Critique Wanted! | Digital Art

Discuss the creative works of various art forms, or post your artwork for critique.

Critique Wanted! | Digital Art

Postby carmel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Hey everyone!
This is my first attempt at realism with digital art, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on how I could improve? Maybe some tips or any brush packs you might recommend would help me greatly, as well as critique on the drawing itself or the anatomy c:

I tried to go for a realistic 'painting' look with it but I wasn't exactly sure how. I was limited to only four brushes that gave the piece that painting feel so xD

Thanks so much!
carmel

Re: Critique Wanted! | Digital Art

Postby ιηƒιηιтє. » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Hey there Tweedie! c:

I am by no means an expert in realism, or in drawing horses, and style should also be factored in, but here are some things I can comment on:

First, a way to make a digital piece more "realistic" is to consistently use one type of brush for a piece. While size may change, changes in blending, density, etc. might make the piece seem more inorganic and fabricated, as oftentimes differing saturations and textures are a lot harder to achieve with more traditional mediums. c:

Another way is to utilise more hard shading and contrast. I'm not entirely sure what specific traditional medium you were going for, but oftentimes it is a lot harder to blend in most traditional mediums than it is digitally, although with time and experience I'm sure it's possible in all of them. However, higher contrast would be able to bring out the textures in your peace and remove any worry of an overly blended piece, even if it is blended perfectly. c:

I assume you use Photoshop, or something along those lines; the brush texture itself is completely up in the air and depends on the styles that you're going for, but I myself enjoy using a flat brush with high hardness and ~70% opacity to simulate some forms of painting, along with a round brush with ~60/70 hardness and ~70 opacity with grainy texture (or Noise, I believe?) for pencil. There are also some brush settings that I know you can use to achieve watercolour, and of course spray paint using airbrushes.

If you're using Paint Tool Sai or a program that operates using persistence, dilution, etc, I like using ~35 across all three for most of my art as it helps with hard shading, but of course that changes with medium as well. :)

I hope this helps! The horse looks incredible. <3
ιηƒιηιтє.
Gay and proud.

- - - -
I refuse to submit to
the ridiculousness that is
Burying your gays,
For the community in media
should be a reflection of our lives
not lead to the stomach,
not death by disease
not a standard so often given
that it assumes a stereotyped name.

I refuse to bow to my apparent fate,
of death simply waiting for love,
of that love unrequited;
I will never quit,
and I weep for those
that felt like they had to.
I weep for those butchered
by a pixelated pen.

- - - -

Clexa | Camren | Cophine | Bumbleby | Cartinelli
Sleeping Warrior | Doccubus | Mikaanie | Hollstein
Emison | Beronica | Wayhaught | Korrasami | Shoot

Want a chance to win this (and more!) in a giveaway? Click!
Want to comission me? Send me a PM!
A forever tribute to Monty Oum. RIP ~

CS

TR

IG

SM

TT

ιηƒιηιтє.

Re: Critique Wanted! | Digital Art

Postby carmel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 am

@ιηƒιηιтє.

Ah, thank you for your advice! Your critique always helps me become a better artist, so thank you! I did a little test run on the brush settings you suggested and they're a perfect texture! I appreciate this- thank you so much!
carmel

Return to Art Discussion