The Artists Help Thread

Discuss the creative works of various art forms, or post your artwork for critique.

Re: The Artists Help Thread

Postby Sphye » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Thistlestar wrote:
i'm not dead! c: looking for critiques, feedbacks, comments ^^

[img]-snip-[/img]

The way you drew the clothes looks really good! I like the way you shaded it how you did, too.
One thing I noticed is that he lacks eyebrows. Are they meant to be covered by his hair? Eyebrows are really important for expression. ^u^
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby LunaHydreigon » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm curious, how do Artists make these designs fade? What kind of brush do they use? I use Paint Sai, so a guide on tools and settings would help. ^^

--------------------------------------------------------
ImageImage
Founder of Choro-Q Universe | July 16 | Proud Artist
"To Watch & Protect"
~Necro-Plazam, God of Plasma~
LunaHydreigon

Postby deertush » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:39 am

LunaHydreigon wrote:
I'm curious, how do Artists make these designs fade? What kind of brush do they use? I use Paint Sai, so a guide on tools and settings would help. ^^
-snip-

As far as I know, all kiamaras are made with ChickenSmoothie's Oekaki.
And Oekaki has a very basic set of options when it comes to brushes. So brushes shouldn't be a worry.

For a faded look, an artist can use the blend tool or a soft brush(such as airbrush).
It also furthers the blended look if you use a layer in a "blend mode" as it puts the colors in the same color range.

Blend modes are the settings (usually) above the layers that say multiply, addition, subtract, etc.
The most commonly used blend mode used (on kiamaras) is overlay and screen.
But any other blending mode can work as well.

let's see how many times I can say 'blend'
-_____________________________

Hi!
You're really cool and I hope you
have a great day.You are worth it
and there is no one like you who
can do what you are capable of!!
I'm always open to talk with you!

he/him/his pronouns

This dragon is up for sale
! click her to buy !

Postby LunaHydreigon » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:40 am

deertush wrote:
LunaHydreigon wrote:
-snip-

And Oekaki has a very basic set of options when it comes to brushes. So brushes shouldn't be a worry.

For a faded look, an artist can use the blend tool or a soft brush(such as airbrush).
It also furthers the blended look if you use a layer in a "blend mode" as it puts the colors in the same color range.

Blend modes are the settings (usually) above the layers that say multiply, addition, subtract, etc.

Oh I see! C:
I was making a customer some try out art, and it came out like this:
http://lunahydreigon.deviantart.com/art ... -503652433

ImageImage
Founder of Choro-Q Universe | July 16 | Proud Artist
"To Watch & Protect"
~Necro-Plazam, God of Plasma~
LunaHydreigon

Postby SilentObserver » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Well... This has been bothering me for some time ^^; I've tried and tried but I can't ever get human anatomy correct (._. ) Anyone mind helping? Such as anime styles/chibi, I don't have much interest in realistic art ;w;
SilentObserver

Postby Silverhart » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:20 am

SilentObserver wrote:
Well... This has been bothering me for some time ^^; I've tried and tried but I can't ever get human anatomy correct (._. ) Anyone mind helping? Such as anime styles/chibi, I don't have much interest in realistic art ;w;

Well, I don't know much about anime/chibi art, but I've always been of the opinion that you need a strong foundation in realism before you can really master caricature. Currently, that's what I'm trying to do - build up my foundations. It's one thing if you learn to draw people a certain way, but if you understand how to work "realistically" (i.e. understanding anatomy, how light and shadows fall, how to create dimension and texture, etc. etc.), you can draw any way you want, any time you want.

The best thing you can do is study real people, as well as study the work of artists and illustrators you admire. Sit down with a sketch book, and start drawing the people around you. Find reference photos or illustrations of specific body parts, and draw them again, and again, and again. Memorize how things connect, and fold and bend. Experiment with different styles. Observe how artists you admire simplify or exaggerate certain characteristics, and then try to replicate that. Keep challenging yourself, and keep practicing. There is no magic formula to drawing well; and humans are the most difficult things to draw right. You're going to fail a lot (take it from someone who failed, and continues to do so, a lot), but just stick to it.

I'm not sure what other advice I can offer beyond that, not knowing the specificness of your problems. I'm not sure if you're struggling with proportions, or specific anatomy, or what.
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby Tundra » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:49 am

deertush wrote:
LunaHydreigon wrote:
-snip-

On the Oekaki..the brush is called the watercolor tool...what it dose is mixs the colors, the more layers ya place, the color to the color you picked.
Always Hoarding Griffins
Art best viewed on Mozilla
Tundra

Postby ιηƒιηιтє. » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:15 am

Silverhart wrote:
SilentObserver wrote:

Well, I don't know much about anime/chibi art, but I've always been of the opinion that you need a strong foundation in realism before you can really master caricature. Currently, that's what I'm trying to do - build up my foundations. It's one thing if you learn to draw people a certain way, but if you understand how to work "realistically" (i.e. understanding anatomy, how light and shadows fall, how to create dimension and texture, etc. etc.), you can draw any way you want, any time you want.

The best thing you can do is study real people, as well as study the work of artists and illustrators you admire. Sit down with a sketch book, and start drawing the people around you. Find reference photos or illustrations of specific body parts, and draw them again, and again, and again. Memorize how things connect, and fold and bend. Experiment with different styles. Observe how artists you admire simplify or exaggerate certain characteristics, and then try to replicate that. Keep challenging yourself, and keep practicing. There is no magic formula to drawing well; and humans are the most difficult things to draw right. You're going to fail a lot (take it from someone who failed, and continues to do so, a lot), but just stick to it.

I'm not sure what other advice I can offer beyond that, not knowing the specificness of your problems. I'm not sure if you're struggling with proportions, or specific anatomy, or what.

I very much second this!

If you want to start drawing people, you have to get the basics of anatomy down. Often times, people simply just copy other styles and end up making mistakes that they don't know they're making, simply because everyone has flaws and the art they're trying to imitate has them too. Study poses, human anatomy, things like that; study proportion, placement, etc. Before you try to draw variations on your own style. c:
ιηƒιηιтє.
Gay and proud.

- - - -
I refuse to submit to
the ridiculousness that is
Burying your gays,
For the community in media
should be a reflection of our lives
not lead to the stomach,
not death by disease
not a standard so often given
that it assumes a stereotyped name.

I refuse to bow to my apparent fate,
of death simply waiting for love,
of that love unrequited;
I will never quit,
and I weep for those
that felt like they had to.
I weep for those butchered
by a pixelated pen.

- - - -

Clexa | Camren | Cophine | Bumbleby | Cartinelli
Sleeping Warrior | Doccubus | Mikaanie | Hollstein
Emison | Beronica | Wayhaught | Korrasami | Shoot

Want a chance to win this (and more!) in a giveaway? Click!
Want to comission me? Send me a PM!
A forever tribute to Monty Oum. RIP ~

CS

TR

IG

SM

TT

ιηƒιηιтє.

Postby Ravenpaw » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Hello! I've been searching for a drawing tablet for a beginner (me) but I don't know which one will be good for me to start out! Does anyone have any suggestions on which ones are good for beignets? I was thinking this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HGBF9W/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
(The capture pen one)

but I still dunno! Thanks!

Chicken Smoothie

Flight Rising

Hello there! You may have known me as ArcticGold on CS!
I love Doctor Who, Supernatural, Free! ISC, Legend of Korra, Hetalia, and Attack on Titan! Feel free to pm me about any of these! I like to draw, play piano, and swim!
NOTICE: PM me if I don't respond to a trade within 2 days
Ravenpaw

Postby Mira » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Avatar Korra wrote:Hello! I've been searching for a drawing tablet for a beginner (me) but I don't know which one will be good for me to start out! Does anyone have any suggestions on which ones are good for beignets? I was thinking this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HGBF9W/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
(The capture pen one)

but I still dunno! Thanks!

I was a beginner 6 Months ago and I use this tablet:
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Touc ... +and+touch

It's pretty good for beginners and also for advanced artists. You should give it a shot. ^^

Mira

PreviousNext

Return to Art Discussion