Now Hiring- New Mods and Archivist

All news and changes to the Eldemore website will be posted here.

Now Hiring- New Mods and Archivist

Postby Benathorn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:45 am

Mod & Archivist Applications

Hello all you Eldemorians! As I am sure you have noticed by now, our site has been growing at an exponential rate, thus, we find ourselves in need of more moderator aid as well as an entirely new position: an archivist. We certainly did not expect our site to grow this fast and the staff can not express our joy at how many of you have come to enjoy the site and create such a caring and enthusiastic community! We want to give some of you the opportunity to help and be more involved with the community as a whole and hope those who offer their time to the site will help us continue to make this a wonderful place for its members/future members to enjoy. So without further adieu, let us get to the details of what we are looking for~

There have been several complaints recently regarding the age restrictions on staff positions.

We would like to elaborate on the reasons for these restrictions. They may seem harsh, but they have been considered very carefully to maximize inclusion, but also to provide the best possible team for the site.

Due to the content moderators may encounter, Eldemore wishes to ensure that all staff members are both emotionally and legally mature enough to view and to handle any difficult material which may need to be handled on the site. While there has not been a great problem with graphic or adult content so far, it is an ongoing risk, and the admin team does not feel comfortable exposing minors to this sort of thing. Not only is it unfair to the moderators to make them view things they may not be ready for, but it puts the site at risk to allow that sort of exposure to minors. The staff is in place to protect the users of Eldemore, and in turn, the admin feel obliged to protect the staff.

Even if users are prepared to view mature content and do not feel bothered by it, difficult conflict can arise behind the scenes, and this requires quick and decisive action. As admins, we wish to select users who are both mature and unbiased, and also have the advantage of experience, to handle these sorts of issues as efficiently as possible. While we do not want to discriminate against age, the reality is that older users are often more objective, and have better experience in terms of keeping calm in high-pressure situations. Staff positions can often result in tight deadlines and high pressure, and moderator decisions can be unpopular. The site needs users who are both willing to be placed under scrutiny and also a fair amount of dislike. The staff, and much of the site, would feel more comfortable putting an older user into this role, to ensure the best possible decisions and actions, and the best possible understanding of those actions.

We thank you for your dedication, and we are very grateful that you are all so keen to help Eldemore flourish. We are sorry if any of our restrictions upset you, but we are not willing to compromise on this at this time. For the good of the site, and for the good of our users, these guidelines must be put in place, and we strongly intend to uphold them.

What's an Archivist?
This is a new position that we have decided to create to both incorporate with our Eldemore lore and offer a position to someone who will keep records of the monthly pet outcomes. This task was generally spread between staff members, but has proven to be difficult to keep up with along with our other duties, so we are looking for an individual whose sole purpose would be to update the monthly outcomes thread for each release. For Eld, the Archivist would be the 'Wise old man/woman' of our site. This means we will be choosing someone with an extensive knowledge of the site's lore, pets, and rarities to archive the monthly outcomes each month on the threads. Though we will have our own, separate pet archives, the monthly outcome thread will offer both new and old users a quick glance of either events or pets for the month. This will be a demanding job if you are not familiar with the site's layout or how things usually work on here, so only apply for this position if you feel confident about your knowledge and ability to help with outcomes and rarities. We will only be choosing one for now, but you will be a respected member of the team and also someone everyone will look to for any and all knowledge of Eldemore.

Requirements:
The requirements for an Archivist generally speak for itself, but here a few things we are looking for in the member that will take this position.

The Archivist:

- Must be at least 16 years of age or older.

- Must have ample time to devote to the site and others. (Please do not consider applying if you know you will not have the time to do so! We understand life and school must come first, so only apply if you believe you have the time to give towards the site.)

- Has an extensive knowledge of the site's lore and layout as well as its pets, site events, rarities and worth.

- Knows important links and information that can be useful to new members as well as pet names and outcomes for each sets for every month along with their rarities.

- Knows how to use Photobucket as well as have an account there so that you can post pet images without having the image change while it grows.

- Must also know how to format and use the thread's coding to create an easy to read and understand Outcomes Thread.

- And most importantly: Is knowledgeable and helpful to everyone they meet!

Archivist Application:
As you can see, the requirements are not too difficult or extensive. We are only looking for one member that can offer both their time and knowledge of Eld to everyone on the site. So if you believe you fit all these requirements and wish to help, please fill out the form below and post only in this thread. You will have from January 27th till February 10th to submit your applications-- this is libel to change if not enough or too many apps are submitted. We will then take the time to review and contact the member we feel will best serve the site and its many users. Any questions you may have can be PM'd to either me or Jendalie. In the meantime, we look forward to your forms~

Code: Select all
[size=150][b]-Archivist Application-[/b][/size]

[b]Name:[/b] (Please only submit your username here.)

[b]Description:[/b] (Give a brief description of your understanding of Eld lore and its pets/rarities. We would also like for you to tell us of how you can be of help to both new/old users and if you've had any prior experience to moderating for other forums or sites. Also be sure that you know the site's coding format for threads and that you have a Photobucket account to store pet images.

[b]Extra:[/b] (Any extra info you feel is relevant to tell us may be written here.)

---------------------------------------------------------

What's a Moderator?
A moderator is someone who dedicates their time to both helping the site and its users. Not only must you have a general knowledge of the site's terms of use and rules, but you will be someone that others turn to for help if there is an issue or dispute which needs to be solved. Moderators keep the site flowing smoothly and have the ability to delete and move threads or posts for users that request it. They are also individuals who can be approached freely if you have any questions and devote their time to helping you and the site to the best of their abilities. You will also be sometimes tasked with creating new monthly/event trade threads and will often deal with user reports that need to be attended to each day. To be a moderator is a full time job that requires dedication and an open personality that can make you approachable, so if you feel you have the time and wish to offer your assistance in helping this site, then fill out the application below~

Requirements:
The requirements for becoming a moderator are listed below. If you have any questions then please either PM me or Jendalie.

The Moderator:

- Must be at least 16 years of age or older.

- Has ample time to devote to the site and others. (Please do not consider applying if you know you will not have the time to do so! We understand life and school must come first, so only apply if you believe you have the time to give towards the site.)

- Has general knowledge of the site's rules for all threads and knows the Terms of Use. Our Terms of Use are updated on a regular basis, so it is very important that you keep up-to-date on it so that you may inform us or others if any terms broken.

- Knows important links and information that can be useful to new members as well as help with any user reports or staff work.

- Knows how to navigate phpBB forums or already has common knowledge of the moderator tool used for this layout. (If you do not, then it will be taught to you once you are accepted, but we do expect you to know the forums and how they work in general.)

- And most importantly: Is kind and helpful to everyone they meet!

Moderator Application:
The same as before, the requirements are not too difficult or extensive for this position. We are looking for one to two members that can offer both their time and help to everyone on the site. So if you believe you fit all of these requirements and wish to help, please fill out the form below and post only in this thread. You will have from January 27th til February 10th to submit your applications-- this is libel to change if not enough or too many apps are submitted. We will then take the time to review and contact the member we feel will best serve the site and its many users. Any questions you may have can be PM'd to either me or Jendalie, in the meantime, we look forward to your forms~

Code: Select all
[size=150][b]-Moderator Application-[/b][/size]

[b]Name:[/b] (Please only submit your username here.)

[b]Description:[/b] (Please give a brief description of your understanding of the site's rules, important links, and terms of use. We would also like for you to tell us how you can be of help to new users and if you've had any prior experience moderating for other forums or sites. We are also looking for someone who knows phpBB forums in general, so if you do please give us some info on your knowledge of the layout or mod tools. You may also list your experience with other forum software as well.)

[b]Extra:[/b] (Any extra info you feel is relevant to tell us may be written here.)
Benathorn
Administrator

Re: Now Hiring- New Mods and Archivist

Postby Silverfang » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am

Nooo...the age limit...

But I guess this means we'll have archives up shortly! ^^
Last edited by Silverfang on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me, for my dreams.

You, for your dreams.
Silverfang

Postby Aralas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Do we either post our forms here or message them to you? ^^;
Staff Member from 2014 to 2017.
This site will always hold a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I'll no longer be able to remain an active member, but I wish you all the very, very best.
Aralas

Postby Benathorn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:46 pm

You may post all applications for these two positions here.
Only the artist apps are PM'd directly to us. ^^
Benathorn
Administrator

Postby Aralas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:25 pm

-Archivist Application-

Name: Aralas

Description:

Since I started the game back in September, I've been studying the Eldemore Lore quite frequently because it really intrigues me. I have pretty good knowledge of the many races such as runes, ligers, drakes ect...
I really like the locations and other lore that I've found while looking through the helpful and informative threads. The events are probably one of my favorite parts about this virtual adoptable site because everything is tied in so well with the story line.

I have a very good knowledge of rarities and worth and I've helped many users with their trades in the past. I'm a frequent visitor to the "Is this a fair trade thread," and by message, either here or on CS, I help out with offsite trading as well.

I understand that most of the forums are based off of BBCode which I'm very familiar with. As opposed to the Archives, I'm not sure what type of coding is used and all, but hopefully I can figure it out and make that archive shiny and brand new; running very smoothly.

Finally, I'm absolutely positive I have ample time to give the proper dedication and hard work this job requires. I'm on Eldemore all the time, more than seven hours on weekends and four to five on weekdays; so I know I can devote my time and use it wisely to get this archive ready to go.

Extra:

I have a photobucket account and I have extensive knowledge on the usage of that site. If you need the link to it, I can provide it in a private message or in the form. :)

Thank you very much for the opportunity to help contribute to some exciting changes to this fantastic site.
Staff Member from 2014 to 2017.
This site will always hold a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I'll no longer be able to remain an active member, but I wish you all the very, very best.
Aralas

Postby t e a m f r e e w i l l » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Dat age limit! Gersh Dern it! I will be waiting!
Carry on my wayward son,
ImageImage Image
There'll be peace when you are done
t e a m f r e e w i l l

Postby cjr09 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:31 pm

-Moderator Application-

Name: cjr09

Description: I'm well aware of all of the site's rules and regulations- I've read the Terms and Conditions quite a few times, so I have a handle on everything that is okay and is not okay. As far as the Important Links go, I have all of them that I feel could be of use saved to my computer so I can put the right ones wherever I need to- including the Site Q&A link, Important Links Thread link, Monthly Creature Chat link, the Unofficial Archives and assorted others I'm sure you don't want me to list.

I'm very familiar with phpBB layouts from both here and on Chicken Smoothie, but I'm afraid I don't know how to manipulate it- I'm familiar with both Python and Java coding, but I only have minimal knowledge of HTML coding.

I only have no experience in modding- really, the only thing that could sort-of qualify as being a mod is greeting newbies and giving them links and advice.

Though I do keep tabs on every Eldemore board, excluding General Discussion and Forum Games, but I usually check out every thread.

Extra: As of right now, my computer has time settings I'm working to rid myself of- that runs from, at my time, 11 PM to 7 AM- In Eld time, 12AM to 8AM, so I won't be around for the second the pets come out. It's a mistake my dad made, and when he gets home in about a week it will be fixed, but until then I'm stuck this way. But every other waking moment will be devoted to this site- not like I haven't already given you my soul- and I'll do my best to be helpful.
cjr09

Postby rose; » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Ive been waiting for an opportunity like this forever, and I am so close to being 16 ;-; I've always wanted to be of some help to the team... Darn.
I wish everyone the best of luck though c:
just gifting out my collection. no longer really have time.
rose;

Postby Coyote » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 pm

-Moderator Application-

Name: Kai

Description: I have en excellent understanding of the site rules, especially since many of them revolve around common sense. Some of them include one account per person, no spam, and no swearing anywhere aside from in character during a role play, among many more.
It's no trouble at all to direct other users to threads and links of interest. The forum rules are posted above the topics in the forums and the pet archive threads are under 'Eldemore Discussion', for example. Outside of the threads, there's trading, your homestead, and the bazaar that are easy to access and simple to explain, navigation-wise. I have some of these threads bookmarked, for my own use, but most are so simple to access I find I don't need to bookmark them. (Very user-friendly, guys. Good job!)
The terms of use are, again, fairly straightforward. I always make sure to read up on it and refresh myself every so often, especially if I hear they've been updated.
How can I help? I'm knowledgeable, articulate, and easy to get along with, so I'm wonderful at explaining questions and such. Besides that, I'm always open for friendly chats and would be happy to 'mentor' new members until they get the hang of the site, as I have done in the past. This creates a positive atmosphere where I can offer advice and support while introducing them into the community and being a 'first friend', of sorts.
I was a Global Moderator on a site by the name of 'Avian Alley'. (It has since been disabled due to administrator inactivity.) I have also managed my own role play threads on sites elsewhere and been selected to help manage other threads. On January 30th I was asked to help moderate a thread on Chicken Smoothie, here. I'm currently a chat room moderator on a site called 'Pokemon Showdown'.
I have years of user-based knowledge of phpBB, and some previous knowledge of moderator tools from my old Global Moderator position on Avian Alley, which used phpBB, but that was almost two years ago so I might appreciate a brief refresher to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.
I have some very basic knowledge of HTML and BBC coding, as well.

Extra: I'm a night owl, so I can patrol the site in the wee hours of the night when many other moderators are probably sleeping. (My timezone is very similar to Eldemore's.) I'm online during the day as well, especially the afternoon.
I can speak some Spanish, enough to get by in a regular conversation.
I am not easily offended by arguments, insults, or anything like that, and can act as an unbaised mediator in those occasions when people aren't getting along. I prefer to sort things out using reason and understanding, but I'm not afraid to put my foot down if need be.
Finally, thanks for this awesome opportunity! I'd really love to be able to share my time and experience with you all. Hugs for everyone!
Last edited by Coyote on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
x《▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃》
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

▀▄▅
▀▄▅
▀▄▅
▀▄▅
▀▄▅

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
▅▄▀
▅▄▀
▅▄▀
▅▄▀
▅▄▀

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
x《▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃》
Coyote

Postby Benathorn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:41 pm

There have been several complaints recently regarding the age restrictions on staff positions.

We would like to elaborate on the reasons for these restrictions. They may seem harsh, but they have been considered very carefully to maximize inclusion, but also to provide the best possible team for the site.

Due to the content moderators may encounter, Eldemore wishes to ensure that all staff members are both emotionally and legally mature enough to view and to handle any difficult material which may need to be handled on the site. While there has not been a great problem with graphic or adult content so far, it is an ongoing risk, and the admin team does not feel comfortable exposing minors to this sort of thing. Not only is it unfair to the moderators to make them view things they may not be ready for, but it puts the site at risk to allow that sort of exposure to minors. The staff is in place to protect the users of Eldemore, and in turn, the admins feel obliged to protect the staff.

Even if users are prepared to view mature content and do not feel bothered by it, difficult conflicts can arise behind the scenes, and this requires quick and decisive action. As admins, we wish to select users who are both mature and unbiased, and also have the advantage of experience, to handle these sorts of issues as efficiently as possible. While we do not want to discriminate against age, the reality is that older users are often more objective, and have better experience in terms of keeping calm in high-pressure situations. Staff positions can often result in tight deadlines and high pressure, and moderator decisions can be unpopular. The site needs users who are both willing to be placed under scrutiny and also a fair amount of dislike. The staff, and much of the site, would feel more comfortable putting an older user into this role, to ensure the best possible decisions and actions, and the best possible understanding of those actions.

We thank you for your dedication, and we are very grateful that you are all so keen to help Eldemore flourish. We are sorry if any of our restrictions upset you, but we are not willing to compromise on this at this time. For the good of the site, and for the good of our users, these guidelines must be put in place, and we strongly intend to uphold them.

----

This has been added to the main post at the top, but I wanted to give a more detailed reason as to why we have age restrictions. They are there to help, not hinder, and the restrictions will not be changed nor can we be persuaded to allow younger members join our team for any reason.

There are so many ways to help out with the site. Simply not having the title of moderator does not hamper your abilities to give aid to other users or to our current staff. If anything, the staff and our team need the help of our members to report anything they find which is breaking the rules or may be inappropriate for this site. Most of the reports and PM's we receive are from users who are simply vigilant and who bring matters to our attention. So always remember that you are all able to help us more than you think without having the title of a moderator to state your status. Anyone can be a moderator for the site just by being there to help and keep an eye out for anything suspicious and rule breaking; that is open for anyone to do.
Benathorn
Administrator

Next

Return to Announcements