculousness that is
Burying your gays,
For the community in media
should be a reflection of our lives
not lead to the stomach,
not death by disease
not a standard so often given
that it assumes a stereotyped name.

I refuse to bow to my apparent fate,
of death simply waiting for love,
of that love unrequited;
I will never quit,
and I weep for those
that felt like they had to.
I weep for those butchered
by a pixelated pen.

- - - -

Clexa | Camren | Cophine | Bumbleby | Cartinelli
Sleeping Warrior | Doccubus | Mikaanie | Hollstein
Emison | Beronica | Wayhaught | Korrasami | Shoot

Want a chance to win this (and more!) in a giveaway? Click!
Want to comission me? Send me a PM!
A forever tribute to Monty Oum. RIP ~

CS

TR

IG

SM

TT

ιηƒιηιтє.

Postby deertush » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Welp. I'm home.
I'm new to this site and really want to delve into the art side of this place. B)
I draw things and post them on my deviantart (link). I'm always open to redlining art and helping out others. I specialize in animals, mammals in particular. I've been drawing(in a serious manner) for the past.. two or three years? Uhm.. I use a free program called FireAlpaca to draw because I'm poor. :') Feels great to be here. I can't wait to make some new friends~!
-_____________________________

Hi!
You're really cool and I hope you
have a great day.You are worth it
and there is no one like you who
can do what you are capable of!!
I'm always open to talk with you!

he/him/his pronouns

This dragon is up for sale
! click her to buy !

Postby Silverhart » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:46 am

Let's see if I can answer everything here not yet answered. XP I'm so lazy and unhelpful

Skye~ wrote:http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/285/0/a/sunlight_by_silverstarredwall-d82mtrf.png

Interesting work! I definitely get the feeling of sunlight through leaves, with dust particles floating around, even if it is very abstract. It's nice. ^^

Ashenjay wrote:
Okay..I drew a girl from a webcomic. (Just a silly one xD)
There's something just awkward about the shading I can't fix! >:'( Can someone help?

Looks lovely so far! As for shading, the only thing I notice is there doesn't appear to be a clear shadow. I'm probably gonna botch up this explanation, but here goes: you know how when you draw a sphere for practice, and you learn about the terminator line? That's the darkest part of the shadow where the form starts to turn away from the viewer into the shadow. Your drawing is missing that. You should decide on a light source, and then what ever is not in the light is shadow. So if the light source is from the top left, her right side would be in shadow, and her legs would be in some shadow as well.

No matter how complex a character gets, it's form is always just made up of shapes, and shadows act the same on those shapes. So like with the sphere, a character follows the same rules - with a terminator edge where the form turns away into shadow. The only thing else I can add, is to possibly push the shadow in the cape darker as well. It should get pretty dark since there's really no light hitting inside it.

Skye~ wrote:Hi everyone! Christmas is coming up, and what I want above everything else at the moment is a drawing tablet owo
NOT SURE IF THIS BELONGS ON THIS THREAD~!
I've never bought stuff like this before so I'm just looking for a bit of input from everyone else before I make my decision...
I've heard of the Bamboo tablet that works pretty well, and searched on amazon for a bit until I came upon this:
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Capt ... let+for+pc

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/suggestions on good drawing tablets? I'm looking for these features:

~Big, but not too big
~Able to connect to the computer to draw(ex. the CS Oekaki)
~Able to use pen pressure and download that as well
~[optional] the computer screen appears on the tablet

Thanks everyone! <3

Alas, I don't use a drawing tablet, so I can't help you. I know Aaron Blasie (an artist I greatly admire) uses and recommends Wacom. But I can't speak from personal experience.
Honestly if anyone has more knowledge in this, I'd be interested in hearing it. I've wondered about possibly investing in a good drawing tablet some day.

Insanity Abyss wrote:Hello I just started my own adoption on CS and I would like to get any feedback/any help what I could do better.
Here is my first adoptable:

This looks a bit strange because the picture is too large! D: But you can click on it to view the full version! :3

Ooh! Very pretty! Especially like the shading. The only thing I can think to give feedback on is to work on the underlying structure more. For example the wing part doesn't look like it really connects to the creature, and the right (foreshortened) arm looks like it'd be a bit shorter then the left.
You could try experimenting with just stick figures as starting "skeletons", paying special attention to the joints and how they bend and connect, with squares or ovals for the ribcage, skull, and hips.

ιηƒιηιтє. wrote:
    Hi there! Slightly late to the party, but no matter! cx

Well, I'm Infinite, and I didn't really get into art until I got Paint Tool SAI; honestly, I'm extremely surprised at how much I improved since half a year ago. Just look at this old piece compared to this. Don't mind the irrelevant text. ^^ not exactly the best examples, but the only two that seemed to happen along relatively the same timeline thing. I don't know; it's two in the morning. xP

Umm, let's see, what else; I exclusively use Paint Tool SAI, with occasional dabbling in illustrator and photoshop. I have an incuos tablet, and I love drawing weapons and clothing, as well as hair. I've gotten monumentally better in lines on my artwork, but I'm still having a bit of trouble on coloring; would anyone have a good tutorial on how to make your colors seem less... Flat? ^^"

As for the tutorials I use; I mostly peruse tumblr for that sort of thing. ^^"

Welcome! Wow, that's a great improvement!
As for flat colors, I'm sure there's a good tutorial somewhere, and maybe I'll go looking for one later, but here's my suggestion: You know how on a color wheel the colors across from each other are contrasting? Try taking the contrasting color and putting just a little bit in or around the color. It'll make it really pop! Don't use this extensively, just a little is enough. Use it where you want to create more interest. You can also just vary the shade a bit. If you're painting something red, don't make it all one hue, vary it. Maybe one part is a smidge more orange, or a bit cooler.
Play around with those cool and warm colors too. Make shadows cool, and light areas warm.

deertush wrote:
Welp. I'm home.
I'm new to this site and really want to delve into the art side of this place. B)
I draw things and post them on my deviantart (link). I'm always open to redlining art and helping out others. I specialize in animals, mammals in particular. I've been drawing(in a serious manner) for the past.. two or three years? Uhm.. I use a free program called FireAlpaca to draw because I'm poor. :') Feels great to be here. I can't wait to make some new friends~!

Yes! FireAlpaca is awesome! XD Hurrah for us poor artists! Anyway, your art is really beautiful! ^^ Can't wait to see you around more.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby tharrot » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:24 am

i'm not dead! c: looking for critiques, feedbacks, comments ^^

RE&ODDBOX(OLOGY).3
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
V O N : FアL L I N G
.....( t r ! g g e r ) ──────────────

秋季、I N G天

..▌
mind · think · slow down · liar · bonnie & clyde
VON // FALLING - TRIGGER ( FALL・ING・ SKY )
i ask, what do you want to do from your birth
to your death ( to your death ) ?

because you smile just like an angel

distorted in the heat ( of summer ) , we fall
through the cracks of the burning buildings

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx—errrrr ! the call has ended.

tharrot

PreviousNext

Return to Art Discussion